Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landscaping issue

Options
  • 14-07-2008 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

i am putting this here because i am sure one of you guys has had experience with this.

I am not looking for legal advise..... just good advice.

my sister got a quote off a landscaper to level the back garden and seed it.

anyway long story short she said she would get back to them when she wanted the work done as she wanted to get other quotes first.

next thing she gets a phone call saying that the work is done and finished and they want paying.

and to top it off the job done is not that great.

she has not spoken to them yet but they have left numerous missed calls and voicemails. she is nearly afraid to talk to them as she has not got the money or did not give them the go ahead to do this.

so what does anyone reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

How long did the work take?
    Did she not notice them in the back garden?

It might be hard to prove no contract was agreed. People don't usually turn up and do work in the hope they will get paid!

Still it could be a great scam! Give a big quote, turn up and do the job and embarass people into paying..... risky, but could just be true!

I know from experience, if contractors insulate the wrong house, its their own hard luck, their loss, not sure in your sisters case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Its a case of crossed wires or they are taking advantage. Either way your sister needs help and I suggest getting a 'middleman' involved, local councillor, garda, or someone known to both parties who can fairly judge the situation and advise accordingly.

I honoustly think this one will go all the way to a judges table.

Thats only my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

She's gotta be tough and firm here if she definately didn't give the go ahead on it.
    Get a tough sounding bloke to ring up for her maybe.
    Sounds dodgy to me.

This might be best in consumer issues also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

RKQ wrote: »
    How long did the work take?
    Did she not notice them in the back garden?

It might be hard to prove no contract was agreed. People don't usually turn up and do work in the hope they will get paid!

Still it could be a great scam! Give a big quote, turn up and do the job and embarass people into paying..... risky, but could just be true!

I know from experience, if contractors insulate the wrong house, its their own hard luck, their loss, not sure in your sisters case.

she was gone all weekend so i could have took 2 days!!

she def did not give the go ahead for it cos it was the first wuote she got and she wanted more. AFAIK.

i was thinking that they were low on work. fancied there chances of pressuring money out of her!! its unfortunate if it has come to that!!

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »

It might be hard to prove no contract was agreed. .

would it also be the case that it would be hard to prove that there actually was a contract agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The work took two days.... over a whole weekend!
    How can you prove these guys took a chance?

It will look like a contract was agreed and your sister when away for the weekend, to let them at it.
    (How did they know she was away?)

A Judge is going to find this hard to believe!
    Get some sort of agreement sorted.

I'm sorry but its hard to believe... maybe its the perfect scam!

its totally coincidental. she obviously not going to tell a bunch of lads that her house will be empty for a whole weekend. and as far as i know she got the quote of these guys 2 weeks ago!

with no date agreed or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This isn't the place to discuss this topic.

Moved to consumer issues.

Anyone here in consumer issues with any views or opinions on this matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

do they look like they might also go around offering to fix leaky roofs or guttering?

get all the details you can about them and also go see a local guard or councillor for indepandant advice on what to do but i would not pay a cent for work i had not requested or authorised and would look into taking an action against them for ruining the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Was there any paper-trail? I would have expected a written quote that had to be signed by a customer, should it be acceptable.

Depending on who these characters are, they may well be the sort who pay a return visit and make an even bigger mess of the garden if they don't get their hands on the loot.

Whoever they are, they need to be told that your sister's solicitor has expressed an interest in what happens.

no paper trail. seemingly he is a quite reputable local gardener

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

She should contact them and offer to pay half the quoted amount. See where it goes from there. Apart from that, she'll need to get a solicitor involved, as the gardener is going to argue that she agreed for them to start the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Martron wrote: »
    no paper trail. seemingly he is a quite reputable local gardener

I doubt that if he is pulling these stunts, chances are he has done it before.

Hard part is finding out, talk to the gardaí see if they have any similar complaints, one thing you can do and I'm not joking is Talk To Joe, it would be a very effective way of getting other people that might have been scammed involved.

Your sister has been had and she needs to be very firm on this, she has nothing in writing except a quote, verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jor el wrote: »
    She should contact them and offer to pay half the quoted amount. See where it goes from there. Apart from that, she'll need to get a solicitor involved, as the gardener is going to argue that she agreed for them to start the work.

Bad Idea, offering to pay half would indicate you wanted the work done.

Advertisement