Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probe into smoking drug after suicide link

Options
  • 14-07-2008 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I thought some of you might want to read this.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/probe-into-smoking-drug-after-suicide-link-1432674.html

I’m off the smokes eight days now, cold turkey, but before I gave them up I went to my doctor for some advice and he prescribed this drug, Champix, to me.

Due to the high cost I thought feck it, I’ll give it a go cold turkey, and if it fails I can always fall back on the Champix. I’m doing great with the cold turkey method and the cravings don't really bother me now.
    I’m really glad I didn't try that drug now. Scary stuff, the doctor made no mention of side effects or anything related to it!

Anywho just a heads up for those of you thinking about it,

Mickey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Im on the Champix 12 days now.
    day 1:numbness/tingling feeling in my mouth,kept going though,
    on day 10 I had to halve the dose as I had cramps and I was vomiting after each tablet,side effects are real ****ty,I had them all!Dont really want to list them,.but I only take the evening tablet now and that is after a hefty meal still feel the sickness and queasyness but not as bad.
    I have given up before going cold turkey,but always went back after a few months so I am determined this time,I havent smoked in 4 days now,still have cravings not as bad and not as often(Children on Summer hoildays not helping much)!!
    I will keep u posted.
    Siobhán

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I know it goes without saying, but you definitely should talk to your doctor before taking anything like this.

I can't recommend the Allen Carr book enough though.

I chickened out of reading it half way through because I was afraid it would stop me from smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I got the Allen Carr book as a pressie from my wife 2 years ago and stopped reading it for the same reason.I then lent it to a neighbour who lent it on to someone who lent it on etc. etc .In all 8 people have quit because of the one book and meanwhile I'm still on 30 a day.Bugger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

Thanks Terry.could'nt figure that thingy out so I just went and bought the book again.going to spend e couple of weeks with it ,to get used to the idea of quitting and then give it a good lash.
    cheers

Advertisement