Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For those who haven't seen it:

msft-e308-keynote-9-8.jpg

Hate it - Nintendo phoned.. they want their Mii's back! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

basquille wrote: »
    For those who haven't seen it:

msft-e308-keynote-9-8.jpg

Hate it - Nintendo phoned.. they want their Mii's back! :D

Exactly what i was thinking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I'm 33.I really don't want to be playing with avatars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, although you have to say - the interface is pretty slick looking. It'll be interesting to see it in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The new interface does look good, a tip towards Vista imo. The Avatars are not so good in my opinion, MS please leave them on the Wii or make them optional. If they made them as your gamercard with a pair of arms and legs all the better.

• Advertisement

Yes,if you had the option of no avatars it might be ok but it seems MS have based the whole interface on avatars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

How do you get this new dashboard, does it just appear as an update, I've been online for about half an hour now and still nothing updated:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I just got out of my cave. Is this actually happening? and soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It looks like Windows Media Centre to me. It's a meh. At least you know that all them gamerpics you bought will be going down the drain and replaced with avatars.

How do you get this new dashboard, does it just appear as an update, I've been online for about half an hour now and still nothing updated:(

When they announced it they said "This Fall".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bros123 wrote: »
    When they announced it they said "This Fall".

Ah! Just wishful thinking on my part then. I thought it was out now!

Ah! Just wishful thinking on my part then. I thought it was out now!

I don't know about wishful thinking,I think it looks terrible!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I like my blades. boooo-urns to the new interface by the looks of that pic. hopefully ther'll be a "classic interface" mode or somthing like that.
    creggy wrote: »
    It looks like Windows Media Centre to me. It's a meh. At least you know that all them gamerpics you bought will be going down the drain and replaced with avatars.

Do people actually buy them!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

The new update will also allow optional HD install of disk games. As an Elite owner this is the best news of the day as far as I'm concerned.

Faster load times, reduced pop-in and more importantly less turbo jet engine noises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I like the new dashboard...the one currently being used is getting rather old.I must admit that i dont like the avatar thing..and what will happen to themes and gamerpics that people have bought over the past few years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well the old dashboard will still be there, within the new one.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Well the old dashboard will still be there, within the new one.

The old dashboard won't be there,the new one is mandatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

The old dashboard won't be there,the new one is mandatory.

From Official Microsoft Press Release:
    Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it’s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hmm not really liking this. Haven't seen it in action so this may change, but I really don't like the avatar nonsense: despise Miis, and these don't seem any better. Call me old fashioned, but the faceless user settings are doing me just fine :pac:

-annex- wrote: »
    From Official Microsoft Press Release:
    Dashboard built into the new Xbox Guide. For everyone who loves the blades interface, it’s not going away; they are now built directly in to the new Xbox guide. Every feature and option is available right from the guide. You can even access your full games library at all times. No matter where you are (in dash or in game), immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game.

Well this is what Engadget are reporting:

Xbox Dashboard / Guide and Live

* "No functionality goes away" in new Dash -- so you won't be missing anything you have now.
    * Microsoft's Shane Kim says the company has "no plans to create a [Sony] 'Home'-like environment. ... It's about delivering base functionality at the service level." So it sounds like the avatars won't have a Home-like virtual theme-park to run around in.
    * No comment was made about Xbox price drops or how long it will take to get to the all-important $199 price point.
    * There will be no increase in your number of Xbox Live friends. Psh.
    * Don't like the new Dashboard look or avatars? Sorry, sucka, it's a mandatory update. Hey, at least it's free.
    * Microsoft didn't have any comment on what it intends to do about the whole modded controller thing.
    * The content Marketplace will be overhauled and revamped to ensure it's easier to navigate and much more scalable for the huge amount of content it's got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Well this is what Engadget are reporting:

Xbox Dashboard / Guide and Live

* "No functionality goes away" in new Dash -- so you won't be missing anything you have now.
    * Microsoft's Shane Kim says the company has "no plans to create a [Sony] 'Home'-like environment. ... It's about delivering base functionality at the service level." So it sounds like the avatars won't have a Home-like virtual theme-park to run around in.
    * No comment was made about Xbox price drops or how long it will take to get to the all-important $199 price point.
    * There will be no increase in your number of Xbox Live friends. Psh.
    * Don't like the new Dashboard look or avatars? Sorry, sucka, it's a mandatory update. Hey, at least it's free.
    * Microsoft didn't have any comment on what it intends to do about the whole modded controller thing.
    * The content Marketplace will be overhauled and revamped to ensure it's easier to navigate and much more scalable for the huge amount of content it's got.

You stated that the old dashboard "won't be there". The engadget article doesn't say that at all. The statement I posted comes from Xbox Live General Manager Marc Whitten, courtesy of Major Nelson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Annex is right. The current dashboard will be scaled down and now be the Xbox Guide.

25ur2io.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It does look a but plain but I am presuming you will be able to change themes/backgrounds. If you cant do we get a refund for any themes and gamerpics we bought? I doubt it.

I would also prefer a gamperic to an avatar any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Terminator wrote: »
    The new update will also allow optional HD install of disk games. As an Elite owner this is the best news of the day as far as I'm concerned.

Faster load times, reduced pop-in and more importantly less turbo jet engine noises.

Yes, this is the best part. It will take away two major complaints compared to the PS3 – A) it being noisier, B) multiple discs (not really a problem if you can install them all and just keep the first one in the drive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It takes away two major complains compared to the PS3... by replacing them with another major complaint leveled at the PS3 - installing games to the harddrive!

New dashboard looks good. The blades dashboard was just downright ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

never been a fan of the blades myself would welcome abit of a change.

alot of people are speculating that you will be able to say install halo and then no longer need the disc but I wreckon that just means we will get games that need installs+disc ala various ps3 games.

if thats not the case microsoft must be insane and video rental companys are gona make a fortune.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

"immediately call up your games played list and directly launch a game"

I'm assuming that would be without the disc? If thats true, then it is indeed the most awesome thing ever and I must now go and look for my Xtravision rental vouchers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

bucks73 wrote: »
    If you cant do we get a refund for any themes and gamerpics we bought? I doubt it.

I would also prefer a gamperic to an avatar any day.

Knowing Microsoft, they'll probably charge for these MS Miis™.... with options to spend more points on fancy shirts, hats, jewelery and, of course, fancy pants for said Miis. :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I wonder exactly how they are going to implement the games been booted from the HDD rig marole. How is this going to affect game sales if people can just rent games out and leave them on the HDD? Its not going to be as easy as that.

Only 6 places are getting the Xbox Experience (gameshows etc at launch btw)

They are
    --America
    --Canada
    --Germany
    --United Kingdom
    --France
    --Ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    I wonder exactly how they are going to implement the games been booted from the HDD rig marole. How is this going to affect game sales if people can just rent games out and leave them on the HDD? Its not going to be as easy as that.
    I presume the disc still has to be IN the drive. It'll check the disc is there and then run the game from the HDD.

Maybe?

Advertisement