Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I have to admit, I'm curious about the new interface. It'll take some getting used to, but we'll see if it's a goer.

I kind of like my Gamerpic at the moment, but really am not too pushed if it changes to an Avatar. Particularly if they integrate it well into the Arcade games, it could be worth it.

If the Xbox 'Prime Time' quiz show channel, etc. is included as part of your Live Subscription and the games (like 1 vs. 100) are advertisement funded then it could really be a good laugh. It'd be sucky if you have to pay more for this Prime Time on top of Gold, and you buy 1 vs 100 only to have to wait hours to actually have 100 to play against.

For the HDD install, you'll need to have the disc to launch the game and prove you own it. From Major Nelson
    · Play from hard drive. Copy your games from the game disc and play directly from the hard drive. Not only will the drive not spin, but load times are quicker, as well. Of course, you will still need the disc in the tray to prove you own the game.

Something that's really sneaked out in all the announcements ... More Portal coming to Xbox Live Arcade this year.... Brilliant stuff! :D
    FreeOSCAR wrote:
    Only 6 places are getting the Xbox Experience (gameshows etc at launch btw)

They are
    --America
    --Canada
    --Germany
    --United Kingdom
    --France
    --Ireland

Is that true or wishful thinking ...? Great if it is true.

One of the other new things, the NetFlix thing, would be great if only NetFlix were available over here. d'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

@Fingleberries. No thats the truth, its in a Eurogamer new article. Probably the one about Xbox Experience. Cant linky it for you as im proxied out in work.

Cheers for the heads-up FreeOSCAR ... I was able to narrow my Google search with that - here's the link to the Eurogamer article.

Nice one. I can actually see this being a bit of craic as long as it's not another subscription on top of the Gold subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Oh jesus, this looks horrible. The avatars best be optional.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Oh jesus, this looks horrible. The avatars best be optional.

From Joystiq
    • They're not looking to create a "Home-like" environment for your Avatars – that doesn't mean a third-party wouldn't be able to do that, however
    • You'll be able to keep your gamertag pics if you so choose, though they're encouraging everyone to transition to Avatars
    • Games can reward you with items for your Avatar (chainsaw, please!)
    • There will be no increase in the 100-friend cap on Xbox Live this Fall
    • There will not be any Group (think Facebook) or Clan support in this update – they're hoping the "Party" system will satisfy those requests (spoiler: it won't)

Define Encouraging :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't like the look of these avatar thingys. I guess they are just trying to appeal to the kids though but as most xbox owners are not kids not sure how well it will go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

Can that eurogamer article be trusted in saying that Ireland is included in Xbox Experience (Xbox Live Primetime, specifically)? According to Joystiq it's only North America, Germany, France, and the UK. Same goes for the press release on Microsoft.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/xbox-live-primetime-limited-to-four-regions-at-launch/
    http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/jul08/07-14E3ALLUPPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you want to see this in action, Eurogamer have a clip up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/tv_video.php?playlist_id=12196

I think it looks incredibly slick (yes, even with the avatars), and it a huge step forward from the blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

I have to admit, I'm curious about the new interface. It'll take some getting used to, but we'll see if it's a goer.

I kind of like my Gamerpic at the moment, but really am not too pushed if it changes to an Avatar. Particularly if they integrate it well into the Arcade games, it could be worth it.

If the Xbox 'Prime Time' quiz show channel, etc. is included as part of your Live Subscription and the games (like 1 vs. 100) are advertisement funded then it could really be a good laugh. It'd be sucky if you have to pay more for this Prime Time on top of Gold, and you buy 1 vs 100 only to have to wait hours to actually have 100 to play against.
    Can you explain briefly what this 100 vs 1 thing is and this prime time stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Muchos gracias Dave!

Does like quite sleek.. the avatars are still somewhat nauseating though! :D

• Advertisement

CyberWaste wrote: »
    MS are introducing a Multiplayer 'Prime time' channel with gameshows and some stuff on it, where you can play as your mii Avatar against other people.

If you've seen the 1 vs 100 TV show on BBC1 on Saturdays, there is one person drawn from a group of 100 to answer questions. The 100 other contestants try to answer them also, if they get them wrong they're eliminated from the quiz. The point is for the 1 to eliminate the 100 and win the prizes.

MS are using this as their first 'Prime Time' gameshow when the service launches - promising 'real prizes'. It's not clear yet if this will be part of the Gold membership (I hope so) or if it will be another subscription (I really hope not).

Eurogamer said that this should be available in US, Germany, France, UK and Ireland. A number of other places aren't mentioning Ireland specifically, so we mightn't even have to worry about it.

We'll wait and see, because we got the Video Market place the same time as the UK. Then again, they got 'Inside Xbox' in the UK with the last update and we didn't. So sometimes MS treats it as UK+Ireland, other times it's UK and Ireland seperately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

CyberWaste wrote: »

The 1 v 100 was one of the quiz shows they had on around the UK lottery recently, I guess it's the same as that. You have to keep anwsering questions correctly untill all of the other 100 people are eliminated by answering wrong.

Its pretty cool if they start offering free months membership, free points for buying stuff, free marketplace games etc. for doing well in the quizzes.

Besides, I can't imagine they'd be offering anything tangible (i.e. something they'd have to post out to you) but you'd never know.

I agree - it's probably play for points, or for a free game or something they don't have to physically send to you.

In order for it to work properly, though it would have to be like a TV station and have advertisements during the 'show'. If you have to pay to play the prime time stuff on top of your live sub, I can see it sinking without a trace after an initial take up of curious joes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone else disappointed by the lack of clan support?

I like the deal with Netflix. Hopefully someone here teams up and rolls out a similar service.

I'd put money on Microsoft charging us for Avatar clothes etc. I like the idea of winning things in games though.

Any word on what's happening to achievement points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No word on Gamerscore points so I presume theres no change there.

That vid on the new dashboard looks pretty slick alright though Im not gone on avatars. Looks like you will need one though if you are going to be using the different party options.

Define Encouraging :D

LOL!!! Like do I get free stuff for using them? :pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hate this interface. From a UI point of view it looks awful, noisy, cluttered and scattered. One of the things the "blades" interface did do well was cross connecting and grouping options.

I hate the MS Mii's. I dont really like them on the Wii where at least they fit with the theme of the console. I hate them on the Xbox.

You'll notice that almost nothing in that video talked about "games". Its all about media in the home/frontroom.... which explains the lack of "Clan" support, MS doesnt care about hardcore gamers, they care about the mass-market of video/music/media.

If it kills the ridiculous noise of the DVD player then thats a good thing. Everything else looks awful.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

They have to take home entertainment/video/music seriously otherwise the PS3 will leave it in its wake thanks to the superior hardware. Where it can kick Sonys ass is in the content stakes. MS have said numerous times that they would be concentrating on downloadable material rather than an integrated or add-on Blu Ray player so they have to make sure that the content is of a high quality.

The majority of their briefing yesterday was based on games and they have something for everyone from hardcore gamers to casual gamers to kids/families/music fans and Japanese RPG fans.

They're exact line of thinking is this:

"Wow, look how much money nintendo made with this social gaming shit and Miis.... lets copy it and see if we can do the same!"

• Advertisement

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/239317.html

Fùck me they're really loving this avatar ****!!! :p:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

It's grand except for the avatars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

-annex- wrote: »
    Can that eurogamer article be trusted in saying that Ireland is included in Xbox Experience (Xbox Live Primetime, specifically)? According to Joystiq it's only North America, Germany, France, and the UK. Same goes for the press release on Microsoft.com

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/xbox-live-primetime-limited-to-four-regions-at-launch/
    http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/jul08/07-14E3ALLUPPR.mspx?rss_fdn=Press%20Releases

In gaming Ireland is essentially part of the UK so we will be included because it would be harder to exclude us as their systems are based on offering the same thing to Britain and Ireland and just having different flags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Mr E wrote: »
    They're exact line of thinking is this:

"Wow, look how much money nintendo made with this social gaming shit and Miis.... lets copy it and see if we can do the same!"

Agree totally. It actually looks so much like Miis I wonder if Nintendo are thinking lawsuit. Surely there's copyright issues here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

-annex- wrote: »
    You stated that the old dashboard "won't be there". The engadget article doesn't say that at all. The statement I posted comes from Xbox Live General Manager Marc Whitten, courtesy of Major Nelson.

The old dashboard will NOT be there.Anyone who wants to keep the dashboard in it's current form will not be able to once they connect to live at the time of release.
    That is a fact.
    From Kotaku after Mondays Q&A with Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg and Marc Whitten.

Fans of the current "blades" interface may be saddened to learn that the update isn't an optional redesign, it's a total replacement. They'll still get a taste of the old interface via the new Guide look and feel. Hit the jump for a photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Anyone know the release date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Agree totally. It actually looks so much like Miis I wonder if Nintendo are thinking lawsuit. Surely there's copyright issues here?

Yeah, surely Nintendo patented the idea of a system-wide avatar that can be used as a character in games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I notice the demo interface isn't cluttered with adverts... so it's not entirely representative of the final product. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I still prefer PS3's custom dashboard. Nice and simple, slick and easy to use, not very complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Nailz wrote: »
    I still prefer PS3's custom dashboard. Nice and simple, slick and easy to use, not very complicated.

I dont, I prefer my 360s dash, but hey, each to their own, PSN marketplace is gash aswell!

Advertisement