Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Xbox 360 Dashboard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeah like I'm not one before another or anything like that, like I've both consoles, it's just most things on the PS3 appeal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

1 thing I would've liked to see gone is microcòck points, such a waste. Just use normal currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Most of the stuff from the blades, and the blades interface will still be there in a small form. When you press the guide button instead of the single blade appearing on the left of the screen, a mini version of the blades will appear in the centre of the screen allowing you to make selections and choices.

Not the same as having them as the main interface, but still ok.

I don't mind the new interface that much - it'll be a change to get used to. We'll wait and see if it works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

In fairness Nintendo didn't invent Avatars. I can't say I'm too enamoured with them anyway. It seems like something for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Dunno about the new dashboard. There's no ads which is not like Microsoft at all and I can see a massive grey background with nothing in it, I hope thats not used for huge ads would really annoy me.

As for the avatars everyone seems to dislike them but I don't think they'll be all that bad. I heard some complaints about people's anonymity being lost as they have to create these avatars, that's not true, you can make them look nothing like yourself and retain your anonymity. Me for instance, will be a fat black woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I can just imagine the language coming out of them pimply american teenagers if you can see everyones avatar. Me thinks alot of Racism will ensue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nailz wrote: »
    it's just most things on the PS3 appeal to me.

Baa! bad Nailz! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Me thinks alot of Racism will ensue.

Standard Xbox Live then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

MS have released a few pics showing the new dashboard with current themes to give an idea of how it will look. Looking a lot better than the plain ones we have seen.

xlive1.jpg
    xlive2.jpg
    xlive3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Looks nice but it is a bit all over the place. The Blades in the current dashboard looks to be more user friendly than this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

bucks73 wrote: »
    MS have released a few pics showing the new dashboard with current themes to give an idea of how it will look. Looking a lot better than the plain ones we have seen.

xlive1.jpg
    xlive2.jpg
    xlive3.jpg

Only the first picture is of the dashboard theme. The other 2 show the themed game sections on the marketplace. Like if I were to go onto Fable 2 in the marketplace it will be Fable themed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Cool. Major Nelson didnt make it that clear. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I like it. Haven't seen the vids of it in action [web too slow]

*shrug* Don't care either way about avatars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not a big fan of the new one but it does look better with the themes. The old interface (current one) is imo one of the worst designed things I've ever seen. Horrible use of colour and dreadfully cluttered, I ****ing hate it. This seems like an improvement.

Don't know how anyone can't like the PS3 UI. So damned nice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I bought a 360 to plays games both on and offline.

If i wanted to play with avatars I would play Second Life or with Action Man dolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

faceman wrote: »

If i wanted to play with avatars I would play Second Life or with Action Man dolls.
    Why not do both? Or better... merge your two joys!

Let your Action Man dolls play the 360?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

basquille wrote: »
    Why not do both? Or better... merge your two joys!

Let your Action Man dolls play the 360?!

leave my action man dolls alone!!

They're sensitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

faceman wrote: »

Same thing can be said for a million other things the xbox has or can do. If you don't like, just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

Have we got a release date yet? or is it still TBC?

Same thing can be said for a million other things the xbox has or can do. If you don't like, just ignore it.

I get the impression that its something that will be hard to ignore given its all over the new dashboard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Hopefully I will be able to give my avatar a machine gun...

...otherwise its gonna feel very childish, like those Miis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

DeBeere wrote: »
    Hopefully I will be able to give my avatar a machine gun...

...otherwise its gonna feel very childish, like those Miis!
    I'm holding out on the avatar things, it doesn't really affect me too much - I mean, as long as the Console keeps playing great games then I don't care.

Although I heard on MajorNelson.com that some of the publishers are looking at things they can do with them - for example, Bethesda (the Publishers of Fallout 3) were looking to see if they could have a HazMat suit they could design for the Avatars.

Games developers could include these as different rewards for completing tasks within games. Another thing to try to keep people interested in addition to the Gamerscore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I don't want or need this damn update. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm holding out on the avatar things, it doesn't really affect me too much - I mean, as long as the Console keeps playing great games then I don't care.

Although I heard on MajorNelson.com that some of the publishers are looking at things they can do with them - for example, Bethesda (the Publishers of Fallout 3) were looking to see if they could have a HazMat suit they could design for the Avatars.

Games developers could include these as different rewards for completing tasks within games. Another thing to try to keep people interested in addition to the Gamerscore.

I'm not a fan of the avators but that would actually be an interesting way of approaching it.

I've never paid for a gamerpic or theme and don't plan to in the future as they add nothing to the gaming experience. I don't even download the free ones, carbon ftw! I'm actually amazed that anyone buys these!

But from looking at an E3 video on the marketplace about it I get the impression that MS plan on trying to sell us customisable bits and bobs. I'm sure there will be plenty of fools out there that will part with their MS points for them!

As for the dashboard, I'm sort of liking but hating it at the same time. I suppose I'll need time with to see what I think but it does look very cluttered and from the screenshots publised so far I'm not too impressed. On some screens the select and cancel button are on the right, on others they are on the left. That sort of inconsistency annoys the hell out of me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Elem wrote: »
    Have we got a release date yet? or is it still TBC?

At a guess it will be around the autumn update time, but seeing as we didn't already get another update this year it might be sooner.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm with Kinetic, I dont want or need this update either... only MS needs this update frankly.

If they force these MSii's* on us I hope that at least they can reflect the user a bit more then they seem to. Hazmats and chainsaws would be great but I can't see them doing that....

DeV.

*new word created! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

+1

Well apparently achievements will unlock new clothes. EG- Gears 2 achievement unlocks COG Armour.

You can dress up too like in a rabbit suit. I'm so there

Btw Microsoft have said that the new dashboard is optional. You can keep the current dashboard but it will have reduced functionality. It'll still be the same as it is now but won't be able to support 8 person Live Party or the primetime channel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Well apparently achievements will unlock new clothes. EG- Gears 2 achievement unlocks COG Armour.

You can dress up too like in a rabbit suit. I'm so there

Now that sounds interesting!

Advertisement