Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Xbox 360 Dashboard

1235»

Comments

Ok, time for Druss Rua's two cents worth.

I've my dashboard fairly customised - Oblivion theme pack and gamer picture (as below) and love it. I set up a profile for my wife (for the few times she plays) with a Shrek theme. I really, really like the Blades interface.

Now I'm open to a change of opinion, but the new interface looks sh1te, even when you download themes, they only seem to use half the GUI. All in all, it looks like the interface for the Wii.

Now to the avatars.

First impressions - I HATE the bloody things! Just like the Mii's.
    However, depending on the level of customisation, I might be brought around. For example, if one was able to import over their Oblivion / Mass Effect avatar, it would be worth it.

A poor second would be if you were able to make World of Warcraft style avatars.

(I like the chainsaw idea!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

I hate the whole avatar thing. It seems like a half hearted attempt at being more than Mii's (which really dont do a lot on Wii to be honest). I think they should go the full way and make a Home like environment rather than just using these avatars on a Prime time gameshow that i'll probobly play only a few times. I love the 360 dashboard at the moment although the new one could grow on me.

All the Avatars are all slim. What if I want to be morbidly obese?
    Microsoft must be prejudiced against fat people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Yea avatars just seem like another way to sell sh*t to us, like clothes or hats...

I wish they weren't so childish looking too!
    Only picked up a Wii this week and I already fupping hate them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I don't really understand all the cynicism about the new update. Yes, the avatars may look a bit childish (okay, very childish), but if you don't like them, don't use them - just continue playing your games as usual and not spend your time sharing your holiday pictures or playing one of the new tv show games! We've all come to know and love the blades, but I think Live has grown beyond them and a new interface is just what the doctor ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anyone tried it out yet?

Would be interesting to hear about the hands on experience of it, hard to tell from looking at pictures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i aint on xbox Live. can i still get the new dashboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I'd say it will be on the discs of newly released games. you can download it from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Any word on a release date for this yet? i'm getting sick of the sluggish dashboard we have now, hopefully the new one will iron out kinks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

AFAIK its not till next year, Spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

NO.....its coming out this fall................NOT next year

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ my mistake, i thought it was spring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I hope they change their mind and dump the whole idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

That aint going to happen. Update last week was in preparation for the dashboard update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Well looks like they are getting ready as live will be down on the 29th.....

Xbox Live Service Maintenance 9/29/2008..
    On Monday, 9/29/2008 from 12:01 AM PST for up to 24 hours, Xbox Live will be offline for maintenance. As a result, Xbox LIVE and the ‘My Xbox’ section of Xbox.com will be unavailable, and the Xbox forums will be in read only mode (you won’t be able to post.) The remainder of Xbox.com will be available with limited interruptions.

This service maintenance is in preparation for the new Xbox experience which will be available later this fall.

Let me reiterate: When the service returns, you will not have any new features and you will not have the new Xbox experience update. That will happen later this Fall.

As usual, I’ll make a post and update my Twitter when the service returns.

Major Nelson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bros123 wrote: »
    Well looks like the update is coming next week as live and xbox.com will be offline on the 29th for 24 hours.

That's just to prepare consoles for the update!

This image here seems to hint at it being in November.....

Headspin wrote: »
    That's just to prepare consoles for the update!

This image here seems to hint at it being in November.....

Sorry worded that wrong,yes I know its not the update next week.

Meh rock band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

from TGS & joystiq - Nov 19th new dash available.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/08/new-xbox-experience-coming-nov-19/

I can just see xbox live crashing big time if MS haven't learnt their lesson!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

and TBH they probably haven't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'm never going online after Nov 18th.:D

I cant wait to dress my avatar up in funky clothes and bling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just looked at the vids they have up on ign from TGS. Apart from the avatars I think it's looking very nice, and if the Avatars are implmented well in other games I could be brought around to them too.

So the day has arrived!

I for one notice that streaming movies over my network is a lot faster since the update!!!

Anyone else notice faster streaming??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Guys there is a much newer post in this forum for this topic

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Guys there is a much newer post in this forum for this topic

As the Duffff-Man said, far more recent opinions in the "Tomorrows the big day thread".

Sorry if the thread name is misleading...! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Bros123 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice faster streaming??

Yeah, videos are streaming noticeably quicker.

Overall, I don't mind the new dashboard. But I take the point that now themes are only partially implemented in the background.

The avatars are, well, total ass. The spasticated jump and twirl they do finished it for me.

Downloaded GOW2 onto the hard drive and it was nice playing that without the usual noise.

Overall - meh. I've got typical Irish broadband (supposedly 3meg, closer to 1meg) which means downloading movies is of no interest to me. I concede that it will probably be easier to sort content now, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Well i like it. Especialy cus i had the gears of war 2 theme and seems to be implemented correctly into the new dashboard,when i got to friends listh they are all standing behind those big truck things you ride in gears 2 .... sweet. Wish there was much much more options for the avatars but every gripe i have is replaced by.....it was freeeeeeeeee.

• Advertisement

I dont loaded the new thingie last nite but havent fiddled with it yet. The only thing im looking forward to is copying games to the HD.

That means that hopefully Fallout 3 and GOW2 wont crash on me anymore!!

Advertisement