Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options
  • 14-07-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Looks like the plan to build a road linking the Coonagh roundabout in Limerick to Moyross is going ahead.

http://www.limerick.ie/Transport/TenderforCoonaghKnockalisheenDistributorroad/Thefile,8962,en.pdf

I believe this is going to be part of the 'Limerick Northern Distributor Road' which will eventually run from the Coonagh roundabout out to the Dublin road somewhere. I haven't been able to find much info on this, does any one know what the proposals are? Where would the road pass/come out etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

I think there are maps of the full proposed route on the clare county council website. I think it meets the Dublin road out by finnegans. I did a project on it in college last year so i should have maps somewhere, i'll try and stick them up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Should this not be on the Limerick City forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ebowdia

Should this be in the city forum, not sure. The road will mainly be in Limerick county, and also county Clare, as far as I know.

Thanks for the update rliston, if you have maps too that would be great.

Any idea for when this project is being planned? I assume we are still talking years away?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I was looking for some information in relation to this and the Limerick City Council has some information posted on their website. It does look like this road is getting the go ahead.

NorthLimerickRoad.jpg

PDF Drawing

Limerick City Council information including maps and reports.

I'm not sure why this thread is in the Limerick County section, as the road is in Co Clare and Limerick City.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did the boundary extension happen before or after this thread was started?
    It's hard to remember sometimes!

Feel free to start a new thread in either the Limerick City or the Clare forum if there's ever an official announcement about the proposed road. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone else think this isnt a great idea if there is infrastructure there already built (tunnel/M7)

The tunnel and southern ring road, does just that, it's a southern ring road in Limerick, not serving the north of the city.

My biggest concern is that the northern distributor road isn't a full ring road linking the north east of the city.

The north and northeast of Limerick City is extremely congested and the tunnel doesn't benefit this area directly. Traffic on the Corbally Road and over O'Dwyer Bridge onto Athlunkard Street at peak times, it's very busy. This road should improve access a bit, but not enough.

Ideally the Northern Distributor Road needs to extend east connecting the R464 and the R463 and maybe even allowing access to the north campus of UL and finally linking east of Castletroy/Annacotty.

Limerick is the only city in Ireland that can have a true ring road like London, Paris, etc without extensive tunneling. If Limerick has ambitions to grow as a major city in Ireland, which it should, we need to ensure that the infrastructure is there to support this growth in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

lukejr wrote: »
    The tunnel and southern ring road, does just that, it's a southern ring road in Limerick, not serving the north of the city.

My biggest concern is that the northern distributor road isn't a full ring road linking the north east of the city.

The north and northeast of Limerick City is extremely congested and the tunnel doesn't benefit this area directly. Traffic on the Corbally Road and over O'Dwyer Bridge onto Athlunkard Street at peak times, it's very busy. This road should improve access a bit, but not enough.

Ideally the Northern Distributor Road needs to extend east connecting the R464 and the R463 and maybe even allowing access to the north campus of UL and finally linking east of Castletroy/Annacotty.

Limerick is the only city in Ireland that can have a true ring road like London, Paris, etc without extensive tunneling. If Limerick has ambitions to grow as a major city in Ireland, which it should, we need to ensure that the infrastructure is there to support this growth in the future.
    It will only work as long as it has room to expand extra lanes and no houses or estates entrances be allowed to build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

limklad wrote: »
    It will only work as long as it has room to expand extra lanes and no houses or estates entrances be allowed to build on it.

Let's get a dual carriageway up and running first, we can worry about everything else later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

phog wrote: »
    Let's get a dual carriageway up and running first, we can worry about everything else later.

Wrong approach.

Originally Childers Road was meant to be Limerick's southern ring road; anyone who's tried to navigate the nightmare that is the Retail Park will tell you how bad planning chokes a road, leading to the requirement for a new road.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Wrong approach.

Originally Childers Road was meant to be Limerick's southern ring road; anyone who's tried to navigate the nightmare that is the Retail Park will tell you how bad planning chokes a road, leading to the requirement for a new road.

Most of Childers road runs through a residental area, the majority of the remainder of the road is single carriage way and none of it is dual carriageway, there is only one section of it that has an entrance to a significant retail park that wasn't there prior to the road being opened as a "ring road". The parkway roundabout doesn't help the situation there either.

A quick update on the road and the proposed route beyond Knockalisheen.

The road will be built in two phases, 1st phase to be completed in Q3 2013 and 2nd phase 2014/15.
    Phase 1 – Coonagh to Knockalishen connecting Moyross (Limerick City Council)
    Phase 2 – Knockalisheen to Annacotty, linking to N7 or M7 (Clare County Council)

Document summary of phase 2 of the road:
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/limerick-northern-distributor-road-constraints-study-public-information-notice.html

lukejr wrote: »
    A quick update on the road and the proposed route beyond Knockalisheen.

The road will be built in two phases, 1st phase to be completed in Q3 2013 and 2nd phase 2014/15.
    Phase 1 – Coonagh to Knockalishen connecting Moyross (Limerick City Council)
    Phase 2 – Knockalisheen to Annacotty, linking to N7 or M7 (Clare County Council)

Document summary of phase 2 of the road:
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/limerick-northern-distributor-road-constraints-study-public-information-notice.html

Great news.

This will need to be about a 3 lane motorway to take the traffic volumes, all avoiding the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Osk

Dragging up a very old thread...

Looks like site clearance has started on this project in front of The Country Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

1st phase to be completed in Q3 2013 and 2nd phase 2014/15.. so a little behind schedule then.. Hopefully this is completed sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Tefral

Osk wrote: »

Looks like site clearance has started on this project in front of The Country Club.

Spotted that myself yesterday.

Is that just not non existing housing estate site clearance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »
    Is that just not non existing housing estate site clearance?

Construction of phase 1 is out to tender, with work due to start late the year and take around 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Whatever is going on they have cleared the entire ditch/hedge at that site on the Old Cratloe rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I imagine Phase 1 will take some time. Not the most solid of land to operate on around there.

I hope we get to drive on it in our lifetimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I thought it was killed off when the Limerick councillors voted against it a few months back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

zulutango wrote: »
    I thought it was killed off when the Limerick councillors voted against it a few months back?

I believe that was Phase 2 of the scheme.

I think also that phase 1, apart from being a ringroad component, was also a Limerick City regeneration plan element. It is the key to de-isolating (if that is a word!) the back of the Moyross area.

Even if it goes no further, it makes great sense on its own. It will take pressure off Hassetts X and Ivans X, but will make Watch house X a little busier. They might look at some kind of mini roundabout for there in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

zulutango wrote: »

There was also an issue with flooding in Clonlara a few months back along the proposed route. Think I read they were looking to some further surveys re potential flooding.

Also it's not just Limerick Council involved. The Country Club is only a couple of fields away from the Clare border. From looking at the maps, a good deal of the proposed road is in Co. Clare.

Was this just a false dawn? The site was tidied up and now it looks like all the machinery and workers have left the site?

I have no inside knowledge to offer, but my suspicion is that whilst there is doubt about a full ringroad scheme (Limerick have turned it down, Clare gave go ahead) then not even he phase 1 Coonagh-Knocklisheen is going ahead.

I don't see any Northern Ringroad starting while there is still a shortfall in Southern Ringroad tunnel revenues. Bizarrely the company running it was guaranteed a minimum throughput and revenue, a minimum that was based on boomtime traffic levels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

topper75 wrote: »
    I have no inside knowledge to offer, but my suspicion is that whilst there is doubt about a full ringroad scheme (Limerick have turned it down, Clare gave go ahead) then not even he phase 1 Coonagh-Knocklisheen is going ahead.

I don't see any Northern Ringroad starting while there is still a shortfall in Southern Ringroad tunnel revenues. Bizarrely the company running it was guaranteed a minimum throughput and revenue, a minimum that was based on boomtime traffic levels.

Phase 1 is about opening up Moyross, not giving the city a Northern bypass. It's part of the regeneration plan and is still out to tender for constrction. The tender isn't due to be awarded until Q4.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0ahUKEwiZt-PorvrOAhUBDCwKHUvYAAMQFghFMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcif.ie%2Fimages%2Fpdfs%2FInfrastructure-Projects.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFBrLi6VdhAYrtR-V-vc-INcmc8Wg
    €45m - Coonagh-Knockalisheen Distributor Road
    30th March 2016: It is understood that tenders for the advanced groundworks will be sought in Q3 2016 for the Coonagh-Knockalisheen Distributor Road.
    Tenders for the main contract of this project will be sought in Q4 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

The area which has been cleaned up had contained the leftovers from the building works of the housing estate Shannonvale. It contained bricks, wood and general site wastage and has not been touched for years. It was generally an eyesore so just cleaning that up is good for the area.

Came across this. Great news if you are a badger.

http://www.rod.ie/coonagh-knockalisheen/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

33014460580_3e591e7c14_c.jpg

It’s back on the table again and the Council states to have addressed the issues regarding the risks of flooding.

Adverts in the Leader and Post.

The road will be designed to avoid adverse flood impact.

A Strategic Flood Risk Assessment and a Flood Risk Justification Test have been carried out and were passed.

See Limerick Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mart 23

Hi
    Hopefully these new plans get the go ahead This road is long overdue. I noticed there appears to be no spur road to Moyross Maybe thats a mistake on the map.
    This road should help reduce traffic on the corbally road.

Advertisement