Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what did you think were the ridiculous arguments on both sides?

Read the post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

phog wrote:
    Read the post again.

You're referring to the 100k in the city centre?

You're referring to the 100k in the city centre?

No

But you could try explaining that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

One is the moving the bus stop on the corbally road would help alleviate the traffic issues.

Another is fitting 100k more people in the city centre

• Advertisement

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Talking about An Taisce, their Limerick Twitter account tweeted a very one sided poll recently, the problem is they'll use the results to imply people are against cars in town. :rolleyes:

When I engaged with them on the poll, I got a DM of a vehicle abandoned at a junction - crazy stuff :pac:

kilburn wrote:
    One is the moving the bus stop on the corbally road would help alleviate the traffic issues. Another is fitting 100k more people in the city centre

You might explain why you think moving the bus stop would not help the traffic situation at leak peak times. Many people have identified that as an issue. But you say it's ridiculous ..

Fitting 100k into the city centre depends on how you define the centre of course. There is a huge amount of low density development that can be changed to medium and high density over time.

I live in the area so I am well aware of what the traffic issues are the bus stop is not the issue and moving it will make no difference to the hundreds of people travelling in that road to the city each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

You might explain why you think moving the bus stop would not help the traffic situation at leak peak times. Many people have identified that as an issue. But you say it's ridiculous ..

The bus stop is a hassle as it's on the main road so when it stops cars can't pass it out but there is nowhere else on the road you can move it to that it won't be holding up traffic.

I don't know who owns the land between Scoil Ide and Munchins, think the top part which is a playing field belongs to one the schools but someone else owns the land closer to the road but if the council purchased this they could turn it into a car park for the school so people dropping kids off and picking them up aren't parked on the road and could make a new bus stop in off the road. The fact that hasn't happened already would lead me to believe it was probably enquired about and whoever owns that land said no.

Ah come on are we really saying one bus stopping every 20 minutes if it turns up is one of the contributing factors

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Ah come on are we really saying one bus stopping every 20 minutes if it turns up is one of the contributing factors

No but it's still a pain in the hole having buses stopping on the main road, that's for any bus stop in Limerick like the one on the Corbally Road.

One of the worst things that used to hold up traffic was Mr Binman, every Wednesday morning we'd walk to Munchins faster than the cars heading out the Corbally Road as Mr Binman used to hold up all the traffic at half 8.

Kilburn, is the school traffic an issue over there?

Kilburn, is the school traffic an issue over there?

The school traffic is a massive issue around school times especially in the mornings when you've got others travelling to work.

What were the ridiculous arguments in favour of the Northern Distributor Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

bazz26 wrote: »
    Our 2nd and 3rd largest cities don't look like they will ever be connected by a proper road infrastructure. We are one of the few countries in Europe that don't even have a light rail system connecting any of our cities and their nearby airports? And as for healthcare, we still live in a country where we have a poor efficient and poorly managed health care system that pumps money everyday into a bottomless pit while our leaders scratch their heads at how to plug it and people still need to travel long distances to have a procedure despite a "regional" hospital being on their doorstep? Not building the NDR will change none of that.
    Infrastructure; we will have a new Cork-Limerick road eventually, and Dublin will get a metro sooner or later. I don't see the relevance of this to the argument though.
    Healthcare; sure there are issues with the health system in the country but it still services the majority of Limerick's population. Again, what's the relevance of this?

I never said that not building the NDR would change these, you said that we all just may as well move to Dublin as an argument against building greater density in Limerick city. I made the point that dense cities and towns dotted around the country provide an important service to their large hinterlands and moving everything to Dublin would do nothing to help them.
    phog wrote: »
    Fitting them is one thing, I'd love to see a real explanation on where they'll come from and why?

Ireland is expected to grow by 800,000 people by 2040. They have to live somewhere and some will come to Limerick to live and work and study and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

What were the ridiculous arguments in favour of the Northern Distributor Road?

There are none other than what you're opining on here, so it's ironic you're asking this question

John_Mc wrote: »
    There are none other than what you're opining on here, so it's ironic you're asking this question

I'm asking because Kilburn said that there were ridiculous arguments on both sides.

I'm asking because Kilburn said that there were ridiculous arguments on both sides.

He didn't - read his post again.

phog wrote: »
    He didn't - read his post again.

Some ridiculous comments from both sides of the argument

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

why the rolleyes? :confused:

• Advertisement

Some ridiculous comments from both sides of the argument and I am firmly in the build it camp.

Where are you getting that from?

Post #479

Post #479

Yes, I quoted and highlighted it above for you. :rolleyes:

He never said there there were ridiculous arguments on both sides, what he actually said was there was "Some ridiculous comments from both sides"

There is a difference.

To clarify some ridiculous comments being made by both for and against not referring to points regarding the road as such.

Anyway where are the 100k people going to live in the city centre where are these brownfield sites?

Out of curiosity @zulutango you said you studied these things are you a planner, architect or academic?

Also some of your points are well made but I really think you don't understand the issues as they relate to particular areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

This thread is ridiculous, almost 500 posts of the same handful of people repeating the same arguments at each other over and over again. At what stage will this thread just become the road rant thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Welcome to Boards!

Someday someone will admit they are wrong and the internet will explode

panda100 wrote:
    Someday someone will admit they are wrong and the internet will explode

Who do you think is wrong and why?

What were the ridiculous comments by those in favour of the LNDR?

kilburn wrote:
    Out of curiosity @zulutango you said you studied these things are you a planner, architect or academic?

Starting out on studying transport and spatial planning having done a lot of reading on it over the years. I work as an engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

zulutango I feel like singing that annoying frozen song. It feels like it is time to 'Let it go....'

Advertisement