Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

They dont care about flooding unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Summerrose75

kilburn wrote: »
    They dont care about flooding unfortunately

No,they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

kilburn wrote:
    In your opinion its unsustainable not everyone's this road or another variant of it will be built

No credible person will call it sustainable development. Not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

zulutango wrote: »
    Most of the traffic on the north side could use the tunnel right now, but chooses not to because the easiest way is through town or via the Shannon Bridge. Traffic will always choose the easiest route. If the LNDR is built, and I very much doubt that it will be, traffic would still choose the easiest route. We have to make the tunnel the easiest route and that means reducing road capacity near the centre and using the extra space to facilitate pedestrians and cyclists.
    This pretty much shows that you have no idea of flows and ebbs of the north side traffic.
    I choose not to use the tunnel as it, for the most part has no relevance to where I need to get to .As it stands now I drive through town Corbally / Parteen or Thomondgate to get to where I need ,the tunnel doesn't come into the equation as I still need to drive through these places to get to it

Now Corbally needs another exit rather to take hgv and other traffic off it and to the Tunnel or elsewhere.
    No one should need to drive through Parteen or Thomondgate to have to access the tunnel, They should needed to drive through town or Rhebogue to have to access Castletroy /tipperary road area either.
    I don't see the development all along the n18 road that seems to be the hyperbole statement thrown at what will happen On a LNDR.
    We need better living area and Centre for the city but development isn't all about the city though it needs to be balanced and that includes some form of spread no matter how opposed you are to it, we also need to fix the underdevelopment that has occured over the years in certain area's.Urban shopping areas arent the killer to the city you make out, it was how they where implemented previously is the main issue.

Has a LNDR any impact on pedestrianising O'Connell st, Maybe ,no one really knows what it will take for this to happen it seems !
    Will it help alleviate traffic form certain area's ...yes does it have some draw backs ,yeswhat doesn't.Do the gains outweight any drawbacks ,yes in my opinion.

geotrig wrote:
    I choose not to use the tunnel as it, for the most part has no relevance to where I need to get to .As it stands now I drive through town Corbally / Parteen or Thomondgate to get to where I need ,the tunnel doesn't come into the equation as I still need to drive through these places to get to it

Why do you need to drive through town to get to the tunnel?

• Advertisement

zulutango wrote:

Jesus do we need to draw you a map how can you get from Corbally & SE Clare without doing it

Your geography isn't as good as you think it is. I've gone and done the map for you.

no one needs to do any thing ! I dont need to go to the tunnel as it stands now ,it has no significance on any of my journeys, access to it would take me away from where i am going and be an unneeded journey. Forcing me out to it to get accross the river still would push me to go through Thomondgate , or Parteen which doesnt fix anything and we shouldn't be doing either as it just makes those traffic blackspots.

As i said the road network on that side of the city and "burds" is underdeveloped and needs to be alleviated of hgv's and the general rat runs that go though there .I like many thousands have journeys that bring me in the parteen / town / Thomdgate region when we could better filtered to where we are going.
    The Tunnel as well as other factors has alleviated the grid lock that used to be on the dock road and Raheen road , there is still traffic on these but no where near the extremes that where there before.

Your geography isn't as good as you think it is. I've gone and done the map for you.
    so you didnt read the above and pretty much cherry picked what ever suited a narrative !
    Parteen isnt built for all the traffic and isn't the answer.We should be trying to pull traffic away from there as much as possible

The LNDR will make some people's lives much easier (in the short term), but the cost or the long term damage doesn't come near to justifying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

Your having a laugh Kilburn over and over has stated corbally which you have to go through town to get through and noone from parteen is going to take that route in the morning as its choc full of school traffic.

geotrig wrote: »
    so you didnt read the above and pretty much cherry picked what ever suited a narrative !
    Parteen isnt built for all the traffic and isn't the answer.We should be trying to pull traffic away from there as much as possible

The LNDR is clearly not the answer either.

The answer is to get people out of cars by providing extensive sustainable transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Because its the easy option as you or someone else already posted. Build a new road, people will still use the easy route.

The LNDR is clearly not the answer either.

The answer is to get people out of cars by providing extensive sustainable transport infrastructure.

I like many cannot use public transport as it doesn't suit any of my needs kids work etc or service my area. sustainable transport infastruture doesnt change that for me either ,moving isn't an option .our previous booming economy made sure of that for a lot of people.
    Also I like driving my car at the bloody weekend :P:pac:

Mc Love wrote: »
    Because its the easy option as you or someone else already posted. Build a new road, people will still use the easy route.

which for a lot of people and hgv would be the new road!

Anyway i've stated why I think a LNDR is needed in some form above,nothing to do with easy or public transport but there is only have 1 option now.

which for a lot of people and hgv would be the new road!

I'd like to see it, if people you say want to go from Corbally to Thomondgate!? They're not going to be in the clare direction if they want to go to Thomondgate.

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd like to see it, if people you say want to go from Corbally to Thomondgate!? They're not going to be in the clare direction if they want to go to Thomondgate.

you can use that argument for any journey , zulutango is sending people through clare to go to the cresent !

The conversation isn't about people that want to go from Corbally to Thomondgate its about journeys further afield . i.e shannon / castletroy / raheen

you could say the same about the N18 before it was built with the tunnel,Is that what its called ? but it has a need a purpose.

I like many cannot use public transport as it doesn't suit any of my needs kids work etc or service my area. sustainable transport infastruture doesnt change that for me either ,moving isn't an option .our previous booming economy made sure of that for a lot of people.
    Also I like driving my car at the bloody weekend :P:pac:

I am sympathetic to this position. But I would argue that if the public transport was inexpensive, fast and reliable then you and your kids would be happy to use it. And nobody is stopping you driving. I too enjoy driving! But insofar as possible cars shouldn't be a dominant feature of modern, well organised cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I spent all this week in London, with the best public transport system in Europe and traveled on the underground, surface rail and buses at peak times.

I didn't see one family on any of these modes of transport. Public transport is just not practical with a young family no matter how much anyone wants it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I spent all this week in London, with the best public transport system in Europe and traveled on the underground, surface rail and buses at peak times.

I didn't see one family on any of these modes of transport. Public transport is just not practical with a young family no matter how much anyone wants it to be.

It seems hard to believe that there wouldn't be tens if not hundreds of thousands of families with small children who don't own a car.

• Advertisement

This is where the proposed LNDR will be situated on the lisnagry side of the Shannon,this was the extent of the flooding in 2015

zulutango wrote:

Your just trolling this thread now with rubbish like this

This is where the proposed LNDR will be situated on the lisnagry side of the Shannon,this was the extent of the flooding in 2015

Not great i imagine that portion of the corridor will move.

If the build from Coonagh over to parteen it would be a start while they work on the flooding issues.

The LNDR will make some people's lives much easier (in the short term), but the cost or the long term damage doesn't come near to justifying it.

The bolded shouldn't be in any narrative on this really , because no matter what options are taken will carry a significant cost that is hard to justify for any project.

The flooding and the road issue are 2 different entities , the flooding issue near clonlara /lisnagry areas need to be addressed regardless of this and cost shouldn't be the issue in fixing it.

kilburn wrote: »
    Not great i imagine that portion of the corridor will move.

If the build from Coonagh over to parteen it would be a start while they work on the flooding issues.

According to LCC,this dual carrage way will have no impact whatsoever,and this is the exact corridor that they will use,they've expert advise from 'their hydrologist'!!. Minister Boxer Moran publicly made a statement that there would be no more building on flood plains and I immediately handed him a copy of this photo, that was 13 months ago and progress is still been made to plough on with plans ,so to be honest,where can you go from there??

The bolded shouldn't be in any narrative on this really , because no matter what options are taken will carry a significant cost that is hard to justify for any project.

That's not true. There's the upfront cost and the long term cost. In the case of the LNDR, the former is very high, and the latter is extremely high. In the case of sustainable transport infrastructure the upfront cost is likely much lower than the LNDR (but it hasn't been costed by the Council yet), and there is a net long term economic benefit. For something to be labelled as 'sustainable' it must be economically sustainable, and the LNDR simply isn't. It's financial recklessness.

the LNDR simply isn't. It's financial recklessness.

Cant wait for FF to get into power again and land us all in a recession! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Thanks, can you bring up the Springfield Floodplain in its entirety,; most of it is on the Clare side.

Glenomra wrote: »
    Thanks, can you bring up the Springfield Floodplain in its entirety,; most of it is on the Clare side.

Sorry I can't as that was a drone we'd sent up during the flood.You can look up flood maps.ie, I know it's not the same as a photo but you'll still get to see the extent of the area prone to flooding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

In fairness I don't think anybody is proposing a road that skims the water in the river and continues at grass level through the fields. There would a raised bridge and there would be an embankment created to bring the road out to the Dublin road.

Hard to judge from aerial shot but it seems flooding wasn't more than a meter high in those fields?

Advertisement