Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Why didn't you come across by Ardnacrusha & Meelick?

Our local An Taisce representative zulutango won't be happy until we replace all the roads with dirt tracks, and have skyscrapers in the city

What about suspended roads.....between skyscrapers!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

An Taisce ? be having a heart attack :

Building height restrictions in towns and cities lifted

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/building-height-restrictions-in-towns-and-cities-lifted-37604346.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Those roads just can't cope with the traffic, this is exactly why the LNDR is required and one of the reasons why it was proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

marno21 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to dock the NDR at the Murroe/Cappamore junction and widen the Murroe Road as far as the M7 bridge and put in westbound only facing slips there? Then send westbound traffic via that junction and M7 eastbound/Newport/Castleconnell traffic via Finnegans?

There's enough space there for a westbound slip but you'd need to widen the bridge. Would that mean having to wait at traffic lights for two right hand turns though? Seems like it would still cause traffic build ups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Im not sure you've got the point.

I'll know for next time but funneling all the traffic from one side of the city to another side via unsuitable country roads and through small villages is hardly a sustainable model

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pigtown wrote: »
    There's enough space there for a westbound slip but you'd need to widen the bridge. Would that mean having to wait at traffic lights for two right hand turns though? Seems like it would still cause traffic build ups
    It would be ok if it was wide enough. It would also remove traffic from Finnegans roundabout going to the Annacotty Industrial Estate/Murroe/Cappamore coming from the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

Oh I assumed you meant just an on-ramp. If you wanted an off-ramp too then I imagine traffic lights wouldn't be ideal, you'd need a roundabout to keep the traffic from backing up onto the motorway. You'd probably need to cpo two houses to make room. In which case would you be better off cpo ing whatever houses/land you need along the existing Dublin road?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

mitresize5 wrote: »
    40 minutes to get from Griffins Cross to the Greenhills yesterday at 8:15am and ironically only another 60 from there to Galway.

Build the bloody thing!!

40 minutes from Griffin's Cross to the Greenhills. were you walking the route.? If you were going to Galway why didnt you drive via Oatfield-Sixmilebridge or Broadford-Tulla, saving yourself that 40 minute extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

There's no such place as Griffins Cross, plus Ardnacrusha-Meelick to the Limerick inn would be a lot faster than Oatfield -Sixmilebridge.

Griffins cross as it's known to locals does exist.

• Advertisement

Glenomra wrote: »
    Griffins cross as it's known to locals does exist.

I am a local and it's Maddens Cross, there's even a sign on the wall saying so. It's also known as Connor's Cross.

Connors Cross is on a plaque put up by a family of that name who bought a house at the cross in recent years. That doesn't make it Connors Cross nor is it Madden's Cross. It's Griffin's Cross on clare county maps and local addresses as used for generations and still today including for Clancy's shop. If you were from the area you would have known that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

There's no such place as Griffins Cross, plus Ardnacrusha-Meelick to the Limerick inn would be a lot faster than Oatfield -Sixmilebridge.
    Seeing as we're being pedantic, there's no such place as the Limerick Inn.....

Connors Cross is on a plaque put up by a family of that name who bought a house at the cross in recent years. That doesn't make it Connors Cross nor is it Madden's Cross. It's Griffin's Cross on clare county maps and local addresses as used for generations and still today including for Clancy's shop. If you were from the area you would have known that.

I am from the area, unlike you and O'Connors cottage was situated for years on the eastern side of the cross. Maddens was the first house above the cross on the way to Clonlara.
    People only call it Griffins due to Eamonn Griffin once having the filling station operated by Clancys now.
    In time if there's the inevitable Supermacs or McDonalds there will end up calling it after a fast food conglomerate?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Seeing as we're being pedantic, there's no such place as the Limerick Inn.....

You must be very young if you don't know the Limerick Inn. It's what the Radisson was called until the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Quite the opposite. I even worked there back in the 80's when the Ryan Family were still the owners.
    Just keeping the pedantry even...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

You must be very young if you don't know the Limerick Inn. It's what the Radisson was called until the early 2000s.

That's his point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

looks like everyone has completely missed the point!

I'm from the area and know every high road and by road there - they're still not suitable an a route from one side of the city to the next. They're rat runs.

If you use the main road for cross town traffic on a week day morning its a ridiculous time frame for such a short journey as they road is not built for the volume of traffic using it.

And whether is Griffins (as it has been for the 40 odd years I'm alive), or bock the robbers, or clancys or Maddens it doesnt matter to **** to me, or the thousands of other people trying to get to work in the morning.

Build the shagging road already

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

When is it due to be completed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Mc Love wrote: »
    When is it due to be completed?

Sometime after it starts

• Advertisement

The planners are hoping for 2040, all going smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Study calls for curbing congestion by building fewer roads

https://news.wisc.edu/study-calls-for-curbing-congestion-by-building-fewer-roads/

This is somewhat related but Mods feel free to move it to this thread if not

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/12/09/losing-sleep-over-traffic-noise-on-m7/

Apparently residents in Monaleen and Castletroy are losing sleep over traffic on the M7. I live pretty close to the M20 and it's just background noise at this stage, I hardly notice it anymore.

Although there are some houses literally sitting on the motorway, they're that close

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

geotrig wrote: »
    O_o ?
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Go on. Amuse me :rolleyes:.
    mitresize5 wrote: »
    Go on. Enlighten me

How many more houses will be built around O'Connors/Griffins Cross/South East Clare if they can get quick access to the M18/M7? It may provide a greater level of convenience to some of those living in these areas in the short term but inevitably, all the LNDR will do is open up huge areas for new housing development which will make providing and maintaining services such as schools, roads, water, electricity, broadband, health, etc either extremely expensive or cost prohibitive. It will be impossible to service sprawl like this with public transport so everyone will be dependent on cars to go anywhere and the cycle just goes on and on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Griffins X is not Griffins X? May as well claim black is white.

No Parteen people, of the hundreds I dealt with, ever called the thing anything other than Griffins. The next one in was Larkins X. The next one out was Barrys X.

How do people feel about the insistence on Limerick, when it is really Hlymrekr?! :-)

topper75 wrote: »
    Griffins X is not Griffins X? May as well claim black is white.

No Parteen people, of the hundreds I dealt with, ever called the thing anything other than Griffins. The next one in was Larkins X. The next one out was Barrys X.

How do people feel about the insistence on Limerick, when it is really Hlymrekr?! :-)

Google Maps is saying O'Connors Cross :D

Mc Love wrote: »
      Google Maps is saying O'Connors Cross :D
      Even the planners of the Northern Distributor Road call it Griffin's Cross.

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Even the planners of the Northern Distributor Road call it Griffin's Cross.

I see plenty of mentions of O'Connors Cross there too. Just sayin like...

1. Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm not even sure what this argument is about anymore

2. Advertisement
      3. Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

LeoD wrote: »
        How many more houses will be built around O'Connors/Griffins Cross/South East Clare if they can get quick access to the M18/M7? It may provide a greater level of convenience to some of those living in these areas in the short term but inevitably, all the LNDR will do is open up huge areas for new housing development which will make providing and maintaining services such as schools, roads, water, electricity, broadband, health, etc either extremely expensive or cost prohibitive. It will be impossible to service sprawl like this with public transport so everyone will be dependent on cars to go anywhere and the cycle just goes on and on and on...

You'd swear we didn't have a planning process in place to deal specifically with things like that. Building the road does not automatically mean to build housing around it.

Perhaps the focus should be on the planning process rather than the road if this is the concern

Advertisement