Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

And no houses were built on it despite the scaremongering of some around here about the LNDR.
    Not yet,
    https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/09/01/condell-road-development-not-the-answer-to-housing-crisis/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd like one day to see cycle lanes and less traffic in the city, and tell disbelieving kids how once you could be waiting for half an hour in the mornings to get through Corbally, but since more safe cycling infrastructure was introduced and people took up cycling, that this was never an issue ever again.

People need to think outside the box. Cycling is the future

One of the ways of getting traffic to avoid the city centre is to provide a workable alternative route, the proposed road is that route.

Aside from city and or Corbally traffic, East Clare needs a link to the Dublin, Cork and Ennis Roads, the proposed road will provide that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    One of the ways of getting traffic to avoid the city centre is to provide a workable alternative route, the proposed road is that route.

Aside from city and or Corbally traffic, East Clare needs a link to the Dublin, Cork and Ennis Roads, the proposed road will provide that link.

There is one to the south. I wonder if the LNDR was tolled would the traffic use it or choose to go through the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

topper75 wrote: »
    It celebrates a birthday on Thursday - 31 years. We all have our own standards. But that at 31 I think she has passed the test. Happy birthday old girl. I remember the snarled up Sarsfield bridge and Ennis road and I'll never take you for granted.

I'd like one day to see traffic roll across the north of Limerick and tell disbelieving kids how once you could be waiting for half an hour in the mornings to get through Corbally, how Annacotty used to back up every evening without fail, and how it nearly never happened at all because of a 6% green 'wave' vote :-).

I think it’s important to point out that within 20 years of that road being built traffic was again at a standstill at both bridges and it took a 660 million euro tunnel to solve this problem.

If the road does get built you and the kids will be too busy calling for a new outer northern ring road to reduce congestion on the inner northern ring road

There is one to the south. I wonder if the LNDR was tolled would the traffic use it or choose to go through the city?

The one to south serves it's purpose, the one to the north is required to meet other demands and will in time serve it's purpose.

I think drivers have shown they will use tolled roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

The one to south serves it's purpose, the one to the north is required to meet other demands and will in time serve it's purpose.

I think drivers have shown they will use tolled roads.

Aye they will but if they can avoid it they will do such is evident by the Dock Road in the mornings and to some extent the Condell Rd.

Aye they will but if they can avoid it they will do such is evident by the Dock Road in the mornings and to some extent the Condell Rd.

The tunnel is only of any use if you're not going into the city, it if you're going from Clare to Roxboro or Castletroy exits of the city.

There's zero reason to use the tunnel if you're going to the city centre. Have you asked the people on the Condell & Dock Roads where they are coming from or going to?

Not everyone using the Dock Road and or Condell Road are doing so to avoid a toll.

When you drive to Dublin do you always go through Nenagh, Roscrea, Mounrath, Portlaoise, Naas, etc or do you use the tolled road?

When you drive to Kerry and you're sitting in a tailback through Adare, NCW, Abbeyfeale do you ever think why aren't these town bypassed or that you should be cycling through them.

This is what people want - use bypasses and give the towns back to locals.

The tunnel is only of any use if you're not going into the city, it if you're going from Clare to Roxboro or Castletroy exits of the city.

There's zero reason to use the tunnel if you're going to the city centre. Have you asked the people on the Condell & Dock Roads where they are coming from or going to?

Well obviously! But still people use the city to bypass having to pay to use the tunnel thus increasing the amount of traffic in the city center.
    Not everyone using the Dock Road and or Condell Road are doing so to avoid a toll.

Never said they were did I?
    When you drive to Dublin do you always go through Nenagh, Roscrea, Mounrath, Portlaoise, Naas, etc or do you use the tolled road?

Yes because its the fasted route. Comparing the Limerick tunnel/toll to the M7 is laughable.
    When you drive to Kerry and you're sitting in a tailback through Adare, NCW, Abbeyfeale do you ever think why aren't these town bypassed or that you should be cycling through them.

This is what people want - use bypasses and give the towns back to locals.

Of course smaller towns should bypassed. But at what cost? Will there be a better alternative? Will there be provision for safe cycling infrastructure that would perhaps reduce the amount of traffic? Would then the new road be under capacity at the cost it was built for?

How will this new road impact traffic on the northside, considering that volumes coming in from this road will increase and thus no reduction in the amount of cars using the roads.

• Advertisement

Well obviously! But still people use the city to bypass having to pay to use the tunnel thus increasing the amount of traffic in the city center.

How many? What is your source?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's a very good question. Because there are current 23K vehicles using the tunnel daily, thus avoiding the city.

Never said they were did I?

Tbh, I'm not sure what you're saying as you haven't quantified anything.

1000's - my source is the people of Condell Rd and Dock rd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

So everyone using the Condell and Dock roads are avoiding the toll? You have proof of this do you? And who exactly are the "people of the Condell Rd and Dock Rd."?

What about drivers from other areas that use those roads?

So everyone using the Condell and Dock roads are avoiding the toll? You have proof of this do you? And who exactly are the "people of the Condell Rd and Dock Rd."?

Of course, I have it on file in a filing cabinet
    What about drivers from other areas that use those roads?

What about them?

Of course, I have it on file in a filing cabinet

What about them?

You didn't include them in that file you have in the filing cabinet

You didn't include them in that file you have in the filing cabinet

Sorry - I'll get on it ;)

Sorry - I'll get on it ;)

It will be easy for you as it's more makey up stuff from you

• Advertisement

It will be easy for you as it's more makey up stuff from you

In your opinion of course, they're my views and you obviously have issue with them.

In your opinion of course, they're my views and you obviously have issue with them.

The offer to disprove your previous makey up stuff still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

mdmix wrote: »
    I think it’s important to point out that within 20 years of that road being built traffic was again at a standstill at both bridges and it took a 660 million euro tunnel to solve this problem.

If the road does get built you and the kids will be too busy calling for a new outer northern ring road to reduce congestion on the inner northern ring road

You may well be right about the northern ring road in time (we'll be long dead!). And I accept your precedent. Why though?

a) growth in population over time in the city
    b) people buying cars purely on the inspiration of a new road becoming available and mysteriously developing the ability to drive multiple vehicles in different parts of the city simultaneously

Following some of the anti-road arguments here there would have been no need for a tunnel had everyone simply cycled across the 'new' Shannon Bridge instead. We are led to believe that the city could grow in numbers exponentially, but not in size, simply if everyone was on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I believe there's a great need road linking Clare with UL and crossing the Shannon into Limerick County. My concern is quite simply about the planners' decision to build on a floodplain when they had many alternative choices. I believe that this plan will eventually be rejected at the cost of a great deal of both time and money. Nobody that I have spoken to, engineers, politicians etc gives the proposed road more than a fifty-fifty chance of getting planning, and most far less chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Summerrose75

I think we are all missing the bigger picture here,it is my opinion and many more,that the main reason for the construction of the LNDR,is to basically open up lands along it's route to facilitate more industry especially in the national technogical park and further up towards the Mackey roundabout for housing development.There is no fear that the road will flood that will be protected but it's the surrounding property's and townlands that will suffer the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I think we are all missing the bigger picture here,it is my opinion and many more,that the main reason for the construction of the LNDR,is to basically open up lands along it's route to facilitate more industry especially in the national technogical park and further up towards the Mackey roundabout for housing development.There is no fear that the road will flood that will be protected but it's the surrounding property's and townlands that will suffer the most.

And then they'll start crying about the city when Clare County Council do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Summerrose75

And then they'll start crying about the city when Clare County Council do the exact same thing.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Glenomra wrote: »
    I believe there's a great need road linking Clare with UL and crossing the Shannon into Limerick County. My concern is quite simply about the planners' decision to build on a floodplain when they had many alternative choices. I believe that this plan will eventually be rejected at the cost of a great deal of both time and money. Nobody that I have spoken to, engineers, politicians etc gives the proposed road more than a fifty-fifty chance of getting planning, and most far less chance.

Really - sounds like your concern is that you live in Gillogue or MountShannon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Really - sounds like your concern is that you live in Gillogue or MountShannon Road.
    I don't live in either place, miles away from both in fact. My concern is simply to do with the idea of building a dual carriageway across a flood plain north of Limerick city -parts of which were flooded a few years ago. A flood plain that takes water from both the Shannon and Mulcair rivers and that saw houses on its fringe repeatedly flooded during recent years. I consider it ludicrous in the year 2019 to even contemplate the idea, when the Larkin's Cross-Walsh's pub road could be quickly and cheaply developed to allow people access UL from the Clare side. Its a personal opinion, one that I feel will be mirrored by Bord Pleanala when they decide. if that happens then much time and money will have been needlessly wasted.

• Advertisement

Glenomra wrote: »
    when the Larkin's Cross-Walsh's pub road could be quickly and cheaply developed to allow people access UL from the Clare side. Its a personal opinion, one that I feel will be mirrored by Bord Pleanala when they decide. if that happens then much time and money will have been needlessly wasted.

That proposal sounds good as a spur for UL but it in no way would meet the demands for the proposed LNDR

Advertisement