Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

phog wrote: »
    Yes, obviously people will try avoid a toll. I use Condell Rd to get out the Dock Rd sometimes but if I was getting the tunnel toll free then I might use that option but the building of the LNDR will not change that practice - why would it?
    Okay. I should have explained, that I believe that the solution to Limerick City's traffic problems lies in making the tunnel toll free. In that scenario thousands of extra motorists would avail of the tunnel greatly reducing traffic flow throughout the city region. Expensive I realise, but achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭CraftySue

73hdkgo wrote: »
    Few pictures of the ongoing work at the Gillogue back entrance to UL.

Is that a cycle path/ walkway that's going in? looks too narrow for a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

thats the end of the ridiculous parking at that end so !, hope they enforce and clamp, i think its a good short term solution, still think UL missed a beat in not buying Burlington back in the day, make a great park and ride facility for those from that side of town, I wouldnt agree with any thru road thru the campus as it would turn into rat run

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

they did use burlington as a park and ride for a few months in 2011 and cut it due to low demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Didnt realise that, but I'm guessing a properly designed and fast shuttle service running continuosly it would work, if theres demand for exiting that side, again at a guess I'm guessing a 20min walk from Burlington wasnt greatly appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 73hdkgo

CraftySue wrote: »
    Is that a cycle path/ walkway that's going in? looks too narrow for a car

Only detail I could find on the work.

"UL Pedestrian & Cyclist Access – Following the initial treatment of invasive species affecting the route of the proposed works, tenders have been sought and the successful Contractor will be due to commence works in mid July. The proposed works include elements to be delivered by the University of Limerick and on completion, will enhance pedestrian and cyclist safety to and from the College via the Clare Campus and minimise potential for traffic conflict along the local road network."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

anyone show me on a map where that is happening , I dont know the access point at all down that direction.

geotrig wrote: »
    anyone show me on a map where that is happening , I dont know the access point at all down that direction.
    Apologies, I tried to copy\download relevant maps but failed. so text it has to be. Maybe you can use hte follwoing on a map of the area. Imagine that you are driving to this exit from Limerick city. 1. Drive out the Corbally road. 2. Turn right at Larkins Pub. straight past the old burlington factory and the Lame Duck Pub [closed] over the humpback bridges at the Canal\Blackwater river and 3. almost immediately turn right on to the narrow Garraun Road which leads directly to the Clare exit from UL. This route is currently used by a few people accessing UL especially the sports fields. Soon to be used by UL to exit traffic. This exit will enable people to get home to Corbally\Westbury, Parteen, Clonlara, killaloe, Scarrif and other Clare areas without driving through hte city trafffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Glenomra wrote: »
    Apologies, I tried to copy\download relevant maps but failed. so text it has to be. Maybe you can use hte follwoing on a map of the area. Imagine that you are driving to this exit from Limerick city. 1. Drive out the Corbally road. 2. Turn right at Larkins Pub. straight past the old burlington factory and the Lame Duck Pub [closed] over the humpback bridges at the Canal\Blackwater river and 3. almost immediately turn right on to the narrow Garraun Road which leads directly to the Clare exit from UL. This route is currently used by a few people accessing UL especially the sports fields. Soon to be used by UL to exit traffic. This exit will enable people to get home to Corbally\Westbury, Parteen, Clonlara, killaloe, Scarrif and other Clare areas without driving through hte city trafffic.

Broadford?

Certainly, plus Feakle, Killanena, kilkishen, o c mills, sixmilebridge, kilmurry, quin, Clooney etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

And all of those villages/towns and people living in the suburbs will benefit hugely when the LNDR is built.

Agree. However they will have a long wait. Twelve years at a minimum. Probably will never be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

And all of those villages/towns and people living in the suburbs will benefit hugely when the LNDR is built.

Not every house will benefit, some will be impacted by the potential route of the road by property value, increased noise and views of fields to be replaced by a road and traffic.

Berty wrote: »
    Not every house will benefit, some will be impacted by the potential route of the road by property value, increased noise and views of fields to be replaced by a road and traffic.

They will also have the benefit of the road though, won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They will also have the benefit of the road though, won't they?

Many will see a benefit, some will not. There is no perfect solution. You will never please everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Many will see a benefit, some will not. There is no perfect solution. You will never please everybody.

Exactly :D

You don't need to please everyone, you plan for the greater good. For most proposed developments you will have a NIMBY brigade who will come up with all sorts of reason why the proposal shouldn't go ahead - that in itself should not be the reason why the proposal wouldn't go ahead.

No, you must please everybody, why else would you spend 200 million building a road barely anyone needs?

The LNDR will directly link more vehicles to the toll than the existing road network and will in all probability increase the flow through the tunnel.

who will this link to the toll, what are you basing this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What if the LNDR has a toll? Will people still drive through the city?

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »
    who will this link to the toll, what are you basing this on?

Some people have such a maze of roads to travel to get to the Caherdavin toll that it's currently not worth it, a road like the LNDR will make it easier to access the toll and will increase usage
    Mc Love wrote: »
    What if the LNDR has a toll? Will people still drive through the city?

It's not due to have a toll but if it did some will use it and some won't. Even without a toll some people will continue to drive through the city.

Some people have such a maze of roads to travel to get to the Caherdavin toll that it's currently not worth it, a road like the LNDR will make it easier to access the toll and will increase usage
    In my opinion this statement is totally wrong. If people are currently avoiding the tunnel toll by accessing the 'maze of roads' that already exist, how would the development of a further set of roads, running parallel to the tunnel route, increase the usage. The opposite would undoubtedly occur. That is why the tunnel operators oppose the proposal. Can any poster identify one single community whose members would be more likely to use the tunnel if the LNDR was built. There are many motorists\companies who would save large sums of money through having a alternative to the tunnel. One motorist that I know well who uses the tunnel daily, working in Castletroy commuting from from Ennis, claims that the LNDR would save him approxiamtely 700 euro a year. I accept that very many people and organisations would benefit through completion of the LNDR, and would like to see it constructed but the operators of the Tunnel certainly would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Think you may have read that incorrectly

In my opinion this statement is totally wrong. If people are currently avoiding the tunnel toll by accessing the 'maze of roads' that already exist, how would the development of a further set of roads, running parallel to the tunnel route, increase the usage. The opposite would undoubtedly occur. That is why the tunnel operators oppose the proposal. Can any poster identify one single community whose members would be more likely to use the tunnel if the LNDR was built. There are many motorists\companies who would save large sums of money through having a alternative to the tunnel. One motorist that I know well who uses the tunnel daily, working in Castletroy commuting from from Ennis, claims that the LNDR would save him approxiamtely 700 euro a year. I accept that very many people and organisations would benefit through completion of the LNDR, and would like to see it constructed but the operators of the Tunnel certainly would not.

One motorist that I know commuting form Corbally to Adare on daily basis can't wait for the ring road to open, in his opinion he'll half his journey time.

One motorist that I know commuting form Corbally to Adare on daily basis can't wait for the ring road to open, in his opinion he'll half his journey time.

It undoubtedly would save him significant time. But he won't have to use the tunnel.. onto the LNDR and at the Mackey roundabout he will be on motorways.

It undoubtedly would save him significant time. But he won't have to use the tunnel.. onto the LNDR and at the Mackey roundabout he will be on motorways.

Which will add to his journey time of heading straight to the tunnel but I'm sure some will waste fuel to save toll costs

if the road is built, everything north of the city (caherdavin & other suburbs, all clare traffic) travelling to Castletroy or towards Dublin will not use the tunnel. the same vice versa. thats thousands of vehicles a day that will stop using the tunnel - which the government will have to pay for due to the terms of the tunnel toll agreement.

Unless Shane Ross is replaced by some egit from Limerick or Clare, the road will unlikely to happen

if the road is built, everything north of the city (caherdavin & other suburbs, all clare traffic) travelling to Castletroy or towards Dublin will not use the tunnel. the same vice versa. thats thousands of vehicles a day that will stop using the tunnel - which the government will have to pay for due to the terms of the tunnel toll agreement.

Based on current usage I think you're wrong on this.

what usage/figures are you referring to?

the Coonagh to Knockalisheen Road might direct traffic to the tunnel. The NDR will drive traffic away from the tunnel.

• Advertisement

what usage/figures are you referring to?

the Coonagh to Knockalisheen Road might direct traffic to the tunnel. The NDR will drive traffic away from the tunnel.

I'm not referring to any usage figures but I see with my own eyes the usage from the Caherdavin side when they could use Condell Rd/Dock Rd or vice versa as an option to avoid the toll.

If these drivers use the toll now why would they avoid it and use a longer more circular route in the future?
    Coonagh to Knockalisheen Road might direct traffic to the tunnel

That is part of the LNDR ;)

Advertisement