Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I'm not referring to any usage figures but I see with my own eyes the usage from the Caherdavin side when they could use Condell Rd/Dock Rd or vice versa as an option to avoid the toll.

Maybe you should ask mdmix to go to the roundabout and see for himself :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    Maybe you should ask mdmix to go to the roundabout and see for himself :rolleyes::D

I wonder would he chicken out like you :p

I wonder would he chicken out like you :p

Havent chickened out but would rather get into work early and finish early instead of standing by a roundabout to prove a point...

Havent chickened out but would rather get into work early and finish early instead of standing by a roundabout to prove a point...

You'd be disproving your point ;)

You'd be disproving your point ;)

But sure I value my time more wisely

• Advertisement

But sure I value my time more wisely

Shure any auld excuse will do to prevent you being proved wrong :pac:

Maybe if you cut down on the time you spend on here and we could squeeze in half an hour some morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

phog wrote:
    Maybe if you cut down on the time you spend on here and we could squeeze in half an hour some morning

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I'm not referring to any usage figures but I see with my own eyes the usage from the Caherdavin side when they could use Condell Rd/Dock Rd or vice versa as an option to avoid the toll.

If these drivers use the toll now why would they avoid it and use a longer more circular route in the future?

That is part of the LNDR ;)

we were talking about traffic from north of the city (including Clare) to Castletroy/Dublin. you said that the NDR would increase the number of people using the tunnel, can you explain how?

I dont think anyone ever considered the coldell rd/dock road as a route to castletroy/dublin. there are other more direct routes, including the tunnel

kilburn wrote: »
    Touche

Get a room you two

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Keep it on topic guys. Take it to pm if you want to arrange a date.

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »
    we were talking about traffic from north of the city (including Clare) to Castletroy/Dublin. you said that the NDR would increase the number of people using the tunnel, can you explain how?

I dont think anyone ever considered the coldell rd/dock road as a route to castletroy/dublin. there are other more direct routes, including the tunnel

I'm not sure that's correct, I was talking about vehicles using the tunnel.

Do you honestly believe or want us to believe vehicles using the tunnel never head towards Dublin or what are you now trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

the tunnel is a complete red herring used by the NIMBY's to deflect from their real agenda.

The traffic was backed up to Corbally Uniteds pitch this morning at 8.20 and there are hundreds of people using O'Briens Bridge/Montepellier as a rat run at the same time. Seems pretty obvious the tunnel isn't a solution for these people.

thats why the road should and will be built

mitresize5 wrote: »
    the tunnel is a complete red herring used by the NIMBY's to deflect from their real agenda.

The traffic was backed up to Corbally Uniteds pitch this morning at 8.20 and there are hundreds of people using O'Briens Bridge/Montepellier as a rat run at the same time. Seems pretty obvious the tunnel isn't a solution for these people.

What was it like when the schools were off? Why arent we proving an adequate bus service and safe cycle network which would cost much less than the LNDR? Because Car is King!

Most of those in traffic were probably bringing their kids to school. They should all be cycling or walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

What was it like when the schools were off? Why arent we proving an adequate bus service and safe cycle network which would cost much less than the LNDR? Because Car is King!

Most of those in traffic were probably bringing their kids to school. They should all be cycling or walking.

build betters roads and more can cycle and walk and take a large chuck of other traffic that has no choice but to go those routes away from corbally, parteen and the likes !

You know some people have flexible starts ,so "during the summer" they could be on the road a different times so to speak !! And now that schools are back doing their run at that point, yes some are on a school run only ,but its a weak argument.

Using the tunnel and the tunnels finances as a reason not to implement adequate road networks in an area is a really flawed thought process if you ask me !:confused: I know linking up could affect the taking but its not a reason to not build some network in areas that need it.

geotrig wrote: »
    build betters roads and more can cycle and walk and take a large chuck of other traffic that has no choice but to go those routes away from corbally, parteen and the likes !

You know some people have flexible starts ,so "during the summer" they could be on the road a different times so to speak !! And now that schools are back doing their run at that point, yes some are on a school run only ,but its a weak argument.

Build better roads? How will that affect or lessen the use of cars unless safe cycling infrastructure is included and bus lanes.

Hardly a weak argument, most journeys by car can be taken by bicycle or by walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Build better roads? How will that affect or lessen the use of cars unless safe cycling infrastructure is included and bus lanes.

Hardly a weak argument, most journeys by car can be taken by bicycle or by walking.

Im not trying to lessen car travel... but if you want people to send their precious young wans !! out on their bikes they will need better roads to cycle on and a better network for buses to use ,i dont like sharing a lane on a bike with a bus , if there is less cars on these roads because A, some decided to cycle and B, the other traffic has been diverted to other roads all the better !

Again you think "most" journeys by car can be taken by bike ...in my case I could think of 2 journeys in the week I could possibly only use my bike instead which is a very small percentage of my travel and nowhere remotely near most. I'm sure there are many people like me and I'm sure as you are trying to point out many that don't need to drive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Grand so - I'll leave my 6 and 9 year old in the house on their own tomorrow morning while I head off to work at 7.45 to avoid the traffic. They should be fine getting themselves organised and cycle to school for 9.

Kids these days are waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

afaik the LNDR is broken into several sections and phases. i know works have commenced on Coonagh to Old Cratloe road. But what stages of this road are likely to be ever completed? The initial plans were for Coonagh to Knockalisheen road so i assume this will get funding and permission, as its part of the Moyross regeneration. However, the Knockalisheen to Lisnagry is a bit pie in the sky to me, or am i wrong? Will they just continue with Coonagh to Old Cratloe road, then Old Cratloe rd to Knockalisheen rd? i dont think there is much objections to this, or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

mitresize5 wrote: »

People are stuck in traffic on the Corbally road during school times are experiencing lengthy delays, particularly in the mornings. Naturally, many of these people are annoyed and would like a solution, including the building of the LNDR Phase 2. The fact is that between them, the three schools on the Corbally Road, Ardscol Mhuire, Scoil Ide and St. Munchin's have a total enrollment of almost 1,800 children. Consequently, there is a huge increase in vehicular traffic while these schools are open, especially on wet days. One can see parents from even the closest estates to the schools driving their children to the schools. A drive from Griffin's Cross to the city centre that took 10 minutes in July is taking up to 40 minutes in September. The schools are open. Even if the LNDR phase 2 was completed wihtin the shortest possible time frame of twelve years, these schools would still be in operation adding to morning and evening traffic on the route. A person from East Clare wishing to travelling to the city centre and avoid the Corbally Road with the school hold ups, could then drive miles out to Lisnagry\Mackey Roundabout, and come in to the city via the Castletroy road. Some Progress!!!!!!!
    Re the statement 'the tunnel is a complete red herring'. Unfortunately it is not. When it was built the mistake made was it was tolled. Contacts signed and commitments made for decades into the future, commitments that are costing the State millions of euro in a subsidy each year From the Irish Examiner of August 2018, re the Limerick Tunnel, 'earlier this year, the Dáil Public Accounts Committee was told the State has paid the toll operator €34m under the terms of a public-private partnership contract to compensate it for a lower than anticipated volumes of traffic using the tunnel'. also, 'a Transport Infrastructure Ireland official told the committee “conservative estimates” projected further traffic payments of about €150m over the remainder of the contract.' Naturally, the operators of the tunnel are concerned at the development of any limerick road that would affect their financial position. Stating 'thats why the road should and will be built' doesn't make it any more likely that it will be built. It is time to explore realistic alternatives imo.

Progress of joining another queue of traffic from the Motorway at the Mackey roundabout. Hardly progress Glenomra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 73hdkgo

73hdkgo wrote: »
    Few pictures of the ongoing work at the Gillogue back entrance to UL.

Some more recent photos of the work going on at the Gillogue back entrance.

Thanks. Any idea when the new system is starting. It will be interesting to see how effective it is.

Glenomra wrote: »
    Thanks. Any idea when the new system is starting. It will be interesting to see how effective it is.

I signed up for access. It's starting Monday 09th September 2019 only between 16h30 and 18h30. One way system just for exiting.

They are limiting it to people who live in a certain catchment area, and a card swipe will be in place to access.

It won't be used as a full exit for anyone to use, just a specific set of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

MarkR wrote: »
    Glenomra wrote: »

I signed up for access. It's starting Monday 09th September 2019 only between 16h30 and 18h30. One way system just for exiting.

They are limiting it to people who live in a certain catchment area, and a card swipe will be in place to access.

It won't be used as a full exit for anyone to use, just a specific set of people.
    I was not aware of this and am very glad to hear it. Are there any works taking place further up nearer the bridge?

chicorytip wrote: »
    I was not aware of this and am very glad to hear it. Are there any works taking place further up nearer the bridge?

The bridges were checked and found to be structurally sound. Some work planned but not yet implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'd like to see you cycling from O'Briensbridge to Limerick on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

MarkR wrote:

BIK so for certain employees hopefully UL notify revenue of same so we don't have any more payroll & accounting issues

I'd like to see you cycling from O'Briensbridge to Limerick on a daily basis

Why there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Why there?

Because it was mentioned in the post you quoted

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    BIK so for certain employees hopefully UL notify revenue of same so we don't have any more payroll & accounting issues

I really don't think that would be applicable. Have there been other instances of an additional exit to a property being classed as a taxable benefit?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/what-is-benefit-in-kind/index.aspx

I reviewed the link above, and can't see anything that would lead me to believe this could be classed as BIK. Under what criteria would you think it was?

Advertisement