Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

MarkR wrote:
    I really don't think that would be applicable. Have there been other instances of an additional exit to a property being classed as a taxable benefit?

A select few people are being granted access which significantly shortens their journey time and costs to and from work resulting in a saving in petrol/diesel and wear/tear on their vehicle.

That is a monetary gain for the employee and is classed as BIK.

Anywhere an employee saves money based on something given by an employer which is only as a result of employment in the organisation is classed as BIK.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unless you have an example of something similar, i'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

MarkR wrote:
    Unless you have an example of something similar, i'm going to have to disagree with you on that.

Fair enough we can agree to disagree on it hopefully in the long term clare county council make the road wider for all to use a new bridge would be a small cost

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Glenomra wrote: »
    The bridges were checked and found to be structurally sound. Some work planned but not yet implemented.

I always thought they should put a large carpark over in Gillogue , people could walk/cycle/scoot over to the campus.

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    I always thought they should put a large carpark over in Gillogue , people could walk/cycle/scoot over to the campus.

I've been thinking similar, but they'd probably not promote the use of scooters as a health issue!

Be great fun motoring around the campus. I've seen one or two around, I'd have doubts on the legality of using them on the roads in UL, as they are accessible to cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Because it was mentioned in the post you quoted

But it's irrelevant because thats understandable - its over 54 minutes to cycle, but on school runs that might actually be quicker :D

Its the people in the likes of Westbury, Shannon Banks, Corbally that should be commuting by bike/bus/walking as they're living well within distance of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

kilburn wrote: »
    A select few people are being granted access which significantly shortens their journey time and costs to and from work resulting in a saving in petrol/diesel and wear/tear on their vehicle.

That is a monetary gain for the employee and is classed as BIK.

Anywhere an employee saves money based on something given by an employer which is only as a result of employment in the organisation is classed as BIK.
    This is interesting. Should the same be applied for Car Parking itself if the employer is paying for it? Would not apply probably in UL context here as they own the land, but certainly would in a rental situation for office parks/factorys in suburban locations.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/benefit-in-kind-for-employers/other-benefits/use-of-facilities-sports-recreational-childcare-and-carparks/car-parking.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Well the traffic coming through o Briens Bridge is still super heavy. I thought when we had the traffic lights installed on the bridge it would deter some people. Seems to be heavier and its insane the amount of people who break the red lights on the Montpelier side..

Using the new Clare exit from UL, I'm leaving work at 5:15, getting home about 5:55. Delays at hassets cross and ivans as usual. And the people walking along the exit road. And cyclists. What can you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

MarkR wrote: »
    Using the new Clare exit from UL, I'm leaving work at 5:15, getting home about 5:55. Delays at hassets cross and ivans as usual. And the people walking along the exit road. And cyclists. What can you do...
    As a matter of interest how much time is this route saving you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Haven't kept up to date with this thread, so sorry for my ignorance, but where does this road end up at out of interest? It begins at the north campus by the hurling fields, is that right?

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Haven't kept up to date with this thread, so sorry for my ignorance, but where does this road end up at out of interest? It begins at the north campus by the hurling fields, is that right?

Joins a public road at university exit and ends up wherever you are going to.

Only modest usage of the alternative route. In fact I don't understand what is happening, why UL aren't sending more cars this way. Supervised by 2 gardai on the bridge and monitored by UL security personnel. Doesn't add up. Is it another short term experiment or what!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Summerrose75

Only modest usage of the alternative route. In fact I don't understand what is happening, why UL aren't sending more cars this way. Supervised by 2 gardai on the bridge and monitored by UL security personnel. Doesn't add up. Is it another short term experiment or what!!!!!!

Maybe they realize that there is no funding to proceed with the LNDR.I think there is plans to put a more permanent arrangement with the traffic coming from the north side

And cyclists? You might find that cycling is probably quicker of getting through traffic rather than being traffic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'll be over there over the weekend for a stroll looking forward to seeing what they did,

As others have asked, how much time is it saving you? thats a 40min journey

Mc Love wrote: »
    And cyclists? You might find that cycling is probably quicker of getting through traffic rather than being traffic :rolleyes:

Cycling on towards Shannon might be a bit of a stretch. :D

In regard to time saved, I'm getting home at 5:55, which is about as fast as I was getting home taking the tunnel when where were no schools open, so with no traffic at all.

This time of year, I reckon I'm saving 15 to 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What's this magicial Clare exit from UL? I assume this wouldn't be any use to me.

BTW MarkR, we must do coffee 1 of the days

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Any magical exits or runs for getting out of Plassey and heading to West Clare. Traffic since the schools went back is crazy, means it can take 20-30 mins just to get to the Annacotty round about. With 3 or 4 buildings set to be staffed in the coming months, its going to be a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

I've been thinking similar, but they'd probably not promote the use of scooters as a health issue!

Be great fun motoring around the campus. I've seen one or two around, I'd have doubts on the legality of using them on the roads in UL, as they are accessible to cars.

Normal push scooters is what I was thinking. They are fast enough

• Advertisement

Cycling on towards Shannon might be a bit of a stretch. :D

In regard to time saved, I'm getting home at 5:55, which is about as fast as I was getting home taking the tunnel when where were no schools open, so with no traffic at all.

This time of year, I reckon I'm saving 15 to 20 minutes.

I was taking the example of getting from the Clare exit to Ivan's :) But yeah Shannon is a bit of a stretch :)

If you were within 5-7km of the city - biking it is definitely a lot faster.

oppiuy wrote: »
    Any magical exits or runs for getting out of Plassey and heading to West Clare. Traffic since the schools went back is crazy, means it can take 20-30 mins just to get to the Annacotty round about. With 3 or 4 buildings set to be staffed in the coming months, its going to be a nightmare
    Using the Clare exit from UL and you can be on the Ennis Road within 20 minutes approximately going through Parteen or be on the Shannon airport exit on the Ennis-Limerick road within 30 minutes,entails you going through Sixmilebridge. I am like a broken record I know, but people should be demanding the councils build a bridge linking Burlington with UL Clare Campus and hugely significant traffic improvements can be implemented. That is an achievable project, within two years, which would make a huge difference. This route could take over 1,500 vehicle movements a day, comparable to what it carried when Klopman industries were in operation. Or, wait for completion of the LNDR across a Special Area of Conservation in the year ............... ..........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Using the Clare exit from UL and you can be on the Ennis Road within 20 minutes approximately going through Parteen or be on the Shannon airport exit on the Ennis-Limerick road within 30 minutes,entails you going through Sixmilebridge. I am like a broken record I know, but people should be demanding the councils build a bridge linking Burlington with UL Clare Campus and hugely significant traffic improvements can be implemented. That is an achievable project, within two years, which would make a huge difference. This route could take over 1,500 vehicle movements a day, comparable to what it carried when Klopman industries were in operation. Or, wait for completion of the LNDR across a Special Area of Conservation in the year ............... ..........................................

Ya i have always thought that Limerick needs another bridge, not another road. The problem in Limerick is its built along a river. And as the city has expanded and grown over the years, no new bridges were built. UL/Castletroy/Monaleen/Annacotty are largely new townlands that have grown significantly in the last 40years. Add to that, Castleconnell which is also growing in population. All fine but when you have a National Technology Park and University in this area that are also growing, you come a cropper as they draw people not living in an area that is densely populated but inaccessible from 50% of its geographical area. As far as i know, there is no bridge east of Corbally, between Athlunkard and O Briensbridge. I dont think we need a road. We need a bridge. the probelm is all the other bridges were from Limerick - Limerick where as a bridge along here would be Limerick - Clare.

The new bridge would benefit those from Parteen / Adrnacrusha etc who are most disadvantaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

well any road that wants to link to that ul /castletroy/ annacoty would need a bridge to get over the river sot it was always in the plans to :confused: unless we build another tunnel at that side !

as markr has pointed out it has only moved his traffic problem ,and its just filtering traffic through a small village i.e parteen and onto another inadequate bridge for high volume traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

geotrig wrote: »
    well any road that wants to link to that ul /castletroy/ annacoty would need a bridge to get over the river sot it was always in the plans to :confused: unless we build another tunnel at that side !

as markr has pointed out it has only moved his traffic problem ,and its just filtering traffic through a small village i.e parteen and onto another inadequate bridge for high volume traffic.

if you are coming from the Shannon side you should be using the tunnel imo

Shannon is 30k from UL, its not as if one should expect to get home in 30mins from this side of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭oppiuy

damowill wrote: »
    if you are coming from the Shannon side you should be using the tunnel imo

Shannon is 30k from UL, its not as if one should expect to get home in 30mins from this side of the city

Hi, im currently using the tunnel both ways ( in the summer i came the old dublin road) but the problem is getting out of Plassey, its just taking longer and longer as more Business open here. Generally alright getting in as i leave earlier but i do notice the intervals getting busier in the morning.

Its like a pressure value in there at the moment and there needs to be some sort of value to be opened to allow traffic out another route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

UL is the greatest bottleneck of all time from absolutely every angle. Coming in the Ballysimon Road sliproad is now an extra 10/15 minutes to my journey (purely sitting on the sliproad) now that colleges are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

oppiuy wrote: »
    The geography of the area mitigates against the kind of major traffic volumes that your plan would envisage. The road between Burlington and Larkins Cross is a narrow country road which, already, is carrying more traffic than it ought to be on weekdays. It is also regularly used by cyclists and pedestrians. More traffic would simply spoil the local environment. Klopman Industries operated in a time when there was no residential development in the area, only a few farms.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    UL is the greatest bottleneck of all time from absolutely every angle. Coming in the Ballysimon Road sliproad is now an extra 10/15 minutes to my journey (purely sitting on the sliproad) now that colleges are back.

There will be some major smash at that slip road yet.
    Full stop in driving lane as the traffic backs up, overtaking Lane down to 40kph as people try to jink in and skip the queue and the unsuspecting drivers in driving lane trying to get out into the driving lane.

Advertisement