Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

damowill wrote: »
    if you are coming from the Shannon side you should be using the tunnel imo

Shannon is 30k from UL, its not as if one should expect to get home in 30mins from this side of the city
    What if you are coming from O'Brien bridge clonlara, arnacrusha corbally and the likes to get to Shannon or even the crescent, raheen etc ? Pushing all that traffic as well as more through, residential areas as well as any of the extra traffic coming out the back entrance of Ul should not be the answer.. A ring road with various access Points exit points is necessary for these area ... Whether it connects to the mackey roundabout I don't care but it would seem finish not to consider it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mc Love wrote: »
    No. That's what happens you put roundabouts on motorways. Having 2 lanes of freeflowing traffic for miles coming to a dead stop at a roundabout causes congestion. It's no different to the M20 ending 3km north of the Lantern Lodge roundabout near Adare and the subsequent delays through the village. Reducing throughput of a road causes bottlenecks.

Poor roadbuilding practices in Northern Ireland (which are commonplace for various reasons) is not really a valid argument for discouraging road building in other parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Mc Love wrote: »

So you're proposing that people cycle between Derry and Belfast then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So you're proposing that people cycle between Derry and Belfast then? :rolleyes:

Never said that PF :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Big Ed has spoke from beyond the ... eh... retirement... to back the drive across the water into Clare.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/477609/clare-project-could-be-dynamo-for-limerick-says-former-ul-president.html

There is no way such a campus extension or new urban area creation can work with a big cross-river link. Walsh reckons EU will back it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

PIN for tender for main works contract for Coonagh-Knocklisheen has been published

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=154771&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

€35m estimated cost.

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1180087708909281282

Nice render of the proposed road here.

The unused exit off the roundabout connecting into Moyross looks prime for some suburban development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is that an old image they've used as a base? Looks to be the old Thomond Park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

marno21 wrote: »
    The unused exit off the roundabout connecting into Moyross looks prime for some suburban development.

The key reason for the road if they are honest - to open up housing banks right up to the Clare border.
    I reckon something in the region of 600 to 800 will be going in there over the next decade or two. Maybe more.

The relief on traffic is a mere happy byproduct for northside motorists but it is not the fundamental reason for the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

MarkR wrote: »
    I signed up for access. It's starting Monday 09th September 2019 only between 16h30 and 18h30. One way system just for exiting.

They are limiting it to people who live in a certain catchment area, and a card swipe will be in place to access.

It won't be used as a full exit for anyone to use, just a specific set of people.

how do you sign up for this ? I can't find info on it at all and the bottleneck trying to get out of the college is becoming soul destroying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

how do you sign up for this ? I can't find info on it at all and the bottleneck trying to get out of the college is becoming soul destroying

This route now closed. Will not reopen unless/until Clare county council give planning permission for same. Once UL apply for planning then the process begins!!!!!

Considering that the Greens will inevitably be part of the next government regardless of whether FF or FG are the largest party, the prospect of this road ever being built across a floodplain is remote. The Greens are totally opposed to building on floodplains. From today's manifesto, 'Prevent poorly regulated urbanisation which has led to construction on floodplains' and an aspiration 'restoring floodplains'. Imo planners should rethink before they needlessly waste more time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Greens

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I honestly can't see the road going ahead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Phase one from Coonagh to Knockalisheen will. It's out to tender and the contract is due to be awarded sometime around March.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Summerrose75

For those of you that are crying out for phase 2 of LNDR, the proposed route is about 30% submerged in flood waters,once again.1 in a 100 year event but,this is the 3rd time in 10 years. With flood not expected to reach its peak until Tuesday,there will be devastating consequences for home owners and land owners along it's route

A number of residents living close to this floodplain on the Clonlara side of the river sent to a hotel for their safety. Could someone tell the planners of this grotesque idea please. Maybe they could leave their ivory tower for a short while and look at reality!!!!!!!!!

Glenomra wrote: »
    A number of residents living close to this floodplain on the Clonlara side of the river sent to a hotel for their safety. Could someone tell the planners of this grotesque idea please. Maybe they could leave their ivory tower for a short while and look at reality!!!!!!!!!

That's just a disgrace,10 years on and still no provision put in place. Boxer Moran coming down making empty promises. It definitely is time for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

The same residents who lobbied local politicians hard to ensure they got their planning on the floodplain of the Shannon.
    The same residents most of whom grew up in the area would have been aware that Springfield always flooded.
    I can remember 30 years ago standing on Clonlara bridge looking down on the flooding in Springfield.
    The river is reclaiming it’s old course.
    People don’t want to know about flooding, all they’re interested is getting a house at all costs.
    I was at a meeting of Cork County Council where councillors wanted identified flood risk removed from maps.

The same residents who lobbied local politicians hard to ensure they got their planning on the floodplain of the Shannon.
    The same residents most of whom grew up in the area would have been aware that Springfield always flooded.
    I can remember 30 years ago standing on Clonlara bridge looking down on the flooding in Springfield.
    The river is reclaiming it’s old course.
    People don’t want to know about flooding, all they’re interested is getting a house at all costs.
    I was at a meeting of Cork County Council where councillors wanted identified flood risk removed from maps.
    Flooding has gotten worse in the last 10 years,now is it because of climate change, mismanagement of the levels on the Shannon,the lack of maintenance in our rivers?? Maybe all of the above, maybe other factors,it could be argued all night.i built a house on family land 25 years ago,a kilometer away from the river Shannon on the limerick side,no issues,until 2010. My house is now officially on a flood plain and inturn means no insurance so it's obvious thats due to some change. I will also be watching how close the water will come to my house,so it's obvious something has changed and I don't entirely believe it's all down to climate change either. Oh by the way the LNDR, will run within 20 meters of my house,so just visualize that. I have nothing but sympathy for those people in clonlara,it's not just a house,it's their homes

• Advertisement

Flooding has gotten worse in the last 10 years,now is it because of climate change, mismanagement of the levels on the Shannon,the lack of maintenance in our rivers?? Maybe all of the above, maybe other factors,it could be argued all night.i built a house on family land 25 years ago,a kilometer away from the river Shannon on the limerick side,no issues,until 2010. My house is now officially on a flood plain and inturn means no insurance so it's obvious thats due to some change. I will also be watching how close the water will come to my house,so it's obvious something has changed and I don't entirely believe it's all down to climate change either. Oh by the way the LNDR, will run within 20 meters of my house,so just visualize that. I have nothing but sympathy for those people in clonlara,it's not just a house,it's their homes

I have every sympathy for them and I know a lot of them.
    I have extensive ties to the area so know a lot about the flooding. Springfield has always flooded as it is the course of the Old Shannon.
    I also know that river maintenance is not the solution, dredging and the like will exacerbate the situation.

I have every sympathy for them and I know a lot of them.
    I have extensive ties to the area so know a lot about the flooding. Springfield has always flooded as it is the course of the Old Shannon.
    I also know that river maintenance is not the solution, dredging and the like will exacerbate the situation.

Pretty much. The river is the river, it's been here longer than the houses and will outlast them.

Massive sympathy for people living there but the State should offer to buy their homes and re-instate the flood plains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Glenomra wrote:

Out of curiosity how have you personally been impacted by flooding to be so anti this road

In answer to the above query My problem with the proposed route of the road is the concept of building it across this specific floodplain. Quite simply I think it's an insane proposal that will inevitably lead to refusal of planning. I think planners should explore achievable solutions not ones that will result in millions of euro and many years wasted. The regular flooding here is a regular reminder of how stupid an idea it is. Who honestly believes that with all the brouhaha about climate change and the inevitability of the Greens being in government that this project will be completed.

In answer to the above query My problem with the proposed route of the road is the concept of building it across this specific floodplain. Quite simply I think it's an insane proposal that will inevitably lead to refusal of planning. I think planners should explore achievable solutions not ones that will result in millions of euro and many years wasted. The regular flooding here is a regular reminder of how stupid an idea it is. Who honestly believes that with all the brouhaha about climate change and the inevitability of the Greens being in government that this project will be completed.

The route is the responsibility of engineers. I think you need to educate yourself on what planners do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Roads can be built on floodplains (and regularly are worldwide) in a way that doesn't affect the flooding or the road. The engineering is nothing new. I don't know how many times you need to be told this.

Houses on the other hand should never have been built on flood plains. However that ship has sailed and unfortunately the people who own those homes have no choice now but to live with it.

The route is the responsibility of engineers. I think you need to educate yourself on what planners do.
    Thanks for that nugget of wisdom. I am sure you are aware that virtually all the planners of this absurdity are engineers.

Roads can be built on floodplains (and regularly are worldwide) in a way that doesn't affect the flooding or the road. The engineering is nothing new. I don't know how many times you need to be told this.

Houses on the other hand should never have been built on flood plains. However that ship has sailed and unfortunately the people who own those homes have no choice now but to live with it.
    Everyone knows that engineers could build the road and mitigate the flooding concerns though at enormous financial cost. I never questioned that idea. What I am asking is whether this river crossing will ever receive planning permission. I don't don't believe it will. Others believe it will. It's a matter of opinion. Time will tell. My concern is that eventual refusal will needlessly have wasted valuable time and money

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I always thought your home had been flooded you have no clue what that is like your basing your opinion on money being wasted and engineers not being able to build a road over a flood plain really

Advertisement