Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The president of LIT, mr.. cunnane was on rte news the other night calling for Moyross to receive greater connectivity. Well he can make an immediate start through opening the blocked entrances from the campus to Moyross.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Glenomra wrote: »
    The president of LIT, mr.. cunnane was on rte news the other night calling for Moyross to receive greater connectivity. Well he can make an immediate start through opening the blocked entrances from the campus to Moyross.

Have you read any of the recent posts on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Where?
    Where are these blocked access points between LIT and Moyross?

I've even provided maps a few posts up, show me where the access to LIT can be opened up without knocking homes?

There is a tiny portion of Moyross bordering LIT, the Greens have seized on opening LIT as a cure all.

It isn't!
    The distance from the LIT/Moyross border if a pedestrian access point was opened?
    Again, look at the mop, take a look at the distance from all of Moyross other than Cliona park(the only part of Moyross that borders LIT) to the Old Cratloe Road?

Then look at the distance from the rest of Moyross to the only border with LIT?

Pursuing a strategy of claiming LIT access is a fix, an option or anything other than sleight of hand in fixing Moyross' connectivity and isolation problems?
    Is quite frankly, patronising and idealistic green policy pushing that does nothing to serve one of the most deprived areas in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Glenomra

banie01 wrote: »
    Where?
    Where are these blocked access points between LIT and Moyross?

I've even provided maps a few posts up, show me where the access to LIT can be opened up without knocking homes?

There is a tiny portion of Moyross bordering LIT, the Greens have seized on opening LIT as a cure all.

It isn't!
    The distance from the LIT/Moyross border if a pedestrian access point was opened?
    Again, look at the mop, take a look at the distance from all of Moyross other than Cliona park(the only part of Moyross that borders LIT) to the Old Cratloe Road?

Then look at the distance from the rest of Moyross to the only border with LIT?

Pursuing a strategy of claiming LIT access is a fix, an option or anything other than sleight of hand in fixing Moyross' connectivity and isolation problems?
    Is quite frankly, patronising and idealistic green policy pushing that does nothing to serve one of the most deprived areas in the country.

A very informative post. I totally agree that a link between Moyross and LIT would make only a very marginal difference to connectivity between both places. I also think however that when the president of LIT demands greater and badly needed connectivity then he and his college should implement the improvements, marginal though they might be, that they can implement.

A very informative post. I totally agree that a link between Moyross and LIT would make only a very marginal difference to connectivity between both places. I also think however that when the president of LIT demands greater and badly needed connectivity then he and his college should implement the improvements, marginal though they might be, that they can implement.

Again, you keep saying this.
    Are you of the opinion then that LIT should seek to knock houses to institute near useless pedestrian access?

• Advertisement

I'll ask again - have you read any of the recent posts?

Can you go back to the post with the maps and show us where you think LIT can provide this access to Moyross?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Again, you keep saying this.
    Are you of the opinion then that LIT should seek to knock houses to institute near useless pedestrian access?

well lit probably are ,i vaguely remember them wanting to expand and knock a few of the cliona houses a long while back whether it was here say or not is another thing but it was a fairly persistant rumor at the time.

There should be better access to LIT the likes from Ballynanty and moyross but they are only small fixes if they an implement with out knocking houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

geotrig wrote: »
    well lit probably are ,i vaguely remember them wanting to expand and knock a few of the cliona houses a long while back whether it was here say or not is another thing but it was a fairly persistant rumor at the time.

There should be better access to LIT the likes from Ballynanty and moyross but they are only small fixes if they an implement with out knocking houses.

The cynic in me would be thinking that if I wanted to expand a campus in a direction that would involve knocking houses that it would be quite useful if it was done under an umbrella project to help the areas that were being knocked and being driven from that side.

The LIT expansion at the time it was mooted was a land swap for the Mayorstone end of Kelly's field for the Woodview/Cliona park end iirc.

There was rumblings of further demolition in Cliona during regeneration, but that wasn't LIT.
    It was the regen board, in the end they ended up adding new houses across the old pedestrian access point from Cliona into the field.

Fully agree that the closed avenues in Ballynanty should be reopened and properly pedestrianised.
    LIT and it's amenities need to be far more integrated into the local communities, all of them.

Ballynanty access to LIT also makes far more sense to people who'd live in the Dalglish and Cosgrave park areas, but still isn't actually all that useful from a connectivity standpoint.

Finishing the road and tackling the enclosures is the way to go.
    Moyross needs to be opened up, without the road however, there is no opening up that offers any benefit more than additional bus routes and those quite a walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

People of my age would call it St Nessans ;)
    There are far too many "Thomonds" in Limerick at this stage :)

I went to Nessans, and never know it changed names :eek:

• Advertisement

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    The cynic in me would be thinking that if I wanted to expand a campus in a direction that would involve knocking houses that it would be quite useful if it was done under an umbrella project to help the areas that were being knocked and being driven from that side.

I think that was the issue with the regen plan originally , people didnt trust it and saw it as a way to give Lit there land ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Looks like the Greens saw sense.
    Face saving, ar$e covering compromise by Shamon Ryan
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/606333/limerick-td-says-two-thirds-of-58m-road-will-proceed.html

adaminho wrote: »

I'm not going to read it but presume the 2/3rds are the footpath and cycle lanes :pac::D

I'm not going to read it but presume the 2/3rds are the footpath and cycle lanes :pac::D

:pac: :pac: :D

Apparently it will be built to the Moyross roundabout, but the Knocknalisheen portion won't be.

Good news for Moyross if accurate but this action in trying to halt the build, and the Greens awful media handling will bite Leddin on the arse come the next GE.

2/3 of the Limerick part only, which in distance terms is just about 1/4 of the overall scheme. Am I reading that right?

This is crazy but not surprising form the Greens, the road will be built but the delays causes now by the Greens will ensure new feasibility studies and new tendering processes will cost us a lot more.

The sooner the other government TDs give this crowd a wake up call the better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

2/3 of the Limerick part only, which in distance terms is just about 1/4 of the overall scheme. Am I reading that right?
    Looking at the map it's about half the new dual carriage road. But the Knockalisheen Road from its new roundabout into Watchhouse Cross was supposed to be upgraded with new footpaths and cycle lanes which now won't happen as part of this scheme.

Scheme maps are available here.

Looking at the map it's about half the new dual carriage road. But the Knockalisheen Road from its new roundabout into Watchhouse Cross was supposed to be upgraded with new footpaths and cycle lanes which now won't happen as part of this scheme.

I meant as a part of the end to end from the Ennis road to Dublin road. I had reduced expectations that it might go as far as the R463, but not even close.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It'll be nice to see the Green Party getting an absolute shellacking again at the next election. If the party is still there as a result of the infighting between the ideological purists and the more practical centrists.

Absolutely bizarre stuff to not have the Knockalisheen part go ahead, for the reasons outlined in the posts above.

The NTA have clearly outlined a case for this road in its entirety to be built in LSMATS. It'll be nice in a few years to have a few empty rail carriages trotting around the city while the congestion in place right now continues unabated.

• Advertisement

I know it wasn't in the original plan but I always thought they'd bring the road to the near the current level crossing on the Longpavement and install a cycle track to the railway bridge across the river and connect it to the red path and onwards towards UL via the Shannon Fields and the Guinness Bridge

I meant as a part of the end to end from the Ennis road to Dublin road. I had reduced expectations that it might go as far as the R463, but not even close.
    This section that we're discussing was never meant to go further than the Knockalisheen Road. The Greens are talking about reducing that even more.

The rest of the LNDR is a different scheme and isn't even at the planning stage yet. This is the latest update on that from Clare Co Co. from December.
    Limerick Northern Distributor Road (LNDR)
    During November, we fnalised the Project Appraisal Suite of documents which include the Project Brief, the Trafc Modelling Report, the Cost Beneft Analysis Report and the Project Business Case. These were formally submited by Clare County Council to the Department of Transport as Lead Authority on 19th November last for its review and approval to progress to the next stage. We await their decision in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Talk about a climb down.

Well it's good news that the connectivity for Moyross is open up.

This is by far and away the most important element of the LNDR.

The rest of the road will be built eventually without a doubt. It may take longer but it will be done

• Registered Users Posts: 14 whatdastory

Anyone know what the story is wit the development agency gettin involved? Seems to be all over twitter. I find that funny considering they have built nothing yet around d country. Even the train station almost 2 years on has nothing on the go! Won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

That's great news for Moyross assuming that plans aren't changed again. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
    My one reservation if the section to Knocklisheen doesn't go ahead would be if it creates a lot of through traffic in Moyross.

rob230te wrote: »
    That's great news for Moyross assuming that plans aren't changed again. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
    My one reservation if the section to Knocklisheen doesn't go ahead would be if it creates a lot of through traffic in Moyross.

That's one of the issues with the "new" plan. There's no thought given to the people of Moyross here, it's all about stalling the road.

It's well known that Brian Leddin has been against the LNDR since it was first proposed, it seems his first action as a government TD was to stall it, when that backfired he's come with a half arsed solution that will now send traffic up through Moyross that was originally supposed to be routed to the Knocklisheen Rd.

It will also add considerable cost the final 1/3 of the road when that is eventually completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The Green Party are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

That's exactly what they are!

Other issues with them,

In 2021! No proper road between Limerick-Cork,why,Green party holding up permission.

Carbon Tax- keep putting tax on petrol/diesel/home heating oil but offer no proper, realistic, easy application grants to install greener heating systems or purchase electric cars at realistic prices.

Too much focus on cycling, the weather here is not conducive to cycling for most of they year.

In fact if climate change continues in the manner the greens seem to think it will it may prove more and more difficult to get on a bike!

I can't believe the Green Leader is involved in deciding on the measures we have been adhering to for months re Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Widescreen wrote: »

Other issues with them,

In 2021! No proper road between Limerick-Cork,why,Green party holding up permission.

Carbon Tax- keep putting tax on petrol/diesel/home heating oil but offer no proper, realistic, easy application grants to install greener heating systems or purchase electric cars at realistic prices.

Too much focus on cycling, the weather here is not conducive to cycling for most of they year.

In fact if climate change continues in the manner the greens seem to think it will it may prove more and more difficult to get on a bike!

I can't believe the Green Leader is involved in deciding on the measures we have been adhering to for months re Covid.

The Moyross road and to road to Cork must have Leddin sweating about re-election alright. Very unpopular opinions in Limerick.

You are very wrong about cycling in Ireland though and there is evidence from plenty of countries in North Europe with weather just as poor or worse all the way up to Lapland that show Irelands levels of cycling could be way higher.
    Also it was historically way way higher in Ireland too and unless we previously had Mediterranean weather I was unaware of they were cycling in the same rain. In fact the whole idea that cycling is a warm southern European activity is a complete myth and its Belgium, The Netherlands and the countries north of them that have by far the largest cycling numbers

• Advertisement

Widescreen wrote: »

Other issues with them,

You're wrong about the M20. It's currently going through the planning process and will not be ready to be built for another 3-4 years. The delay in getting it built is down to previous FG governments, not the Greens. They don't want it built, but they've been overruled by FF and FG.

Advertisement