Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Northern Distributor Road Plan

Options
1606162636466»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

This road will have no bearing whether it goes up down or sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

seen this road mentioned yesterday with the purchase of the green field site in Annocotty as another reason to not build it 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The site that is supposed to be used as a park and ride to the city centre? That would surely have no impact on this road or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah I would think the same ,think it was sean hartigan that said it ,it was a radio news clip so I need to check out what exactly was said or implied a park and ride does nothing for traffic been routed through corbally, parteen areas really , i do think park and ride should be sought for all major roads into limerick. whether they work or not is another issue.

edit a quick google and Im not seeing him saying it ,but it was definitely implied in the news bulitin

P&Rs are handy only if there's an excellent public transport network available to serve it. The parking charge needs to be cheap and there need to be an easy means of exit at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The idea behind a P&R facility is to have fast access from said facility to your end destination. A quick look on google right now shows it would take a 16 minute car journey to get to Arthurs Quay from that roundabout, obviously longer at rush hour. If the P&R could match that time at rush hour it will be a huge success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

Anyone know of the official latest on phase 2 of this road?

It seems to have been omitted from all relevant development plans but it’s hard to determine the official stance due to ongoing debates & media flashes about the merits for or against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Eamonn Ryan has had it removed from the LSMATS plan, so until he's no longer Transport Minister, it's dead in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Something to remind Brian Leddin of next time he comes looking for a vote at the next GE

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭manna452121

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's the stalled Coonagh to Knockalisheen section. The contract is to finish what Roadbridge had started before they went bust.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given he’s on about running for Mayor perhaps he already knows his goose is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭manna452121

But at least something will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Very disappointed with the greens and I can see another wipeout for them next time round.

They are just ideological opposed to roads under any circumstances even when there are over whelming practical and safety issues. Whatever about the NDR their position on the Limerick Cork motorway is negligent to the 1000's of people who use the existing road daily.

It's a pity as some of their initiatives have really moved the green agenda front and centre e.g SEAI grants for home refurbishment

Having read the published LSMATS & when you look at the road projects in queue ahead of the phase 2 LNDR it’s hard to see it anytime soon new government or not.

ULs strategy for the Clare campus is heavily dependent on it however so I do wonder what pull they have in all of this…

I have heard reference to the LSMATs being a living document. A strategy that effectively changes all the time cannot be called a strategy. That’s feels like a fast track to completing nothing over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

The M20 is going ahead, they've recently published more detailed plans for it. It will be a great improvement on the old scheme in terms of walking/cycling infrastructure and services at junctions. It should be used as standard for all new road projects

ULs strategy for the Clare campus would be a bad result for the city and hopefully it won't go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Well I hope that the planners aren't basing their hopes on building the LNDR on today's landscape. All the route, on a Special area of Conservation, from Garraun in Clonlara to Lisnagry are under floodwaters. Before anyone reminds me i do know that our department of transport are capable of implementing 'an engineering solution' on this fragile floodplain but is that what people want when alternatives are available.

• Advertisement

They have 500 acres or so on their plans & at least some of that purchased. They are in the scale of a city all in if to progress!

Maybe that's a plan, go for an old town and new town.

It appears they locked the corridor from the various options following the millions spent on the studies conducted. It feels like the University is what pulled it through the route you described & unnecessarily close to the Shannon

To shift the route more north could have meant crossing a bog or approaching the canal, neither being good options.

Anyone familiar with the corbally area will know when the schools are off how the congestion is all but gone. I personally don’t see how another road solves this issue. The traffic will still be going the same way at peak times to access the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,628 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The road will make a difference for all the people not looking to access the schools.

Don't forget when the schools are off it takes away a lot of traffic from working parents who book holidays but who may not be from those schools in Corbally and it also takes away traffic going to the various universities.

That's precisely the problem. Their proposed development will be a direct competitor for investment for the region when national policy is to concentrate and density existing towns and cities.

Developing a new town on 500 acres of green fields in an inaccessible corner of the city and away from public transport is an altogether outdated idea and the wider city will suffer if it happens

I get it. I just don’t think a road solves it or at least with a futuristic vision in mind when the area hopefully grows we end up back here looking for more roads .

If to remove traffic but improve access for those that need to go in to town it should be a sustainable, scalable growth enabling set of options. Another road is not that for me even-though it would make life a lot easier for access to castletroy etc in theory.

If the metropolitan area wants to grow like any other city in EU or US we need 21st century public transport. What we have currently is pretty abysmal

Agreed.

Its been made pretty clear the tunnel is under performing & the gov would incur penalties for development of another route option.

Advertisement