Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

• 14-07-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread July 14th 2008

This thread is for team talk, Gossip and Rumours pertaining to Liverpool FC. This thread is open for all users to post in. There are no preferences for fans of any team.

Please note the following Rules:

1. NO MATCH DISCUSSIONS
    - Match threads will be created for matches/match weeks where required.
    - Match discussion will be deleted.

2. Transfers.
    - When a major transfer occurs, please post in the specific thread
    - We will merge/split discussion on requests
    - We will delete transfer discussion that continues here while a tangent thread is in progress.

3. Users who repeatedly ignore these guidelines will receive warnings/bans.

Previous Discussion Thread is located here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

First In!

I just cant believe that Juve aren't gonna pay 15 or 16mill for Alonso, he's perfect for them and is one of the few players around that price bracket that could make a massive difference for them. it all depends on how he'd settle, but thats the risk you take if not paying 20/25mill, and the Italian league looks purpose built for a player of his type. Going for Poulsen instead has just baffled me. Think Alonso could benefit from the move as well, becoming the head honcho in midfield like he was at Sociedad again (and early on at liverpool) could be just what he needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i cant believe you beat me for first in :(

I'm shocked there hasnt been a hell of a lot more interest in Alonso as well.
    I want Garcia to come back instead of Pennant. He's better than him, provides more options, big game player and has the heart/attitude to play for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think it's perfectly obvious why. Clubs are viewing him as an injury risk. for someone who hasn't performed consistently for the past two years 15million sterling is a lot money, and only the bigger clubs in the premiership would be willing to spend that kind of money on a player like Alonso.

i think it's perfectly obvious why. Clubs are viewing him as an injury risk. for someone who hasn't performed consistently for the past two years 15million sterling is a lot money, and only the bigger clubs in the premiership would be willing to spend that kind of money on a player like Alonso.

I dunno about that, the way money has been flying around the past few years. Im not sure it really is that much, considering he's rarely actively bad, just not his best. Im amazed that some manager doesn't pay the 15mill and try to get the best out of him. If he was to perform consistently again (and lets not forget he was consistently great for 2 seasons when he joined us, and almost dragged Sociedad to the league title before he joined us [with a little help from nihat of course]), so theres a very good chance a change could rekindle his consistency. On injuries, i dont think he can exactly be considered a crock just yet, sure he had a lot of niggly injuries this year, but most players have 'one of those years' over the course of their careers. Only other time he's been out for a prolonged period was when Lampard broke him.

<edit>
    Looking at it, its not dissimiler to the punt we took on Torres. Highly rated, tonnes of potential, but lacked consistency, could go 20games only scoring 3 or 4 goals and then get 8 in 10. We went for him, the change has done him wonders, and his value has skyrocketed. Could see a similar scenario benefitting whoever is brave enough to try him.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dunno about that, the way money has been flying around the past few years.

outside of the premiership though this was quite a hard year for European clubs. seems to be a considerable amount of debt everywhere tbh. for example I read today that Real are owed over 50 million by various different clubs in Spain, one of the reasons their debt is so high apparently. many Clubs seem to have been spending above their means in recent seasons.
    Im not sure it really is that much, considering he's rarely actively bad, just not his best. Im amazed that some manager doesn't pay the 15mill and try to get the best out of him.

Again though, Benitez is highly rated, particularly at getting the most out of players what with his CL win and all. I'm sure a lot of managers are thinking, 'if Benitiez can't get him to play how am I gonna?'
    On injuries, i dont think he can exactly be considered a crock just yet, sure he had a lot of niggly injuries this year, but most players have 'one of those years' over the course of their careers. Only other time he's been out for a prolonged period was when Lampard broke him.

it's the little ones that are what scare though. normally if a player's been prone to them early on in his career it'll only get worse. perfect example Duff;

it doesn't have to be an entirely rational reason, I can see where you're coming from. but this is football afterall...
    Could see a similar scenario benefitting whoever is brave enough to try him.

in fairness Torres was singe handedly carrying a poor Atletico team on his shoulders for much of his time there. and the keyword is brave. the need to be so is exactly what's putting people off him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

First In!

I just cant believe that Juve aren't gonna pay 15 or 16mill for Alonso, he's perfect for them and is one of the few players around that price bracket that could make a massive difference for them. it all depends on how he'd settle, but thats the risk you take if not paying 20/25mill, and the Italian league looks purpose built for a player of his type. Going for Poulsen instead has just baffled me. Think Alonso could benefit from the move as well, becoming the head honcho in midfield like he was at Sociedad again (and early on at liverpool) could be just what he needs.

Totally agree - I'm still holding out (small) hope that Juventus are still interested - They havent come out anywhere I've seen and said - "we no longer have an interest in Alonso"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I want Garcia to come back instead of Pennant. He's better than him, provides more options, big game player and has the heart/attitude to play for us.

Think this is a case of living in the past tbh. Would only be a step back imo - also think you should be comparing Garcia to Benayoun, as opposed to Pennant?

So assuming that Alonso stays and Barry doesn’t come, where are we with the squad and transfers in?

In - £9.8m : - Degen (0.00) ; Dossena (6.80) ; Cavalier (3.00)

Out: - £18.5m : -Kewell (0.00) ; Riise (4.00) ; LeTallec (1.00) ; Crouch (11.00) ; Guthrie (2.50)

Likely Out :- £6m : Carson (4.00) ; Itandje (2.00)

Possible Out : £7m - Pennant (5.00) ; Finnan (2.00)

Net Gain : £8.7m
    Likely Net Gain : £14.7m
    Possible Gain : £21.7m

Transfer Kitty - I’m going for a transfer kitty of £15m to £20m. I also think Bentley is going to end up at Spurs, freeing up a £5m to Blackburn move for Pennant.

So the question is we have a total transfer fund of between £34.7m to £39.7m.

Assuming we manage to sign Keane for £20m from Spurs [pretty big assumption], this potentially leaves us with between £15m to £20m . The question is who do you think we should spend this money on? Anyone any ideas/opinions on who this could/should be ?

outside of the premiership though this was quite a hard year for European clubs. seems to be a considerable amount of debt everywhere tbh. for example I read today that Real are owed over 50 million by various different clubs in Spain, one of the reasons their debt is so high apparently. many Clubs seem to have been spending above their means in recent seasons.

Again though, Benitez is highly rated, particularly at getting the most out of players what with his CL win and all. I'm sure a lot of managers are thinking, 'if Benitiez can't get him to play how am I gonna?'

it's the little ones that are what scare though. normally if a player's been prone to them early on in his career it'll only get worse. perfect example Duff;

it doesn't have to be an entirely rational reason, I can see where you're coming from. but this is football afterall...

in fairness Torres was singe handedly carrying a poor Atletico team on his shoulders for much of his time there. and the keyword is brave. the need to be so is exactly what's putting people off him.

Of course all your saying is correct, and thats why there isn't as much interest at that price, just think myself theres a few teams that would be a great fit for him. Particularly Juve, Atletico and Seville. Atleti always have money and have been making a few big signings a year. Have a fantastic team there, and someone like Alonso could push them on to actually challenge for a title. Seville are flush too with the sale of Alves so could take a gamble on him. They're in need of another midfielder anyway after Poulsen left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I miss peter crouch.

• Advertisement

also think you should be comparing Garcia to Benayoun, as opposed to Pennant?

I think we should keep Benayoun and get Garcia in tbh.
    Assuming we manage to sign Keane for £20m from Spurs [pretty big assumption], this potentially leaves us with between £15m to £20m . The question is who do you think we should spend this money on? Anyone any ideas/opinions on who this could/should be ?

Silva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The old thread was the new thread!

Meet the new thread same as the old thread!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I miss the old thread :(

you're just pissed you aint the first post Mike ;)

IrishMike wrote: »
    I miss the old thread :(

Me too:o

Your damn right im pissed :(
    Ill just have to make up for it by having the most posts in the thread

* this post is not spam, honest ;)

Your damn right im pissed :(
    Ill just have to make up for it by having the most posts in the thread

* this post is not spam, honest ;)

i was talking about the other mike. (mike65)

Damn you Al!

Im off to change my name to fred or something!

I think we should keep Benayoun and get Garcia in tbh.

Silva.

I think having Garcia and Benayoun in the squad is a bit redundant as they are too similar. Also I think it's a case of trying to live in the past:p

Do you honestly think we could get Silva for £20m or less? I just don't think it's a runner. I think Valencia would be wanting more than that to be honest.

i think we could get Silva for about 20m, yea i actually do. if they are selling that is.

• Advertisement

speaking of matches, anyone have any links to decent highlights of the tranmere game? Seen the goal, but would like something more like 5 or 10 mins or so, so can get a look at the new guys in action.

i think we could get Silva for about 20m, yea i actually do. if they are selling that is.

Guess we'll have to disagree to agree - Don't think he'll be sold for anything less than £25m.

Also as regards options, I'm sure that Rafa has a list of backup options i.e he's got a list of other potential players if he doesn't get Keane. Anyone care to make any guesses who these might be?

I'm pretty sure Crespo on a free has to be on his options list [according to Elisha Scott on ynwa there was definite interest there but it was reportedly faded in the last while]

Fingers crossed we get our signings tied up this week, or maybe next week, and Rafa comes out and says - "that's it no more transfer activity"

Cant see the crespo thing happen at all.
    He hated England so it will really be a non runner in fairness.
    Personally would love to see Rafa move for Aimar.
    Reported cost is only 7m which in todays market is damn cheap for a player who could cover a host of positions for us.

On the youngster front, Nemeth scored in the 1-0 win over Bulgaria at the U-19 Euro match today.

Cant see the crespo thing happen at all.
    He hated England so it will really be a non runner in fairness.
    Personally would love to see Rafa move for Aimar.
    Reported cost is only 7m which in todays market is damn cheap for a player who could cover a host of positions for us.

With the Aimar thing I think he possibly might be worth it especially if we can pick him up cheaply. However he is pushing on 29 in Novemeber so he wouldnt have much in the way of resale value. Also looking at his career stats he's never exactly been much of a goal getter - no goals last season, and 5,5,4, and 4 in the seasons prior to that. At 5'7 there would be the standard questions about his ability to stand up to the physicality of the PL. I can see him being on the list of possibles, but I'd expect him to be a way down it. I don't think we should buy him cos he might be good value when he's not really what we need.

On the Crespo hating England thing - I think it may have been a case of hating Chelsea, as opposed to England. Definately wasnt happy there and doesnt sound like they did much of a job helping him settle in. Can't imagine the same thing happening at Liverpool with Rafa tbh

Article from 2005
    Crespo happy to be back after change of heart
    From Tom Dart in Washington
    THE early moments of Roman Abramovich’s Chelsea regime were strange and dizzy days. The club was whirled like a test tube in a centrifuge and what emerged was compelling but chaotic. The Russian’s bright flash of wealth and glamour dazzled but made it difficult to focus.

It was the season that Juan Sebastián Verón arrived from Manchester United for £15 million and played seven league matches before his removal to Inter Milan the next summer. It was the year Alexei Smertin was signed and instantly loaned to Portsmouth. Chelsea finished second in the Premiership yet Claudio Ranieri, the head coach, was sacked. It was also the year that a £16.8 million international striker on £94,000 a week drifted unchecked towards misery in his personal and professional life.

Hernán Crespo scored ten goals in 13 league starts for Chelsea in the 2003-04 season but was sent to AC Milan on loan last July and called a failure. He was: he failed to assimilate himself into life at a new club and a new country, he failed to live up to expectations on the pitch and he failed to treat José Mourinho with respect by not turning up to a breakfast meeting on the opening day of pre-season training.

It was not all his fault: he would have liked a little help and understanding. “My first experience at Chelsea was difficult because it was the first year of Abramovich’s ownership and everything changed and nobody knew what the position was,” he said. “Nobody asked me, nobody helped me. Nobody told me if it was better to live near Chelsea or near the training ground. I felt alone. When you change country, when you don ’t speak the language and you feel alone it’s the worst thing.

“That season I had a lot of injuries. When your mind is clear you feel well. Last year I didn’t miss one game, one training session. Why? Because my mind is clear. If your mind is clear you do everything at a higher level. You need the little things to make a difference.”

Small problems — sorting out his home, finding places to eat — added to bigger ones. His wife, Alessia, missed Italy and she was among guests threatened by a machete-wielding burglar at Verón’s London house. “I was not depressed but when I finished the season I seriously considered leaving football,” the 30-year-old said. “I spoke with Argentina’s trainer, I said I don’t want to go to the Copa America because I need to feel again the passion to play — because I don’t play for the money, I play for the passion.

“Now I feel everything’s more balanced, you feel confident, it’s a strong group. But I come here to learn. I want to learn the language — but somebody help me, it’s so difficult! Now I try again, I feel better.”

Mourinho met Crespo in Sardinia this summer and they reached an accord. There was little option but to welcome him back, with Abramovich refusing to sanction Milan’s request for another year’s loan and Chelsea unable to buy the world-class forward they looked for. Crespo’s frequent public pleas to stay at the San Siro proved fruitless.

“You don’t have a choice — if the owner wants you, the trainer wants you, you come,” he said. “They took a decision, I’m a professional and I do it. The desire from Chelsea for me to come back was more strong than Milan (to stay). The last time it was different.”

Still, Mourinho deserves credit for his role in restructuring the club on and off the pitch, providing a context in which Crespo believes he has the potential to be settled and successful. “Everything’s changed. He didn’t need a lot of words. I feel the manager has confidence in me,” he said. “My team-mates say they are very happy that I’m here. I feel good, I want to do something special but you need patience.”

Crespo even talked with enthusiasm about winning a trophy such as the Carling Cup. The days at Chelsea may still be strange. At least, two years after the shake-up that attracted then alienated Crespo, the club are more settled as he tries to embrace his second chance.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article549282.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

On the youngster front, Nemeth scored in the 1-0 win over Bulgaria at the U-19 Euro match today.

Yeah,he is going to be massive for us.The guy is an out and out goalscorer.Really looking forward to him taking the step up to the first team.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

wow, I questioned the relevence of this thread and my post got deleted. I loved the pool superthread, why on earth would anyone want a thread where you are only allowed to talk about certain things pool related. This is a real real shame because I didn't see anyone asking for this.

dardoz wrote: »
    wow, I questioned the relevence of this thread and my post got deleted. I loved the pool superthread, why on earth would anyone want a thread where you are only allowed to talk about certain things pool related. This is a real real shame because I didn't see anyone asking for this.

emmm it was asked for a lot actually.

plus there was always rules about wat you could and could not discusss in the thread.

there is a discussion or rules thread to discuss the changes

dardoz wrote: »

i dont really see much difference to the old thread really..just that comments during matches would go in the weekly match thread, which we always had anyway, rather then in here. Otherwise the only things that would get talked about elsewhere would be big signings/saga's which has always been the way anyway, eg Torres signing, Barry saga etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Think this is a case of living in the past tbh. Would only be a step back imo - also think you should be comparing Garcia to Benayoun, as opposed to Pennant?

So assuming that Alonso stays and Barry doesn’t come, where are we with the squad and transfers in?

In - £9.8m : - Degen (0.00) ; Dossena (6.80) ; Cavalier (3.00)

Out: - £18.5m : -Kewell (0.00) ; Riise (4.00) ; LeTallec (1.00) ; Crouch (11.00) ; Guthrie (2.50)

Likely Out :- £6m : Carson (4.00) ; Itandje (2.00)

Possible Out : £7m - Pennant (5.00) ; Finnan (2.00)

Net Gain : £8.7m
    Likely Net Gain : £14.7m
    Possible Gain : £21.7m

Transfer Kitty - I’m going for a transfer kitty of £15m to £20m. I also think Bentley is going to end up at Spurs, freeing up a £5m to Blackburn move for Pennant.

So the question is we have a total transfer fund of between £34.7m to £39.7m.

I know it's been said to death but silva... If I had one player to pick it would obviously be Villa but highly improbable, whereas Silva is more of a 'possibility' no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Infractions for anyone discussing rules in this thread (that includes replying to this post).

Dont panic, I think the Keane thing is close to being finalised.

dont actually use this site (YNWA.tv) but isnt this guy usually bang on?

a friend of Steven Gerrards if i'm not mistaken.

dont actually use this site (YNWA.tv) but isnt this guy usually bang on?

a friend of Steven Gerrards if i'm not mistaken.

Yeah - has a very impressive track record - fingers crossed

---Barry/Alonso--Mascherano
    --Keane----Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

like the looks of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Keane and Torres would be awesome for you lot, you will have some team now I'm afraid :o

• Advertisement

add in maybe one more attacking player who can play a variety of roles, Aimar for example, has been mentioned.....and i would feel that we can seriously mount a charge for the title.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do you really think that Spurs are going to part with both of their strikers.
    If the berbatov deal with Man Utd is close to been finalised as is been reported this evening, isnt it unlikely that Spurs will sell Keane.

i would have thought so, but if keane wants to leave, which he hasnt denied.....and now with Elisa Scott saying it, i think its a massive possibility.a lot of people think that Ramos doesnt really "fancy" Keane either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

[..] and i would feel that we can seriously mount a charge for the title.

We should challenge for the title regardless of our summer transfers, injuries aside. With Agger back, our Achilles heel of last year will be remedied. I expect Babel and Lucas to justify their hype this year with mature match-winning performances and Kuyt should also be back on form. Rafa chased this guy and stuck by him during his multiple and lengthy lean spells. Kuyt delivers on the big stage and is a tryer. Rafa must see something in him that we haven't seen yet. Keane will improve the squad, and the first team, but we're good enough to challenge already.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Rafa must see something in him that we haven't seen yet.

I'd say it's more a lack of a viable alternative tbh.

• Advertisement

Looks like Xabi isnt going to Juventus anyway.

Any chance they might want Carson or Itandje?
    Ranieri: Poulsen final Juve buy Monday 14 July, 2008

Claudio Ranieri has disappointed Juventus fans by announcing, “our transfer market is closed” after signing Christian Poulsen.

The unpopular Danish midfielder put pen to paper on a five-year contract to complete his £7.8m move from Sevilla this evening.

“With Poulsen our transfer activity is essentially over. Now we are just missing a second choice goalkeeper,” said Ranieri from their Pinzolo pre-season training camp.

“I am very happy with the results and thank the club for having given me a solid squad.”

Poulsen's arrival has been met by widespread protests among the Bianconeri supporters, who would have preferred Xabi Alonso from Liverpool.

“With Poulsen we continue the project that started before I arrived here to build a Juventus side at the highest level.

“I asked for two players for every position and I got them. Now we have to work hard and push it all the way.

“With this new signing we have quality in midfield. Whoever is unconvinced by Poulsen's talents will just have to be proved wrong.”

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jul14q.html

oobydooby wrote: »
    We should challenge for the title regardless of our summer transfers, injuries aside. With Agger back, our Achilles heel of last year will be remedied. I expect Babel and Lucas to justify their hype this year with mature match-winning performances and Kuyt should also be back on form. Rafa chased this guy and stuck by him during his multiple and lengthy lean spells. Kuyt delivers on the big stage and is a tryer. Rafa must see something in him that we haven't seen yet. Keane will improve the squad, and the first team, but we're good enough to challenge already.

I think you might be doing Keane a dissevice there.

In an attacking sense most people would consider Keane ahead of Babel, Lucas and Kuyt.

A squad containing Fernando Torres, Robbie Keane, Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, Andriy Voronin and Krisztian Nemeth is a hell of a different proposition to a squad containing Fernando Torres, Dirk Kuyt, Ryan Babel, Andriy Voronin and Krisztian Nemeth. For one thing we've previously shown just how good a striker named Robbie can do for Liverpool :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

---Barry/Alonso--Mascherano
    --Keane----Gerrard
    Babel--
    Torres

like the looks of that.

cant we just be a normal team and play 442 ?
    keane is a centre forward... no matter wat trap says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Does any top team in Europe play 4-4-2? I don't think so.

At the end of the day, the demands of modern football neccessitate a fluid team that allows players to both attack and defend as one unit. Hence the popularity of 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and so on.

On top of this, we don't have the players for 4-4-2. Pennant is the only out-and-out winger in the squad, Gerrard isn't an orthodox central midfielder, and we have no left-footed midfielder. Torres is not your typical striker either, and has thrived playing as the 1 in our 4-2-3-1.

4-2-3-1 suits our players, of that there is no question.

4-4-2 would be lunacy.
    None of our forwards are suited to 4-4-2 so it would make no sense to revert to that.
    Like to sounds of Keane to be honest but can people see us buying keane and barry
    without selling Alonso? I cant
    Wages alone would be a major problem as we have the lowest wage bill of the top 4 for a reason.

portuguese newspaper Pu"blico this morning, a well connected Porto/Lisbon rag.
    Not sure of the reliability

" Liverpool na oferta para Jao Ricardo Quaresma" Public' o 15.07.08 Os relatórios de manhã de Porto reivindicam que o clube do futebol de Liverpool concordou que uma taxa dos euro 29.5million para a venda de Ricardo Quaresma de Porto F.C que a notícia apenas está quebrando mas reitera as citações de Quaresma certas semanas há isso teve o " assinado para um club" grande; As sugestões que o negócio estêve mantido sob a tampa para finalizar os detalhes que serão anunciados logo.

TRANSLATED INTO:
    "Porto Confirm Liverpool In Bid For Jao Ricardo Quaresma"
    Public'o 15.07.08
    Morning reports from Porto claim that Liverpool football club have agreed a fee of 29.5million euros for the sale of Ricardo Quaresma from Porto F.C
    The news is just breaking but reiterates the quote from Quaresma some weeks ago that he had "signed for a big club"
    There are strong inside suggestions that the deal was kept under cover to finalise the details which will be announced shortly. More news to follow"

Ill be sickened if we sign that diving gimp.
    Overrated and never shows up on the big stage.
    Please God dont let it be true :(

Finally some good news!!!!
    Rafa getting 20m in CL money

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/liverpool/rafa-given-major-transfer-boost-758147.html

Rovers are planning for life without David Bentley and are set to make a £5m bid for Liverpool winger Jermaine Pennant. (Daily Mirror)

Would take 5m for him

Jazzy wrote: »
    cant we just be a normal team and play 442 ?
    keane is a centre forward... no matter wat trap says

No - we cant just be a "normal" team. Love the way you totally write off Trapatoni's footballing knowledge and experience. Out of curiousity, care to share your management experience :p True Keane can play as a centre forward, but he can also play as a traditional number 7 dropping deep and linking up play. This footballing intelligence is one of the reason I'm so delighted we've been linked with Keane. Given our squad players, just playing 4-4-2 all the time would be a waste of our players. I know that I want to see whatever formation plays Gerrard as deep striker type linking up with Nando up front. However the reason I want this formation is that it gets the best out of our best players, which I think is the most important thing.

Quaresma at €29.5m that's £23.5m STG - NFW - don't rate him, dont really want him. Ballague did say a while back that Rafa wasn't interested in him.

£5m for Pennant - Happy with that - Might even get a million or more out of Blackburn as this seems to be Blackburn's initial offer:p

On the other good news front - fingers crossed the gazump is in relation to increasing the fee to Livepool as opposed to upping Carson's wages.
    Albion set to gazump Stoke's £4m Carson bid
    Stuart James The Guardian, Tuesday July 15, 2008

West Bromwich Albion may hijack Stoke City's attempt to sign Scott Carson from Liverpool, with Tony Mowbray believed to be considering a late offer for the England international. The Albion manager, who has already inquired about Tottenham Hotspur's Paul Robinson, is in the market for a goalkeeper but he will have to move quickly if he is to secure Carson after Liverpool yesterday accepted Stoke's club-record £4m bid for the player.

It is understood that Carson and his representatives held talks with Stoke yesterday and that the two parties agreed personal terms to pave the way for the 22-year-old to become the first summer signing at the Britannia Stadium. Stoke, not surprisingly, are keen to finalise the transfer but Carson, mindful that Blackburn Rovers as well as Albion are keen to bring in a new goalkeeper, may well seek to buy time before he commits his future to the newly promoted Premier League club.

Other options are likely to be few and far between after the former Leeds United keeper endured a disappointing season last term. When he joined Aston Villa on a season-long loan last August, Martin O'Neill had been expected to make the deal long-term at the end of the campaign but those plans were shelved when Carson suffered a loss of confidence and form in the wake of his calamitous performance for England against Croatia at Wembley in November.

Xabi Alonso's proposed move from Liverpool to Juventus may be in doubt after the Italian giants completed the signing of the Danish midfielder Christian Poulsen. The 28-year-old Sevilla star signed for a reported £7.8m after impressing during his two seasons in the Primera División. Alonso, who plays a similar role to Poulsen, has been a £14m target for Juve. Poulsen will be formally unveiled later in the week but has not wasted any time in expressing his delight at joining the Italian giants. "I cannot wait to begin my adventure with Juventus," he said. "I know I will be able to earn the confidence of my new fans."

Juve's decision to sign Poulsen was received with mixed emotions by the club's fans, because the player is remembered for the controversy that struck Italy in Euro 2004. Poulsen was spat on by Italy's Francesco Totti during the sides' 0-0 draw in the competition, an incident which was captured by Danish television and resulted in the Roma playmaker receiving a three-match suspension.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/15/westbrom.stokecity

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is eyeing Real Mallorca midfielder Borja Valero.

The Daily Star Sunday says the £5 million-rated Valero is on Benitez's shopping list this summer.

Premier League club Liverpool have been linked with a move for Spanish midfielder Borja Valero of La Liga side Real Mallorca, according to his agent Alexander Caamano.

23-year-old Valero joined Real Mallorca in 2007, having not being able to make the grade at La Liga Champions Real Madrid, where he had been since a youth. Only being able to make the Madrid second team Real Madrid Castilla, who play in the second tier of Spanish football.

Caamano said, “Liverpool are interested in the boy after monitoring his progress last season.

“I hope to speak with Mallorca about this matter in the next few days”.

The Barralets sporting director Nando Pons would like to hold onto Valero, but would be willing to sell Valero “If a great offer arrives”.

Pons said: “The club needs money but we don’t want to break up the team we had last season.

“If a great offer arrives we will be forced to consider it”.
    Anfield boss Rafa Benitez could see Valero as an option to long-term target Gareth Barry (left)of Aston Villa, as Villans manager Martin O’Neill, holds out for the clubs valuation of the England International of £18million.

Heres hoping we get this guy instead of Barry and spend the money on Villa instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Transfer rumours are like buses.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement