Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

monkey9 wrote: »
    Paul Eaton 03 October 2008

Rafael Benitez today told Real Madrid they would be wasting their time making a transfer window bid for Daniel Agger.
    Reports in this morning's media suggested the Spanish giants are preparing to swoop for the Danish defender once the window reopens next year, but Benitez insists Agger is not for sale and remains a part of his future Anfield plans.

"The situation is very simple, Daniel Agger is our player and he is not for sale," said the Reds boss.

"His future is at Anfield and nowhere else. He knows my ideas because we have talked with him and he has a long future with us.

"We do not want to lose our concentration just before we play Manchester City by talking about other things but it is important that people know that Agger is not for sale."

Glad thats been cleared up anyway.

Agger seems really happy anyway so I don't see why he would want to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

question:

who has a better percentage win rate in first 250 games for Liverpool?

A)Shankly
    B)Paisely
    C)Benitez

answers on a postcard please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mr Alan wrote: »
    question:

A)Shankly
    B)Paisely
    C)Benitez

Its on the postcard but times are hard and I cant spare the cost of a stamp :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Benitez.

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

question:

A)Shankly
    B)Paisely
    C)Benitez

You would have to assume Paisley, but when you take into account your motive for posting, the answer is obviously Benitez. :D

• Advertisement

you people are too smart for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

question:

A)Shankly
    B)Paisely
    C)Benitez

Paisley ?

Cant find any statistic based on 250 games but in total

Paisley managed for 535 games with a 57.38% win rate
    Benitez managing for 250 games with a 56.8% win rate
    The great Shankley managed for 783 with a 51.98% win rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Does anyone know fergusons percentage?
    He would seen to be the benchmark these days.

Does anyone know fergusons percentage?
    He would seen to be the benchmark these days.

For united

Played 1220
    Won 706

57.87% win I think (feel free to correct me)

and just for anyone who might be interested
    Wenger 57.6% win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

According to Wikipedia, Rafa's is 56.63%.

• Advertisement

According to Wikipedia, Rafa's is 56.63%.
    I took it from here ...
    http://www.lfchistory.net/managers_lcstats.asp?manager_id=20

Another interesting stat is King Kenny

60.91% win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Aren't most Liverpool fans. We all want the two yanks out and a new stadium.

*assuming you mean sad in the sense of :(

Another interesting stat is King Kenny

60.91% win

Rafa out!!!!! Bring back Kenny!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Aldo can bugger off, what on earth would he know about the financial dealings of the club, just another ex player giving his uneducated tuppence (like Whelen, Souness and Houghton)
    On the pitch (Liverpool) are not doing too badly, they're holding their own

You'd swear we were mid table

Zabbo, Aldo is dead right-we are in trouble financially, this summer we had to sell to buy to an extent and we've just shelved the plans for our stadium! things are going well on the pitch, but we're still a tatters behind the scenes

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

zAbbo wrote: »
    Aldo can bugger off, what on earth would he know about the financial dealings of the club, just another ex player giving his uneducated tuppence (like Whelen, Souness and Houghton)

WTF, Aldo is pretty much spot on. Please don't compare him to Whelan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:confused: I didn't read anything wrong in that article. The fact is that Man Utd, Man City and Arsenal all have far bigger stadiums which enables them to bring in far higher match revenue. The longer the two Americans faff about over the building of Liverpool's new stadium, the more we'll lag behind in this area.

Ray houghton should be smacked over the head with a frying pan,

And i didn't mean sad as pathetic sad as in :(

Doesn't aldo have a hand in that sons of shankly movement.

• Advertisement

Chill the beans there zAbbo :)
    Ray houghton should be smacked over the head with a frying pan,

And i didn't mean sad as pathetic sad as in :(

Doesn't aldo have a hand in that sons of shankly movement.

I'd go with an aul' heavy duty griddle pan :pac:

I'd suggest a George Forman grill - no messin about!

L10863184.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just thinking..Liverpool could play a pretty amazing 4-3-3.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Alonso
    Masch

Gerrard

Keane
    Babel

Torres

Heavily reliant on the full backs getting forward. Id love to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Tusky wrote: »
    Just thinking..Liverpool could play a pretty amazing 4-3-3.

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio

Alonso
    Masch

Gerrard

Keane
    Babel

Torres

Heavily reliant on the full backs getting forward. Id love to see it.

aye a lot of people on here talked about expecting that when Keane was signed, including myself. Where it falls down though is in a complete lack of width, which was where we were in trouble towards the start of the season. Plenty of class through the middle, but no space to show it.

In theory, Keane in that position is a nice idea, but in practice he's a roamer and to be getting the best out of him, he would be moving into gerrards position.The natural progression from this is to play Gerrard on the right, which is all well and good except that he'd be pissed.

What you put up would still be quality, but i dont think we'll see it much as if it were to be used on a regular basis, one would have to question the logic of buying a deep central player in Keane for so much money, when one could have gotten a top notch wide attacker and actually be getting the best out of them. But Im sure we'll see it at some point during the season and it'll be interesting to see.

But we have definately been playing our best football so far when using the full width of the pitch to play the ball around. Not necessarily even just running down the line, but making neat triangle passes all over the park and not just in the central third.

Hehe Mike, I'd reckon a few smacks from Foreman himself might sort him out :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

There's just something about so many ex-Liverpool players.
    In some ways it's understandable.
    The played during a period where Liverpool were the best team in England, if not the world.
    We dominated English football, and won European Cups for fun.
    They seem to think that it's Liverpools God given right to win everything, every season.
    They just don't live in the real world.
    Or understand modern football.
    They can't comprehend the money, or politics involved.

Other clubs don't have it as bad to be honest, cause very few clubs had a period of dominance like that.

In twenty years, if Utd are struggling, I'm sure that they'll have a fair few ex players pissing off fans every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Maybe with all these quality options the selection has become too complicated even for Rafa and he ends up defaulting with a fairly steady team. Perhaps after the international break he'll have a chance to figure out the optimum rotation for that week.

I'd love to see that 4-3-3 too. Against a good team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If any of you lot are on Irishkop I can get you a day trip to the Wigan game, there are limited places left with match ticket now for 125. all in day trip...they are super trips and a great bunch of lads I am going myself.

The deatils are the same as before:-

Departs Dublin Irish Ferries - Dublin Port 0840
    there will be a bus collecting from Holyhead, and its straight to Anfield

we normally arrive approx 1pm

meet after the game in the Vines "Big House" Pub, which is beside the Adelphi Hotel,

Collecting at the Adelphi Hotel around the side at 11pm

back to holyhead for the 0240 sailing,
    normally cabins available

arrive dublin 0555 sunday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Money's tight at the moment, but I'm gonna have to get over soon!

• Advertisement

I was due to go to Stamford for the Chelsea game, but had compleely forgotten that I'm running the Dub marathon the next day!
    Kinda put an end to that.
    I might be up for the Wigan game.
    I'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Dub13 wrote: »
    If any of you lot are on Irishkop I can get you a day trip to the Wigan game, there are limited places left with match ticket now for 125. all in day trip...they are super trips and a great bunch of lads I am going myself.

The deatils are the same as before:-

Departs Dublin Irish Ferries - Dublin Port 0840
    there will be a bus collecting from Holyhead, and its straight to Anfield

we normally arrive approx 1pm

meet after the game in the Vines "Big House" Pub, which is beside the Adelphi Hotel,

Collecting at the Adelphi Hotel around the side at 11pm

back to holyhead for the 0240 sailing,
    normally cabins available

arrive dublin 0555 sunday morning

That sounds like a great deal but are those day trips not absolutely knackering??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

I think our financial dealings are pretty much common knowledge, id say few would feel they're good for the club. Hicks spent nearly all of last season in the papers even though all his talk was doing him no favours
    Glad thats been cleared up anyway.

Agger seems really happy anyway so I don't see why he would want to leave.

I hope your right, id never drop Skrtel on current form, he's been quality, id hate to loose agger though

I was due to go to Stamford for the Chelsea game, but had compleely forgotten that I'm running the Dub marathon the next day!
    Kinda put an end to that.
    I might be up for the Wigan game.
    I'll take a look.

Hopefuley you can make it.We are also having a IrishKop beers for the Chelsea game in Sinnots on 26 Oct,its the day before the marathon I know this because a lad on Irishkop is running the marathon but he is coming in but only on the soft drinks.

You are all welcome.

slingerz wrote: »
    That sounds like a great deal but are those day trips not absolutely knackering??!

They are fine,this will be my third one so far this season.The crack with the lads keeps you going.So people get a cabin on the way back and have a kip.

Hopefuley you can make it.We are also having a IrishKop beers for the Chelsea game in Sinnots on 26 Oct,its the day before the marathon I know this because a lad on Irishkop is running the marathon but he is coming in but only on the soft drinks.

You are all welcome.

I think I know the guy.
    I'm the one who got him to agree to run the marathon sure!
    (He hates me now!!!:p)

I'll definately be in Synotts for the Chelski game, and should know tomorrow about the Wigan game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

They are fine,this will be my third one so far this season.The crack with the lads keeps you going.So people get a cabin on the way back and have a kip.

How many people usually head over to these day trips. I am interested in it but I don't know if i'd be flying solo or whether i'd have an accomplice with me.

I have joined Irish Kop last week so i'll try and make up my mind in the next day or so.

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    How many people usually head over to these day trips. I am interested in it but I don't know if i'd be flying solo or whether i'd have an accomplice with me.

I have joined Irish Kop last week so i'll try and make up my mind in the next day or so.

We have two trips going to this one,one group flying into Birmingham airport and getting a bus up.These all booked early and got flights for around 30/40 euro all in.

The you have a bus load going over on the boat,I am on this one and this is the one we have space on.I am not sure we booked a big bus (53 seats) or the smaller one (33) as Pam is organizing this one.I was not meant to be going to this game only decided to go yesterday.

Don't worry about going alone a few lads come alone and you will not be alone you will be with a great bunch of lads who will make you feel very welcome.

One thing that has really frustrated me so far this season is how Rafa has dealt with Babel. I thought he was really starting to realize his potential...and not just from the bench. He showed improved control, better decision making and a more positive attitude. He scored against United and got an assist in the Champions League qualifier. I know Rafa wants to give Riera some games but Babel has had too limited chances considering the promise he has shown.

One thing that has really frustrated me so far this season is how Rafa has dealt with Babel. I thought he was really starting to realize his potential...and not just from the bench. He showed improved control, better decision making and a more positive attitude. He scored against United and got an assist in the Champions League qualifier. I know Rafa wants to give Riera some games but Babel has had too limited chances considering the promise he has shown.

I think I remember a recent interview with Rafa where he way saying that he was happy with his overall play but his tactical awareness was something he needed to work on.

Babel is still very young and if far from the complete article. He is obviously developing and there is no need to rush him. I expect him to feature alot more season than he did but he won't become a starting player this season. I wouldn't base anything on the first few games of the season as he was at the olympics.

If I remember rightly, you were also very disgruntled with the apparent treatment of Finnan? If I am right, also thought at the time that you were being unrealistic. Loyalty is important but the manager knows exactly what he is doing and in my opinion, has never been wrong in his decision to get rid of a player.

I think I remember a recent interview with Rafa where he way saying that he was happy with his overall play but his tactical awareness was something he needed to work on.

Babel is still very young and if far from the complete article. He is obviously developing and there is no need to rush him. I expect him to feature alot more season than he did but he won't become a starting player this season. I wouldn't base anything on the first few games of the season as he was at the olympics.

Hes 22 in a couple of months. Hes not that young. Hes definitely not the finished article but the only way he will improve is with games. Hes looked great anytime he has played this season so why not continue playing him ? It would do his confidence a world of good.

Psv - 10 minutes
    Everton - didnt play
    Stoke - 25 minutes
    Marseille - started
    Man United - 20 minutes and scored the winner
    Aston Villa - didnt play
    Standard Leige - 20 minutes and got an assist to win the game
    Middlesborough - 20 minutes

I want to see him get more games.

• Advertisement

I don't think confidence is an issue. His poor first touch, decision making and passing are the concerns that I would have. I don't think he deserves a starting spot to be honest but do expect him to play more this season than the last few fixtures would suggest he is going to.

His poor first touch, decision making and passing are the concerns that I would have.

All of which have improved muchly thus far this season...

I don't really agree to be honest. He seems better but not much.

Not seen enough of him either to draw proper conclusions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Tusky - I was surprised to see how little he has actually played - then I remembered the Crewe game as well - pretty sure he played the full 90 in that as well.:)

I think the Olympics certainly didnt help his case, or the injury he picked up with the Dutchies prior to Euro 2008, which curtailed his pre-season prior to the Olympics. I would expect and hope to see quite a good bit of him this season and I think he has improved from what I have seen of him. I think the arrival of Riera and even in a sense Keane havent exactly helped him nail down a first-team place.

I was well surprised to see Babel play on the right when he came on as sub during the week. I have to say the substitutions mid-week confused me - I didnt understand why you would replace Riera with Benayoun as opposed to Babel. I would have thought that Babel has pretty much nailed down first sub in a sense especially on the left. I do not like Benayoun playing on the left especially if Kuyt is playing on the right as I think it is a very narrow formation.

Anyone thinking we might actually see some more of Babel on the right? Only as a sub but I could see a certain logic in replacing Kuyt with Babel on occasion - I wouldnt expect it to be a common occurence but I do think it could be a possibility. He looked pretty decent on the right in his cameo mid-week.

I think Riera has the upper hand at the moment on the left-side - mainly because Riera doesn't ever seem to lose possession cheaply, whereas Babel does. While Babel probably offers more of a goal threat, Riera offers more in terms of link-up play and in a defensive sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Anyone know where I can watch the game on the web? I know its probably available on sopcast but the quality is rubbish, anyone know if there showing it on anywhere like ustream?
    Thanks

I don't really agree to be honest. He seems better but not much.

Not seen enough of him either to draw proper conclusions ;)

I think he's looking better and better every game he plays in, he has serious potential, he'll be a great player (not really ready yet though). Riera has been quality as well though so he'll probably rotate between the two later in the season.

Check the match thread

Mike

YOU ****ING LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS!

I'M ****ING DELIGHTED

COME ON YOU RED MEN!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

we played some great football at times, but defending still needs improvement. Doesnt look like we will be seeing Skrtel for a while unfortunately but it gives Agger a chance to shine. Reina needs to sort out that wall for freekicks as well, shocking 2 man wall invited the shot!

anyway brilliant turn around, we're really starting to see a confident side that i havent seen in us in absolutely years...

Great result and dont want to be talking negative after it but...
    Hes 22 in a couple of months. Hes not that young. Hes definitely not the finished article but the only way he will improve is with games. Hes looked great anytime he has played this season so why not continue playing him ? It would do his confidence a world of good.

Psv - 10 minutes
    Everton - didnt play
    Stoke - 25 minutes
    Marseille - started
    Man United - 20 minutes and scored the winner
    Aston Villa - didnt play
    Standard Leige - 20 minutes and got an assist to win the game
    Middlesborough - 20 minutes

I want to see him get more games.

What does Babel have to do to get a game ? The only thing not playing him will do, is dent his confidence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement