Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tusky wrote: »
    What does Babel have to do to get a game ? The only thing not playing him will do, is dent his confidence.

Babel has to play from the start like the way he plays as a sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Giving the circumstances, I don't think it was suited to Babel coming on

_45080492_kuyt226x282.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Babel has to play from the start like the way he plays as a sub

The one start that he has had in the league this season was possibly his best ever game for us. Thats why I'm so frustrated. He looks fantastic from the start which showed real progress....and then he was dropped..and has barely featured since.

Did anyone see after the match interviews? Any word on Skrtel...?

The commentators were saying that Carra was screaming at him to get up. Carra's kerazy

The one start that he has had in the league this season was possibly his best ever game for us. Thats why I'm so frustrated. He looks fantastic from the start which showed real progress....and then he was dropped..and has barely featured since.

I guess Rafa has some other plan then.

Rafa seems to prefer him as an impact sub as thats were his goals come from.

I guess Rafa has some other plan then.

Rafa seems to prefer him as an impact sub as thats were his goals come from.

Babel - Far More Than a Super Sub

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161493080929-1308.htm

29th September - article based on comments by Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Rafa has had great success with the players he is playing though, so it is understandable if he's reluctant to change things.

It's a long season, and there's no doubt that Babel will get his chance. Rafa is right to stick with his form players, and unfortunately that means talented players like Babel and Agger have to be benched. Agger will get his chance in the coming weeks, and no doubt Babel will too - though hopefully under better circumstances1

Rafa wrote:
    "But first of all he has to improve tactically and we are working with him on that.

I dunno to be honest why he doesn't play him. I would prefer to see him on the pitch than Kyut (not today of course ;) )

I think there is a lot of pressure on him and he tries to do too much at times. I think this is what rafa is working with him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

On Babel, whatever about not starting him, Riera is quality and in a bit of form too so either way its disappointing on some level, But, I absolutely cant understand why Yossi is coming on on the left instead of Babel. Absolutely just dont get it. I like Yossi, but Babel is far better on the left. If Yossi's coming on he really needs to be either central or right to do his best work.

On Skrtel;
    Rafa Benitez fears Liverpool's Martin Skrtel could be set for an extended spell on the sidelines after injuring his knee against Manchester City.

The Reds stopper fell awkwardly late on when attempting to keep the ball away from substitute Ched Evans at The City of Manchester Stadium.

Skrtel was caught in the air by Evans and upon landing his right leg caught in the ground and needed to be stretched off with his leg heavily strapped.

Benitez has confirmed Skrtel will have a scan on Monday, although should he require any length of time on the sidelines Daniel Agger is on stand-by to fill in.

"It seems serious. He's twisted his knee and now we have to wait for the scan," the Spanish tactician told Sky Sports.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4249446,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

what a win, fantastic 2nd half performance.

Riera put in his best performance yet, some of his balls into the box were top class.

Hopefully Skrtel won't be out for too long. He's been amazing since he came in January. It's great that we have quality like Agger to fall back on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Delighted with the win today. Have not seen Skrtels injury but it sounds serious enough...lets hope he wont be out for too long. Agger has his chance now to show his class unless Rafa does something like bringing in Hypia instead of him :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I absolutely cant understand why Yossi is coming on on the left instead of Babel. Absolutely just dont get it. I like Yossi, but Babel is far better on the left. If Yossi's coming on he really needs to be either central or right

Totally agree - though in fairness he did well to set up the winner. I think Riera had another good game today and it would be hard to justify starting Babel ahead of him.

Great result - but I'm not going to get carried away just yet.

Disappointing about Skrtel but I'd imagine Dagger will be looking to grasp his chance with both hands.

I thought Aurelio was poor again today and I would prefer to see Dossena starting in the next few games. Am I alone in this? Arbeloa didn't have one of his better games but he was probably due an off day.

City really need to learn how to defend if they are going to challenge for a European place - They've shipped 18 goals in 7 league matches - the most of any team in the league. As against that I could possibly see them winning some points against the other big teams if they have a bit of luck.

From reports it seems like Chelsea steam-rolled Villa even without a number of big players. I think they are the main competition ahead of Utd for the league at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

With Skrtel gone for the next few weeks at least, I'm hoping that the rest of the players come out unscathed from the International break. That should easily get us a home win against Wigan on the 18th :o leading to the big one against Chelsea on the 26th Oct in the fight for top spot. The Dagger likes scoring against Chelski, remember! .....Oh yeah Nando going back to Athletico is between those fixtures......but we won't really worry about that fixture

I've never been so optimistic as a Liverpool supporter as I am right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

MartinSkrtel_1265253.jpg

OUCH!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is the article that I was referring to a few posts back.

He is doing nothing but making excuses for Babel. He obviously rates him but he obviously doesn't feel that he is up to the pace of the PL yet.

Can we stop this second guessing Rafa all the time. It is bad enough that idiot opposition fans do it but fans should know better.

• Advertisement

MartinSkrtel_1265253.jpg

OUCH!!!

Thats is some photo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Can we stop this second guessing Rafa all the time. It is bad enough that idiot opposition fans do it but fans should know better.

I agree with you there jesus_thats_gre but I confess that during the match I was wondering teh same (obvious) things that fans here brought up and that the professional clowns who used to be talented players will no doubt bring up later on telly. Specifically - why no Keane or Babel? Why persist with Kuyt when he was having a poorish game from what we could see on the stream. Is Benitez being stubborn and rotating these players regardless of their form? Why bring on Yossi?

Anyway Rafa was vindicated in all his decisions. If we had lost (eg if Robinho had put that chance away at 2-1) the tone of our analysis would be very different on here. Even at 65 minutes we were dominating the game and although I was dying to see Babel and Keane come on, in my head I was thinking "hang on here, we can win this with the team we have on the pitch". Rafa has a cool head, not a fan's head.

Rafa has nothing to prove as a coach, it's been obvious from day 1 that he's a genius. The niggling doubts fans have (me for example) about spotting good strikers, man management, match-winning substitutions have more or less evaporated. His annoying inconsistency and refusal to play on-form fringe players still grates me as a fan.. sometimes but he got the right result today. He's had a bit of luck this season too but we've ridden that luck and are looking very accomplished now.

Until I can understand his methods though I'll still question his more bizarre decisions and I think most fans will be the same. As for the idiots, just ignore them and they disappear.

*edit PS I hate seeing that kind of photo :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

On Babel, whatever about not starting him, Riera is quality and in a bit of form too so either way its disappointing on some level, But, I absolutely cant understand why Yossi is coming on on the left instead of Babel. Absolutely just dont get it. I like Yossi, but Babel is far better on the left. If Yossi's coming on he really needs to be either central or right to do his best work

Agreed, Babel doesn't do it on the right and Yossi doesn't do it on the left, that wasn't the case today though and Rafa got it right. I do feel he makes a few mad ones from time to time but theres also a few that you can put down to genious or knowing better and today might be one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Something has definitly changed, once upon a time, not so long ago if Liverpool conceeded the first goal that was almost certainly that regarding a win - a draw might even be hard work. Now for the first time in years I'm not getting too worried at the scoreline only how they are playing.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is doing nothing but making excuses for Babel. He obviously rates him but he obviously doesn't feel that he is up to the pace of the PL yet.

Football at this level will always be scrutinised and analysed to the highest degree, no sane person believes they know more than a top flight premiership manager, especially one as successful as Rafa. But when things are not going right, fans in general feel the need to blame someone, and that buck usually stops at the man that picks the team. Even yourself today at half time "second guessed" Rafa.
    Stick Gerard out on the right and put Keane beside or in hole hole behind Torres..

Wouldn't object to seeing Babel on for Kuyt either.

We don't need a grafter now. We need that extra bit of quality.

To give any manager Carte Blanche and not question any of his decisions is more akin to blind naivity than disloyal questioning fan.

Rafas tactics worked to a tee today in the 2nd half, he did make a couple of odd decisions but decisions that ultimately worked, he was practically having sex with Kuyt walking off the pitch, ovbiously delighted and relieved.

The Reality is that all managers do things that fans will question, no one should be immune from it, I'm positve Rafa will make a couple of stupid decions this season that everyone will jump on, but the secret is to limit these mistakes so it inflicts the least amount of damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Today was a very happy day for me.
    Not once, throughout the whole game, did I not think that Liverpool would win.

Not draw, win.

All too often, since I was 7/8 years old, it's been the same old thing with Liverpool.
    In the prem, we have to be 3 goals up, before I can relax.

When we're down, it's always a chance that we'll get the draw, or even the win, but I've never truly expected it.

In Europe, I feel like we're gonna win every game.
    I'm shocked if we loose, no matter how badly we play, cause the team know how to win in Europe.

They expect to win in Europe.

But in the league, sometimes winning is a pleasant surprise, or even a shock.

Today, at half time.
    2-0 down to a team at home, with the crowd all behind them, and with some really tasty players, I knew that we'd win.
    I remember telling my friend that it'd be either 2-4, or 2-3.
    Even when Torres missed the sitter, at 2-2, I remember turning to my friend and telling him, I guess it's only gonna be 2-3 then.
    I just knew we'd score again.

I really am starting to feel something here.

If Liverpool had Real, Inter, Man Utd, Bayern, Arsenal, Barca, Milan, and Chelsea as our next 8 games, I'd be mildly surprised at every point dropped.

Don't get me wrong here.

I don't see us winning every single game, in every competition!
    I just have the same confidence in the league, that I've had for the last few years in Europe.

Arsenal are shaky, Utd don't seem to have progressed much from last season, and Chelski are the pack leaders at the moment, on great form.

If we beat Wigan, and then end Chelskis undefeated home run, then I honestly believe that the title is ours to loose.

And I for one wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we do get those results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Liverpool beginning to look like the real deal this year after a lot of false dawns. Coming from behind to beat both Manchesters they showed a lot of courage and fighting spirit. I think Rafa has finally realised that rotating the team willy nilly is not the way to progress in the league. Hopefully they can continue in this vain and push Chelsea and ManUtd all the way until next May. If he lines out the strongest XI available in every game, i predict Liverpool will come very close and may even win the league who knows. Looking good so far anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Agreed. Following on from the Middlesboro game, this is the bite we've lacked for years. This result would have been a 2-1 loss last year.

I know I've been a bit negative regarding some of the play, but I always said I hoped I was wrong. I just hope I'm not jinxing things.

That said, don't rule out United. They've been in worse positions than this and come flying back.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Rafa has finally realised that rotating the team willy nilly is not the way to progress in the league.

****ing insta lifetilt at this post. Come on, do people seriously not think about the game and what actually happens as opposed to just running with a few soundbites they hear from idiot pundits or clueless fans?

The above post is particularly hilarious on a day where we dropped Robbie Keane from the starting line - up.

Anyway, brainlessness aside, I think everyone needs to remember that we are still in the early part of the season. There is a long way to go and as Europe gets tougher it will be harder to win at the weekends. We still have no idea how we are going to run with injuries (Skrtel being out is bad as I think he was playing really solidly thus far and he and Carragher were beginning to get a partnership going) and suspensions and have plenty of extremely difficult league games to get through.

Today was awesome and it is the kind of day that makes it easier to deal with the pain that we are thrown a lot of the time - but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves after seven games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

When are we going to be seen as genuine title contenders? A lot of the lads in the pub where i work were laughing when it was suggested today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Melion wrote: »
    When are we going to be seen as genuine title contenders? A lot of the lads in the pub where i work were laughing when it was suggested today.

When it gets to February, if we're still in a good position, then we're proper title challengers. From that point on, each season we would be from the start, but we just have to stay in the race till the end once before we can be considered title challengers.

I think that would suit us anyway, theres no point adding a mountain of expectancy on top of the players. We'd be much better off if they're not thinking about it, and simply enjoying playing good football and getting results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

whats been done so far is the usual business for utd, chelsea, arsenal....

as rebel said, lets see where we are in jan/feb, then we can start reflecting on how good a start it was.

going good so far anyway. hopfully skrtle isnt as bad as he looked today, but i'm glad agger will get some games and hopefully re-cement his place (watch now as rafa picks sami in the next game :pac: ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Still to early for dick waving. Still only out of the blocks. Great character though on the fightback.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

When it gets to February, if we're still in a good position, then we're proper title challengers. From that point on, each season we would be from the start, but we just have to stay in the race till the end once before we can be considered title challengers.

I think that would suit us anyway, theres no point adding a mountain of expectancy on top of the players. We'd be much better off if they're not thinking about it, and simply enjoying playing good football and getting results.

agreed, who gives a flying **** whether people think we are genuine challengers at the moment. Hopefully we will be in the mix early next year.

I'm not sure myself yet, it's great to come back from behind but you can only do that so many times. Not going behind in the first place would make me much happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

I know a lot of you lads are big fans of Agger's but I really think Skrtel's injury could be very bad news for us. He has been outstanding so far this season and imo is more important than Agger. No doubt Agger is a talented footballer but I think Skrtel is better against the physical teams in the league (and there is quite a few of them). The wigan game should tell a lot as this is the type of game Skrtel would thrive in. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Heading to the Wigan game so really looking forward to it as the buzz should be super there. I'll be in the Park bar beforehand (from early on) if anyone is meeting up for a jar.

• Advertisement

Apart from this hangover.

I am very very happy today. 2-0 down at half time, epic tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    ****ing insta lifetilt at this post. Come on, do people seriously not think about the game and what actually happens as opposed to just running with a few soundbites they hear from idiot pundits or clueless fans?

The above post is particularly hilarious on a day where we dropped Robbie Keane from the starting line - up.

Anyway, brainlessness aside, I think everyone needs to remember that we are still in the early part of the season. There is a long way to go and as Europe gets tougher it will be harder to win at the weekends. We still have no idea how we are going to run with injuries (Skrtel being out is bad as I think he was playing really solidly thus far and he and Carragher were beginning to get a partnership going) and suspensions and have plenty of extremely difficult league games to get through.

Today was awesome and it is the kind of day that makes it easier to deal with the pain that we are thrown a lot of the time - but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves after seven games.

Well let me phrase it differently then. Rafa isn't rotating as much as he did in the last few years which leads to more continuity and will lead to more regular wins. Dropping Robbie Keane is no biggie, he hasn't scored a goal in the league yet, resting him now and again to throw him on for the last 20/30 minutes will not be detrimental to Liverpools chances. In fact to have someone with a lot of pace and energy like Robbie coming in the last 30 minutes very much benefitted Liverpool yesterday. Gerrard and Torres are the two key players in this team in my estimation. To drop either for any league game would be almost criminal. This is the kind of thing that Rafa was doing, but seems to have realised that these guys are essential to Liverpools challenge and are undroppable at the moment. The starting XI needs to be pretty much consistent, minor alternations are not an issue thats why Liverpool have a squad consisting of more than 11 players plus a few subs. The biggest criticism id have of Rafa at the moment is his underuse of the excellent Babbel, that aside hes got it right so far.

Melion wrote: »

What is the point in it though?

We are only 7 games in and while I am liking what I see, I am anything but convinced as of yet.

If you force the title contenders discussion for the whole season and we ultimately fail again, you will just be a laughing stock.

Don't mean to be harsh but no need to get carried away so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm not sure myself yet, it's great to come back from behind but you can only do that so many times. Not going behind in the first place would make me much happier.

We've done it 3 times already in the league, against United/'boro/City.
    Think Marseille went a goal up, in the CL aswell.
    What's great about these results is that we came back to win the games not just draw them.

Torres' away form is excellent, hopefully he can bring his home form from last season back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Please stop with the title talk. I've had too many heartaches over the years, most of them in October and November. Let's get through these two months when we have very winnable game in the league

Wigan (h)
    Chelsea (a)
    Pompey (h)
    Spurs (a)
    WBA (h)
    Bolton (a)
    Fulham (h)
    West Ham (h)
    Blackburn (a)
    Hull (h)

are our next ten matches, and apart from Chelsea, nothing overly tricky. We have a real chance to become contenders in the next two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Interestingly on MOTD2, when Hanson and Laurenson were asked if Liverpool were title contenders, they said that it was definately a three horse race.

Are Arsenal gone in their oppinion?!!

Funny seing as they are still ahead of Utd and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Just confirmed Skrtel has damaged posterior cruciate ligaments.

Interestingly on MOTD2, when Hanson and Laurenson were asked if Liverpool were title contenders, they said that it was definately a three horse race.

Are Arsenal gone in their oppinion?!!

Funny seing as they are still ahead of Utd and all.

I think there should be a ban on any talk of pundits and their waffling on here :pac: :p

Torres
    57 appearances
    38 goals
    goal every 1.5 games
    all from open play (no penos/free kicks)

Hes got to be the most in form striker in the world ? Am I missing someone ? Is there another striker in that kind of form ?

• Advertisement

Torres
    57 appearances
    38 goals
    goal every 1.5 games
    all from open play

Hes got to be the most in form striker in the world ? Am I missing someone ? Is there another striker in that kind of form ?

Donkey boy with Madrid perhaps?

Doubt hes close but hes the only one that springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Please stop with the title talk. I've had too many heartaches over the years, most of them in October and November. Let's get through these two months when we have very winnable game in the league

Wigan (h)
    Chelsea (a)
    Pompey (h)
    Spurs (a)
    WBA (h)
    Bolton (a)
    Fulham (h)
    West Ham (h)
    Blackburn (a)
    Hull (h)

are our next ten matches, and apart from Chelsea, nothing overly tricky. We have a real chance to become contenders in the next two months.

that's a nice run of games, all (apart from chelsea) very winnable.
    if we get a point at the bridge and win the rest then people can start dreaming of titles.

Looks like Skrtel is skittled for 6 months. That Brazilian fella will deffo be bought in January.

Mike

Another thing I was thinking about. Manchester Utd, Everton & Manchester City all had a man sent off while playing us...were all three for tackles on Alonso ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DeadSkin wrote: »
    We've done it 3 times already in the league, against United/'boro/City.
    Think Marseille went a goal up, in the CL aswell.
    What's great about these results is that we came back to win the games not just draw them.

:confused:
    thats what I am saying, we've already had to do it too many times in too few games due to poor defending. It can't last, we need to stop giving away easy goals.

Tusky, you're right. Alonso seems to be in the thick of it this season.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

careca wrote: »
    I know a lot of you lads are big fans of Agger's but I really think Skrtel's injury could be very bad news for us. He has been outstanding so far this season and imo is more important than Agger. No doubt Agger is a talented footballer but I think Skrtel is better against the physical teams in the league (and there is quite a few of them).

Well, Agger did a great job on drogba, one of the most physical strikers there is, in the champions league second game v chelsea two seasons ago. Last year we paid the price for not having top quality backup for Agger (tho Hyppia did do quite well) so I reckon we may be ok.

copacetic wrote: »
    :confused:
    thats what I am saying, we've already had to do it too many times in too few games due to poor defending. It can't last, we need to stop giving away easy goals.

Who's to say it can't last? :P

I'm just pointing out that we came back from a goal or two down and we went on to win the game, is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

we have also beat City away and Utd at home, games we drew and lost last season.

not saying it means anything THAT important, but there is definately reason to be positive

Eh? Liverpool, were away to City yesterday and beat Utd at home.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

we beat city away and utd at home

ie: we were away and home. get me?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement