Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doh (facepalm etc) I read that as "have to beat" not "have also beat" Doh (facepalm etc) :o

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Doh (facepalm etc) I read that as "have to beat" not "have also beat" Doh (facepalm etc) :o

Mike

Fail Mike, fail :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

sweetie wrote: »
    Well, Agger did a great job on drogba, one of the most physical strikers there is, in the champions league game v chelsea two seasons ago. Last year we paid the price for not having top quality backup for Agger (tho Hyppia did do quite well) so I reckon we may be ok.

From what I remember it was Agger who was completely outmuscled by Drogba for the goal in the 06/07 Champions League Semi Final First Leg. I'm not saying Agger can't handle the rough and tumble but going toe to toe is certainly not his best aspect.

That being said I am a fan of Agger and although it's a bitter blow to lose Skrtel I am enthusiastic about Agger getting a chance again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thats the point i think, first leg he was outmuscled...second let he ****ing bossed Drogba round the place and scored the winner, he really learnt from the first performance wat was needed, i think Agger is an exceptional player tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Ardent

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    From what I remember it was Agger who was completely outmuscled by Drogba for the goal in the 06/07 Champions League Semi Final First Leg.

I think you're right but, from what I remember, Agger totally owned Drogba in the return leg. He learned his lesson from the first leg and gave as good as he got the in the return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well let me phrase it differently then. Rafa isn't rotating as much as he did in the last few years which leads to more continuity and will lead to more regular wins. Dropping Robbie Keane is no biggie, he hasn't scored a goal in the league yet, resting him now and again to throw him on for the last 20/30 minutes will not be detrimental to Liverpools chances. In fact to have someone with a lot of pace and energy like Robbie coming in the last 30 minutes very much benefitted Liverpool yesterday. Gerrard and Torres are the two key players in this team in my estimation. To drop either for any league game would be almost criminal. This is the kind of thing that Rafa was doing, but seems to have realised that these guys are essential to Liverpools challenge and are undroppable at the moment. The starting XI needs to be pretty much consistent, minor alternations are not an issue thats why Liverpool have a squad consisting of more than 11 players plus a few subs. The biggest criticism id have of Rafa at the moment is his underuse of the excellent Babbel, that aside hes got it right so far.

Let me simply say that I disagree with your diagnosis of why we were unsuccessful in previous years in the league. There are statistics available which show the average changes per league game of all of the top four teams during the previous few seasons - aswell as statistics that show how many league appearances our core players have made in previous years. I suggest you check them out and reconsider your opinion. Not that I particularly blame you as the reality is that most journalists and pundits who have thrown out the above analysis do not seem to have looked at these stats either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Ardent wrote: »
    I think you're right but, from what I remember, Agger totally owned Drogba in the return leg. He learned his lesson from the first leg and gave as good as he got the in the return.
    Originally posted by Mr. Alan
    thats the point i think, first leg he was outmuscled...second let he ****ing bossed Drogba round the place and scored the winner, he really learnt from the first performance wat was needed, i think Agger is an exceptional player tbh.

Oh OK point taken lads, my mind is actually going blank for that night, too much drinking probably.:pac: My voice was absolutely gone the next morning, that's all I remember.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Agger should be raring to go when he gets back in the side, and there's no doubt that he's as capable a defender as anyone.

It makes a big change to this time last year. Agger got injured, and we had to look to an aging Sami Hyypia to come on. He did very well for us, but it's good to know we're not reliant on him for cover anymore.

we're in a bit of trouble for the CL though, Sami wasnt named in the squad so Agger and Carragher are our only two proper CBs in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Agger should be raring to go when he gets back in the side, and there's no doubt that he's as capable a defender as anyone.

It makes a big change to this time last year. Agger got injured, and we had to look to an aging Sami Hyypia to come on. He did very well for us, but it's good to know we're not reliant on him for cover anymore.

I was only thinking that this morning.
    What a difference a year makes.

• Advertisement

Except now Liverpool are relying on him! *fingers crossed for both Agger and Skrtle*

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    we're in a bit of trouble for the CL though, Sami wasnt named in the squad so Agger and Carragher are our only two proper CBs in the squad.

Yeah, let's hope they are fit for the games. But hopefully, four points from Atletico Madrid (tough ask, but why not) should have us pretty much in the knockout stages with a couple of games to spare so we should be ok. Arbeloa can do a job centre back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,758 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wouldn't be too concerned, Liverpool need 4 points from their last 4 games, unless Skrtel is banjaxed completely he should definately be back for the 25th/26 Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, let's hope they are fit for the games. But hopefully, four points from Atletico Madrid (tough ask, but why not) should have us pretty much in the knockout stages with a couple of games to spare so we should be ok. Arbeloa can do a job centre back as well.

did ya see them against barca at the weekend? they were shocking. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

prendy wrote: »

Yeah, i heard they got a hiding. I actually saw the goals, but was p!ssed so can't remember them!
    I don't know though, that could just be a once off. Still think they'll be tough opposition, but as i say, four points from them would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

prendy wrote: »

Missing quiet a few players.. Twas also one of those games where Barca had 3 attempts on goal in the first 10 mins and scored from all 3 of them.. Wouldn't read much into it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At the start of last season, this would have resulted in Liverpools title hopes ending [and some may argue it did]. But theres more depth in defence now, so Agger can step in.

Terrible for Srektl, but shows Liverpools squad developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

At the start of last season, this would have resulted in Liverpools title hopes ending [and some may argue it did]. But theres more depth in defence now, so Agger can step in.

Terrible for Srektl, but shows Liverpools squad developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

In fairness, no-one predicted Agger's pro-longed absense from a broken metatarsal - an anitial 3 months out, followed by the rest of the season :confused:

Agger is certainly someone who has a some suspect injury concerns, only 100 apperances (inc International) in 4 years isn't great.

I really hope he can put together some form and stay injury free, as we desperately need him now more than ever.

I think he adds a good balance, being more comfortable on the ball and left footed.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

after minimal research it appears the posterior ligament is an unusual injury and is very difficult to repair with surgery due to where the ligament is in the middle of the joint.

However if the tear isn't too bad recovery can be relatively swift.

I guess it all depends on the scans tomorrow. fingers crossed.

Paul Williams just moved back to the Auckland blues in New Zealand, he has had
    a partial tear for 3 weeks and is hoping to be back in the next couple of weeks.

Numerous examples of NFL players out for weeks rather than months with sprains rather than tears also.

A few examples of NBA players out for 4-5 months with more serious damage to the ligament.

It seems more likely that it will be at the shorter end, so heres hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

zAbbo wrote: »
    In fairness, no-one predicted Agger's pro-longed absense from a broken metatarsal - an anitial 3 months out, followed by the rest of the season :confused:

Agger is certainly someone who has a some suspect injury concerns, only 100 apperances (inc International) in 4 years isn't great.

I really hope he can put together some form and stay injury free, as we desperately need him now more than ever.

I think he adds a good balance, being more comfortable on the ball and left footed.

Yeah but Skrtl is an animal. Very few people get past him since he has settled. I hope Danny can be as good as he was against Drogba on that 2nd champions league night. With any luck he'll assert his place in the team and the real weak link in the back two (Carra) will be moved aside. (Note the word aside here as I'm more than dubious about the credentials of our wing backs and he might challenge them a bit for smaller games.) Heart can only take you so far and hoofing wont take you much further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

zAbbo wrote: »

I would completely disagree with that. Its not fair to say hes been here four years. He joined in the January transfer window of 05/06 and didnt really feature until the end of the season. This wasnt because he was injured though.

06/07 he featured heavily and made about 30 appearances.

07/08 his injured kept him out for 90% of the season.

08/09 The season is only ten days old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm counting about 30 Brondby and 30 International games.

He was injured when we signed him, and that was the reason he only got a handful of games that season.

2 seasons ago he got a decent run, but last season was a wipeout.

I'm not saying he's a sicknote, but it's a concern

To be honest, from what I've read, Agger being out for the whole season was just bad luck.

He came back before the first injury ws healed, and that not only caused the second injury, but meant that it was a complicated one too.

We all know that Rafa is conservative with his players confidence.

-Not rushing in young players.
    -Not dropping players when they have a bad game.
    -Not putting preasure on strikers not breaking their duck.

I just think that Rafa is being gentle with Dagger, cause coming back too soon for a second tme, and causing more damage could really mess with his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

With any luck he'll assert his place in the team and the real weak link in the back two (Carra) will be moved aside.

Carra is one of the most reliable defenders out there and is very experienced. As much as I like skrtel and agger (really think skrtel is quality) either of these players would be more prone to making a mistake than Carra.
    Carra has never gotten the credit that he's deserved, they've talked about him being "too slow" for years but it's not often he gets skinned, he's an intelligent defender and when were in trouble he's more often than not in the position to get the tackle in, wouldn't drop him for either (maybe another year or 2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I gotta agree, Carra has been absolutely immense for us. I struggle to recall many goals where he's been at fault, and he's time and again put in crucial blocks, clearances and tackles when our other defenders have been caught out. He's also a leader and a talker on the pitch - should be captain, in my opinion - and organises our whole defense when it comes to set-pieces.

His distribution is poor, but the opposition tend to get tight to Mach and Alonso from the off, which limits our options when bringing the ball out of defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

colly10 wrote: »
    Carra is one of the most reliable defenders out there and is very experienced. As much as I like skrtel and agger (really think skrtel is quality) either of these players would be more prone to making a mistake than Carra.
    Carra has never gotten the credit that he's deserved, they've talked about him being "too slow" for years but it's not often he gets skinned, he's an intelligent defender and when were in trouble he's more often than not in the position to get the tackle in, wouldn't drop him for either (maybe another year or 2)

theres few better in the game at reading the play and knowing the game better than carra. this has never been in question.

its his ability on the ball and use of the ball from the back thats lacking.

i think agger's qualitys compliment him better than skrtles, and at this stage i'd like to see agger play as much as possible next to carra to improve his own game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

el rabitos wrote: »
    theres few better in the game at reading the play and knowing the game better than carra. this has never been in question.

its his ability on the ball and use of the ball from the back thats lacking.

i think agger's qualitys compliment him better than skrtles, and at this stage i'd like to see agger play as much as possible next to carra to improve his own game.
    ^ this I totally agree with.

As dependable as Carra is defensively, his ball skills aren't a patch on [as much as it pains me to say it] Rio or JT.

How many times per game does he have space in front of him yet he just lumps the ball forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

What I find funny about the whole Carra hoofs the ball and the fact Gerrard is piss poor at taking corners is, how come we still see it every game?
    Has Rafa ever mentioned it to them? :P :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

DeadSkin wrote: »
    What I find funny about the whole Carra hoofs the ball and the fact Gerrard is piss poor at taking corners is, how come we still see it every game?
    Has Rafa ever mentioned it to them? :P :pac:
    I often wonder about that myself!

Actually, one of the most satisfying aspects of Sunday's win over Man City was the fact that we scored from a Gerrard corner :eek:. Okay, we needed Torres's marker to run into another Man City player for some reason but the point is Stevie's corner not only beat the first defender but it reached a Liverpool player! Here's hoping we get many more!

Happy Birthday Sami Hyypia,35 years young today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

malice_ wrote: »
    I often wonder about that myself!

Actually, one of the most satisfying aspects of Sunday's win over Man City was the fact that we scored from a Gerrard corner :eek:. Okay, we needed Torres's marker to run into another Man City player for some reason but the point is Stevie's corner not only beat the first defender but it reached a Liverpool player! Here's hoping we get many more!

Happy Birthday Sami Hyypia,35 years young today!

Thats two games in a row we scored from a corner dont forget also scored one against PSV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thats two games in a row we scored from a corner dont forget also scored one against PSV
    That's true. It's also two goals in two games from Dirk Kuyt :).

Dirk Kuyt=Goal Machine.

Not bad for a winger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Dirk Kuyt=Goal Machine.

Not bad for a winger ;)

lol:D

seriously he scores vital goals. this season alone he got the winner to qualify for the CL then Sunday. Torres is only for show, Kuyt is where its really at!!!!!!!

Kuyt to outscore Torres this season!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kaimera wrote: »
    ^ this I totally agree with.

As dependable as Carra is defensively, his ball skills aren't a patch on [as much as it pains me to say it] Rio or JT.

How many times per game does he have space in front of him yet he just lumps the ball forward?

i would have thought he was on a par with terry, i dont think terry's distribution is anything to write home about

every centre half partnership needs on who attacks the ball, and one who drops off and reads the game

united have vidic to attack and rio to read
    chelsea have terry to attack and carvalho to read
    liverpool have carra to attack and i think agger to read. i think skrtl is like carragher, and i think that the reason that liverpool have had such a good defence this year is cos they have two atacking centre halfs, but i think distribution is a problem

also the reason arsenal concede goals, they have no centre half who attacks the ball

how had riera done so far, i havent seen a whole lot of him

long term, where do you see babel fitting into the team lads?

if riera is doing well, he would have the left wing sorted and it looks like kuyt(rightly or wrongly) has the other side sewn up.
    will babel have to fight it out up front?

event wrote: »

how had riera done so far, i havent seen a whole lot of him

long term, where do you see babel fitting into the team lads?

if riera is doing well, he would have the left wing sorted and it looks like kuyt(rightly or wrongly) has the other side sewn up.
    will babel have to fight it out up front?

Riera has done really well so far, surpassed most peoples expectations incl my own, and i expected him to do well :)

I think Babel will feature all across the attacking three in the 4-2-3-1, and perhaps eventually be able to play up top on his own too.

As well as being able to play on the right or left hand side of a 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As good as Riera has done (and hes done very well indeed) I'd still prefer to see Babel on the team sheet. He has buckets more potential and is more of a goal threat. Its a good problem to have though.

Id probably pick Riera in a 4-4-2 and Babel in a 4-2-3-1.

Tusky wrote: »
    Id probably pick Riera in a 4-4-2 and Babel in a 4-2-3-1.

according to Ballague, Riera is weakest in a 4-4-2 whereas in a 4-2-3-1 is among the best in the world in the attacking left position.

I'd let Riera have the left side 90% of the time tbh, and have Babel rotated in occassionally while also fighting Keane,Kuyt,Torres for a place.

I've already won money off friends in work who were convinced Riera'd be crap.
    They've paid up already!:D

• Advertisement

I've already won money off friends in work who were convinced Riera'd be crap.
    They've paid up already!:D

How the hell was that bet gauged?

"I bet you hes crap" - "I bet you he isn't" ?????? :eek:

Boggles wrote: »
    How the hell was that bet gauged?

"I bet you hes crap" - "I bet you he isn't" ?????? :eek:

Just honesty between friends.

He said that Riera would be terrible, that he'd flop instantly, and that he was akin to a panic buy, by Rafa.
    I said that he was quality, with a suspect attitude, and that Rafa could get the best out of him.

He came up on Monday and said he was wrong and gave me the twenty.

Just honesty between friends.

He said that Riera would be terrible, that he'd flop instantly, and that he was akin to a panic buy, by Rafa.
    I said that he was quality, with a suspect attitude, and that Rafa could get the best out of him.

He came up on Monday and said he was wrong and gave me the twenty.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Karmafaerie,did you get fixed up for the Wigan game..?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Karmafaerie,did you get fixed up for the Wigan game..?

Yeah man.

Meant to pm you to thank you.
    I'm sorted for that.
    Transfering the funds over tomorrow.

Can't wait.
    It'll be my frst game of the season.

Thanks for all the help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No prob you will have a ball,don't forget to introduce yourself I will be the good looking one in red...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Would you look at this thread go. Just reading over the last few pages and not an ounce of bitchiness or over-the-top arguments :)

Sha la la la laaaaaa....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Would you look at this thread go. Just reading over the last few pages and not an ounce of bitchiness or over-the-top arguments :)

Sha la la la laaaaaa....

Rafa out :pac:
    Kuyt is sh ite :pac:
    ...............don't get me started on Yossi, he stinks :pac:
    Riera is the new Kuyt :pac:

Normal service resumes *sigh* :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Dub13 wrote: »
    No prob you will have a ball,don't forget to introduce yourself I will be the good looking one in red...:)

I am heading on this as well...will be my first IK trip can't wait...

• Advertisement

Anyone ever wonder what would have happened if Klinsmann had ever got the job?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=GER.1&&cc=5739

Mike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement