Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Would you look at this thread go. Just reading over the last few pages and not an ounce of bitchiness or over-the-top arguments :)

Sha la la la laaaaaa....

WGHAT DA FOCK!!!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Dub13 wrote: »
    No prob you will have a ball,don't forget to introduce yourself I will be the good looking one in red...:)

Like I said, can't wait.:D
    Thanks again.
    emc2 wrote: »
    I am heading on this as well...will be my first IK trip can't wait...

My fist IK trip too.

Heard nothing but great things though, so well up for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am heading on this as well...will be my first IK trip can't wait...

Which trip are you on..?we have two the boat and one going via Birmingham airport..?

Would you look at this thread go. Just reading over the last few pages and not an ounce of bitchiness or over-the-top arguments :)

Sha la la la laaaaaa....

I read today that Rafa has spent Fifty bajillion pounds a season, and rotated every player 4 times a game.

Discuss......

:D

I'm jealous - should be a good game actually wigan have no interest in being overly defensive and with zaki and heskey being big physical players they could cause carra and the newly returning Agger some problems - saying that I want to put the emphasis on COULD because I don't think they will we SHOULD win by 2
    would kill to go - who can I kill to go?

• Advertisement

Fifty bajillion pounds a season, and rotated every player 4 times a game.

It was closer to fifty squillion majilion sacillians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Dub13 wrote: »
    Which trip are you on..?we have two the boat and one going via Birmingham airport..?

I am on the Boat....it's going to be a long day but well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone ever wonder what would have happened if Klinsmann had ever got the job?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=GER.1&&cc=5739

Mike

what the hell, they end the bundesliga after 7 games now?
    thats a bit unfair, isnt it?

oh wait, you're judging a manager after 7 games with a new team, trying to indicate he's a flop or something?

you know robbie keane has played 7 games and no goals in the PL, i wonder what response would someone get if they posted he was a flop already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

mayordenis wrote: »
    would kill to go - who can I kill to go?

Karmafaerie, emc2 or Dub13 would be a good place to start :pac:
    Need a hand???? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am on the Boat....it's going to be a long day but well worth it.

Same as me and Karmafaerie,its not to bad this is my third trip on the boat so far this season.Some lads get a cabin on the way back to get some kip but I normally just stay on the beer.

Great bunch of lads,we normally head back to Vines "Big House" Pub, which is beside the Adelphi Hotel after the game for a nice session.The bus picks us up outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Have to get back again this season some time, last game i went to was beating Reading 2-1, yes i was on the Kop watching Masch score his first goal for Liverpool

Last game I was at ended 8-0 :D

I'll be stayin on the beer myself I'd say.

I have to head up to Dublin on Friday after work, cause I don't want to risk missing the boat on Sat morning.

It's gonna be a long weekend!!!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Would love to go, but we're playing Wasps at home in the HCup and I've got season tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

zAbbo wrote: »
    Would love to go, but we're playing Wasps at home in the HCup and I've got season tickets.

Are you in Castres???

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I wonder will this banking crisis have any bearing on Liverpool? RBS shares dropped big time today for the second day in a row, so with them having refinanced LFC then last time, they might not be in a position to do so again early next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

5starpool wrote: »
    I wonder will this banking crisis have any bearing on Liverpool? RBS shares dropped big time today for the second day in a row, so with them having refinanced LFC then last time, they might not be in a position to do so again early next year.

It absolutely will, sure Wachovia the other bank we've borrowed everything from almost went bust and was bought over by citigroup with the US government also getting a stake. So as well as it being next to impossible for H&G to loan more money, theres little chance they will be allowed the extra 6 month period to sort out their money, when the banks know they can get it now by forcing H&G to deal with arabs. Banks right now need money to start being moved around again and id say this is an easy decision for them, once the Dubai offer is still on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Liverpool fans way overrate Agger and I'm not exactly sure why. Skrtl has been ever present since he arrived on merit and I think he is a huge loss. In fact, his loss probably reduces our already slim chances of winning the league by a couple of percent or more.

Some good[ish] news on Skrtel

SKRTEL COULD BE BACK FOR CHRISTMAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats good news though I for one have no problem with Aggers filling in for him. He scores goals!

Lts see Skrtel do tht :pac:

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think Liverpool fans way overrate Agger and I'm not exactly sure why. Skrtl has been ever present since he arrived on merit and I think he is a huge loss. In fact, his loss probably reduces our already slim chances of winning the league by a couple of percent or more.

I dont think we over-rate Dagger at all, he is one of the best ball playing defenders in the premiership and in 2-3 years time will be part of one of the best central defensive partnership in the world when Carra moves aside, providing we keep him and Skrtel. They are both young and both know Carra wont be around forever. I can only remember him having one poor game and that was against Chelsea in the SF first leg last season which he more than made up for with his performance in the 2nd leg. I dont remember him ever making any high profile mistakes and we missed him so much last season until we signed Skrtel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ibh wrote: »
    Are you in Castres???

Dublin, Leinster home game on the 18th

I think Liverpool fans way overrate Agger and I'm not exactly sure why.

:confused:
    Skrtl has been ever present since he arrived on merit and I think he is a huge loss. In fact, his loss probably reduces our already slim chances of winning the league by a couple of percent or more.

Skrtel has been ever present because Agger was out injured and Sami is an old man :pac:. Sami is goin' to feature less, but is still a good enough back up.

No doubt Skrtel will be a loss but Agger can step up to the mark.

Tough game.
    Ye'll have to work hard.
    Should be a good game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Extremely harsh tbh... Agger has barely put a foot wrong when he played for us.

It was the 7th game of last season (strange coincidence) that he picked up the injury that ruled him out for the season. IIRC, at that stage of the season, we had only conceeded two goals - both of which were penalties. One against Villa and one against Chelsea.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/season/2007-2008/index.htm?squad=First+Team&season=2007-2008&competition=All

That was down to a Carra and Agger combination. I am certainly not worried about Skrtel being injured. It is a shame though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I've said it before and i'll say it again:
    Enter the Dagger

Carra runs a tight ship,we'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've said it before and i'll say it again:
    Enter the Dagger

Carra runs a tight ship,we'll be fine.

His first game back should definately be a physical test, up against Heskey and Zaki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

It's unfortunate the way he's getting his chance but I'm glad he is getting it.
    I think with some games under his belt he can prove himself to be capable of the job and hopefully get us a couple of goals with his height and his ability to strike the ball.

I think Babel should get more of a look in too, I think Benitez wasn't happy when he went to the Olympics and he might be holding it against him against him. You never know with Benitez though.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I think Babel should get more of a look in too, I think Benitez wasn't happy when he went to the Olympics and he might be holding it against him against him. You never know with Benitez though.

I don't believe that in a million years.
    Rafa gave Mascherano, one of our most influential players, permission to go as an over age player, when he could have refused.

He wouldn't hold it over a squad player (as much as I love Babel, that's what he is at the moment), while giving special dispensation to IMO our most important player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I saw this post last night and I really would like to know why you think Agger is overrated. Any Liverpool fans who remember Phil Babb, John Scales, Rigobert Song, Neil Ruddock or Mark Wright in defence should have a good idea of the necessary qualities of a decent centre-back :). Agger rarely loses out in a physical battle (Drogba being the only one I can recall), has excellent distribution and an eye for goal.

I don't believe that in a million years.
    Rafa gave Mascherano, one of our most influential players, permission to go as an over age player, when he could have refused.

He wouldn't hold it over a squad player (as much as I love Babel, that's what he is at the moment), while giving special dispensation to IMO our most important player!
    I agree with the point about Babel and the Olympics. I don't agree with Mascherano being our most important player. I believe Reina, Gerrard and Torres are more important (I can't put them in order though :) ) in terms of the team being weaker on paper in their absence. Of course the recent Man Utd game contradicts me but there you go :).

Dublin, Leinster home game on the 18th

My bad. I thought you were talking about this weekend coming..

malice_ wrote: »
    I agree with the point about Babel and the Olympics. I don't agree with Mascherano being our most important player. I believe Reina, Gerrard and Torres are more important (I can't put them in order though :) ) in terms of the team being weaker on paper in their absence. Of course the recent Man Utd game contradicts me but there you go :).

Everyones got an oppionion I suppose.:)
    I just think that Masch is the catalyst for everthing with us.
    The other outfield 9 play better when he's in the team.
    We didn't start playing untill he came back from the Olympics.

Isn't it great though.

How many years did we just have Gerrard as our undisputed best player with Carra the only one rivaling him.
    Now we have Gerrard, Carra, Nando, Masch, and Pepe!!!

Spoilt for choice is what we are!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

but yet Rafa has still never bought a decent player, except Torres, who he got lucky with :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    but yet Rafa has still never bought a decent player, except Torres, who he got lucky with :rolleyes:

Can't spot a player either. Sure everyone knew Torres would be the best striker in the PL in first season there.
    It was also clear to see that Agger and Skrtel were class defenders, long before Benitez signed them. And as for Mascherano. Sure his performances for West Ham were nothing short of brilliant, settled in the PL like a duck to water.

This management game's pretty easy from where i'm sitting...;)

Mr Alan wrote: »

Also he rotates everyone, all the time.
    Spent all the tea in China.
    Sacrifices babies to the dread lord Crom
    And doesn't say "God Bless You" if you sneeze!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Everyones got an oppionion I suppose.:)
    I just think that Masch is the catalyst for everthing with us.
    The other outfield 9 play better when he's in the team.
    We didn't start playing untill he came back from the Olympics.

Isn't it great though.

How many years did we just have Gerrard as our undisputed best player with Carra the only one rivaling him.

Spoilt for choice is what we are!:P
    Well, Hyypia and Henchoz struck up quite a mean central defensive partnership in their time but that's not as glamorous as up front. Also, it's easy to forget but Michael Owen was a useful player in his day too.

Either way, you're right, there are many potential match winners/turners in the squad now compared to a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Also he rotates everyone, all the time.
    Spent all the tea in China.
    Sacrifices babies to the dread lord Crom
    And doesn't say "God Bless You" if you sneeze!

hes crossing a f**kin line there

malice_ wrote: »
    Well, Hyypia and Henchoz struck up quite a mean central defensive partnership in their time but that's not as glamorous as up front. Also, it's easy to forget but Michael Owen was a useful player in his day too.

Either way, you're right, there are many potential match winners/turners in the squad now compared to a few years ago.

Owen was great in his day alright.
    And God was, well, God!

It's been a while though.

I think Rafa is really building the best squad we've had in decades.
    Ever since Graham Clueless decimated it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Can't believe you left out Kuyt Karmafaerie:eek:

On a slightly different note, its great to see the standard of discussion here improve in the last few weeks. There's a lot of good, reasoned debate going on here these days. Strange how went we go on a good run of games a lot of the nay-sayers and critics of Liverpool/Rafa dissappear:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

rosboy wrote: »

On a slightly different note, its great to see the standard of discussion here improve in the last few weeks. There's a lot of good, reasoned debate going on here these days. Strange how went we go on a good run of games a lot of the nay-sayers and critics of Liverpool/Rafa dissappear:rolleyes:

Oh dont worry, they haven't gone far. Just wait for our first loss and they'll come crawling back out to ramble about how Rafa has spent 10 gazillion pounds and has won nothing with it. And of course, he rotates our players too much. Im just waiting for someone to criticise him for not playing Skrtel in our next game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cheridere

Strange how went we go on a good run of games a lot of the nay-sayers and critics of Liverpool/Rafa dissappear:rolleyes:

Thats not strange at all, its great to be able to go get the papers on a sunday or monday and not avoid the back pages because LFC ****ed up the previous day.
    We are all happy little campers but from my prospective I will be a lot more entusiastic about our chances of great things this season after Chelsea and Atletico.

The difference this season can also be attributed to the squad rafa has built over the last few season. I was sad to see Skertle get injured but being able to bring a player of Aggers obvious quality in as a replacement is a far cry from even 12 months ago when an injury to automatic starter like Skertle would have had us throw in hypia who at 35 yesterday is a year by his sell by date for any team willing or hopefully challenging for the Premiership crown

P.S Hello all, just got access yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah, you see thr's the problem: Liverpool always go on a good run of games. The problem is that they don't move from that instead falling back on old habits and 0-0 draws. I feared the worst after the Stoke result and I have one eye on something similar happening here.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for nothing more to be proven completely WRONG, but I don't want to wind up in the pisser of a mood I was in last time it happened.

That said, the team does seem ot have more 'balls' than in previous years. At least coming behind and winning late no. Now THAT is new and encouraging!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jaysus lads, yiz dont half have the hard luck stories, boo hoo, the big bad posters dont leave yiz alone sometimes. you can always ignore people who make the same posts again and again, its what i do. just dont respond

i tried to strike up a debate yesterday, about how riera was doing and how do ye think babel will fit into teh team now. only Mr alan replied and tusky after that

so dont be always moaning saying people only come in to slag rafa/the team, yet when someone comes in to talk about the team, its ignored/not responded to. cant have it both way lads

Kuyts on the next tier up.:D

Melion wrote: »
    Im just waiting for someone to criticise him for not playing Skrtel in our next game.

It counts as rotation!!!:P

cheridere wrote: »
    P.S Hello all, just got access yesterday.

Welcome aboard man.
    You don't know what you're in for!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heh! Moaning about no moaning, its the Liverpool thread.

Reira has the left berth nailed down for the most games, Babel does know he's not a winger and a winger we did need. So what is Babel? Good question, I see him as an wide striker a la Henry but without the same finesse thus far. He does need game time and I suspect most of it this season will come in Cups and in the latter part of the season when Rafa starts to ahem rotate with his eye on both CL and League titles.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    in the latter part of the season when Rafa starts to ahem rotate with his eye on both CL and League titles.

Mike

fingers crossed!!

event wrote: »
    j
    i tried to strike up a debate yesterday, about how riera was doing and how do ye think babel will fit into teh team now. only Mr alan replied and tusky after that

so dont be always moaning saying people only come in to slag rafa/the team, yet when someone comes in to talk about the team, its ignored/not responded to. cant have it both way lads

Ahhh, you asked about Riera, and it sparked a discussion from 4 different posters, Mr Alan, Boogles, Tusky, and myself, who are 4 of the biggest posters in this thread, about Riera, and you didn't reply once to anything that any of us said!!!:rolleyes::confused::confused:

Directly after your post on page 340, there are 7 posts about it in a row!

And you never bothered replying to them, and you want to b***h about being ignored!

FFS like.

Jusr reading that PP cut our odds for the title from 12/1 to 6/1 after the Citeh game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Uefa general secretary David Taylor has warned that football clubs with heavy debts could be excluded from future European competitions.

Entry to the Champions League and Uefa Cup is subject to licences issued by European football's governing body.

And Taylor says clubs must address debts or face the "ultimate sanction".

"There would be forms of communication, even warnings or reprimands, before one got to a situation of exclusion but it is absolutely possible," Taylor said.

Taylor was speaking at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge.

On Tuesday, Football Association chairman Lord Triesman estimated the total debt of English clubs to be about £3bn.

Three of England's regular Champions League representatives, Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester United, are believed to account for a third of that debt.

Taylor believes clubs with such huge debts are putting their future in jeopardy and feels they have to bring their finances under control.

"There is concern about these numbers, particularly in an era of financial crisis," Taylor told BBC Sport.

"Debt in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Just because I have a mortgage it doesn't mean I'm bankrupt. But the debt does have a requirement to be properly serviced.

"Clubs must work within all available means and they must not expose themselves to such an extent that the whole future of the club is jeopardised unless some white knight comes over the horizon with millions and millions of pounds.

"That is a very dangerous and risky financial strategy for any organisation and as far as football is concerned we have to consider whether we should take further measures to regulate against that."

Taylor says making Uefa's licensing system more robust, and preventing some clubs from playing in Europe, could be one way of regulating their finances.

"We are looking at strengthening the minimum financial criteria and other forms of self regulation that may impose greater standard on clubs that want to compete in European competitions and, beyond that, club football," Taylor explained.

"A situation where a club would not be allowed to compete in Europe would arise if a club didn't obtain a licence from their national football association.

"Club licenses are awarded every year and it's a requirement for clubs to have such licences before they compete in European competitions."

Improving the financial stability of Europe's leading clubs is one of Uefa's aims but Taylor admits it may take time for plans to achieve that to be initiated.

"It certainly won't happen next season but we've started with a working group to look at some of these issues," he said.

"Let there be no doubt that we're not sitting idly by, we're looking at increasing these requirements at some stage in the future."

Lord Triesman says the FA might consider enforcing a salary cap on Premier League clubs to help bring their debts under control.

"In the current climate it could be that we have to work out (wage) restraints and what they might be," Triesman added.

"A sensible form of (wage) restraint would make sense and it is not inconceivable. It's very hard to do anything unless all parties want to do it and everyone needs to want to do it. Preferably without being compelled."

But Taylor believes it would be almost impossible for Uefa to implement a similar system across Europe.

"A wage cap would be a very difficult challenge in Europe given all the different tax regimes and everything else that goes around that," he told BBC Sport.

"It's one of a whole number of ideas that needs to be more seriously looked at than ever before but I think that would be one of the most challenging things to do."

well lets hope the clowns are gone by the time this rolls around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,759 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jusr reading that PP cut our odds for the title from 12/1 to 6/1 after the Citeh game!

You backing?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement