Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    You backing?

Have €50 down on 12/1.

Got in before the good run!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have €50 down on 12/1.

Got in before the good run!:p

U'll get them at 14's after the Wigan match. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Guillem Balague weighs up some of Liverpool's young talents that are closest to the first team:
    Lucas Leiva - I don't know about you, but for me, he still lacks the rhythm of the Premier league: he's still a little bit behind everyone else when it comes down to keeping up with the pace of the football played in England. Nevertheless, he is a talented and intelligent player, so he could learn to use the skills he does possess to make up for any shortcomings in his game. However, I feel that he is still going to be behind the first choice midfield options at Anfield - he's not on the same level as Mascherano, Xabi or Gerrard.

I know that Lucas gets a lot of criticism from Liverpool fans who tend to focus upon the balls that he frequently gives away, but bear in mind that he recovers an awful lot as well. I think he's a squad player and he does improve the quality of the Liverpool squad which, in my opinion, has got to be considered as one of the best groups in the Premiership.

Emiliano Insua - I had thought that, by now, the left back would be a regular part of the first team, but from what I have seen of him - when he has been given an opportunity - he appears to be a level, or two below someone like Fabio Aurelio. So, its going to take another year, at least, before he can really start to push for a first team place, but that is always going to difficult with Aurelio in front of him. Speaking of Fabio, now that he has been injury free for a while, we are starting to see the real player: a player with all the defensive qualities that appeals to Rafa Benitez and a fantastic left foot that is very useful at crosses and set pieces.

Nemeth - He is probably the brightest light in the reserve team, at the moment, alongside Daniel Pacheco. A concern over Pacheco is that he may be a little too small for a premiership player, he'll be given his chance I'm sure, but I think we may see him finish up in Spain as the English game may be just too physical for him. However, Nemeth, I believe, has a future here, not as a replacement for Keane or Torres, but as someone who could maybe feature in ten games or so to give Rafa some different options and to give the player some first team playing experience. That time on the pitch will prepare him for greater involvement next season I hope.

El Zahr - He's been the real surprise promotion in to the first team as you would have thought that Pacheco and Nemeth are maybe ahead of him. But he has something a little different to the others: something that reminds me of Luis Garcia. He has pace and he's prepared to try things, which is always good to have as an option on the bench and he could do very well in the role of super-sub. I get the impression, from watching him play, that he is relishing every opportunity he gets to impress and if he can get a couple of first team goals, then I believe that the confidence boost will really spur him on and he will continue to progress. I don't think he's close to becoming a regular, but another fantastic option from the bench: something that Liverpool will need if they end the season competing for the top prize in several competitions

http://guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=96

Boggles wrote: »
    U'll get them at 14's after the Wigan match. :D

Don't you be going jinxing the first match I'm over for this sesaon!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thats a good piece by Guillem Balague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

TORRES ISSUES FORM WARNING
    Posted 09/10/08 09:54EmailPrintSave

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has warned the rest of the Premier League he is edging closer to his top form.

Torres, who enjoyed a fantastic debut season at aAnfield last term scoring 33 goals in all competitions, had a slow start to this term by his own high expectations, scoring only once in the club's opening five Premier League games.

The 24-year-old has shown he is almost back to his brilliant best with a brace in each of his side's last two games at Everton and Manchester City and says there is more to come.

Torres believes he has been playing catch-up due to Spain's involvement at Euro 2008 where he helped them win the tournament with the only goal against Germany in the final.

"Me and the other players from the Euros started back in pre-season later than everyone else, and as a result weren't in the best physical shape," said Torres.

"Last year was very long for me. I played nearly 50 games with Liverpool and then went straight to the Euros. But I'm getting better each day and I'll soon be 100 per cent again."

Torres is also hoping to build on his success with Spain by helping Liverpool win some silverware this season.

He added: "It was a great experience and the first big honour I've won. Now I know how it feels to win something like that, it makes me even hungrier to win trophies with Liverpool.

"I came here for that reason and hope this season will be better than last year.

"I believe we can win the Premier League or the Champions League. If we did that, it would be fantastic. We have started well, so there is optimism.

"But I'd be happy with just 20 goals if we won the Premier League or Champions League."

Torres also revealed he dreams of scoring against Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League final.

The former Atletico Madrid man has yet to find the net against Liverpool's biggest rivals and he knows scoring against them would further endear him to the Anfield faithful.

Torres missed Liverpool's win over United last month and he is determined to get one over on the Old Trafford outfit.

"Every player wants to score against their biggest rivals. It matters so much to the fans and I know it would mean even more to ours if I scored against Manchester United," he said.

"Unfortunately I didn't get the chance this season. But I'm hoping I'll have an opportunity to do so at Old Trafford after Christmas, or maybe in the cup - or best of all the Champions League final.

"It was a little unusual for me watching the recent game against United but we won, and the most important thing was the fact we proved how strong the squad is."

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4264824,00.html

I think if I saw Torres lift the trophy after burying Utd in the final it would beat Istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

"I believe we can win the Premier League & the Champions League. If we did that, it would be fantastic. We have started well, so there is optimism.

"But I'd be happy with just 20 goals if we won the Premier League & Champions League."

fixed that for Nando ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

well lets hope the clowns are gone by the time this rolls around...

If they broght that in they would have to ban Real Madrid too, and I cant see them doing that.

not in a million years would they do that tbh. all they would be doing is giving Liverpool/Real/Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal etc etc an excuse to form a European superleague.

Uefa need those clubs more than they need Uefa imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I do find it funny how much UEFA/FIFA hate english clubs :) It wasn't a problem for years when it was the Italians and Spanish dominating in Europe (and getting money from the richest kings of Spain(Government) and Italy(Berlusconi).

Exactly. Its a joke tbh.

UEFA hate the fact that because the Premiership is English, and English is spoken all over the world, it's easier to get marketing, and fans over seas.

Fair enough I suppose, but the duplicity shown to the fundings in Spain and Italy is a joke as you said.

Effectively state sposored clubs as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Platini is French

Mike

and played for Juventus.

European minnow, whiter than white, never won squat in their life, you may not have heard of em ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i think the timing of the statement is to act more as a warning to clubs not to get into too much debt. you could see quite a few clubs struggling to survive in the coming months.

• Advertisement

Ranieri has been speaking as only he can, he didn't buy Alonso as he was too slow.

Alonso too slow that is :p

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

guess Ranieri was watching Soccer AM the other morning http://www.socceram.com/story/0,21644,13873_4244798,00.html
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    Ranieri has been speaking as only he can, he didn't buy Alonso as he was too slow.

Alonso too slow that is :p

Mike

anyone see Soccer AM on saturday Alonso was on Team Mates or whatever its called, only saw a bit of it but to sum up:

Most Skillful - Babel
    Slowest - Alsono
    Fastest - Torres
    Thickest - Kuyt
    Best Trainer - Sami
    Worst Trainer- Pennant
    Worst Dress Sense - Carra
    Biggest Whinge - Carra
    Best Dancer - Pepe/Pennant
    Worst Taste in Music - Babel.

We're not a particularly skilful team

I hope they all have a sense of humour (including rafa). Gerrard says "where was I"?

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Best Trainer - Sami
    Worst Trainer- Pennant
    Could explain Pennant's lack of chances in the first team. Rafa seems the type of coach who expects 100% ALL the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

anyone see Soccer AM on saturday Alonso was on Team Mates or whatever its called, only saw a bit of it but to sum up:

i wonder is this on youtube or something. sounds like it could be a larf

Most Skillful - Babel
    Slowest - Alsono
    Fastest - Torres
    Thickest - Kuyt
    Best Trainer - Sami
    Worst Trainer- Pennant
    Worst Dress Sense - Carra
    Biggest Whinge - Carra

Most Skillful - Babel - Thought so
    Slowest - Alsono Suprised tbh
    Fastest - Torres Indeed :)
    Thickest - Kuyt - LOL poor Dirk, he was in the ugliest players thing too
    Best Trainer - Sami Model pro :)
    Worst Trainer- Pennant - Looks a lazy bollix
    Worst Dress Sense - Carra - If asked the question he'd be one of the main suspects
    Biggest Whinge - Carra - He shouts alot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

From Oliver Kay's report today on Platini's latest rant about foreign ownership of clubs:
    It was with a similar plan in mind that Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the Liverpool owners, bought the club in February 2007, but, with their holding company owing £350 million, they are close to accepting defeat. They have been unable to borrow the extra £300 million needed to finance the construction of a new stadium in Stanley Park and a second change of ownership in two years is expected.

Maybe he just's just writing what we all suspect will have to happen or maybe he actually knows something - he's always come across as being well informed on what's happening within the club in previous articles.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4909792.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

astrofool wrote: »
    I do find it funny how much UEFA/FIFA hate english clubs :) It wasn't a problem for years when it was the Italians and Spanish dominating in Europe (and getting money from the richest kings of Spain(Government) and Italy(Berlusconi).

It's a joke to be honest. It is so blatant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4909792.ece
    Platini wrote:
    Do you want in Liverpool an Arab sheikh as president with one Brazilian coach and nine or 11 African players? Where is Liverpool in that? We have to make some rules.”

Platini could look at little closer to home.

fra.jpg

didnt Monsieur Platini ply his trade during his best years in Italy?

****ing stinking hypocrite.

Platini is a tool,The G14 should get back together and smack some sense into him.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote: »
    Platini is a tool,The G14 should get back together and smack some sense into him.

whats the beef that Fi'ty Cents crew have with plantini?

copacetic wrote: »
    whats the beef that Fi'ty Cents crew have with plantini?

LOL...

A couple of people have sent me PMs about my new signature,feel free to use it if you like.I did not do it up a lad on Irishkop who is super at art work is doing lads great pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

From here:
    Martin Skrtel today revealed he feared his career could be over after collpasing to the ground in agony at Manchester City last weekend.
    The Slovakian international sustained posterior cruciate ligament damage after falling awkwardly at Eastlands and will be out of action until Christmas.

But he admits a speedy return to action was the furthest thing from his mind as he was stretchered off the pitch during the second half of the Reds 3-2 victory.

"The pain was unbearable," he said. "I can't remember a lot about the moment – but it was terrible. I thought that was the end for me.

"I have never suffered anything like that before but I remained conscious and they gave me oxygen to help with the pain.

"I was in shock for a while but now I am coming to terms with what happened. It hurts still, but things are getting better.

"I almost ripped the ligament fully - and if I had done that, I would have been out for eight months. But now it will be more like eight weeks if I am lucky, when I should be able to start training again."

Apologies if this was posted already but I am delighted for the lad that he won't need surgery and could be back by Christmas.

Hopefully we won't need to risk him until he's well and truely ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Crikey
    Mirror wrote:
    Manchester City have given notice of their incredible financial muscle with a mind-blowing £200,000 a week offer to Fernando Torres.

The Mirror can reveal that representatives of the Premiership club’s Abu Dhabi owners have made discreet contact with the Liverpool striker’s advisors within the last fortnight.

And while there has been no official approach or a formal offer, it is understood the Spaniard’s agents have had the prospect of an incredible deal spelt out to them in no uncertain terms.

Sources in Spain, where the player’s advisors - the management group Bay International - are based, suggest that the oil rich owners of City would happily more than DOUBLE the striker’s salary to get their man.

And while Torres has made it clear that he would not be interested in any offer at any price, it is still a sobering reflection of just how powerful City could become in the market.

The figure has virtually been plucked out of the air to illustrate to the player’s advisor how keen the Arabs would be to see a player of Torres’ standing arrive at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Ironically, the Spaniard scored twice there to win the game for City on Sunday, and emphasise his status as probably the best striker in Europe at the moment.

City manager Mark Hughes wants another striker, and while he is pragmatic enough to realise that he will find it difficult to tempt a player such as Torres away from a big four club, he accepts the club’s new owners need to show they mean business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sizzler wrote: »
    Crikey

City may find that they can bluster all they like and make ludicrous offers, but the real top end players will ignore them. They have no european pedigree, and were two tiers down only a few years back. There is a great opportunity for City to really build something special, but it will probably take time. At least Chelsea had some champions league experience and the fact that they are based on London to tempt top class players over when Roman came in flashing the cash.

Torres is going nowhere. FACT.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

do you really think if an 60-80M bid came in that pool would turn it down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cheridere

kida wrote: »
    do you really think if an 60-80M bid came in that pool would turn it down?

Yes. It would take a 100m + offer for it to be even considered

cheridere wrote: »
    Yes. It would take a 100m + offer for it to be even considered

hmm im not so sure, i mean 50-60 million would be very difficult for the board to turn down.

I'd be gutted though! + i cant see nando wanting to go to citeh?
    maybe during the summer if they qualify for the CL who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Can't see the Torres thing having any real basis - you'd think they would have a rumoured transfer fee first of all before mentioning the doubled salary.

On the further rumours front - from the BBC website
    Liverpool have been knocked back in setting up a £5m January move for Borussia Dortmund's free-scoring Polish right winger Jakub Blaszczykowski. (Daily Mail)

Looking at the squad a right-winger is probably the area where we are likeliest to be in the market especially if Pennant moves on in January. Presuambly it would be as back-up/different option to Kuyt. El Zhar presuambly wouldn't be best pleased - or the guy who puts names on jersies. :p

Don't know much about the bould Jakub but could be another option. As for free-scoring - He's scored 2 in 26 for Borussia Dortmund and 3 in 51 for Wisla Krakow according to Wikipedia - hardly a goal machine. Scored 1 in 14 for the Polish national team and is 22 yeards old.

And also
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is ready to make a £6m raid for PSV Eindhoven's versatile 22-year-old midfielder Ibrahim Afellay, who has 11 caps for the Netherlands. (The Sun)

Cant see them landing him for £6m unless PSV have some serious money problems.

I will eat my left testicle if Torres end up at Eastlands.

Mike

Even if Liverpool accepted the offer (which i dont think they would), Torres himself wouldnt have to accept the decision, and i dont think he would tbh.

The story is likely bull****, if its not, well then I hope City get done for tapping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

prendy wrote: »
    hmm im not so sure, i mean 50-60 million would be very difficult for the board to turn down.

Even with the boycott, Torres is probably worth 50-60 million to LFC on shirt sales alone. If City go bandying about ridiculous figures, they will probably get a team together and might do well for a while but ultimately it will bring the end of the EPL sooner if no one can price match them.

• Advertisement

Torres is probably worth 50-60 million to LFC on shirt sales alone.

I seriously doubt that.

How much is Torres on a week now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mike
    :eek: Jesus, let's not be too hasty here! I wonder is there an Athletico Madrid fan somewhere who regrets saying something similar about Torres moving to Liverpool?
    Even with the boycott, Torres is probably worth 50-60 million to LFC on shirt sales alone.
    It's hard to put an overall figure on merchandising worth but I'm sure the addition of Torres to the squad has paid off just with regard to that alone, never mind how he does on the pitch.

It would be quite interesting if Man City ended up signing, for example, Cristiano Ronaldo, Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas. I hope it doesn't happen mind you.

Even with the boycott, Torres is probably worth 50-60 million to LFC on shirt sales alone. If City go bandying about ridiculous figures, they will probably get a team together and might do well for a while but ultimately it will bring the end of the EPL sooner if no one can price match them.

where did you pull that figure out of? is that per year or over the life of his contract?
    id say he's worth 5-6m a year in shirt sales tops over 5 years is 30m?

edit: I think the story is a non runner but am interested in how people come up with the figures banded about here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Mike

You'd better hope he's injured/missing for every game we play there over the next few years :p

Atletico < Liverpool

Liverpool > Man City

I feel confident of retaining one gonad more than A Hitler.

Mike

where did you pull that figure out of? is that per year or over the life of his contract?

edit: I think the story is a non runner but am interested in how people come up with the figures banded about here?

6 million sales on Torres jerseys would at approx £40 a jersey would be 150,000 jerseys sold annually, even at a crazy figure of 25% profit, that would be 1.5 million a year x 5 years = 7.5 million.

Liverpools total revenue sales from merchandise in 2006 was 16 million.

If Torres is worth 60 million in jerseys, I'll eat Mikes Right Testicle. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I took the figure from your previous post about how Liverpool would look at an offer of 50-60million for Torres. I dont know how much we take in on Torres shirts (but I reckon its more than the rest of the team draws in put together (with the exception on Stevie)) and was just highlighting that 50-60m for our top player to go to a possible new arch-Rival seems silly money considering what he offers the club in sales and merchandising

Who cares what his shirt sales are worth. Stop picking. :rolleyes:

If Torres goes to Man city I will eat Mike's right gonad.

Boggles got here first, this could be worse then German porn! :eek:

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

There's a reason why Mike picked the left one. The right one is probably dodgy :pac: :pac:

If a crazy bid, lets say £100m did come in for Torres, I'd find it impossible imo that Liverpool would refuse it.
    On the other hand Torres would have to agree to go. From the impressions I get from Torres in the press he loves Liverpool.
    But as they say never say never!!!

We can share. It will be beautiful.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement