Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Keane can step it up but it could mean babel time - which is great also. Of course hope torres is ok could be very minor

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Keane looks to be fine so far for second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mayordenis, Babel is off as well.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Did Torres go off injured in an international earlier in the season? Bloody internationals, every player should take Carra's stance.:pac:

He did, got a knock in the pre-match training. (I think)

Mike

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    mayordenis, Babel is off as well.

Mike

hmm titwank
    wigan are a decent side but the right type of team for one of the younger guys to get a chance like Ngog or Pacheco - or we can finally play Masch, Xabi and gerrard together this season.

if none of keane,babel and torres are fit my guess

Kuytinator
    riera-Gerrard-Masch-Xabi-Pennant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Torres just precautionary,torres doesnt take chances if he feels a tweak off he comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

mayordenis wrote: »
    hmm titwank
    wigan are a decent side but the right type of team for one of the younger guys to get a chance like Ngog or Pacheco - or we can finally play Masch, Xabi and gerrard together this season.

if none of keane,babel and torres are fit my guess

Kuytinator
    riera-Gerrard-Masch-Xabi-Pennant

The Dirkinator sounds better.:pac:

Kujitatron 5000 Mark A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thats only 9. We need one more to field a full set of outfield players in our new 1-10 formation
    :D I forgot Brouwer but any time I've seen him play he's looked shite. I suppose we'd have to have Carragher in there for the oul' Scouse grit and determination.

Watching Kevin Doyle, I wonder what are the chances of Rafa uniting him and Keane at Liverpool? He runs all day just like Kuyt but he has quite a good first touch which is very much unlike Kuyt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Kevin Doyle is nowhere near Liverpool standard,take off the green specks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

doyle is a villa type player,nothing more and nothing less.He is a good decent pro but lacks that something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dub13 wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle is nowhere near Liverpool standard,take off the green specks.
    raven136 wrote: »
    doyle is a villa type player,nothing more and nothing less.He is a good decent pro but lacks that something special.
    I probably should have added a smiley to the end of my last post. It wasn't a serious comment!

It would be funny if the tabloids started running with the rumour though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the difference is - kuyt plays like doyle did tonite every nite.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The 24 year old had to limp out of the pitch in tears after just 15 minutes when he sustained what looked like a hamstring pull in his left thigh while retrieving a high ball.

Óscar Celada, La Selección’s team doctor, was first to assessed the damage and he confirmed that El Niño will definitely be sidelined for at least ten days.

“He has intense pain in the lower part of his thigh. At this stage, it is difficult to diagnose the extent of the injury, or to know whether it is just a hamstring or if there is any muscle tear.

“If it is just a muscle pull, then he will be out for at least roughly one week,” the doctor offered.

Further tests will no doubt be carried out either in Spain or back at Liverpool to determine the degree of the injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

:( Will wait for the official word on Nando. Rotten bad luck for him to miss the Atletico game. Solidarity with the poxy luck of the fans I suppose. I know it's one game at a time etc. but I can't help looking towards Stamford Bridge. We have a good chance of ending Chelsea's incredible run and that would be a real statement of intent.

Still, at least Robbie scored and was able to play on. He should be well rested too having done nothing in the second half:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah, robbie did seem like he had half an eye on playing the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

DeadSkin wrote: »
    He left Liverpool with a year left on his contract. He couldn't agree terms with Liverpool on a new contract so off he went to Real for £8m + Mr.Nunez.

When he left Real for Newcastle, we were supposed to be in talks with him at the time but again wages came into it iirc.

I'm sure he was looking for an improved contract at Newcastle recently.

its not his fault Liverpool let his contract run down. They could have sold him a year earlier for twice the money. He owed Liverpool nothing, he cost them nothing and was one of our best ever strikers. He had always dreamt of playing abroad so who can blame him for going to Madrid.
    A year later, Liverpool couldn't afford him. He desperately wanted to come here, but had little choice but to move to Newcastle. They were the only bidders and his family wanted to move back to England. They, of course, must come first.
    And, for christ sake, what player in the world doesn't look for an improved contract when theirs is running out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, robbie did seem like he had half an eye on playing the weekend.

Nope, that's just the way he always plays for Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

its not his fault Liverpool let his contract run down. They could have sold him a year earlier for twice the money. He owed Liverpool nothing, he cost them nothing and was one of our best ever strikers. He had always dreamt of playing abroad so who can blame him for going to Madrid.
    A year later, Liverpool couldn't afford him. He desperately wanted to come here, but had little choice but to move to Newcastle. They were the only bidders and his family wanted to move back to England. They, of course, must come first.
    And, for christ sake, what player in the world doesn't look for an improved contract when theirs is running out?

First, Owen kept saying he would sign a new deal, but kept procrastinating. The board trusted him on this and let his contract get to the stage it did, then he said he was off. Had he been transparent from the start rather then fobbing off the club, we would have gotten a fair price and he'd still have had his 'dream move' (though i think we all know he'd have chosen a different path if he had the decision again).

Also, when Real sold him after the year, he could have held out for liverpool. If Real were faced with an option of sell to liverpool or nothing, we'd have most likely gotten him, exactly the same way Villa got Baros despite Lyon bidding significantly more. He flat out refused to join lyon at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i dont know, i liked milan baros :p

Jazzy wrote: »
    i dont know, i liked milan baros :p

i did too to be honest. Just pointing out that he is the perfect example of what Owen could have done. Madrid could only sell to Newcastle because Owen let them. I've no doubt that it was more a case of Newcastle offering HIM more money, then having much to do with Newky's bid being higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Liverpool could've sold him a year earlier for the twice the money, but they didn't.

Owen was in an excellent position to leave Liverpool on the cheap and in return get a massive wage packet from Real.

Owen could've held out for Liverpool if he was desperate to come back to Liverpool from Real, but he didn't.

He decided on Newcastle for the $$$$$'s.

I'm sure his contract is up soon with Newcastle, so he's putting them in the same position Liverpool were when Liverpool were forced to sell him for peanuts.

And what has the Lord Jesus Christ got to do with any of this? :pac: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

stupid internationals looks like its cost us again.:mad:
    Torres will be out for at least a week and Babel could be out as well. Second International break in a row Torres has come back injured from isnt it?

Some good news hopefully for fans goin' to the Atletico game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

A year later, Liverpool couldn't afford him. He desperately wanted to come here, but had little choice but to move to Newcastle. They were the only bidders and his family wanted to move back to England.

Newcastle weren't the only bidders at the time. Liverpool bid for him too but iirc it was for in/around the price Real paid us for him whereas Newcastle's bid was significantly more. However Real gave him permission to speak to both clubs. Rafa & Rick had a very discreet meeting with him in one of the clubs houses in city - told him they wanted him back and that if he stuck to his guns about moving to Liverpool then Real would have to accept their offer. Newcastle on the other hand wined & dined him 'at a secret location' that the press just happened to be camped outside.

He'd let the club know for a few months beforehand (via his father) that he wanted to go back to Liverpool. I've no idea why he ended up choosing Newcastle over Liverpool (and at this stage couldn't care less) but it's wrong to say we couldn't afford him and didn't bid for him when we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Also, when Real sold him after the year, he could have held out for liverpool. If Real were faced with an option of sell to liverpool or nothing, we'd have most likely gotten him, exactly the same way Villa got Baros despite Lyon bidding significantly more. He flat out refused to join lyon at the time.

His hands were tied. Newcastle had offered 16million - there is no way in hell Liverpol could match that having sold him for 8 the previous summer. Carra talks about this in his book - he wanted to come back to Lpool but it couldn't happen - he couldn't take the chance of Madrid "helping him out" coz it was transfer deadline day and he had to get back to England for family reasons.

It's an ansolute disgrace the way some Red fans treat Michael Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

actually Carragher says in his book that he has no clue what Michael is thinking being at Newcastle and that he should have held out for Liverpool and told Real that was the only club they were to deal with.

But Carra also states that he would have been takin a chance and that he was right to put his family first - so Newcastle it was

• Advertisement

I'll have to re-read that chapter so ;)

although, if he did that, Carra is full of ****.....put his family first? what, are they skint or something? he could have run down his contract and stayed in Madrid another few months....I'm sure his family would have been heartbroken ;)

What I gathered from it was that Owen couldn't get out of there quick enough.

There is a couple of Contradidtions in Carras autobio though. He says that he has never seen a case of where a "manager has lost the dressing room", that he doesn't believe in that statement.well earliar on he says he knew Houilliers days were over when he started confiding in himself an Stevie about team selections!

Heard there that Keane is a doubt for Saturday now as well -- oh oh spagettio

So then Babel, Torres, and Bennyoooooun all appear to be out.

Reina
    Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Aurelio/Doss
    Alonso-Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard----Riera
    Keane

Is how I'd go for Wigam and indeed Atletico.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Reina
    Alonso-Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard----Riera
    Keane

Assuming Keane is fit to play, that's still a strong team considering two or three of our more potent attacking players are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Same team in both matches?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In regards to Owen, he was a great player for Liverpool, went to Real. I mean, that's fair enough. It's not like he went to a Prem rival. And anyway, anyone not happy with Owen can just look at how his career has slumped since signing on the dotted Madrid line. That bloke probably goes to training every day cursing the day he left Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,766 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Reina
    Alonso-Masch
    Kuyt
    Gerrard----Riera
    Keane

Mike

Masch played a full match against a Chile side that played 125mph last night by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Boggles wrote: »
    Masch played a full match against a Chile side that played 125mph last night by all accounts.

Good, Masch had a nice rest over the past few weeks so that'll have given him a good workout. Hopefully Rafa focuses on Wigan and Chelsea if we are to go anywhere this year. 4 points minimum from those 2 games. He can send the reserves to Atletico for all I care. We need what, 4 points or so from 4 games? Surely qualification is more than possible even if we lose miserably to Atletico next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Des wrote: »
    Same team in both matches?

lol

Why do you even bother like?

machiavellianme,

True, but I suspect Rafa would sooner have ten points in the bag ASAP and then send out weaker sides for the remaining game or two.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Dossena

Alonso
    Lucas

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane/N'Gog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Boggles wrote: »

I watched the first half of that match. Those Chile players should be tested! 125mph is putting it mildly. And Masch played more on the right as well, which was strange.

international break round up:

Mascherano knackered, Torres & Babel definately injured, Keane possibly injured.

wonderful :(

I ****ing hate international football

Mr Alan wrote: »

Mascherano knackered, Torres & Babel definately injured, Keane possibly injured.

Yeah, why can't they all follow Sephen Ireland's example :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Benni injured as well I heard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

makes lovely reading!:mad:

if all above are missing id play pennant out right with kuyt up front. i think it'd be more potent.

Alonso
    Lucas

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Riera

Kuyt

i still think the side is strong enough to see off Wigan. As another poster said the CL is not the priority at the moment. were in a good position where it lloks like one more win would see us through. a reserve team in madrid mightnt be the worst play seeing as we have a crucial game the following week at the bridge.

His hands were tied. Newcastle had offered 16million - there is no way in hell Liverpol could match that having sold him for 8 the previous summer. Carra talks about this in his book - he wanted to come back to Lpool but it couldn't happen - he couldn't take the chance of Madrid "helping him out" coz it was transfer deadline day and he had to get back to England for family reasons.

You're missing the point that i explained. Owen's hands weren't tied. Just because a team bids more, doesn't mean the player Has to go there. Its not the slave trade! Liverpool wouldn't have had to match the bid. Owen could quite easily have said 'im not going to newcastle. or anywhere bar liverpool for that matter.' Done. But pool wouldn't have given him near the wages Newcastle would, and That is the crux of the issue. It was money and nothing to do with poor owen having his hands tied by Newcastles bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rafa Benitez admits that Fernando Torres looks set to miss Liverpool's next three matches.

Torres limped off for Spain on Wednesday after just 16 minutes of their win over Belgium.

Liverpool have also confirmed that it is again the Spaniard's hamstring, which was the same one he damaged at Aston Villa earlier this season.

He was out for three weeks previously, but The Reds have indicated that the new injury will only sideline him for ten days - although that will mean he misses the league games with Wigan and crucially Chelsea, and the UEFA Champions League clash at Atletico Madrid.

"I am very disappointed about this because it now looks like we will lose Fernando for three very important games," Benitez told the club's official website.

"We have Wigan at home and Chelsea away in the league and Atletico Madrid away in the Champions League, so to lose any players is a big blow.

"The initial reports say Fernando is likely to be out for around 10 days and that would mean he would miss these games.

"It is important that we show our strength at times like this.

"We cannot do anything about the injuries so it is up to the players to come in and do a good job if they are needed."

International issues
    Benitez, who has also lost Ryan Babel to an ankle injury he suffered playing for Holland against Norway, has vented his anger at the amount of international games.

"There are too many international games and the demands on the players are too much," bemoaned Benitez.

"Someone needs to analyse this situation because it is putting the players at risk of injury.

"Maybe the answer is for there to be a two-tier qualifying system because there are too many games in the qualifiers for the World Cup and the European Championships which are not competitive but which still place great demands on the players.

"These fixtures are unnecessary and maybe it would be better if the weaker countries played one another and the best of them went to play the stronger countries in the qualifiers."

"It is important that we show our strength at times like this," added Benitez.

"We cannot do anything about the injuries so it is up to the players to come in and do a good job if they are needed."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

prendy wrote: »
    makes lovely reading!:mad:

if all above are missing id play pennant out right with kuyt up front. i think it'd be more potent.

Alonso
    Lucas

Pennant
    Gerrard
    Riera

Kuyt

i still think the side is strong enough to see off Wigan. As another poster said the CL is not the priority at the moment. were in a good position where it lloks like one more win would see us through. a reserve team in madrid mightnt be the worst play seeing as we have a crucial game the following week at the bridge.

Ahem?!? Come again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If anyone is copy and pasting a news story, please use the quotes and provide a linkback to the original piece.

ha ha ha, zabbo the superthread overlord! :D

why?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement