Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

so is the hertha game on or wat?:Dsomebody mentioned Setanta 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Mr Alan wrote: »

Just seen it listed for Setanatata 2 on their setanta.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I remember watching their game against Werder Bremen last year which was during the tour on Setanta if I remember correctly.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Yeah just checked the Sky listings, it's on Setanta 2 at 6:40 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Damnit!
    I'm working till 8!!!

zing wrote: »
    Masch confirms he's off to Beijing (we all knew it was going to happen anyway)

O well good luck to him in it anyway. He'll probably be captain im guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

O well good luck to him in it anyway. He'll probably be captain im guessing.

I'm thinkin' a lot of Liverpool fans are hopin' Argentina get knocked out early doors ;). Here's to Holland & Brazil too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Here's an Ngog comilation.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/David%2BNgog/video/x4rsdg_compilation-david-ngog_sport
    Nothing incredibly impressive really, he is fast alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Nothing incredibly impressive really, he is fast alright though.

So was Cisse, in fairness. But you're right, nothing too special there, though I'm sure our professional scouts see and know more than internet video compilers.

• Advertisement

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    So was Cisse, in fairness. But you're right, nothing too special there, though I'm sure our professional scouts see and know more than internet video compilers.

Cisse is one of the most under-rated Liverpool players this decade.

He was signed by one manager, who was fired before he got here.
    Rafa never wanted him, and played him on the right or left!
    He still consistantly scored, but was moved off as a failure, cause Rafa didn't want him.
    He scored 8 goals in our Champions League run up in 2005.
    And scored twice (one wrongly disallowed) in the FA Cup final in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Article about the Olympics from Tim Vickery and also his thoughts on Cavalieri.

Seems like we are getting taken for a bit of a ride with Mascherano, expecially when you consider he already has a gold medal already and all the other teams who are not releasing over-age players. Just confirms what a mockery this football at the Olympics is.

Also isnt exactly glowing about Cavalieri.
    Tim Vickery column
    By Tim Vickery
    South American football reporter

For both Argentina and Brazil, preparation for the Olympic football tournament has been hampered by the need to battle with European clubs over player availability.

In theory, there should be automatic release for players of 23 and under. Even so, Germany's Werder Bremen are reluctant to let Diego play for Brazil in China, and Barcelona are determined to hang on to Argentina's Lionel Messi.

But the real problems are with the three permitted over-age players, where the clubs have no obligation to release.

Brazil drew a blank on Kaka, but Milan are prepared to cede Ronaldinho.

Robinho of Real Madrid is also in the squad, but his camp last week were hinting heavily that he would be willing to miss out on the Olympics if a move to Chelsea goes through.

Coach Dunga was anxious to take an experienced centre-back to China, but was unable to secure the release of either of his senior duo, Lucio and Juan, so the classy home-based Thiago Silva comes in.

Argentina also had problems at centre-back. They wanted Martin Demichelis of Bayern Munich, and were turned down.

Inter Milan would not release Nicolas Burdisso and Real Madrid held on to Gabriel Heinze, so the little-known Nicolas Pareja of Anderlecht is one of their over-age players.

The other two are midfielders: playmaker Juan Roman Riquelme of Boca Juniors, and Javier Mascherano, who Liverpool seem set to release with surprisingly little protest, especially as they also lose Lucas Leiva to the Brazil squad.

Mascherano already has an Olympic gold medal from the Athens Games. The fact that he is prepared to trot half way round the world in search of another one begs the question - why is the Olympic tournament so important to the South Americans?

The reasons are threefold.

Firstly, Olympic football has huge historical resonance in South America.

The Paris Games of 1924 marked the birth of modern football. Uruguay arrived as unknowns, cruised to the gold with a balletic and skilful style Europe had never seen before, and set off a fever for the game.

As a direct consequence of Uruguay's 1924 triumph, and their win over Argentina four years later in Amsterdam, the World Cup came to life.

To this day South American football makes reference to 'Olympic goals' (straight in from a corner) and 'Olympic laps' (of honour, after winning a trophy).

In the here and now, the Olympic tournament represents a chance of claiming a title - and anyone who thinks South American football prizes fun and self expression over collecting trophies is seriously deluded.

The Olympic gold is the only title Brazil have never won, and they are desperate to put that right and complete the set.

Argentina, of course, are the reigning champions. But they still want more - especially as they have a new coach, 1986 World Cup midfielder Sergio Batista, in charge of their youth sides. A win will establish him in his new post.

Dunga, Brazil's senior coach, is also in charge of the Olympic side, and with his team struggling so badly in World Cup qualification, success in China will do wonders for his prestige - according to some dark voices, it is the only thing which will keep him in a job.

Perhaps more important than the title itself is the fact that the Olympic tournament is a halfway house on the road to the next World Cup.

At senior level, for example, Brazil's recent midfield play has been grotesque. In China, the likes of Anderson, Lucas and the talented Hernanes of Sao Paulo will have a chance to bring some more imagination to this vital sector, which could then kick-start the World Cup qualification campaign.

For Argentina the giant Ezequiel Garay could establish himself in the centre of defence, where the team have struggled for height in recent times.

Left-back has been another problem position - Fabian Monzon has an opportunity to solve it.

So there are some important things at stake between the 7th and the 23rd of next month - possibly too important.

Does the Olympic tournament put an extra strain on elite players already suffering from an over-cluttered calendar?

Would it not be better as a pure youth competition, with no over-age players and restricted to under-20s?

A debate is needed, if only to avoid a repeat of the confusion over release obligations which has complicated the preparation of both Brazil and Argentina.

You can put your questions to Tim Vickery every week on the World Football Phone-in on BBC Radio 5 Live's Up All Night programme from 0230 to 0400 BST every Saturday. You can also download last week's World Football Phone-in Podcast.

YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
    How do you rate the two South American players, Carlos Villanueva from Chile and Segundo Castillo from Ecuador, that Blackburn are supposed to be interested in? Do you think they'll make the jump to the Premier League? Villanueva especially seems a gamble as he's had no experience of European football before.
    Alan Sheppard

They're both midfielders, but are very different players. Castillo is only 26, but has much more experience. An established international - 33 caps - he had a good World Cup, and was picked up by Red Star Belgrade. He's a defensive midfielder, a battler, with no great class but very strong and athletic.

Villanueva is the opposite. He's 22, has been an international for little more than a year (nine caps) and is a slight figure - but with real quality in his left foot. He can feature either as a playmaker or can play wide left, where he's not lightning pace but can curl in some lovely crosses. Can he up the rhythm of his game and can he cope with the physicality of the Premier League? I would love to think that he can - if so he can be a real asset to the English game - but Chileans are not always the best of travellers and I have to agree with you that he's a gamble.

I was wondering if you could shed any light as to the potential of the new Liverpool goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri. Brazil is not exactly renowned as a hotbed for good goalkeepers with the possible exception of Taffarel. The most recent high-profile Brazilian keeper, Dida does not exactly inspire confidence.
    Mike Byrne

I think your comments on Brazilian keepers are a bit out of date - and harsh on Dida, despite the odd blunder. I agree, Taffarel was great, but there's no doubt that Dida did more in Europe, and he had an excellent World Cup as well. In recent years Brazil has become a hotbed of keepers - they are now exporting them all over Europe, and it's no coincidence. They've worked really hard at their goalkeeping preparation, and lots of their keepers now are big and athletic.

Personally I don't rate Diego Cavalieri among the best of them. In my view he's good but not great - certainly not one of the most athletic keepers. In fact he's reminded me of a Brazilian Paul Robinson. I also wonder about the fee. He lost his place at Palmeiras to Marcos, Brazil's 2002 World Cup keeper who had a bad run with injuries. Marcos is a top keeper, but he is now a veteran. Diego was a back up to a 35-year-old, and I'm not sure this fact is reflected in the fee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7516842.stm

What's wrong with David Martin? Or another keeper we have who oddly looks similar to Cech? Or that Mihalov fella from Bulgaria?

Ridiculous IMO. We needn't spend a penny on a keeper only sell Carson and/or Itandje and we'd be sorted with our reserve/academy keepers. Plus the one in a thousand chance Reina would get injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    ......Plus the one in a thousand chance Reina would get injured.

If you have jinxed him, we'll hunt you down!!!!:pac:

Plus the one in a thousand chance Reina would get injured.

Get yourself to the nearest piece of wood, and start touching!!!

Don't worry lads, I'll even kiss my wooden desk I'm sitting for Pepe to go another season unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Get yourself to the nearest piece of wood, and start touching!!!

Oh er missus ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Don't worry lads, I'll even kiss my wooden desk I'm sitting for Pepe to go another season unscathed.

Your sig is a bit to big ourlad!

Sorry people about that that, hopes it's better now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Liverpool team in full:

Cavalieri, Darby, Insua, Agger, Carragher, Plessis, Mascherano, Pennant, Leto, Pacheco, Voronin.

Subs: Martin, Dossena, Hyypia, Skrtel, Degen, Benayoun, Kuyt, Spearing, Hobbs.

Mike.

Mascherano? :) A light injury to rule him of Beijing, but a miraculous recovery for the Sunderland away. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Mascherano? :) A light injury to rule him of Beijing, but a miraculous recovery for the Sunderland away. ;)

Absolutely!

Looking forward to seeing Pacheco again.

Anyone got any feed links?

I'm stuck at work till 8, so won't be able to watch!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Tottenham bosses have submitted a year's worth of evidence to support their complaint over Manchester United's pursuit of Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov.

And Spurs have also reported Liverpool to the Premier League for their courting of Robbie Keane.

The Premier League board will now write to all parties before deciding on further action.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy accused United of being hypocritical, given that the European Champions reported Real Madrid to governing body FIFA because of their interest in Cristiano Ronaldo.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez admitted earlier this month that he was interested in bringing hitman Keane, 28, to Anfield this summer.

So basically, they have "proof" of Utd tapping up Berbatov, so submit it to the FA.
    While they have no proof at all on Liverpool and Keane (because chances are f**k all wrong happened!!!), but paint us with the same brush!

Am I the only one who's getting beyond pissed off with officials from other clubs baselessly accusing Liverpool and Rafa?!
    Even though nothing will come of this, and Keane will go to Liverpool, but still the general public will have the idea of Rafa being some scheming cheating manager.
    All because MON acted like the small drunk guy in the bar looking for a fight, and Levy tried to tack Liverpools approach for Keane onto what may be an illegal approach by Utd for Berbatov in order to appease his fans!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Will the fans give a **** what people think of Rafa if he can mastermind a decent title push?

So basically, they have "proof" of Utd tapping up Berbatov, so submit it to the FA.
    While they have no proof at all on Liverpool and Keane (because chances are f**k all wrong happened!!!), but paint us with the same brush!

Am I the only one who's getting beyond pissed off with officials from other clubs baselessly accusing Liverpool and Rafa?!
    Even though nothing will come of this, and Keane will go to Liverpool, but still the general public will have the idea of Rafa being some scheming cheating manager.
    All because MON acted like the small drunk guy in the bar looking for a fight, and Levy tried to tack Liverpools approach for Keane onto what may be an illegal approach by Utd for Berbatov in order to appease his fans!

:mad::mad::mad:
    Thats just a journalists description of what happened. Whether Liverpool end up being found guilty or not, you'd have to assume Tottenham have sent what they consider to be substantial evidence over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Sopcast of tonights match for anyone interested.....good quality

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6099

Edit: Terrible commentary though

DSB wrote: »
    Thats just a journalists description of what happened. Whether Liverpool end up being found guilty or not, you'd have to assume Tottenham have sent what they consider to be substantial evidence over.

No, that was the press release from Tottenham.
    They announced a dossier of evidence goping back over a year, on the Utd case.
    Going into some of the aspects of the evidence such as use of the media.
    While "reporting" Liverpool.
    No mention of evidence, no mention of exactly what they did wrong.
    There is no dossier on Keane.
    Liverpool submitted an offer.
    Totenham said not at that price, now they're working on a price.
    Why do you think that nobody in Liverpool is worried while in Utd you have Fergie and their press office responding?
    Cause Liverpool did nothing wrong.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Will the fans give a **** what people think of Rafa if he can mastermind a decent title push?

I know Chelsea fans who hate Mourinhios illegal tactics.
    He won them two titles.

• Advertisement

No, that was the press release from Tottenham.
    They announced a dossier of evidence goping back over a year, on the Utd case.
    Going into some of the aspects of the evidence such as use of the media.
    While "reporting" Liverpool.
    No mention of evidence, no mention of exactly what they did wrong.
    There is no dossier on Keane.
    Liverpool submitted an offer.
    Totenham said not at that price, now they're working on a price.
    Why do you think that nobody in Liverpool is worried while in Utd you have Fergie and their press office responding?
    Cause Liverpool did nothing wrong.

Neither you nor I know whats gone on. It'll all be revealed in time.

DSB wrote: »
    Neither you nor I know whats gone on. It'll all be revealed in time.

True, but it has been revealed today that Fergie never said what the papers reported him as saying!
    The Norwegian Utd Fan Club where the interview originated before being picked up by the English media, have come out and admitted to misquoting Fergie.
    And they have the tapes of the interview to prove exactly what he did, or didn't say.
    This is the same interview that Levy said this about.
    "Today's public comments by Manchester United's manager, announcing that he has made an offer for Dimitar and is confident that the deal will go through with time working in their favour, is a blatant example of sheer arrogance and interference with one of our players. It is also probably one of the worst offences by any manager in the Premier League to date and is unbelievably hypocritical given his recent comments in respect of Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid.

So I know that this accusation by Levy is bulls**t.

That's the only one that he's made publically, and though he has supposedly submitted some "real" evidence on the part of Berbatov now, all that they did was "report" Liverpool last Wednsday.
    Which means they told the FA that they think that something may not be above board.

Now all the evidence in the public eye seems to indicate that Tottenham implied interest in Crouch, Liverpool said okay but we want Keane.
    Tottenham sain no to £5,000,000 plus Crouch, but Liverpool came back with a straight money offer, and things have moved from there.
    All that Rafa said publically about Keane is that he was on the list of players Liverpool were interested in.

None of that is in any way illegal!

Maybe something did happen, but all evidence seems to indicate not.
    Tottenham however have come out and used the media (the very tool that they accused both Liverpool and Utd of using) to smear the whole situation with baseless, unproven alligations.

I hope the rumours of a combined Liverpool/Utd deflamation case are true.
    (Never thought I'd be happy to see Utd and Liverpool on the same side!!!:p)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

some sort of peno miss by Lolonin

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

are we ok to talk about match in here as no-one seems to have setup a match thread? Presume so?

Not a great display, funny formation though. Some new faces in unexpected positions i.e not what they were bought as.

copacetic wrote: »
    are we ok to talk about match in here as no-one seems to have setup a match thread? Presume so?

Not a great display, funny formation though. Some new faces in unexpected positions i.e not what they were bought as.

Poor display alright. No driving force for the Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

unfortunatly havent got setanta:o anyone want to post the formation and who is playing where??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

rosboy wrote: »
    Poor display alright. No driving force for the Pool.

Yeah, not a great game. Pacheco and Voronin were good i thought, though they had no help from midfield.

Degen and Dossena gave us a bit more going forward when they came on, but Dossena in particular worries me defensively. Not that he can't, but just that he doesn't seem to want to. Hopefully Rafa will help him find more of a balance between defense and attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

In fairness I think it was actually a good save for the penalty as opposed to a dire effort by Voro.

Thought Cavalieri did ok - some nice distribution

Pacheco - looked too young and slight tonight

Formation was a major joke - Masch and Plessis in the CM - AAAAGGGHHHH

A crowd of over 51 thousand - not bad going for a pre-season friendly

Apparently Herta won there last game 8-1 so not bad all in all

Dossena finally makes his debut - Hurrrah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and the score was?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Well basing my views on that performance, Dossena isn't exactly "tight" at the back. And his climbing all over the attacker at high balls won't last long, he didn't win one. Degen however has caught my eye, didn't commit too forward and seems to have a trick or two plus great stamina and drive.

Voronin was ok, not a natural goalscorer by a long shot so if Torres gets injured (touch wood) then we are truly f***ed IMHO. Kuyt and Voronin up front together, it'd be like a "no you hang up" conversation but with goals. Too unselfish for their own goood.

A boring 0-0 @ mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    and the score was?

Mike.

0-0

Valencia crisis puts Villa and Silva back on the market

What a complicated situation at Valencia. The new ‘boss’ at the club (alongside the chairman, Juan Soler) is Juan Vilallonga. He arrived at the club with the promise of guaranteed funds to the value of €408 million; unfortunately nobody has seen this money yet and things are in such a mess that he could even be sacked this same week if his attempts at securing funds and an increase in available capital are not approved.
    How does that affect David Villa or David Silva? The club knows that one of them has to be sold and I have the impression that Juan Soler had promised Villa’s agent he could leave for the right amount of money - around €40 million: a promise that will obviously have to be respected by Vilallonga.

My guess is that if Cristiano Ronaldo ends up not going to Madrid, Real will try to poach Villa for that amount of money. If the Portuguese arrives, Madrid will try to put an agreement in place by which Villa will become a Merengue next season. Logically, that is something that could happen under normal circumstances. However, the situation at Valencia is so unstable that, to be honest, almost anything is possible: Villa could even go to Madrid this summer and the current climate makes it all very difficult to predict what will happen next.

And before you all ask; personally, I still think David Villa will not be going abroad.

http://guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=39

Cheers rosboy.

"Before you ask" I guess a lot of Reds have been on to him this summer about the Villa situation. Personally I'd like to see him go to Madrid or another Spanish team rather than Chelsea or Utd. That's if we can't afford him.

Here's my plan: Scrap Barry, scrap Keane, scrap Voronin. Then buy Villa. Simply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Tbh I'd be happy with Keane or Villa.

• Advertisement

Well basing my views on that performance, Dossena isn't exactly "tight" at the back. And his climbing all over the attacker at high balls won't last long, he didn't win one. Degen however has caught my eye, didn't commit too forward and seems to have a trick or two plus great stamina and drive.

Voronin was ok, not a natural goalscorer by a long shot so if Torres gets injured (touch wood) then we are truly f***ed IMHO. Kuyt and Voronin up front together, it'd be like a "no you hang up" conversation but with goals. Too unselfish for their own goood.

There will be one more striker coming in this season, Keane is surely at least 50% ours now.
    Levy's blustering all but seals that for me.

I can see the V-man playing as an understudy for the three attacking midfielders next season.

I kinda like this for the starting line up.

Riena

Aebeloa/Degan
    Carra
    Agger/Skretl
    Aurelio/Dossena

Masch
    Barry/Alonso

Keane
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

With the front 4 moving and switching a lot.

Voronin isn't built to hold the line, but could fill into any of the three positions behind Torres (as backup obviously).

There will be one more striker coming in this season, Keane is surely at least 50% ours now.
    Levy's blustering all but seals that for me.

I can see the V-man playing as an understudy for the three attacking midfielders next season.

I kinda like this for the starting line up.

Riena

Aebeloa/Degan
    Carra
    Agger/Skretl
    Aurelio/Dossena

Masch
    Barry/Alonso

Keane
    Gerrard
    Babel

Torres

With the front 4 moving and switching a lot.

Voronin isn't built to hold the line, but could fill into any of the three positions behind Torres (as backup obviously).

Thats pretty much exactly what i expect for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats pretty much exactly what i expect for next season.

Other than the back four, it doesn't look that much different to what we finished last season with. Keane in for Kuyt doesn't exactly make you think 'yes! That's it! Now we can challenge!" and there's still no depth to the squad regarding the attacking flanks.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

TBH I think next season we should start introducing this as out backline

Carragher---Agger---Skrtl---Dossena/Auerellio

I really want to see Agger and Skrtl start working together as they are our future. Carragher is in there for support.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Other than the back four, it doesn't look that much different to what we finished last season with. Keane in for Kuyt doesn't exactly make you think 'yes! That's it! Now we can challenge!" and there's still no depth to the squad regarding the attacking flanks.

Well if Barry is at pool, then he'll probably be starting over Alonso which could be another important difference. I also expect a cheaper winger/wing forward to come in as backup to add a bit of depth.

But to be fair, a lack of depth at the back cost us dearly last season, and that has been totally rectified. The midfield is strong regardless of whether or not Barry comes (though will be even stronger if he does), and the addition of a top notch, proven premiership striker to the front 3 will make a big difference. That as well as Babel being a year older and more experienced make me think we'll challenge more effectively then last season. Still don't expect us to win it, but i expect the gap to be lessened yet again.

Dont forget that if we carry on how we finished last season, from pretty much the Inter Milan matches onwards, we'd be laughing!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement