Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Torres missed the Man Utd match too, but we still won that. The squad is stronger now than before.

Reina

BACK 4

Masch
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha ha, zabbo the superthread overlord! :D

why?

Common courtesy at the least for the publisher and author, and personally I prefer the transparency of knowing what is being quoted and what is being commented by a poster.

Also, I'd rather know where an article is from before reading, for example that copy and paste job from monkey9 was written by Chris Wilson for the Mirror....

If posters just link or copy and paste an entire article, there's not really much discussion either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

"Paolo Maldini can say he has done it all now."
    Portsmouth striker Peter Crouch after the news that Maldini and his AC Milan team-mates would be coming to Fratton Park in the Uefa Cup.

lol legend Crouch:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Heard there on the wireless - Torres out for 3 weeks, hamstring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

official site still reporting 10days, 3 games, so hopefully thats all it will be, at worst! Hope to god theres some chance he'll be able to play a part against Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    official site still reporting 10days, 3 games, so hopefully thats all it will be, at worst! Hope to god theres some chance he'll be able to play a part against Chelsea.

I would imagine Rafa will say that he will miss the Chelsea game and then the day before name him in the team.

It's the done thing these days.

I like it to the way in Star Wars VI when the Sith fool everyone into thinking that the death star is busted but in fact its "fully operational"

*note to self, must watch star wars again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Ahem?!? Come again?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Atletico game back on at the Vicente Calderon

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

yeah just about to post this

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_4344822,00.html

Uefa has temporarily lifted Atletico Madrid's two-game Champions League ban at Vicente Calderon.

The European governing body penalised Atletico on Tuesday for the crowd trouble which marred their UEFA Champions League outing against Marseille at the beginning of October.

As a result, Atletico were banned from playing their next two European games at home, the first of which is against Liverpool next Wednesday, and the Primera Liga club were also fined £120,000.

However, Uefa has now reconsidered the decision after a number of sources sounded their disappointment at the short notice ahead of Liverpool's trip to Spain and Atletico appealed against the decision.
    Appeal

The meeting with five-time European champions Liverpool will now go ahead at Vicente Calderon.

A Uefa statement said: "Following the decision of Uefa's control and disciplinary body to sanction Atletico Madrid for a series of incidents at the UEFA Champions League Group D match against Marseille on 1st October, the club has lodged an appeal against the decision and requested suspension of the sanctions to allow their match against Liverpool to be played in Madrid as originally scheduled.

"After immediate consideration of the request for suspension, and having considered in particular the organisational and logistical difficulties related to relocating the Atletico Madrid v Liverpool match to another venue at short notice, the chairman of the appeals body has decided to grant the request for suspension of the sanctions.

"Consequently, Uefa can confirm that the Champions League match between Atletico Madrid and Liverpool will take place as scheduled on 22nd October at the Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid."

Hearing

"It should be emphasised that suspension of the sanctions does not mean that the decision of the control and disciplinary body has been set aside. The decision remains in force pending a full hearing of the appeal which will now take place on Friday, 31st October 31, 2008 at the Uefa Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

"Uefa is, however, keen to stress that safety and security matters, including efficient cooperation with the police, are of the utmost priority and that there is a zero tolerance policy for incidents concerning racism in football. The match between Atletico Madrid and Liverpool will be under particular scrutiny and Uefa is ready to take immediate and further action if there are any reported incidents at this match."

Reds chief executive Rick Parry has welcomed the rethink, telling the club's official website: "We're delighted at the decision because it means our fans can travel to the game as previously planned without additional expense or inconvenience.

"Liverpool are grateful for the help the FA have provided and pleased Uefa have listened to and acted on the arguments we put forward this week."

even though im a utd fan i think it would have been a disgrace to allow it to be changed and football fans (albeit pool ones ;)) get screwed over

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Owen could quite easily have said 'im not going to newcastle. or anywhere bar liverpool for that matter.'

but real would have said 'fine but liverpool arent meeting our valuation and we dont have to sell you'
    its unfortunate but he gets injured far too much now anyway.

i saw that program sky one had of him a while back and one thing was very very clear to me - he loves his horses way more then he loves newcastle

Jazzy wrote: »
    but real would have said 'fine but liverpool arent meeting our valuation and we dont have to sell you'
    its unfortunate but he gets injured far too much now anyway.

i saw that program sky one had of him a while back and one thing was very very clear to me - he loves his horses way more then he loves newcastle

Indeed, but they quite obviously wanted to sell him. They put him on sale before Newcastle came in with their ridiculously high bid. Id imagine 10mill from us would have been preferable then keeping a player they had already deemed surpluss to requirements, after all if Newcastle hadn't come in for him, another team wouldn't have been offering that money.

On Torres, yeah i wouldn't be surprised to see his 'surprise' inclusion V Chelsea, but at the same time, we all expected Gerrard and/or Torres to start V ManU in a similer sneaky fashion, and neither did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ffs, beeb gossip...

from teh mirror :/
    - We're lining up a swoop for Heskey in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i was actually thinking about that the other day, he is available on a free in the summer or very little in Jan, he is in the form of his life, tbh we could do a lot worse and he would provide a different option. Torres/Keane/Heskey/Babel/Kuyt/Ngog with Nemeth clipping at their heals would be impressive and certainly provide plenty of options

(note that its not quite as excessive as it looks when you consider Babel and Kuyt play on the wing for us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Heskey would be decent backup on a free.
    But what about Zaki, he's currently only on Loan and although i think a fee has been agreed i reckon if Liverpool came in to hijack the deal it would turn the players head. He's looked very impressive.
    I'd love Palacios as well, and i'd pay big money for him if needed. He has it all.

I'm getting a little concerned about Wigan now. Palacios, Valencia, Koumas, Heskey, Zaki are all very good players.

so are Reina/Agger/Carra/Arbeloa/Mascherano/Alonso/Gerrard/Riera/Benayoun/Kuyt & Keane. I'd imagine, they're more worried ;)

zaki does look a top player alright, i dont think there is a fee or purchase agreement in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

heskey? Seriously?

he would never play,he's getting old and if crouch couldnt get his game then i dont think Heskey would.
    I would much rather see a young lad in the Heskey mould brought in because i agree we need something different for plan B.

i dont think we should be looking at any strikers in Jan, its probably our strongest position as Mr ALan pointed out we have an abundance of talent up there. I'd like to see a right winger brought in. I think thats all!:cool:

Heskey was floated in the press in late summer. I'd have no probs but why play for a team that hardly uses you? I think he'll stay at Wigan. Its not like he has to be at a "big 4" club to get his England game. Indeed his future in the national side seems bombproof.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think some Liverpool fans must have very short memories if they think that Heskey would be a good addition to the squad. If Heskey actually was that good he would never have been sold in the first place!

Considering the negativity surrounding Kuyt's lack of goals, how long would it take before Heskey got the same considering he's older and slower than when he was deemed not good enough for Liverpool's first team.

Also as others have said, he's guaranteed his place at Wigan whereas at Liverpool he'd be well down the pecking order so that's another reason for him to stay where he is.

I'd say there's more chance of Gary Neville being signed as competition to Alvaro Arbeloa at right-back ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

get owen and heskey in, bring henchoz and redknapp out of retirement and get hamann and fowler back from city and blackburn. there's a title winning team....:rolleyes:

malice_ wrote: »
    I'd say there's more chance of Gary Neville being signed as competition to Alvaro Arbeloa at right-back ;).

oh my :) you may end up eating your words, according to those "in the know", we definately put in a bid at the end of the summer window!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

sweetie wrote: »
    there's a title winning team....:rolleyes:

indeed - they'll prob win the football masters in a few years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

oh my :) you may end up eating your words, according to those "in the know", we definately put in a bid at the end of the summer window!
    Was that a bid for Gary Neville or Emile Heskey? :D

Mr Emile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

About 6 or 7 yrs too late, I think people are finally appreciating Heskey for the player he is.

I think he could do a job at any of the big 4 sides.

perhaps he would be willing to be a squad player with us in the twilight of his career, he'd be a real asset in the CL i think, as well as certain league games against more physical opposition we're finding difficult to break down-his prescence would most certainly free up extra space for Keane/Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Forget abour signing Heskey or anyone else in Jan
    but the signing of Albert Riera took Liverpool's transfer budget into the red and outgoing transfers are much more likely than incomings in the current financial climate.

Benitez had tried to balance the books by selling Jermaine Pennant to Blackburn but that was scuppered when the winger declined the move.

So unless there is a cash injection from club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett the chances of Liverpool signing players – even on free transfers – are remote.
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/10/17/reds-sweat-on-javier-mascherano-and-lucas-leiva-liverpool-fc-latest-100252-22057038/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

i was actually thinking about that the other day, he is available on a free in the summer or very little in Jan, he is in the form of his life, tbh we could do a lot worse and he would provide a different option. Torres/Keane/Heskey/Babel/Kuyt/Ngog with Nemeth clipping at their heals would be impressive and certainly provide plenty of options

(note that its not quite as excessive as it looks when you consider Babel and Kuyt play on the wing for us)

No..just no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

so anyone else gonna be in madrid for the match? Even if I don't get tickets it should be a good laugh.

Scans have revealed Fernando Torres will be out of action for between 10 and 15 days, while Ryan Babel is a major doubt for this weekend's clash with Wigan.
    Doctors at Melwood discovered a tear in Torres' right hamstring which could rule him out for the next four games - Wigan (h), Atletico (a), Chelsea (a) and Portsmouth (h).

The injury was sustained after 17 minutes of Spain's World Cup qualifier in Belgium on Wednesday night.

Babel, meanwhile, should be back sooner after spraining his left ankle during Holland's match against Norway.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "A scan on Fernando Torres has shown a tear in his right hamstring which will sideline the player for between 10 and 15 days.

"Ryan Babel has sprained his left ankle and is a major doubt for Wigan on Saturday."
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161715081016-1842.htm

:( sounds like torres is pretty unlikely for chelsea so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N161715081016-1842.htm

:( sounds like torres is pretty unlikely for chelsea so :(

Bugger.

• Advertisement

Had already factored Chelsea game into my gloom index :( Hopefully by Pompey he'll be on the bench at least.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Stupid internationals, why is it that only liverpool players seem to get injuryed on international duty??

The League game are were we are really going to miss him, wigan, chelsea, pompey all tough games esspically chelsea its a 6 pointer.

Heskey + owen?!

Just even discussing them is an insult to the strike force available in the reserves.

Ffs heskey like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Small price to pay for the deadliness of International Football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

zing wrote: »

The talk was that the offer that Pennant was worth around the £4m mark.
    According to this report if that deal had gone through the transfer budget for the summer would have been balanced. Effectievly this means that Rafa was given a budget of £10m plus what he could earn with sales this summer.:(
    So far it looks like he managed to do very well with the money available to him.

If Keane bangs in a couple of goals over the next couple of games I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.

As for who might be flogged in January, I presume Itandje has to be number one candidate - I'd imagine he could be let go on a free so we don't have to pay his wages. Considering he wasnt even named as sub keeper for the Carling Cup game I'm sure he realises he's not wanted anymore.

I can't imagine Voronin's loan deal being made into a sale especially as it was a season long loan. So far he has scored once for Hertha in seven games.

Pennant has to be the next most likely I suppose, assuming he would agree a deal.

Can't see anyone else moving on unless it might be one of the younger players/reserves lookiong to get some matches.

Unless the Yanks leave I cant imagine anyone of note being signed.

Probably due a couple of promising Hungarians and a couple of other youngsters Rafa likes the look of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

As for who might be flogged in January, I presume Itandje has to be number one candidate - I'd imagine he could be let go on a free so we don't have to pay his wages.
    If only it were so easy :(
    Probably cost him as much to terminate the contract as it would to just keep paying him and let it expire.

noodler wrote: »
    Small price to pay for the deadliness of International Football.

small price to pay? Torres,Benayoun and Babel, possibly Keane, Mascherano and Lucas?

go away.

Shut up will you?

Go cry somewhere else.

LOL-sorry you're right, its a "small" price to pay for the "deadliness" of international football :rolleyes:

small price

Torres:21m
    Babel:11m
    Mascherano:12m
    Benayoun:5.5m
    Lucas:5.5m
    Keane:19m
    small price=74 million pounds.

• Advertisement

Blinkered. Jesus they're not dead. Its international football as a whole.

Anyway wah wah wah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Lads this is pointless.
    Rafa knew when he signed Mascherano & Lucas that there was high a chance of them both having to fly halfway round the world to play internationals during the season.
    Nothing is gonna change the European/World Cup qualifiers being played during the season either

Sure, why don't we just sell all our top stars and we won't have this problem, eh!!!!!!

Its always frustrating when players get injured on international duty but the level of moaning about it in this thread is embaressing. Its something all big teams have to live with. Arsenals injury list is just as bad as ours at the minute.

Chelsea have a pretty bad injury list as well.
    Makes ours look petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

We had worse injuries in 2004/2005. It's just the players were much worse too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I believe we have a few from here on a Irishkop first trip tomorrow,don't for get to introduce yourself to me.You will have a ball.

Here is the Itinerary encase you did not get the text message.

Itinary for Wigan I.K. On Tour

Weather looks good for Saturday Morning

All Meet Inside the Terminal at Irish Ferries, Dublin Port between 7.30-7.45
    the swift is not due to sail until 08.45, the reason I ask everyone to be early is because if the Swift dont sail, we can shift to the Ulyssess that departs at 0805. this is 99% reliable and not affected by weather. so if your late your stranded and no refunds.

All Being well WE arrive at 10.40 on the Swift (11.30 Ulyssess)

Coach will collect us at the terminal of Holyhead,
    2 Hour Journey straight to Anfield.

Meeting in the Vines Pub, Beside Brittania Adelphi Hotel
    Children are normally welcome, in the Vines....

Guide line details will be issued to Irishkop Virgins on the bus

Returning Approx 10.30pm - To be advised on outward journey
    dept Holyhead 0240 sailing arrive dublin 0555 sunday morning

All boarding tickets will be issed on saturday morning after I have checked everyone in..... If there are any name changes in your party now is the time to let me know...

See you all bright and early Saturday Folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

noodler wrote: »
    Anyway wah wah wah.

When someone is obviously a complete ****ing idiot, they should be banned for making posts like these.

They only have one purpose and he he didn't even disguise the fact.

small price to pay? Torres,Benayoun and Babel, possibly Keane, Mascherano and Lucas?

go away.

My wah wah wah post was in reply to this. The guy in question was moaning too much about players injured during internationals.
    When someone is obviously a complete ****ing idiot, they should be banned for making posts like these.

They only have one purpose and he he didn't even disguise the fact.

Calling someone the above is far worse. Clearly designed to provoke a conflict.

Hypocrite?

Also who said Keane is injured? He certainly doesn't appear to be.

Chelsea have a pretty bad injury list as well.
    Makes ours look petty.

Just took a look at Chelseas. Jesus christ.

M Ballack, Cech, J Bosingwa, J Cole, A Cole, Alex, Terry, D Drogba, Deco, R Carvalho & Essien are all injured.

If theres one team I will never shed a tear for when it comes to squad size/quality though.

We may well be top when this weekend is over. Boro at the Riverside are no pushovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Tusky wrote: »
    Just took a look at Chelseas. Jesus christ.

M Ballack, Cech, J Bosingwa, J Cole, A Cole, Alex, Terry, D Drogba, Deco, R Carvalho & Essien are all injured.
    Terry is due back this weekend and I reckon a few others will have recovered befoe we play them. Still some list of injuries.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement