Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i wouldn't mind terry bein back so much, hope carvalho doesn't make the game against us tho. Quality player. Their best reader of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

noodler wrote: »
    Calling someone the above is far worse. Clearly designed to provoke a conflict.

Hypocrite?

You diverted the conversation from being perfectly reasonable into something that a bunch of 12 years boys would have. I could come up with a number of reasons why you done this but it easier to dismiss you as being a complete idiot.

Congrats though, you are now the 4th person added to my ignore list. The 4th in just over a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

You diverted the conversation from being perfectly reasonable into something that a bunch of 12 years boys would have. I could come up with a number of reasons why you done this but it easier to dismiss you as being a complete idiot.

Congrats though, you are now the 4th person added to my ignore list. The 4th in just over a week.

FFS who's acting like a 12 year old now.
    No one gives 2 fucks how many folk you have on your ignore list. Busy week for ya eh :p
    Let it go jesus, let it go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

game is live on Setanta Ireland 2moro \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,776 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mr Alan wrote: »
    LOL-sorry you're right, its a "small" price to pay for the "deadliness" of international football :rolleyes:

small price

Torres:21m
    Babel:11m
    Mascherano:12m
    Benayoun:5.5m
    Lucas:5.5m
    Keane:19m
    small price=74 million pounds.

I don't think Keane is injured apart from Torres who is a huge loss, Babel, Benayoun and Lucas are fringe players, and Mascherano seems to have lost his place to Alonso. So it is not like 5 of the first team are out, it is a bad injury list but manageable.

4 in a week eh? Did you announce all 4 of them? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Boggles wrote: »
    4 in a week eh? Did you announce all 4 of them? :rolleyes:

I have a feeling he won't see that question :p

He will now, you just quoted me. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stupid rum

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Let it go jesus, let it go.

It has been let go :D Have just become so sick of some of the stuff that goes on on this thread.

Cheers ;)

Anyway, I wouldn't be particularly against the signing of Owen or Heskey. I think that both would add quite a bit to the team/squad.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Well I wouldn't if you hadn't quoted it Skittlebrau :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

It has been let go :D Have just become so sick of some of the stuff that goes on on this thread.

jesus, I know what your sayin. The last thing I wanna read in the Liverpool thread is about ignore lists.
    Sure, where's the fun in havin lists eh? I'd say it'd become a bit of a pain in the arse trying to follow this thread some days.

Anywho, come on the Reds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tusky wrote: »
    Just took a look at Chelseas. Jesus christ.

M Ballack, Cech, J Bosingwa, J Cole, A Cole, Alex, Terry, D Drogba, Deco, R Carvalho & Essien are all injured.

Terry, Alex and Boswinga are playing today while Deco is on the bench. I'd imagine a lot of the others will be back by next weekend. Its the last 2 I'd be most worried about but thankfully neither have played in a while and might be a little rusty, hopefully enough to let Dirk pox a few past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looking forward to seeing Agger get a start, will be good for him to have a run in the side too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else a bit worried about the Chelsea game? :(

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,679 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit worried about the Chelsea game? :(

Mike

Would have been if we were two or three points behind them. When is Babel die back?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think we can say for certain that Rafa played a blinder in getting Riera for the price he did, can see now why Espanyol wanted 15mil. Been absolutely fantastic for us, thought he was really excellent again today, loads of running, plenty of skill and cleverness and his first goal to top it off (with his bad foot and everything!)

On the other hand jury still out over Dossena. Willing to give him more time, and at least we also have Aurelio and Insua for the position.

<edit>

Good point above, Babel would be a big boost to have for against Chelsea. We had NO pace whatsoever today on the break, Keane and Kuyt are simply no faster then your average defender. Babel adds that cutting edge. Id go babel up top, Keane behind him, Riera left and Kuyt right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I'm not too worried about the Chelsea game. That will be the real test of whether our quiet hopes are realistic. We've been very fortunate on a few occasions already this season, picking up points where we mightn't have deserved them. But definitely in previous seasons we've been unlucky by rarely picking up these points and dropping points undeservedly.

Chelsea look fantastic at the moment. It's hard to see where they will drop points, so easily are they dismissing competent UEFA level teams. Two aspects of our season so far gives me confidence though:

1. Our comebacks. We're fighting until the end and the players believe they will score.

2. Rafa's going for it. Amongst other instances, the 2-1-7 approach today was very un-Rafa. It was spot-on tactics wise against a tired 10 men but how often in the past has Rafa played for a draw under such circumstances?

Better than sex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Better than sex
    but not better than a game of CS.

that right Craig? ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Looking forward to seeing Agger get a start, will be good for him to have a run in the side too.

He could do with a few more runs in the side. Glad that booboo with Reina is out of the way before next weekend. Wouldn't be too surprised to see the old head of Hyppia next week, especially since Agger is almost certain to play midweek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

noodler wrote: »
    We may well be top when this weekend is over. Boro at the Riverside are no pushovers.

Indeed. :)

3 important points today. Chelsea and Utd are winning convincingly tho. Why cant the just piss off for a year and let us run away with it.:pac:
    Agger is getting a bit of stick but at the end of the day he is just back from a year out. That'll make anyone a bit rusty. He looked good for Kuyts goal (i think? only saw a brief clip on the news as I was heading out the door). Another few games and he'll be fine.

Torres is turning into the new Jamie Redknapp, gets injured every time he sees an international jersey.

Anyone else noticed that Valencia was the fourth player this season to be sent off after a tackle on Xabi?
    Vidic, Cahill and Zabaleta have already seen the error of lunging at Alonso.

I think they were all warranted cards (reds or second yellows) but I wonder how he's managed to avoid being seriously injured so far, Zabaleta's tackle in particular springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I know i'm a little easy on Agger because we won but to be fair he was mature and drove forward to make up for his mistake.
    He also had header cleared of the line.

I hope he can move on after this and really make that cb spot his own. His a class act and I think having him in the team is a great great thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Anyone else noticed that Valencia was the fourth player this season to be sent off after a tackle on Xabi?

Yeah first thing I thought of when it happened, some coincidence!

To be fair to Agger I think Reina had a small part to play in the error for the goal. He knew Agger had his back to the field of play and that Zaki was fast approaching and he stilll kicked it to him in that area.

I'm very dissapointed with Dossena, looks to be useless. I wonder could we get a refund if we brought him back??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

oobydooby wrote: »

Chelsea look fantastic at the moment. It's hard to see where they will drop points, so easily are they dismissing competent UEFA level teams. Two aspects of our season so far gives me confidence though:

1. Our comebacks. We're fighting until the end and the players believe they will score.

before yesteday liverpool had won 7 points from goals in last ten mins in league this season. add the three from yesterday and that's the difference from last year between finishing 4th and challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liverpool are showing elements of title winning form.

1. Winning when they are playing poorly.
    2. Winning when they go down.

However what they are not doing is 3. Winning games with ease.

There's only so many times you'll get away with 1 or 2, eventually you drop points, as Liverpool already have. They've got to start doing 3. Still, not a bad position to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Liverpool are showing elements of title winning form.

1. Winning when they are playing poorly.
    2. Winning when they go down.

However what they are not doing is 3. Winning games with ease.

There's only so many times you'll get away with 1 or 2, eventually you drop points, as Liverpool already have. They've got to start doing 3. Still, not a bad position to be in.

Every team goes through bad patches. To win the league these days, you need to ride your luck when you're not playing well. Historically Liverpool have been slow starters - how many times have we heard that Liverpool would have won the league if it started in November? - but this season, we've kept up the pace and got the results even when not playing well. A sign of champions, as they say.

There are two other points that bode well for us in comparison to previous seasons.

Firstly, we've got off to a winning start against the big four. Apart from the practical implications - the winner of the big four mini-league tends to win the title - it gives us a huge psychological boost. Liverpool never really play with the belief that they can win every game, as they do in Europe. A point or three against Chelsea next weekend, and I think we'd really have the confidence to put in a proper challenge.

Secondly, we're winning games on the back of European ties & international ties, and winning when we go behind. We came from behind in both of our last games to win 3-2, and that is something that Liverpool almost never do! We too often found it difficult to find that second gear when we were chasing a game, or when we were struggling for fitness.

Still, there's a lot of football to be played before there can be any talk of the title. I'm just happy that we're seeing a marked improvement in terms of attitude, confidence, form and results when compared to previous years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Every team goes through bad patches. To win the league these days, you need to ride your luck when you're not playing well. Historically Liverpool have been slow starters - how many times have we heard that Liverpool would have won the league if it started in November? - but this season, we've kept up the pace and got the results even when not playing well. A sign of champions, as they say.

There are two other points that bode well for us in comparison to previous seasons.

Firstly, we've got off to a winning start against the big four. Apart from the practical implications - the winner of the big four mini-league tends to win the title - it gives us a huge psychological boost. Liverpool never really play with the belief that they can win every game, as they do in Europe. A point or three against Chelsea next weekend, and I think we'd really have the confidence to put in a proper challenge.

Secondly, we're winning games on the back of European ties & international ties, and winning when we go behind. We came from behind in both of our last games to win 3-2, and that is something that Liverpool almost never do! We too often found it difficult to find that second gear when we were chasing a game, or when we were struggling for fitness.

Still, there's a lot of football to be played before there can be any talk of the title. I'm just happy that we're seeing a marked improvement in terms of attitude, confidence, form and results when compared to previous years.

+1 - I still think it's way too early to be talking about a serious challenge but we've had a great start and I still think were a fair bit off our best form, Rafa and the players have been far more positive this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

One big positive from yesterday's game was even after we went 3-2 up there was no sitting back. With the players on the pitch it would have been tough anyway but in previous years it would have been the mentality we adopted.
    Now if only we could attack like that before we're a goal or 2 down :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Benitez mind-set has completely changed thank god. He took off the 2 full-backs the last day - Alonsoo to drop back to help the Central Defenders - I think all the draws last season has made him see sense. He realises now that the only way of winnin the league is to go for it. At least now we have a chance, it's a pity bout Chelsea though, they look relentless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Great Athmosphere in Anfield on Saturday.
    Even at 2-1 down, with the clock running down, the crowd just knew we were gonna come back.
    And at 2-2, we knew we were gonna get the victory.

All too often in past years the aprehension is unbearable, and there's no real expectation, only hope.
    On Saturday we were just waiting for the inevitable.

On Agger, he obviously made the horrible mistake, but he made up for it with the assist.
    Great play from a CB, dancing through the box.
    And the way that the boys celebrated with him before Kuyt really shows how happy they were for him.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for Pennant.
    Didn't do much wrong all game, got in some great crosses, and actually managed to beat the first man with corner kicks a couple of times (:eek:!!!)
    Nothing spectacular, but still the crowd were on his back.
    When he delivered in the cross for the winner, all I heard was, "yeah but he should have done it earlier"!
    What's the guy gotta do?
    It was his first start in a while, and though I fully expect him to be gone come January, but he did a good job.

Fair play to Kuyt.
    Ran like a demon as usual, and took his chances.
    Seems to be getting back to his previous form, before the personal tradgedy last year.

Pepe is a legend, his clearing header would have made any center half proud.
    There's a real touch of Grobelar about him!:D

El Zhar really made a difference.
    He really is good at coming on and changing games.
    Even on his less preffered left side, he caused a lot of problems for Wigan.

And Rafa reall did go all out.
    A 2-1-1-4-2 formation is about as attacking as you can get!:P

Fair play to the lads.
    Good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

rafa admits to turning down the chance to sign aguero and to checking out zaki's availability for january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whatever about some peoples opinion of Jermaine Pennant (and it is horrible to see fellow Liverpool fans lambaste any of our players) - he certainly can cross the ball.

The players need to seriously wake up, if they think we can build a season on comebacks - we gambled and it paid off, that's a few times now that having an extra man pushes us on.

We have real problems at full back, Dossenna looks like he'll need a season to get used to playing in a back 4, and to show discipline when attacking. Arbeloa too has looked a little less comfortable since becoming 1st choice RB. It can't be helped when you have a different formation in front of you, either a RWF or a RM.

We're winning, and that's all you can ask, but are by no means hitting top gear.

Looking forward to Wednesday, but I think it could be another frustrating performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

slingerz wrote: »
    rafa admits to turning down the chance to sign aguero and to checking out zaki's availability for january

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4974761.ece
    Rafael Benítez passed on Atlético Madrid's Sergio Agüero

As Liverpool prepare for Wednesday’s Champions League match away to Atlético Madrid, Rafael Benítez has admitted that the club passed up the chance to sign Sergio Agüero, the Argentina forward who has become one of the game’s hottest properties.

Agüero was linked with a move to Anfield as a 17-year-old with Independiente in the spring of 2006 and was reportedly receptive to the idea, but he joined Atlético that summer. Now 20, he has blossomed since Fernando Torres left Atlético for Merseyside and was the third-highest scorer in La Liga last season.

“Two years ago the agents were talking with us about players and he was one of those but he was too young and [Atlético] paid big money for him, around 18 million euros [about £14 million] for a player who was a risk,” the Liverpool manager said. “In the Premier League it’s different and sometimes players will need more time here to improve.”

Liverpool could face old boys on Wednesday in the shape of Luis García and Florent Sinama-Pongolle, who failed to shine at Anfield but has impressed in Spain. The striker left Liverpool for Recreativo Huelva on a loan in 2006 that became permanent the next year, and joined Atlético last July. “We had a lot of confidence in him, we knew that he’s a good player but he needed to play games,” Benítez said. “We had Crouch, we were bringing in Torres, it was a question of space.”

Liverpool kept pace with Chelsea at the top of the Barclays Premier League with a 3-2 win on Saturday over Wigan Athletic. Steve Bruce, the Wigan manager, said bigger clubs are circling his best players before the January transfer window. Emile Heskey has been linked with a move to Liverpool and speculation will grow about the future of Amr Zaki after his spectacular start to the season. Zaki scored twice against Liverpool, with his second goal one of the best of the season so far.

The Egypt forward is the Premier League’s leading goalscorer, with seven in eight league matches, but is only on a season-long loan at Wigan from El Zamalek, of Cairo, where he is contracted until 2012. “Everybody will be checking his situation now,” Benítez said. Wigan are thought to have paid about £1.25 million to sign Zaki on loan, with another £500,000 due if he reaches ten league goals, but they do not have an option for a permanent deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Was at the game on saturday and have to say I am very worried about our fullbacks.

Arbeloa was caught ball watching for the second goal and he should have headed it clear (great finish by zaki though!). Also Arbeloa has 4 yellow card in 7 games, if he go one on saturday we would have been in a mess for chelsea.
    Dossenna looked a bit shaky too. It's worrying when Reira looked like a better defender that him!

I felt Pennant played ok but his first touch can be really bad at some stage (at the same time I don't agree with him getting abuse).

Sack Rafa! :pac:

I'd not get too excited by Zaki, as good as he has been lets see how he copes with the muck and bullets of Jan/Feb/March.

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How did the couple of Irishkop virgins from here get on Sat,did you have a good time..?I don't think I got to meat you but I was fairly well on so could have been talking to you and cant remember.

Dub13 wrote: »
    How did the couple of Irishkop virgins from here get on Sat,did you have a good time..?I don't think I got to meat you but I was fairly well on so could have been talking to you and cant remember.

:eek: What the hell goes on at these things?

I had a great time anyway.
    Gotta say the bus home was fun.
    Never seen so much complaining being ignored so vehimently!:D

• Advertisement

I had a great time anyway.
    Gotta say the bus home was fun.
    Never seen so much complaining being ignored so vehimently!:D

Yea some of the lads like a sing song,I was the one who did the collection for the driver.Hope this is the first of many trips you have with us.

Yea some of the lads like a sing song,I was the one who did the collection for the driver.Hope this is the first of many trips you have with us.

Well it won't be my last anyway.

Good laugh.

It was a good trip alright. Looking forward to my next one!

Good to hear,did ether of you catch the SOS lads in the Big House/Vines Pub..?they gave a nice talk.

Good to hear,did ether of you catch the SOS lads in the Big House/Vines Pub..?they gave a nice talk.

No, unfortunately I only got to the Big House at 10.
    Got held up in town.

Yea it was good alright, I got chatting to one of them for a bit after it.

emc2 wrote: »
    Yea it was good alright, I got chatting to one of them for a bit after it.

Yea I had a good chat to them all.They want to link up with us.

Its a super pub.

Our next meet up is in Sinnotts on St. Stephens Green this Sunday for the Chelski game,all are welcome should be a good session.

Yea I had a good chat to them all.They want to link up with us.

Its a super pub.

Our next meet up is in Sinnotts on St. Stephens Green this Sunday for the Chelski game,all are welcome should be a good session.

I'll be up for the marathon, so myself and Jaza should be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

From Tony Barrett today:
    Meanwhile, sources in the Middle East today indicated that Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s interest in Liverpool is unwavering.

An offer remains on the table for the Reds but the ruler of Dubai is unwilling to pay any more than he believes the club is worth.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news//tm_headline=daniel-agger-s-relief-after-stupid-mistake%26method=full%26objectid=22073952%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Nothing new there really.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement