Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

TB's piece seems to have come as a result of several posts on RAWK over the last few days. Several 'ITKs' claiming this that or the other and Tony coming in basically saying the Echo know as much as the rest of us at the moment. Or maybe it was in response to his predecessor's piece yesterday in the Sunday S*n which claimed the Sheik had withdraw his offer.

Same with Ballaque - both are just stating what we already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Benitez mind-set has completely changed thank god.

I have been discussing this for a few seasons now... His mindset hasn't changed. What has changed is his confidence in the team. I think that he is now finally confident that the Liverpool squad is of sufficient quality to mount a series assault on the PL.

The way I see it is this. Forgive me if I don't explain myself properly but I will do my best.

Benitez knows that in order to complete on multiple fronts, you must have a large squad that contains quality cover for every position on the pitch. The benefit of the a large squad with quality throughout is to facilitate the resting of key, first choice players against lesser opposition and to minimise the impact that injuries have on the pitch.

We all know that the first choice players don't like rotation. They have accepted that it is a neccessary evil but it has taken quite sometime for them to accept even this. To this day, we still see Stevie G having a mini breakdown when rested.

When Rafa took over, he started a process of overhauling virtually the whole squad. It tool 3/4 years but he has now arrived at a position where virtually every player is here because he wants them. He has always maintain a squad size of 25 odd players of more.

In my opinion, it is clear that Rafa is firmy behind the principle of rotation. Over the years, even early in the season, we have seen Rafa rest key players and inevitably drop points as a direct result of the players that were being brought in weren't up to the task.

When rotating in those early years, I genuinely feel that Rafa had accepted that they squad wasn't good enough to compete for the league. There has always been calls that he should play his strongest 11 as much as possible. At the same time, there was assertions that the best 11 were good enough to mount a serious challenge.

What was never factored into those assertions was how playing the best 11 for 60 odd games a season would work out. I have no doubt that if he done so, come Jan or Feb we would be within touching distance of first place. However, due to tiredness and injuries, second choice players would be depended on for the tail end of the season far more than they should be and any challenge would inevitably pitter away to nothing.

So, I really do think that Rafa persisted in rotating players knowing that he would drop a large amount of points in order to accustom players to being rotated. He essentialy done so knowing that the club would be out of contention for the PL before Christmas. However, he was able to do this knowing that it would be extremely likely that the best 11, that were incidently good enough to compete in anything they wanted. would be fully fit and available for a final push in the likes of the FA Cup or the CL.

This time has obviously been hard for Pool fans but I think we are better off for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a bloody excellent post jtg, fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Charlie Nicholas on our chances this season;

http://www.skysports.com/blogs/blog_story/0,19793,15210_4361292,00.html

I agree with what he is basically saying about our full backs. It would be wonderful if Aurelio could stay fit because he has shown signs of quality but he is a crock. Dossena has not settled in as quickly as I would have hoped and Arbeloa, while I don't agree that he is average, is too inconsistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Charlie Nicholas? *spits at floor*

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

Ya, ruined Rushie's record just before he left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Mike

I know I know, most of those Sky Sports pundits are tools. But Thommo and Kammy are bang on!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1079164/Liverpool-old-boy-Luis-Garcia-reckons-Rafas-Reds-Premier-League-champions.html
    'I am always happy to score goals and I am an Atletico player now. In my heart I would feel strange, and I would say 'sorry' because I wouldn't feel any joy scoring against Liverpool.'

He said: "The game in Liverpool will be very special for me, in terms of sentimentality, the biggest of my career.

"I was not able to say goodbye properly when I left because I was injured at the end of the season, it was the worst way possible to finish my career there."

"I was so happy there and am desperate to play one more game at Anfield."

There will clearly be mixed emotions over the two games for the Spanish international, but none over his desire to see Liverpool crowned Premier League champions.

He said: "When I first joined, Chelsea were far better than us, the gap is closing and Liverpool can now win the league."

I'd LOVE him to be still playing for us :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

hes a good lad. got very angry at him quite often when he played for us but i dont think ive ever been happier then when he scored against juventus. wat a goal... against buffon too.

k, maybe i was happier when dudek saved schevchenkos penalty ^^

2 former heros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,776 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So, I really do think that Rafa persisted in rotating players knowing that he would drop a large amount of points in order to accustom players to being rotated. He essentialy done so knowing that the club would be out of contention for the PL before Christmas. However, he was able to do this knowing that it would be extremely likely that the best 11, that were incidently good enough to compete in anything they wanted. would be fully fit and available for a final push in the likes of the FA Cup or the CL.

This time has obviously been hard for Pool fans but I think we are better off for it.

I think you are letting Rafa off the hook way too lightly by saying he was someway justified to throw in the towel for the league before Christmas (especially last year) because he knew he didn't have the personal.

He got it wrong last December away to Reading tactically, he tried to play some arseways midfield trio of Gerrard, Sissoko and Masch. With Torres and Vorinon supporting Crouch. When they went behind, Instead of chasing the game and trying to get something out of it, he took off his 2 star players.

To put that game in context, if he got the win it would have put Liverpool ahead of Chelsea and United, and 2nd in the league behind Arsenal, with the same games played and a greater goal difference than all 3.

The boost they would have got from being ahead of United and playing them a week later at home would have been significant.

I think it is naive to state that he didn't try hard enough in the league on purpose to concentrate on other competitions, fact of the matter is he got it wrong against Reading, in a league where it is won by tight margins, the reason Liverpool were not there or there abouts by Christmas was down to the dificiencies in Rafa's managerial skills, and it is this reason Liverpool could concentrate on the CL, not because Rafa choose to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Boggles wrote: »
    I think you are letting Rafa off the hook way too lightly by saying he was someway justified to throw in the towel for the league before Christmas (especially last year) because he knew he didn't have the personal.

He got it wrong last December away to Reading tactically, he tried to play some arseways midfield trio of Gerrard, Sissoko and Masch. With Torres and Vorinon supporting Crouch. When they went behind, Instead of chasing the game and trying to get something out of it, he took off his 2 star players.

To put that game in context, if he got the win it would have put Liverpool ahead of Chelsea and United, and 2nd in the league behind Arsenal, with the same games played and a greater goal difference than all 3.

The boost they would have got from being ahead of United and playing them a week later at home would have been significant.

I think it is naive to state that he didn't try hard enough in the league on purpose to concentrate on other competitions, fact of the matter is he got it wrong against Reading, in a league where it is won by tight margins, the reason Liverpool were not there or there abouts by Christmas was down to the dificiencies in Rafa's managerial skills, and it is this reason Liverpool could concentrate on the CL, not because Rafa choose to.

When i read this, after reading JTG's post, i get the impression that you didn't understand his post or didn't read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Anyone see the Times' claim today that if all our matches finished after 58 minutes we'd be 14 points worse off? Who comes up with such random nonsense?
    Sure if all our games finished after ten seconds we'd be on 8 points...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

You seem to be saying a league is won on 1 game. Utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Anyone see the Times' claim today that if all our matches finished after 58 minutes we'd be 14 points worse off? Who comes up with such random nonsense?
    Sure if all our games finished after ten seconds we'd be on 8 points...

I think the whole idea of this was to show the point that we have been slow in the first half of games and that we tend to win most of our points in the second half - in the last half hour of games....and this is exactly the point!

If all games only consisted of the last 10 mins we'd be top, oh hang on... ;)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Out of curiousity, what would you have had to say on this thread if, for example, Liverpool had beaten Reading but lost or drawn to Marseille the following week and thereby not gotten past the group stages of the Champions League?

Also, as joker77 pointed out, the league isn't decided by one game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Mr Alan wrote: »

Luis Garcia
    He drinks Sangria
    He came from Barca
    To Liverpool
    He's 5 ft 7
    He's football heaven
    Why did they take our Luis away.

:(:(:(

I really hope he gets the reception he deserves in Anfield, as I'm sure he will.
    Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear that ringing around Anfield one last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I've been in Asia for the last 15 weeks or so and I can reveal that United, Arsenal and in particular, Chelsea jerseys are most common in India and Nepal while Liverpool seem to have the Thailand market sewn up. That is all :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Luis will get a great reception at Anfield we never got a chance to say goodbye to the little lad.

malice_ wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, what would you have had to say on this thread if, for example, Liverpool had beaten Reading but lost or drawn to Marseille the following week and thereby not gotten past the group stages of the Champions League?

Firstly a draw would have done Liverpool against Marseille, If they couldn't manage at least 1 point against the french, then I would have said they didnt' deserve to be in the next round of the CL, and not many could argue with that.
    malice_ wrote: »
    Also, as joker77 pointed out, the league isn't decided by one game!

One game doesn't win the league but 2 points serperated first from second last year. I highlighted the Reading game because of the importance of it, it was actually discussed on here and agreed upon that he got it wrong.

• Advertisement

Firstly a draw would have done Liverpool against Marseille, If they couldn't manage at least 1 point against the french at Anfield, then I would have said they didnt' deserve to be in the next round of the CL, and not many could argue with that.

sur they didn't get a point off the French at Anfield Marseille bet them if Im not mistaken. The return game was a must win in France

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/dec/10/match.liverpool

Benítez said the Marseille fixture, which Liverpool must win to be sure of qualifying for the Champions League knockout stages, was uppermost in his mind when he withdrew Gerrard but the idea that a Premier League match against Reading can be sacrificed will alarm the club's fans as well as George Gillett and Tom Hicks, the American owners. "Tuesday is like a cup final, not like Reading where you can resign yourself to losing three points," said Benítez.

sur they didn't get a point off the French at Anfield Marseille bet them if Im not mistaken. The return game was a must win in France

I stand corrected, it was away. Point stands thou, if Marseille beat Liverpool twice they deserved to in the next round.

If they couldn't manage at least 1 point against the french, then I would have said they didnt' deserve to be in the next round of the CL, and not many could argue with that

thats what you said a minute ago - can't change it to over the 2 matches now!

EDIT - Key word missing as you removed at Anfield which was in your original post

Seriously who gives flying fig?

Mike

flyingfig_001_lg.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Was also at the match on Sat. Still recovering. Saw you a few rows in front of me Dub13 in the Kop, unreal atmosphere for second half.

Anyway, my story of weekend, and you can take it with as much salt as you want. We got over Friday evening and hit the bar straight away. In Matthew st til the closing hours, when we get invited to a party near Aintree. Its about five am when we get there and who is there only Agger :eek: Now he wasn't drinking (alcohol) but i thought he must have been injured late or something and wasn't playing the following day. Got a shock when I saw the starting eleven the next day. Then when he had the howler, I was steaming. To be fair to him he completely made up for it and I thought he was very solid throughout apart from the blip.

Still though, I don't think its good preparation and I'd hate to think it goes on the whole time.

Calm Down Calm Down

careca wrote: »
    Was also at the match on Sat. Still recovering. Saw you a few rows in front of me Dub13 in the Kop, unreal atmosphere for second half.

Anyway, my story of weekend, and you can take it with as much salt as you want. We got over Friday evening and hit the bar straight away. In Matthew st til the closing hours, when we get invited to a party near Aintree. Its about five am when we get there and who is there only Agger :eek: Now he wasn't drinking (alcohol) but i thought he must have been injured late or something and wasn't playing the following day. Got a shock when I saw the starting eleven the next day. Then when he had the howler, I was steaming. To be fair to him he completely made up for it and I thought he was very solid throughout apart from the blip.

Still though, I don't think its good preparation and I'd hate to think it goes on the whole time.

That's a serious spot you had there of Agger? If thats true Im shocked!

He just went up a notch in my book, legend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

He just went up a notch in my book, legend! :D

LOL and I didnt even mention the cracker he was with.

LOL and I didnt even mention the cracker he was with.

I suspected thats why he was out til 5. :D

There have been rumours about Agger having problems with partying and drinking before.:confused:

all sorts of rumours about Agger knocking about the last year.

partying,coke,booze,failed drugs tests.

always have **** like that materialise when people suffer from a long term injury.

Some of you maybe be interested in this.

A lad on IK has done up some super signatures have a look Here.He will do you up one if you request it they are great the lad has a talent for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some of you maybe be interested in this.

A lad on IK has done up some super signatures have a look Here.He will do you up one if you request it they are great the lad has a talent for them.

some quality work there all right yea sure it's ok to nab some of his work?
    if so that Shank's image is winner in my book

• Advertisement

woodyg wrote: »
    some quality work there all right yea sure it's ok to nab some of his work?
    if so that Shank's image is winner in my book

Yea its fine to take any,he is sound about them.

Torres to stay home, he was invited by the Atletico president as a VIP to wave to the crowd etc, but Rafa wants him in the physios room.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Torres to stay home, he was invited by the Atletico president as a VIP to wave to the crowd etc, but Rafa wants him in the physios room.

Mike

Damn straight!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

I have been discussing this for a few seasons now... His mindset hasn't changed. What has changed is his confidence in the team. I think that he is now finally confident that the Liverpool squad is of sufficient quality to mount a series assault on the PL.

The way I see it is this. Forgive me if I don't explain myself properly but I will do my best.

Benitez knows that in order to complete on multiple fronts, you must have a large squad that contains quality cover for every position on the pitch. The benefit of the a large squad with quality throughout is to facilitate the resting of key, first choice players against lesser opposition and to minimise the impact that injuries have on the pitch.

We all know that the first choice players don't like rotation. They have accepted that it is a neccessary evil but it has taken quite sometime for them to accept even this. To this day, we still see Stevie G having a mini breakdown when rested.

When Rafa took over, he started a process of overhauling virtually the whole squad. It tool 3/4 years but he has now arrived at a position where virtually every player is here because he wants them. He has always maintain a squad size of 25 odd players of more.

In my opinion, it is clear that Rafa is firmy behind the principle of rotation. Over the years, even early in the season, we have seen Rafa rest key players and inevitably drop points as a direct result of the players that were being brought in weren't up to the task.

When rotating in those early years, I genuinely feel that Rafa had accepted that they squad wasn't good enough to compete for the league. There has always been calls that he should play his strongest 11 as much as possible. At the same time, there was assertions that the best 11 were good enough to mount a serious challenge.

What was never factored into those assertions was how playing the best 11 for 60 odd games a season would work out. I have no doubt that if he done so, come Jan or Feb we would be within touching distance of first place. However, due to tiredness and injuries, second choice players would be depended on for the tail end of the season far more than they should be and any challenge would inevitably pitter away to nothing.

thats a good post, but i dont see why players have to get used to rotation?
    its not like they are kids, he could just tell them, tough ****e, you are being rotated

and in doing so, has he not now put a large amount of pressure on himself?
    regardless of how well he has done, if liverpool fade away at the end of the year this year, in feb or march, i believe there will be serious questions asked about him, and perhaps rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

event wrote: »
    thats a good post, but i dont see why players have to get used to rotation?
    its not like they are kids, he could just tell them, tough ****e, you are being rotated

and in doing so, has he not now put a large amount of pressure on himself?
    regardless of how well he has done, if liverpool fade away at the end of the year this year, in feb or march, i believe there will be serious questions asked about him, and perhaps rightly so.
    I think the "getting used to being rotated" is more to do with getting players accustomed to turning in a good performance even if they aren't playing every game.

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »
    I think the "getting used to being rotated" is more to do with getting players accustomed to turning in a good performance even if they aren't playing every game.

And to stop some of the more egotistical players from crying.

Rupert Murdoch pays out to Rafa Benitez

RAFA Benitez has reached an out-of-court settlement with a Sunday newspaper after an article about him earlier this year.

On February 10 the News of the World claimed the Liverpool boss had blamed the club's owners for ruining last season's title hopes.

Rupert Murdoch's paper has now admitted the article was based on an interview Benitez had given to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, which they then translated inaccurately.

Benitez had launched legal action against the News of the World but the matter has now been settled out of court, with the newspaper printing an apology and making a five-figure payment to a Merseyside school for children with special needs at the request of the Reds boss

http://www.liverpoolbanter.co.uk/2008/10/rupert-murdoch-pays-out-to-raf.html

Nice gesture from el Boss

Mike

would you expect anything different from the bloke Mike?

;)

Wine and Roses for Montse? :)

Mike

Montse only gets gifts at the seasons end!

lets hope Rafa has a monster gift in store for her this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Montse only gets gifts at the seasons end!

lets hope Rafa has a monster gift in store for her this year :)

So much innunedo ..... over loading .... gahhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So much innunedo ..... over loading .... gahhhhh!

Oh grow up!

What Mr Alan is referring to is that whenever Rafa wins anything, at the end of the season, his wife gives him a bit of wrist action each time.
    She buys him a new watch

You and your immature innuendo's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

monkey9 wrote: »
    She buys him a new watch
    Other way round isn't it ? He's the one buying the time pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

monkey9 wrote: »
    Oh grow up!

What Mr Alan is referring to is that whenever Rafa wins anything, at the end of the season, his wife gives him a bit of wrist action each time.
    She buys him a new watch

You and your immature innuendo's!!

Mabye he could give get her a pearl necklace.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement