Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

He has options, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

zing wrote: »
    Other way round isn't it ? He's the one buying the time pieces

No, i'm pretty sure she buys it for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Quick google...
    It's so important to me to have my wife behind me all the time. In return," he smiles, "for her support, I buy her a watch when I win a cup."
    http://www.noticias.info/archivo/2005/200505/20050524/20050524_68836.shtm
    So he's buying. Not that it really matters but I guess it's important that she always has the latest in watch fashion

And a little more innuendo thrown in for those who likes that sort of thing ;)

zing wrote: »
    Quick google...

http://www.noticias.info/archivo/2005/200505/20050524/20050524_68836.shtm
    So he's buying. Not that it really matters but I guess it's important to that she always has the latest in watch fashion

And a little more innuendo thrown in for those who likes that sort of thing ;)

Well, i'm not apologising for my incorrect detail! No way. It was vital for my innuendo. I'm not even sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Here we go again
    Owners launch bid to find buyer for Liverpool
    Tony Evans and Helen Power

Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr, the Liverpool owners, have signalled that they are ready to sell their stake at Anfield after engaging Merrill Lynch, the investment bank, to find a buyer for the club.

The Americans need to restructure their £350million loan with the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), which expires on January 25. However, the bank, at present under public ownership because of the credit crunch, has adopted a policy of restructuring loans only in extremely favourable conditions. While discussions with Gillett and Hicks have not yet opened, their circumstances are not believed to fall into this category. The owners have always denied that the club were available for sale but the latest move signals an acceptance that the American duo's future control is unsustainable.

Although the Liverpool owners denied yesterday that Merrill Lynch has been engaged, The Times understands that auditors looked at Liverpool's books last week with a view to finding a buyer. So far, the search appears to be unsuccessful.

Sheikh Mohammed, the Crown Prince of Dubai, has maintained a longstanding interest in acquiring Liverpool but has balked at the price tag set by the American pair, which is upwards of £550 million.

The owners admitted last month that plans for a new stadium in Stanley Park have been put on hold indefinitely. RBS is bracing itself for a campaign of protest by the Spirit of Shankly, a Liverpool supporters' union.

An offer from Dubai of £500million has been on the table for many months, but there has been minimal contact between the Sheikh's representative, Amanda Staveley, and the American camp over the past few months.

Rumours of interest from Robert Kraft have swirled around Anfield in the past few weeks but it is not believed that the owner of the New England Patriots American football team is a viable bidder for Liverpool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article4988378.ece

Reputable enough source (The Times) - would be a lot more hopeful if it had the likes of Ollie Kay's name to it.

And why does this stuff always come out on the eve of a big game ? Surprised they didn't wait until Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is quite encouraging, if this is correct they are selling and there is only one game in town.

Mike

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Teamtalk wrote:
    Mourinho: Fantastic four are divers

Inter Milan's Jose Mourinho says Didier Drogba, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and Robin van Persie "are the divers" in English football.

Chelsea striker Drogba has often been criticised for going to ground too easily but was vigorously defended by former Blues boss Mourinho during his time at Stamford Bridge.

Now, just over a year after leaving Chelsea, Mourinho has turned on the 30-year-old while also hitting out at Ronaldo, Torres and van Persie for the same thing.

He told feelfootball.com: "I am no longer Chelsea coach, and I do not have to defend them any more, but I think it is correct if I say Drogba is a diver.

"Drogba, Ronaldo, Torres and van Persie are the divers. Who dives more? Who has won more penalties in recent years? But English football is the one that criticises the divers the most."

Mourinho claims he is against diving but encourages his players to go to ground if they are fouled.

He added: "I hate diving, but I'm not happy if a player is kicked by somebody in the box and he tries to remain standing.

"It's very, very rare a referee gives a decision if the player doesn't go down so I tell players not to be naive, but to be fair."

So apparently Torres is a big fat diver - nonsense in my eyes or am I being a tad biased? Also would disagree with Van Persie.

And this the man who said yesterday his next job will be back in the Prem. Better be careful about how many strikers he pisses off.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mike65 wrote: »
    This is quite encouraging, if this is correct they are selling and there is only one game in town.

Mike

Indeed. With it being a buyers market at the moment and G&H having little choice in selling, i cant see anyone matching their valuation rather then what Maktoum thinks its worth. In fact another buyer could probably match the Dubai bid and have it accepted, such is the animosity which has grown!

On Torres, i've never seen him go down without contact. Seen him go down under minimal contact once or twice (eg Materazzi), but as a rule even that is fairly rare. If anything he gets far less free's then he deserves.

Torres regularly gets 7 types of sh1te kicked out of him and gets straight back up again more often that not. That said I've noticed a couple of incidents where it's looked like he's gone down a bit too easy but they've been extremely rare and I certainly wouldn't consider them enough to brand him as a diver.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some of you maybe be interested in this.

A lad on IK has done up some super signatures have a look Here.He will do you up one if you request it they are great the lad has a talent for them.

The lad is also doing some fine Wallpapers on this thread LFC Wallpapers. if you request one he will give it a go.Here is my Fav so far...

lfcpremiershipwallpaperox8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Great news about the Yanks looking for a buyer. Finally

So getting all hypothical and ahead of myself - suppose the Yanks agree a deal and the Sheikh takes over prior to the January transfer window and basically says to Rafa - alright son you have unlimited funds in this transfer window.

Who would target in the January transfer window?

So getting all hypothical and ahead of myself - suppose the Yanks agree a deal and the Sheikh takes over prior to the January transfer window and basically says to Rafa - alright son you have unlimited funds in this transfer window.

Paul McShane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Skimmed over the article, Am I right in saying the Arabs offered 500m, and the Yanks want 550m?

Bit of pointless horsetrading.

Looking forward to the game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

To be honest, i dont think we need that much.
    Micah Richards(wouldnt leave now though)
    Franck Ribery

That would do me and id be happy with our starting XI then(If Dossena doesnt improve drastically then out he goes with Lahm to replace him)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd like to see Bastian Schweinsteiger added as an option for both right and left midfield. I was very impressed with him during Euro 2008.

Same reason i picked Ribery, he can play both sides. Not that we need either of them with Riera on the left and Kuyt on the right ;)

Will be interesting to see if TB has anything to say about these stories today. He's normally very quick to knock something as being wide off the mark if there's no truth to it and either back up (or stay quiet for the time being) if there is something behind it.

Just another thing for us to discuss.

Does anyone elses heart drop a bit when we line out in a 442 formation? It means dropping one of the best central midfielders in the premiership (Alonso or Masch) or else playing one of the best in the world out of position(Gerrard). I cant remember the last time we played well when starting in a 442. Even on Saturday we were terrible until Rafa made his changes. All of our players are better suited to the 4231 that was so succesful at the end of last year, why does he persist in changing it? I'm fully expecting a 442 tonight with Gerrard on the right with Kuyt up top with Keane.

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »

Does anyone elses heart drop a bit when we line out in a 442 formation? It means dropping one of the best central midfielders in the premiership (Alonso or Masch) or else playing one of the best in the world out of position(Gerrard). I cant remember the last time we played well when starting in a 442. Even on Saturday we were terrible until Rafa made his changes. All of our players are better suited to the 4231 that was so succesful at the end of last year, why does he persist in changing it? I'm fully expecting a 442 tonight with Gerrard on the right with Kuyt up top with Keane.

Don't think so.
    I reckon Masch and Xabi will be the central partnership tonight.

Don't think so.
    I reckon Masch and Xabi will be the central partnership tonight.

I'm hoping so. I'll be seriously worried if he goes with 442 and Atletico have Aguero and Sinama playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

To be honest, i dont think we need that much.
    Micah Richards(wouldnt leave now though)
    Franck Ribery

)

wouldnt be interested in Richards at all,he has regressed if anything and looks to be all hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,777 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

raven136 wrote: »
    wouldnt be interested in Richards at all,he has regressed if anything and looks to be all hype.

Agreed, I don't think he has even regressed, I never rated him.

:eek:

Im shocked by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Could be that Rafa doesn't think anyone other than Torres can play the lone striker effectively so he goes with 2 up front to compensate.
    Have to agree though, 4231 does seem best suited for our squad.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Could be that Rafa doesn't think anyone other than Torres can play the lone striker effectively so he goes with 2 up front to compensate.
    Have to agree though, 4231 does seem best suited for our squad.

this is true actually, Kuyt really doesn't do anywhere near his best when on his own up top, and neither does Keane. Babel alright might be able to so long as Gerrard is closely supporting him.

I thought the reasoning behind paying 20m for Keane was that he could cover Gerrard/Torres in the preferred 4-2-3-1

Now it looks like we've paid 20m for someone who can only play off another striker in a 4-4-2 which negates the point of paying so much for someone who is ineffective at backing up two positions where we had no cover.

I think Keane really needs to start producing performances, he has been shunted around the front 4, and in fairness that's what he was brought in for - but has so far looked only OK, and dare I say - Average!

We would be so much better staying with 4-2-3-1 with Keane up front on his own, and Riera--Gerrard--Kuyt or with Kuyt up front, and Riera--Gerrard--El Zhar

4-4-2 is worth having in the locker, with the extra striker needed to break down more defensive teams, but it's clearly evident an attacking 4-2-3-1 is our best formation, and if needs be put Keane in at AM, and Gerrard in at CM but keep it 4-2-3-1

In terms of buying more players, No - this madness has to stop somewhere, surely at least 1 of the Reserve/Youth players is worth a punt in the match squad - players like Nemeth, Insua, El Zhar should all on the bench, and if we win tonight - start some of the remaining games.

Look at United, some youth players got their starts in Europe before Domestic and over the course of a few years - does pay off.

I think if Rafa was in a more certain environment he would be experimenting a little more with the millions worth of potential he has brought into the club at youth level, unfortunately it's clearly a pressure situation - where failing to mount a PL challenge could see him getting the sack or leaving :(

I don't think that Babel would be at his best either.
    He seems to thrive when in more of a free role, and if he was the lone striker, I'd say he's be pretty much out of the game.

Now, Babel playing off Keane is something I'd like to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Id like to see, though probably wouldn't sanction the experiment if I was manager, Keane off Benayoun.

You get the feeling he is wasted in the right or left but competition in the middle is pretty fierce.

• Advertisement

Keane off Beni? Are you crazy?

Anyone know what Lucas is up to these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well Benny in a advanced AMF position with a front two as well then.

Crazy yes.

zAbbo wrote: »
    In terms of buying more players, No - this madness has to stop somewhere, surely at least 1 of the Reserve/Youth players is worth a punt in the match squad - players like Nemeth, Insua, El Zhar should all on the bench, and if we win tonight - start some of the remaining games.

Look at United, some youth players got their starts in Europe before Domestic and over the course of a few years - does pay off.

I think if Rafa was in a more certain environment he would be experimenting a little more with the millions worth of potential he has brought into the club at youth level, unfortunately it's clearly a pressure situation - where failing to mount a PL challenge could see him getting the sack or leaving :(

I think that's a bit unfair.
    Our best prospectrs are kids.
    Nemeth, 18.
    Pacheco 17.
    Bruna 17.

And most have only been at the club a year.
    It takes time.

Insua and Zhar have been hear a couple of years now, and are starting to push.
    Rafa has always said that the idea is for the youth to start breaking in when they are 20-21.
    That way they are properly prepared for it.
    He has it like a production line with 2-3players per year rolling off.

This year Insua, Zhar, and Plessis will push with the goal of being starters next year.
    The year after Nemeth, Pacheco, and Bruna will start pushing, hoping to break in during the 2010-11 season.
    The year after will see Saric, Eccleston, Zsolt (God I love that name!:P), on the bench, and starting in the 2011-12 campaign.

El Zhar was the first real youth signing Rafa made.
    And the cautious method of brining him through is going to show a hell of a lot of dividends.
    When he plays he seems a lot more confident than a lot of the young debutants from other teams, and he also seems unknown compared to the other kids.

Ramsey. Walcot, Rooney, were all over the media before making the first teams regularly.

Rafa keeps his stars out of the spotlight, and helps them develope better I believe.

After that you have th like of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I think that's a bit unfair.
    Our best prospectrs are kids.
    Nemeth, 18.
    Pacheco 17.
    Bruna 17.

And most have only been at the club a year.
    It takes time.

Insua and Zhar have been hear a couple of years now, and are starting to push.
    Rafa has always said that the idea is for the youth to start breaking in when they are 20-21.
    That way they are properly prepared for it.
    He has it like a production line with 2-3players per year rolling off.

This year Insua, Zhar, and Plessis will push with the goal of being starters next year.
    The year after Nemeth, Pacheco, and Bruna will start pushing, hoping to break in during the 2010-11 season.
    The year after will see Saric, Eccleston, Zsolt (God I love that name!:P), on the bench, and starting in the 2011-12 campaign.

El Zhar was the first real youth signing Rafa made.
    And the cautious method of brining him through is going to show a hell of a lot of dividends.
    When he plays he seems a lot more confident than a lot of the young debutants from other teams, and he also seems unknown compared to the other kids.

Ramsey. Walcot, Rooney, were all over the media before making the first teams regularly.

Rafa keeps his stars out of the spotlight, and helps them develope better I believe.

After that you have th like of

I think the one that should be groomed for first team action asap is Insua. I know Dossena is only in his fisrt season etc. But tbh he looks ****e. Now he might turn out to be good, but he might not. Aurellio is decent but a first choice full back in a championship contending team??? Not so sure. I think Insua has looked good anytime I’ve seen him, so he’s already a step ahead of Dossena..!:p

Haven’t seen anything of Nemeth but have heard great things. Would like to see some more of Ngog as the season unfolds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought the reasoning behind paying 20m for Keane was that he could cover Gerrard/Torres in the preferred 4-2-3-1

Now it looks like we've paid 20m for someone who can only play off another striker in a 4-4-2 which negates the point of paying so much for someone who is ineffective at backing up two positions where we had no cover.

I think Keane really needs to start producing performances, he has been shunted around the front 4, and in fairness that's what he was brought in for - but has so far looked only OK, and dare I say - Average!

We would be so much better staying with 4-2-3-1 with Keane up front on his own, and Riera--Gerrard--Kuyt or with Kuyt up front, and Riera--Gerrard--El Zhar

4-4-2 is worth having in the locker, with the extra striker needed to break down more defensive teams, but it's clearly evident an attacking 4-2-3-1 is our best formation, and if needs be put Keane in at AM, and Gerrard in at CM but keep it 4-2-3-1

I said it at the time and I'll say it again. I like Keane and think he will add something to the team BUT he is the answer to a problem we didnt really have.

In my opinion we should have stuck with the below but bought some world class players for the flanks. Im pretty happy with Riera & Babel for the left, but we are still lacking quality options on the right. In bringing in Keane, we either need to play 4-4-2 or play Keane or Gerrard out of position.

Torres

x
    Gerrard
    x

Masch--Alonso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Couple of seasons ago, didnt Gerrard, score something like 20+ goals when he was playing on the right hand side of a 442???

Yup, I agree - Keane will definetly add something, but he wasn't a necessity to buy him unless it was to cover Gerrard or Torres which now looks like he'll be doing neither without changing formation.

Playing 4-4-2 requires someone who can effectively play a lone striker role, as Keane will be SS/AMD/Freerole - this also requires a little more discipline from SG to hold CM something which he has done really well recently.

I dunno, Keane should work, but it hasn't so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't think Keane has been an abject failure. New strikers at Liverpool have generally taken time to find their feet, but I'm confident that he'll hit top form in the coming weeks.

However, like Gerrard, his versatility may cost him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tusky wrote: »

Torres

x
    Gerrard
    x

Masch--Alonso

Gerard has been playing beside Alonso for most the season as Mach has been unavailable for quite a high percentage of matches for numerous reasons.

I would be quite wary of coming to any real conclusion on how Liverpool will play this season when everyone is fit. Remember, we were missing Masch and Babel during the Olympics, suffered injuries to Gerard, Torres, Masch and a few others as well..

I am firmly of the opinion that the teams we have seen fielded this season are making the best of the players that were available at the time.

Regarding the two positions you marked for attention. Riera was obviously signed as a solution to the left wing. When he was signed, even Rafa stated that he is best utilised on the left of a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation.

I think that it is interesting that he didn't sign anyone for the right wing. I can't remember being linked with anyone that would be an obvious first choice. I am actually thinking that he is relatively happy with a Kuyt and whoever else as backup.

I still believe that you may also see Gerard played out on the right that bit more as the season progresses. When this happens, I think it will be done to fit Keane in behind Torres.

This is still our strongest team at the end of the day:

Torres
    Riera
    Keane
    Gerard
    Masch
    Alonso

I really don't think that Rafa is oblivious to this either. I don't think that there has been a fixture whereby everyone of those players have been available for selection.

If he signed Barry as expected, we would have been lining up as follows:

Torres
    Riera
    Kuyt
    Barry
    Gerard

Masch

You can read quite alot into that lineup but I am not sure where is leaves us now. It would suggest that Keane has been signed as backup to Torres whereas alot aren't so sure.

• Advertisement

Yup, I agree - Keane will definetly add something, but he wasn't a necessity to buy him unless it was to cover Gerrard or Torres which now looks like he'll be doing neither without changing formation.

Playing 4-4-2 requires someone who can effectively play a lone striker role, as Keane will be SS/AMD/Freerole - this also requires a little more discipline from SG to hold CM something which he has done really well recently.

I dunno, Keane should work, but it hasn't so far

I think you are jumping the gun as to what system we will play for the large majority of the season.

just on Dossena, at least he was good in Italy and is getting more games in the national side now, so if he doesn't work out, he should still hold his value there, like Gonzalez did in Spain. I too would like Insua to get the odd game now, while Aurelio is out, starting bedding him in a bit more. great young player.

Good post above as well karma

we really have such a wealth of talent among the kids though! The likes of Pourie, Amoo, Della Vale, Simon, Ajdaravic could all be added onto definate potential future players.

Torres
    Riera
    Keane
    Gerard
    Masch
    Alonso

I disagree, and I think it's very, very harsh on Kuyt to relegate him to the bench. He may not have the finesse or the penchant for the spectacular like Gerrard, Torres or Babel, but there is a need to a player with his workrate, stamina, positioning and intelligence - particularly in the big games. He was amongst our top three players in the tail end of last season and scored some crucial goals for us in our CL run. He's also been banging them in this season!

For me:
    Torres
    -Riera-Gerrard-Kuyt
    Mach-Alonso

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I don't think Keane has been an abject failure. New strikers at Liverpool have generally taken time to find their feet, but I'm confident that he'll hit top form in the coming weeks.

However, like Gerrard, his versatility may cost him.

Cost him what, every trophy going bar the league title so far? ;)

I disagree, and I think it's very, very harsh on Kuyt to relegate him to the bench. He may not have the finesse or the penchant for the spectacular like Gerrard, Torres or Babel, but there is a need to a player with his workrate, stamina, positioning and intelligence - particularly in the big games. He was amongst our top three players in the tail end of last season and scored some crucial goals for us in our CL run. He's also been banging them in this season!

For me:
    Torres
    -Riera-Gerrard-Kuyt
    Mach-Alonso

Hmm interesting. I appreciate what you are saying about Kuyt's workrate etc but he just isn't anywhere near good enough. You are also forgetting that Gerard generally puts in quite a bit of effort and is about 100 times better technically.

I really can't accept an argument that suggests that:

Torres
    Gerard
    Kuyt

is better than:

Torres
    Keane----Gerard

I am talking about out very best lineup for the biggest of fixtures. Kuyt is good enough for 85% of our matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Torres
    Riera
    Keane
    Gerard
    Masch
    Alonso

Exactly my point. Why break up the thriving partnership of Gerrard & Torres to bring in Keane, sticking Gerrard on the wing ? Instead, he should have kept the same formation and bought someone to play out right.

Torres
    Riera/Babel
    Gerrard
    <new 20m signing>
    Masch
    Alonso

• Advertisement

I mean in terms of when he's deployed in a central position in a 4-4-2, he has to curtail his more attacking side and do more 'water carrying'. Similarly, on the right, he has to curtail his habit of drifting in centrally to get more involved.

Keane has been deployed right, left, centre and up top. This constant positional change is going to impact his game.

However, at the end of the day, it's the team that matters, and I won't shed any tears for Gerrard or Keane as long as we keep winning!

Another silly argument :p - Rafa knows where he will play Kuyt and Gerrard in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Its worked well thus far.

Mike

Hmm interesting. I appreciate what you are saying about Kuyt's workrate etc but he just isn't anywhere near good enough. You are also forgetting that Gerard generally puts in quite a bit of effort and is about 100 times better technically.

But teh question isn't Kuyt or Gerrard, its Kuyt or Keane, and at the moment Kuyt is the one in better form. Overall yeah Keane's a better player, but Kuyt is playing out of his skin at the moment, and has been consistently fantastic in the champions league, harsh to drop him for it..

as for why keane was bought, remember Gerrard saying taht he said to rafa after last season that he really wanted to play in CM more? I think Keane is bought to replace Gerrard in AMC, with Gerrard replacing either Masch or Alonso in a lot of games in a central 2. If rotated then all 3 could play 2 in every 3 games in CM which isn't bad, with Gerrard playing more again in other positions as well.

On form alone, Kuyt has to be the first name on the team sheet. He has been brilliant for us this season, continuing on from the latter half of last season to be fair.
    On alphabetical terms, probably Agger would be the first name down!

Tusky wrote: »
    Exactly my point. Why break up the thriving partnership of Gerrard & Torres to bring in Keane, sticking Gerrard on the wing ? Instead, he should have kept the same formation and bought someone to play out right.

Torres
    Riera/Babel
    Gerrard
    <new 20m signing>
    Masch
    Alonso

While I see your point, I think Keane is more than capable of striking up a very good relationship with Torres. If Torres and Gerard score 50 goals betwen then, Torres and Keane will score 45. The key to the change though is that Kuyt might get 5 goals from the right wing whereas Gerard could hit 20. Overall, you have considerably more goals even though you have sacrificed the pairing of Torres and Gerard.

You are also not considering that we needed cover for both Torres and Gerard. Very few players could cover both positions but I think we all accept that Keane is up to the task. Getting cover for Torres and Gerard for 20 million is not exactly a bad thing.

I do agree that the last piece of the puzzle is to sign a world class right winger. Saying that, having a right winger worth 20m odd is scratch all use is the event of both Gerard and Torres being unavailable like during the United match.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement