Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Another great result again tonight, again showing that this season we're winning games that last season we were otherwise drawing.

My Dad, a Utd supporter, text me tonight with this joke, haven't heard it yet......

A woman goes to the doctor begging desperately for help. She explains that her fanny has begun to talk. She pulls down her knickers and her fanny whispers, "Liverpool are gonna win the Premier League this season". The Doctor replies, "I'm afraid we're in the middle of an epidemic! Lots of cnuts have started talking like this!"

Let's see who'll have the last laugh Dad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you sure that was from your Da? :eek:

Mike

Late on last night.

Okay its hard to make a firm judgment watching a jerky stream (or three) but once again I am moved to ask what does Lucas bring to the table?

When Gerrard scored it was clear enough that Pompey would look to equalise and as they pushed forwards Liverpools composure rather fell to pieces with some fairly last gasp defending on the edge of the peno area. I cant help but reckon if Masch had been in there he'd have been much more effective in the tackle and then maintaining possession long enough to allow the foward players to get ahead and receive the ball.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So it wasnt pretty last night but a win's a win.

I had been thinking it was going to be tough with both Torres and Keane out.
    I think it really shows the grit and determination of the team to grind out a result without both of them ( and without Riera on the bench for 70 mins)
    I wonder if they could both be back for the Spurs game. Also Riera was a loss and I would expect him to be back for Spurs

Having said that from what I've seen Babel had a good game.
    Kuyt seemed to have a busy game but I dont think it was one of his better performances. I think it was a bit of a mistake to play Alonso Lucas and Gerrard. I think we might have been better off playing Masch as with Diarra and Diop midfield it was always going to be a bit of a battle.

Even in spite of the freak Arsenal result last night I would expect us to get the win against Spurs Saturday - I think it was a case of some major luck on Spurs part and some very sloppy play by Arsenal.

I would expect some more changes [rotation] for the next few games but as it how and who will play is anyone's guess - scored a miserable 7 in fantasy rafa last night.:(

After Spurs and Athletico midweek we have what should be a nice run of games in the league in November, where you would expect/hope us to be winning.

West Brom
    Bolton
    Fulham
    West Ham
    Blackburn

Given out recent form and title aspirations it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that we could pick up 15 points from these games.

During November there a number of games where the chasing pack have games against each other, where they will drop points against one another. Arsenal in particular look vunerable but you just dont know how things will go. Chelsea have a pretty reasonable run of games (Arsenal aside) so I could well see a situation where they are still stuck on our coattails at the start of December. However a couple of favourable results could easily see us widening the gap back to the rest of the chasing pack. Personally I would be well pleased if we could widen the gap back to Utd a bit more. A draw/loss against Hull on Saturday would be a nice way to get the ball rolling;) Looking at the highlights last night I don't think the 3-0 result in the Hull-Chelsea was really indicative of the whole game. Chelsea getting the early goal really made things a lot easier for them but even still I think Hull gave them a good game and would hope that Hull have a bit of luck against Uts on Sat.

Man Utd v Hull
    Arsenal v Man Utd
    Arsenal v Aston Villa
    Aston Villa v Man Utd
    Chelsea v Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I'd have to agree with you there Mike. Lucas is too lightweight and indecisive for the Premiership. I know he's young but he's rarely bothered enough to look up when passing or make himself available to receive and seems to have no defensive capabilities. He could do with a loan out to Blackburn or somewhere imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I actually thought Lucas had a good game :\

He made some lovely passes, tackles, and I can't recall him conceding possession, which unfortunately cannot be said for most other Liverpool players on the pitch. Last 5 minutes were ridiculous.. "JUST HOLD ONTO THE F*****G BALL YOU MUPPETS!!! AGGH" --- *HOOOF"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i only seen brief highlights of last night's game.
    3 points is 3 points.

I agree with mike, lucas is not fit for our Midfield, i cant remember a game where he impressed.

still we have a lot of first team players who will be fresh for the spurs match at the weekend.

Next 7 games
    Liverpool:

Spurs
    West Brom
    Bolton
    Fulham
    West Ham
    Blackburn
    Hull City

A handy run of games to mix with the various Cup engagments
    Arsenal:

Stoke City
    Manchester United
    Aston Villa
    Manchester City
    Chelsea
    Wigan Athletic
    Middlesbrough

A few tricky matches in this run, can see them dropping 4-6 quite easily
    Chelsea

Sunderland
    Blackburn Rovers
    West Bromwich Albion
    Newcastle United
    Arsenal
    Bolton Wanderers
    West Ham United

Pretty straighforward, could be a full house.
    ManU

Hull City
    Arsenal
    Stoke City
    Aston Villa
    Manchester City
    Sunderland
    Tottenham Hotspur

A couple of potential stumbles - against Citeh, Chelsea.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

spockety wrote: »
    I actually thought Lucas had a good game :\

He made some lovely passes, tackles, and I can't recall him conceding possession, which unfortunately cannot be said for most other Liverpool players on the pitch. Last 5 minutes were ridiculous.. "JUST HOLD ONTO THE F*****G BALL YOU MUPPETS!!! AGGH" --- *HOOOF"..

Agree with you here, I think Lucas had a good game last night, he kept the ball well and looked to get it forward at every oppertunity.

I think people are being a bit harsh on him, you can't expect him to come in from the cold (when was his last start) and be world-class. He needs a few games under his belt (not sure he'll get them at liverpool this season).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I also thought Lucas played well last night. Better than he has done recently. He needs to toughen up a bit, no doubt about it, but his passing and vision are normally very good.

Babel impressed me the most last night, but also frustrated me the most.
    His touch, passing and awareness were a lot better than they were for most of last season, but i think his workrate leaves a lot to be desired. Countless times last night he played a good ball infield, but stood still afterwards, when it was crying out for a one-two. I definitely think he's improved this season though, far from the finished article, but getting there.

Arbeloa played well, and after a stuttering start to the season he has been one of our better performers. Aurelio did ok too, and looks much more assured than Dossena at the moment so he should stay first choice (he deserves to on last year's performances - it's up to Dossena to win his place).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lucas so far looks a dud, he isn't showing the appetite for tackling or getting stuck in, and certainly doesn't look the the €9m we spend on him.

Is it worth putting Plessis in for a few games?

zAbbo wrote: »
    Lucas so far looks a dud, he isn't showing the appetite for tackling or getting stuck in, and certainly doesn't look the the €9m we spend on him.

Agreed.

I wouldn't worry about how we are playing at the moment lads. We all that Liverpool do there best stuff from the middle to end of each season so this is a REALLY good start.

Agreed.

I wouldn't worry about how we are playing at the moment lads. We all that Liverpool do there best stuff from the middle to end of each season so this is a REALLY good start.

Would I be right in saying this is the best start any team has made to a PL season? 10 games, 26 points.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i think lucas is doing pretty much what is asked of him and lets not forget he is still very young.
    Also would i be right in saying he played the attacking midfield role in Brazil.

Very highly thought of and by all accounts is training very well.Dont write players off at such a young age,he is at the moment a very good squad player and hopefully with experience he will achieve much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

zAbbo wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying this is the best start any team has made to a PL season? 10 games, 26 points.?

Pretty sure that in Maureen's second season chelsea got 9 wins a 1 draw but I cant find the link anywhere and s I stand to be corrected(wouldnt be the first time this week!);). At worst I'd say it the second best start....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Lucas had a very good game last night.
    None of us saw anything on the streams if we're being honest, but on MOTD, half of the highlights involved him.

Some great passes, and good tracking back and tackling.
    Some of his 40 yard passes would have given Xabi a chubbie!:p
    He was much better defensively, and seems to have bulked up a lot from last year.

Why are so many fans insisting on writing him off, when he's played stop start, and completely out of position?!

Gerrard started as a defensive midfielder (so did Carra for Christ sake), but neither are world class there.
    Lucas is playing well out of position, and getting very little game time, but still he's written off left, right and center!!!:confused:

Dub13 wrote: »
    a few lads from here came on the last trip and I am sure they will vouch for them been great days.

Doobee doobee doo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

I saw the match perfectly thank you very much, and Lucas put in a solid 90 minutes and impressed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that in Maureen's second season chelsea got 9 wins a 1 draw but I cant find the link anywhere and s I stand to be corrected(wouldnt be the first time this week!);). At worst I'd say it the second best start....

SSN had a piece there at lunchtime on it, Liverpool's start is joint third in Prem history.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Lucas had a very good game last night.
    None of us saw anything on the streams if we're being honest, but on MOTD, half of the highlights involved him.

agreed, he looked solid. The sky sports extended highlights last night (via red button) showed 4 or 5 times more than BBC and he spent a lot of time laying off easy passes and just generally being neat and tidy.

Seemed to lack a little confidence in last third though, was always looking to give it to someone else even when it opened up for a 20-25 yard shot for him a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

just after watching the full 90 minutes on lfc tv and lucas had a solid game sometimes its very easy to criticise him but it was unjust last night one of our better players. worried about the lack of chances we created last night we need to create more.we cant keep grinding out results but its great to see us getting 3 points where we wouldnt have done in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

wcarey1975 wrote: »

There's a match database section on chelsea's www site and you can search by year. 05/06 they started with 9 wins and then drew with the bluenoses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Liverpool have been offered the chance to sign 19-year-old Brazilian wonder kid Keirrison. (Daily Mirror)

-- From BBC Gossip

I know its the Mirror but when I hear mention of Brazilian and wonderkid I get all tingley :)

There are youtube compliations but as we know they can make Pennant look like Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liverpool have been offered the chance to sign 19-year-old Brazilian wonder kid Keirrison. (Daily Mirror)

-- From BBC Gossip

I know its the Mirror but when I hear mention of Brazilian and wonderkid I get all tingley :)

There are youtube compliations but as we know they can make Pennant look like Messi.

still though, everybody loves a good youtube!

Longer one, and worthwhile even just for the music!

Just out of interest - Ladies and gents, I give you - Jermaine Pennant!

-- From BBC Gossip

Lucas was THE Brazilian wonderkid!;)

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Just out of interest - Ladies and gents, I give you - Jermaine Pennant!

told ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

-- From BBC Gossip

wouldnt get too excited every sub standard european top flight leagues are full of "brazilian wonderkids" or former ones the term "brazilian wonderkid" gets banded about too often for my liking

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

certainly likes an old celebration anyway...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Doobee doobee doo!!!

LOL.

Still a couple of spots left on the W.B.A trip With Tickets.

The Liverpool takeover and the billion pound investment

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=69
    Over the last week or so it seems that the majority of questions from Liverpool fans relate to news of a potential takeover at Anfield.

As one reader, KK, from Malaysia asks: "Surely the most important news that LFC fans would like to know if whether DIC is still interested and intend to buy LFC. Also we'd also like to know if USA are indeed willing to sell?"

And Lee in Liverpool makes a very valid point when he says: "Guillem have you heard anything about DIC? Now that Man City have had there influx of Arabian cash we could start to find ourselves struggling to finish top four!"

In fact, the points that you guys have raised about Champions League qualification, the takeover at Manchester City and the position of Gillett and Hicks are all very relevant.

To begin with, we need to get away from the idea that it will be Dubai International Capital that ultimately takes control of Liverpool football club. DIC have, until now, been operating on behalf of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum as the private-equity investment arm of the Dubai Government. However, DIC represents just one of a number of financial vehicles available to Sheikh Mohammed and it is highly likely that an alternative one of those will end up leading the bid to take control at Anfield.

DIC had been leading the negotiations over a proposed takeover of Liverpool - through intermediary Amanda Staveley, of London based PCP Capital Partners - for the last couple of years.

However, the financial situation surrounding the club has changed dramatically since DIC's initial £220 Million bid 24 months ago, and the current climate is now less favourable for such a private equity fund to become involved.

To begin with, a new bid would have to cover the £350 million debt and Gillett and Hicks will also walk away with a profit of £75 million each from the sale. Add to those figures the costs of building a new stadium under the 'current global financial climate,' as Hicks put it last week, and it becomes clear that something close to a billion pound investment will be required to fulfill the club's ambitions. For an equity fund, like DIC, that would need to see a return on it's investment within 8- 10 years, rather than generationally, that kind of massive investment may be prohibitive.

However, while the talks have been low key, 'they have been ongoing' with Dubai - as Staveley told an Arab magazine a couple of weeks ago - and both the Dubai ruler, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, and his right-hand man, Mohammed Al Gergawi, have been personally involved in negotiations.

Nothing has been agreed yet, and Gillett and Hicks are still resisting the sale of the club to Sheikh Mohammed, leaving it until as late in the day as possible - after all, that is their game as high level debt poker players. However, the pressure is mounting on them to sell as the credit crunch continues to undermine their ambitions for the club: it was only last week that they blamed the global financial climate for the postponement of building work on the new stadium at Stanley Park. The pair are now aware that they simply do not have the resources to deliver upon their lofty ambitions for the club that they promised when they took control in 2007.

They are also likely to come under pressure to sell from the Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, the banks with whom they secured a £350 million refinancing deal a little more than seven months ago. That deal is due for renewal this coming January and neither bank is certain to grant them the option of a six month extension: a situation that would force a sale as the banks would effectively become the club's owners and they would be looking to quickly sell the club to the highest bidder.

It is easy to understand the banks position in all of this. After all, with the club owing annual interest payments of £30 million, Liverpool's financial security, under Gillett and Hicks, is almost entirely dependent upon future Champions League qualification. The Abu Dhabi takeover at Manchester City, and the increased competition for places in Europe's elite club competition that it will surely bring, makes Liverpool's future dependence upon Champions League revenue look even more precarious than it already was.

The irony is, that as the Americans at Liverpool appear increasingly more helpless in the face of the massive injection of Arab wealth at Manchester City, the new owner at Eastlands, Sheikh Mansour, is married to the daughter of Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai. Those family ties, however, are purely anecdotal and the fact is that the two Arab states are in competition with each other as rivals for status and international prestige. There is no collusion, and the Premier League could provide a platform for the two Arab states to go head to head on the world stage.

Nevertheless, the Abu Dhabi takeover at City could certainly help pave the way for a similar takeover at Liverpool from Dubai. The RSB and Wachovia have not yet put pressure on the Texan pair to sell, but they are aware of the bid from Sheikh Mohammed and if they fear that the Americans are unable to fulfill their pledges under the current financial climate - and with Arab wealth in Manchester jeopardising Liverpool's place at the top table of European football - it may only be a matter of time before the banks have no other option but to force Gillett and Hicks to relinquish control at Anfield.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Here's the radio interview with Gillet which that Guardian article is based on - along with similar stories carried by most of the rest of the media

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?content=20081029_184235_14268

Interesting that he didn't deny that they were trying to sell the club - just wouldn't comment on it

LOL.

Still a couple of spots left on the W.B.A trip With Tickets.

I'd love to man, but I've work on the Saturday!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Liverpool takeover and the billion pound investment

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=69

I read that well over a month ago. It is actually dated the 08/09/2008.

I read that well over a month ago. It is actually dated the 08/09/2008.

I only got sent it today did not read the date.

I only got sent it today did not read the date.

No problem :) Got really excited reading it and then twigged I had read it before. Hit a major low afterwards, hence my reply :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just said I'd post and admit that my early season predictions regarding Liverpool were completely wrong. I predicted they would finish no better than fourth but at this stage they have shown that they learned how to win ugly. The addition of Riera has made a big difference, but its the overall ruthlessness that has impressed me and the will to win when things are not going their way.
    The most important thing though is that they have got the goals in games they would have drawn and failed to deliver in last year. There has been three of these so far and Liverpool have full points in them.
    Credit where its due and hopefully this will result in a long awaited Premier League title. Its time the Pool were back on top. Still a long way to go but the first ten have been impressive.

woah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just said I'd post and admit that my early season predictions regarding Liverpool were completely wrong. I predicted they would finish no better than fourth

Well to be fair to you, we won't know if you were wrong until at least May. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I'd hold off until after November, we have a history recently of absolutely sucking in November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just said I'd post and admit that my early season predictions regarding Liverpool were completely wrong. I predicted they would finish no better than fourth but at this stage they have shown that they learned how to win ugly. The addition of Riera has made a big difference, but its the overall ruthlessness that has impressed me and the will to win when things are not going their way.
    The most important thing though is that they have got the goals in games they would have drawn and failed to deliver in last year. There has been three of these so far and Liverpool have full points in them.
    Credit where its due and hopefully this will result in a long awaited Premier League title. Its time the Pool were back on top. Still a long way to go but the first ten have been impressive.

I'd like to say pretty much the same thing, but I'm not goin to because if I do, they'll go back to the old ways and start dropping points left right and centre.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd hold off until after November, we have a history recently of absolutely sucking in November.

have a feeling we'll see our strongest team out for most of november for this reason as well as to keep our momentum going. Torres returning will be massive for us as well. Masch being rested yesterday makes me think that Alonso will be rested in the next game with Lucas again coming in leaving us with a nicely fresh first team considering Gerrard and Torres have already missed plenty of games. Riera too got his rest, Babel's starting to get used more and Kuyt, well, Kuyt doesn't even need rests. Things are just really shaping up nicely for Pool in relation to the timing of everything like players, fixtures etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It'll be interesting to see if Rafa rests players against Spurs at the weekend with an eye on the Atletico game.

We rested a few against Portsmouth, but we were lucky enough in the end. Spurs under 'Arry playing at WHL will be a different proposition. I don't want to see Torres rushed back, but if he's fit, he has to go into the team. Macherano should start too, he'll boss that Spurs midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

For the Spurs game the weekend I reckon we'll see the same 11 that started against Chelsea.
    If Torres is gonna feature, I'd say it'd most likely be from the bench.

I'm a little nervous about this spurs game.
    I wonder how robbie will play

• Advertisement

We also had a history of loosing to Utd, and never beating Chelsea in the bridge (as did everyone else).

Look how that went.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

It’s vital that Mascher plays tomorrow because the way Harry lined up Spurs meant that Modric had the free role behind the main striker. Mascher specialises in cutting off space to these type of players.

I am a bit worried that this whole sh’tty November thing will repeat itself. We have put ourselves in a position where we should be confident facing any team home or away. If we can get through this month with no defeats then it would be a massive boost for everyone.

Should note that Spurs have drawn away to both Chelsea and Arsenal this season, so it wouldn’t be beyond them to lift their game again on Saturday.

1st v 20th tomorrow, and Spurs being my second team - I think we'll win, but they are unpredictable.

I'm not sure how much the CL will dictate the lineup, but I'd happily put out the strongest XI tomorrow and rest whoever on Weds

We all know the strongest XI now

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Spurs are pretty unpredictable - look at their performances against the Arse and Chel$ki. However, we should have enough to see them off. Is Torres/Keane back?

We are virtually through to the next round of the CL so I reckon he will that match as being of lesser importance to the Spurs match. It is critical that we beat Spurs in order to maintain our momentum. The odd draw is obviously going to occur but we got to try to restrict them to the likes of Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement