Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The odd draw is obviously going to occur but we got to try to restrict them to the likes of Chelsea, United and Arsenal.

Which we've been sh!te at doing so far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm a little nervous about this spurs game.
    I wonder how robbie will play
    He'll score the winning goal (for Liverpool), don't worry :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

monkey9 wrote: »
    Which we've been sh!te at doing so far this season

Jesus christ, why does everyone keep posting responses like that everytime someone mentions Chelsea or United.

Those victories mean scratch all until the end of the season. There is another 29 matches to be played and in order to have any chance of winning the league, we need to continue winning and restrict the amount of draws to a minimum. The response to that statement is not "Which we have being ****e at so far this season".

One thing i am confident of this season is not loosing may matches. It feels good to be able to say that. Will boil down to stupid draws i think.

Jesus christ, why does everyone keep posting responses like that everytime someone mentions Chelsea or United.

Those victories mean scratch all until the end of the season. There is another 29 matches to be played and in order to have any chance of winning the league, we need to continue winning and restrict the amount of draws to a minimum. The response to that statement is not "Which we have being ****e at so far this season".

One thing i am confident of this season is not loosing may matches. It feels good to be able to say that. Will boil down to stupid draws i think.

You've gotta enjoy the moment as well though. Top of the league, unbeaten and considering the fixtures we've got through.......i'm loving it!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    You've gotta enjoy the moment as well though. Top of the league, unbeaten and considering the fixtures we've got through.......i'm loving it!!

I am enjoying it privately at the moment as there is still plenty of time for stuff to go wrong. I am delighted that the first quarter has gone so well. I am just concentrating on the period between now and the new year for the moment. I won't be getting too excited until April.

Well, to be honest. I think Chelsea will win it, but if we can still be challenging come April, i'd be delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I reckon we'll see a good strong side tomorrow - only real question is whether or not to risk Torres or give him the extra few days of recovery. If Ramos was still there then maybe he'd tinker a bit given the form they were in but they'll be a completely different team under 'arry so it's going to be that bit harder for him to prepare for the game (analysis of most of their games so far this season is no longer really relevant).

As has already been said - we've practically got one foot in the next round of the CL with 3 games to go so we can afford a slip up there a lot more than we can in the league.

Skrtel is the only confirmed absentee from the squad - Torres & Degen are both training afaik and available if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Worrying about results of ManU/Chelsea/Arsenal adds unnecessary pressure.

If we just play our own game, and concentrate on winning them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Lionel Messi believes Liverpool are favourites to win the Champions League this season.
    The Reds are currently top of their group in the competition and the Barcelona forward tipped them to lift the trophy for the sixth time in their history.

"If I had to choose anyone to win the Champions League then it would be Liverpool," said Messi, who has turned out for Argentina 33 times.

"They have great players like Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and Javier Mascherano, and they are difficult to play against.

"Maybe there are teams that play better football but I can see them getting to the final in Rome."

Even Messi Digs the Diggler!!!!!:D

New found respect for Lionel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

New found respect for Lionel ;)
    "Great players like Dirk Kuyt"

Glad to see i'm not his only fan

Dirk has been up there with Xabi and Masch as our player of the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

good to see dirk getting the recognition he deserves alright.

thought he was among the standout players at the Euros during the summer too.

wait for a bad game though, the dirk knockers will be out in force i have no doubt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"dirk knockers" sounds so... dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Dont agree with Mascherano included as players of the season so far. I dont think he has shown his form from last season. But in his defense he has missed some valuable game time due to the Olympics and returning from international duty later than others. I've every fate in him returning to form though as he showed on Sunday against Chelsea.

I'd have Carragher in there as our stand out player by a country mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Masch.

=/

Im Mascheranos biggest fan but thats just silly. Hes only featured in 4 league games so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

this is actually the most excited ive been about a liverpool team in quite some time. i think the 05 CL was exciting of course but that was a cup which is different. for us to be where we are now with the squad we have and the scalps we have taken is f**kin excellent. not forgetting the confidence around the squad.

id be happy with a draw on the weekend but i think we can take all 3 points in this game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Jazzy wrote: »
    id be happy with a draw on the weekend but i think we can take all 3 points in this game

I won't be happy with a draw. On form it's the best team versus the worst team over the first 10 games of the season. United and Chelsea would both win here in these circumstances so I don't see why we can't. Pool 2-0. Onwards with the Red Machine!

yom 1 wrote: »
    Dont agree with Mascherano included as players of the season so far. I dont think he has shown his form from last season. But in his defense he has missed some valuable game time due to the Olympics and returning from international duty later than others. I've every fate in him returning to form though as he showed on Sunday against Chelsea.

I'd have Carragher in there as our stand out player by a country mile.

He single handedly beat Man U.

Sorry, but you're wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Xabi palyer of the season so far. Id have Reira ahead of Masch. Hands down

Tusky wrote: »
    =/

Im Mascheranos biggest fan but thats just silly. Hes only featured in 4 league games so far.

And in those 4 games, we've looked more together.

We can't play the 4-2-3-1 to the same extent without him.
    He's the cog that makes the rest of the team play a lot more smoothly.
    Xabi plays better with Masch beside him.
    Carra and Danny are better with him infront.
    Gerrard is better with him behind.

Simple.

Oh and you really should stop calling my posts silly, you're not in good form with that old boy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for Karmafaerie, Masch is the Super Synthetic oil which makes Liverpools machine purr.

MaschSuperGrade.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Why? Because you said so? You seem to be missing FACT at the end of that statement:rolleyes:

As Tusky said above he has played four games so far and that simply rules him out of the running over the first 10 games. I think he is gonna be one of our most important players again this season but he is not our player of the season so far, not even close.

yom 1 wrote: »
    Why? Because you said so? You seem to be missing FACT at the end of that statement:rolleyes:

As Tusky said above he has played four games so far and that simply rules him out of the running over the first 10 games. I think he is gonna be one of our most important players again this season but he is not our player of the season so far, not even close.

No, due to the fact that he completely bossed the midfield, and dominated the game to such an extent that Liverpool were two steps ahead of UTD.
    He didn't let their midfield in the game.
    When he plays, the whole team plays better.
    He makes the other players better.

He played 4 games, and was really good in each of them.

So you're right, 4/4 is only okay I suppose!

The only times when Liverpool looked truely championship material where the games he was playing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think that it's too early to be really considering player of the season so far - the good news is there are a lot of decent contenders.

Along with Carra, Alonso, Kuytand Masch, I'll throw Riera into the mix. He's been really impressive for me especially considering he's been new into the squad this season.

Almost freaky the fact that Gerrard and Torres arent really in contention -shows how well the squad in general have been playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'd agree that Xabi has been our star player this year. I was very much opposed to the chasing of Gareth Barry when there was an even better player currently in the team, albeit underperforming. He's oozing class again this season, and i think i detect a more forward going role this year. He's still doing the spraying passes around thing, but also getting into more advanced positions.

Masch hasn't been our player of the season so far, if you ask me. He has however been fcuking awesome when we've seen him this season but i still think he's going to step it up even more and he's played limited games.
    Last week against Chelsea at one point Belletti or Malouda had the ball and were ahead of Masch and he hunted them down and dispossessed them, the best thing about it for me was that as soon as i saw it was Masch chasing him i knew he'd do it.

Again, I'm not saying that Masch is the player of the season.
    It's only Oct after all.

I'm saying that in the games he's played, he's been imense, and more so than any other player, we've not looked the same without him.

The only other players who I think cause such a detriment to the team, would be Carra and Pepe.
    Last season I'd have said Nando and Stevie also, but so far we've managd to play better without them, than we have without Tommy M this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think so far Reina, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Carragher and Kuyt have all been immense. It's impossible to pick just one of them to single out! Reira has also settled in remarkably well and the benefit that having excellent attacking options on both the wide left and wide right positions is illustrated by the lofty position Liverpool occupy on the top of the pile.
    Tommy M
    :confused: Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

malice_ wrote: »
    I think so far Reina, Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso, Carragher and Kuyt have all been immense. It's impossible to pick just one of them to single out! Reira has also settled in remarkably well and the benefit that having excellent attacking options on both the wide left and wide right positions is illustrated by the lofty position Liverpool occupy on the top of the pile.

:confused: Who?

And in those 4 games, we've looked more together.

We can't play the 4-2-3-1 to the same extent without him.
    He's the cog that makes the rest of the team play a lot more smoothly.
    Xabi plays better with Masch beside him.
    Carra and Danny are better with him infront.
    Gerrard is better with him behind.

I agree with all of the above. I think along with Reina, Gerrard & Torres, he is our most important player. However, my point stands. He hasnt been our best player this year as he simply hasnt featured enough.
    Again, I'm not saying that Masch is the player of the season.

isnt that what we are debating ? Your original post is below.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Three of Liverpool's Barclays Premier League fixtures in 2009 have been changed for live television coverage.
    The match against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday, January 10, will now kick-off at 5.30pm GMT, and be shown live on Setanta Sports.

The Merseyside derby against Everton at Anfield will now be played on Monday, January 19 at 8pm GMT, and be shown live on Setanta Sports. However, if Liverpool reach the Carling Cup semi-final then the derby will remain on Saturday, January 17, with kick-off time to be confirmed.

Liverpool's Anfield clash with Chelsea has been moved from Saturday, January 31, to Sunday, February 1, at 4pm GMT, and will be shown live on Sky.

Some cheap flights going lads,I just booked my Chelsea flight all in outbound for 1 euro and thats into Liverpool.Get on it cheap before Ryanair get wind of this and up there prices.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some cheap flights going lads,I just booked my Chelsea flight all in outbound for 1 euro and thats into Liverpool.Get on it cheap before Ryanair get wind of this and up there prices.

cheers, now the ticket trawl begins!

copacetic wrote: »
    cheers, now the ticket trawl begins!

No prob,what did you do for the return leg..?I just booked the 90 pounds return from Liverpool but I no lads who are booking into Leeds also a 1 cent flight.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote: »
    No prob,what did you do for the return leg..?I just booked the 90 pounds return from Liverpool but I no lads who are booking into Leeds also a 1 cent flight.

I took the 6.30 one back on the Monday for 0 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Interview with Xabi Alonso
    Written by ASF on October 31st, 2008

A brief interview with Xabi Alonso, published today by La Rioja newspaper, translated courtesy of Alex, aka AnotherSpanishfan.

You will go down in history as the player that put an end to the myth of Stamford Bridge.

- They had an unbeaten run of 86 games and that gives more merit to our victory, but what really matters is that we’ve won in one of the most difficult stadiums to visit in the Premier and we did so with authority.

It has to be one of the most important goals in your career?

- Clearly it was a high, but I still rank higher the one I scored against Casillas in Anoeta the year we were runner-ups. Also, one I’m very fond of is my first goal in the Premier against Arsenal.

And what about the one that helped win the Champions in 2005 in Istanbul?

- Without a doubt that is the most important one. Although it wasn’t the prettiest one, it will always be the most special goal in my career.

The win against Chelsea means more than just the three points, correct?

- Yes, because they had a mental edge against us in the league, specially at Stamford Bridge. In the Champions we’ve been able to get some decent results there but in the Premier they always beat us. Since I’ve been at Liverpool, this is the first time we’ve scored a goal at their place. Besides, we were leveled on points at the top of the table and they had an unbeaten run of four years. Along with Old Trafford this stadium was a jinx for us and we’ve broken the curse. Now we have Manchester left.

Besides, you won without Torres.

- He’s a very important player for us but we have to be able to cope with injuries and suspensions during the course of the season. We’re doing well and so far we’re not missing him much, although we want him to recover as soon as possible.

In the last few years you’ve lacked something to fight for the Premier, but this year you seem like a serious threat.

- Only time will tell. We’ve started really well but in order to win the Premier you have to stay in form during the whole season. It’s a question mark at this point but it’s evident that we have improved from years past and we’re now more competitive.

This Liverpool team seems more ambitious. Is that so?

- We haven’t changed that much in that sense. Perhaps we are more focused than ever on doing a good job in the Premier first and foremost. Last year we also enjoyed a good start but we went through a bad spell in November that put us out of the race. Here, any team can beat you, but the key is not going on a negative run of results because if you do you’re lost.

Liverpool last won the league in 1990. The supporters must be very anxious to win it again.

- People are very eager[to win the Premier]. We know it is very difficult to win the league but we want to, at least, be on the running until the very end, which would be a nice first step. Winning it is a different matter.

This past summer you added the Euro Cup to a CV with a Champions League, FA Cup, Carling, European Super Cup and Charity Shield… You’re lacking that league title!

- A league title would help to shape up a very complete CV and to win the Premier, which is nowadays the best league in the world, would be incredible.

Let’s get back to the Premier. Who are the team to beat?

- The same three teams, Chelsea, Manchester and Arsenal. Chelsea have the most complete squad and a very solid team. Machester have the best attack in the competition, with incredible players in midfield and forward that can roll over you when they’re in form. Arsenal, with their peculiar philosophy, have the capability of playing fantastic football although, like ourselves, their pending assignment is consistency.

On a personal level, is this the best moment of your career?

- I don’t know if it’s the best but I’m very comfortable on the pitch. I ended the season in good form last term, I was fresh for the Euro Cup and I’ve carried that over to this season. It helps too when the team is playing well in general.

Del Bosque is trusting you with a bigger role for the national team.

- It’s difficult to find a place in the starting eleven because the team is functioning very well and you shouldn’t try to fix what’s working. But, despite not being a fix on the starting eleven, I’m happy with my role for the national team.

ASF

http://www.thisisanfield.com/columnists/2008/10/interview-with-xabi-alonso/

Tusky wrote: »
    I agree with all of the above. I think along with Reina, Gerrard & Torres, he is our most important player. However, my point stands. He hasnt been our best player this year as he simply hasnt featured enough.

isnt that what we are debating ? Your original post is below.

And you can't see the difference between the phrase "player of the season" and "player of the season so far"?

Masch hasn't had a bad game, which no other Liverpool player can say.
    Liverpool as a team have been a lot better during those 4 games.
    something no other Liverpool player can lay claim to.

masch isnt player of the season "so far".
    if anyone is its gerrard. but i dont think we can really judge it yet. be a good man and stop getting ahead of urself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Hold on now this is only getting into my head now
    Liverpool are top of the prem
    Nice . . .:D

masch isnt player of the season "so far".
    if anyone is its gerrard. but i dont think we can really judge it yet. be a good man and stop getting ahead of urself :pac:

Sorry, I thought you were ignoring me.

Seeing as you said you were going to after I said Liverpool would beat Chelsea, exactly in the manner and with the tactics that they did beat Chelsea, and then didn't reply to me afterwards.

In fact, I believe you said my post was one of the most ridiculous things you'd ever read.

Masch = Liverpool better.

No other player has that effect on the whole team.

I'll stay hear ahead, while you follow behind if that's okay with you Jazzy.;)

ur so smrt karmafarie. and have so much dignity too. like taking all the ppls posts who said pool would win against chelski and reposting them cos ur so brainy and got it right. fact is, every statistic and bit of logic for that game was in chelseas favour. just cos u blindly said that liverpool would win cos u really really wanted them to rather then it being based on logic worked out does not a good footballing mind make. fair enough, u got it right and im happy u did and yes pool are a better team with mascherano in it.... but hes hardly player of the season "so far". alonso gerrard and kuyt have done more so far for liverpool this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Sorry, I thought you were ignoring me.

Seeing as you said you were going to after I said Liverpool would beat Chelsea, exactly in the manner and with the tactics that they did beat Chelsea, and then didn't reply to me afterwards.

In fact, I believe you said my post was one of the most ridiculous things you'd ever read.

Masch = Liverpool better.

No other player has that effect on the whole team.

I'll stay hear ahead, while you follow behind if that's okay with you Jazzy.;)
    ur so smrt karmafarie. and have so much dignity too. like taking all the ppls posts who said pool would win against chelski and reposting them cos ur so brainy and got it right. fact is, every statistic and bit of logic for that game was in chelseas favour. just cos u blindly said that liverpool would win cos u really really wanted them to rather then it being based on logic worked out does not a good footballing mind make. fair enough, u got it right and im happy u did and yes pool are a better team with mascherano in it.... but hes hardly player of the season "so far". alonso gerrard and kuyt have done more so far for liverpool this season

26188DC%7ECat-Fight-Posters.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Spurs will win today.

I said that Liverpool would win, as Chelseasw wingbacks would bomb forward, leaving Gerrard the room to pop up anywhere across the back, taking Mikel out of the game, while Masch would mop up all threats, and Scolaris inexpeerience against Liverpool, compared to Rafa's knowledge of managing the fixtures would lead to Liverpool winning a very close game by 0-1 or 1-2.

Which is exactly what happened.
    The only thing I wasn't correct about was the fact that i thought Pepe would have to warm his hands.

You see Jazzy, I looked at these things called facts, and made an educated guess.
    Same way as I'm looking at the facts about Masch.
    But you enjoy yourself with that Jazzy.

P.S: And for somebody who started a conversation with me laughing about how stupid I was and asking for a way to "unthank" me, and who then cowered in a corner like a culled dog when I was proven right, you really can't talk about dignity.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

anyone know where theres a stream available?

joe123 wrote: »

Excellent stream - http://www.ustream.tv/channel/335313

joe123 wrote: »

Here is a thread with a load of links just go through them...

http://irishkop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

since we started doing well and other posters havent been criticising us as much this thread has become a place for liverppol fans to bitch at each other.

cop on lads and enjoy it while it lasts...

oh yes i cowered in a corner like a dog... :confused:

i think i said something like "im so glad that im wrong" or something to that effect. but if u had dignity surely u wouldnt be saying how i cowered in a corner even if thats wat i did? im loving the irony there dude. proves ur clevererness over the paupers who dont believe.

facts about masch? how many games has he played? hes been a key part in the games he has but same can be said of alonso and gerrard. ya see thats the thing, u just really really want him to be "PLAYER OF THE SEASON SO FAR RAWR!" he could well be by the end of the season but the fact is he hasnt been in enough games to warrant him to be that.

if the season was to end right now at this second, would he be player of the season even tho he has played in less then half (i think) of the games?

anyhow im off to cower in a corner from ur vastly superior intellect karmafaerie. its far too much for me...

p.s. - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony <--- u might need that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agger is a liabillity. Center halves who cannot defend are a liabillity. How good he is on the ball is irrelevant. Drop him and play Hyppia until Skrtl returns. Disgraceful effort on the second goal tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Agger is a liabillity. Center halves who cannot defend are a liabillity. How good he is on the ball is irrelevant. Drop him and play Hyppia until Skrtl returns. Disgraceful effort on the second goal tonight.

Ah come dude.

hyppia doesn't have the legs or pace for a long run of games in the prem.

it's crazy to think otherwise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement