Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ntlbell wrote: »
    Ah come dude.

hyppia doesn't have the legs or pace for a long run of games in the prem.

it's crazy to think otherwise

Meh, Agger has been awful since his return. How many mental mistakes does it take before it becomes clear that any alternative is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh, Agger has been awful since his return. How many mental mistakes does it take before it becomes clear that any alternative is better?

if anything is better then is there no one in the reserves? :D

hyypia is not the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Lloyd can you tell me why you don't rate Agger? With examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ntlbell wrote: »
    if anything is better then is there no one in the reserves? :D

hyypia is not the answer
    He does have gorgeous hair though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Rafa was looking at some brazilian defender wasn't he?

Benyoun was ****ing awful today. El Zahr should be out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Benyoun was ****ing awful today. El Zahr should be out there.

Jesus, just pray its not Roque Junior....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

That was Agger's 5th or 6th game after being out for a year ? Before that he was very consistent and rarely put a foot wrong. Of course he's going to be rusty after being out for that long. He needs encouragement - not to be dropped so soon after coming back.

Personally I've more of a problem with the other players on the pitch not being able to kill games off than I have with him making the odd mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mate, as Tottenham have found out with Gomes, you really should never, ever sign a Brazilian player who's main objective is defending their own goals;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

SantryRed wrote: »
    Mate, as Tottenham have found out with Gomes, you really should never, ever sign a Brazilian player who's main objective is defending their own goals;)
    True that though there are exceptions(Dida and Carlos come to mind).

Sherifu wrote: »
    True that though there are exceptions(Dida and Carlos come to mind).

Dida can be quite dodgy and Carlos' main job was going forward.

meant just the GK and centre backs....

• Advertisement

CAFU.

CAFU.

Did you even read what I just said?

Meant in ref to Sherifu's post. My bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

very disappointing altogether, had 5/6 chances to wrap it up and we were terribly unlucky but thats the way football goes! now lets hope we learn from this mistake and maintain the form of our first ten games. the next 4 games will make or break our season, if we can pick ourselves up and take 12 points it will show we have really matured from last season.

if we are still in it in April, i feel it will be a very successful season - it is rare a team will progress from 4th to 1st in one season. Before United won their first title under Alex Ferguson they finished 6th then 2nd, Blackburn went 4th, 2nd, 1st, Arsenal 5th, 3rd (losing out 2nd to Newcastle on goal difference), 1st, Chelsea 4th, 2nd, 1st.

28 games left, a possible 84 points - one loss does not end a title challenge....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

28 games left, a possible 84 points - one loss does not end a title challenge....

Oi, stop making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

very disappointing altogether, had 5/6 chances to wrap it up and we were terribly unlucky but thats the way football goes! now lets hope we learn from this mistake and maintain the form of our first ten games. the next 4 games will make or break our season, if we can pick ourselves up and take 12 points it will show we have really matured from last season.

if we are still in it in April, i feel it will be a very successful season - it is rare a team will progress from 4th to 1st in one season. Before United won their first title under Alex Ferguson they finished 6th then 2nd, Blackburn went 4th, 2nd, 1st, Arsenal 5th, 3rd (losing out 2nd to Newcastle on goal difference), 1st, Chelsea 4th, 2nd, 1st.

well said.

chelsea and utd suffered perhaps more "devastating" losses to us and have reacted well, chelsea in particular. i think how the team reacts to this will tell as much about how far they have progressed as much as the good start has.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone else had a look over here.. ->

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055409737

??

:eek:

I think sane supporters/analysts have abandoned it altogether from the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The United supporters in there are embarrassing. Probably why I was defending you lot for a change today. Jesus, if I could really speak my mind in that thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Archimedes wrote: »
    The United supporters in there are embarrassing. Probably why I was defending you lot for a change today. Jesus, if I could really speak my mind in that thread...

I couldn't resist being sucked in unfortunately.:pac:

Archimedes wrote: »

You can speak your mind. Say it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I think the 'other' thread says a lot about how treatened fans of other teams feel about Liverpool's start to the season.
    Now I'm off to sell my soul to the devil in exchange for tonight just being a blip and not the start of another cack November.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Better stay out of that thread you'd think the world had just ended. Suprs got their luck today and the luck we've had came back to bit us in th a$$ but that life and football. As has been said it's how you react to these matches that define your season and the ones that learn and react best are the ones that win titles. utd are the benchmark for that reason even when they get a bad start they just keep plugging away. Anyway on to the next game and a win will do justice. Torres back should help enormously and hopefully we'll be able to get that second goal before we give one away. 10 Games gone 28 to go. Roll on West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just said I'd post and admit that my early season predictions regarding Liverpool were completely wrong. I predicted they would finish no better than fourth but at this stage they have shown that they learned how to win ugly. The addition of Riera has made a big difference, but its the overall ruthlessness that has impressed me and the will to win when things are not going their way.
    The most important thing though is that they have got the goals in games they would have drawn and failed to deliver in last year. There has been three of these so far and Liverpool have full points in them.
    Credit where its due and hopefully this will result in a long awaited Premier League title. Its time the Pool were back on top. Still a long way to go but the first ten have been impressive.
    :D
    I'd hold off until after November, we have a history recently of absolutely sucking in November.
    And look what happens on the 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We expected to lose last week at Stamford Bridge and win today. If that is the way things had gone the reaction and analysis would have been much more even handed. Just as the "ZOMG THIS IS DEFINITELY OUR YEAR" comments after:

- beating Utd;
    - beating Chelsea;

when we performed decently and got a couple of key rubs of the green were idiotic, so are the "YOU'LL STRUGGLE TO FINISH FOURTH AND NEVER WIN THE LEAGUE UNDER BENITEZ" comments after:

- drawing to Stoke;
    - losing to Spurs;

when we performed generally well in both games and were very unlucky not to score a hatful during them.

Football analysis and punditry from fans and the media alike is incredibly frustrating. It remains absurdly hyperbolic and results based - and people consistently demonstrate a complete inability to be rational, logical and objective in relating what they saw to what they say about what they saw.

As I said at the start of the season, I do not think we will win the league. But the key for me is whether we have cut the gap to the eventual winners at the end of the year. Keep improving and moving forward. It's tough these days - Chelsea and Manchester Utd have set the bar very high and if in May we can conclude that we are getting closer we should be happy with that.

Next four games SHOULD be winnable when one considers how the formbook and respective squad strengths compare. If the players can focus their minds on their performance rather than the result they should be able to go out and set about their task in those games.

I'll talk more about Agger tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Out of interest, do any of the technically savvy people here have the capability to do a post check on some of the trolls over on the other match thread, and see how many of their posts are related to L'pool as opposed to their own team. Utd they support, is it...

Tbh i'm not posting in that match thread because if any Mod had a bit od sense they would have done something about the farce that it has become.

So in brief; the game was there to be won today. Lack of clinical finishing and a lifting of their game by Spurs in the last 20mins made the difference.
    would have to question Reina for both goals. He is a great shot stopper but could have done better with both efforts.
    On the plus side i think Alonso was v.good again and i like the fact that he is getting forward more. Should have buried that header though.

The most important thing now is to pick it up again and start another winning run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ibh wrote: »
    would have to question Reina for both goals. He is a great shot stopper but could have done better with both efforts.

Bentleys shot defied physics, wouldn't fault him too much for that, he was shocking for some crosses thou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Boggles wrote: »
    Bentleys shot defied physics, wouldn't fault him too much for that, he was shocking for some crosses thou.

maybe i'm being overly critical but he got a good hand to it, i'd like to see him put it out of play or a bit further from the danger zone.
    The crosses is a problem area for him (and also a lot of gk's, especially foreign keepers) so i have come to accept that from him.

I wasn't really impressed with Bentley tbh. I know he was involved in the winner but he is still a bit hot and cold to me. Thought Bent had a decent enough game though. Wonder will harry pair him and big Pav together now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

there was a lot to like about liverpools play.

Lack forward power will let them down in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

arbeloa was terrible today. dossena was invisible.

we need better full backs. simple as.

and yeah, loyd is right about agger. keeps getting **** wrong and carra has to cover his bum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Dossena got down the line well in support several times.
    He does seem to like bombing forward.
    His crosses were bloody awful though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Rush and Dalglish are the guests on goals on sunday at the moment..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

copacetic wrote: »
    Rush and Dalglish are the guests on goals on sunday at the moment..

I hope to god they didn't jump on the Whelan and Houghton bandwagon and slate everything to do with the club.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I hope to god they didn't jump on the Whelan and Houghton bandwagon and slate everything to do with the club.

No, they basically said we would be right up there this year but that Chelsea and Man Utd were both going to be hard to beat. Dalglish was impressed with Chelseas goal difference and felt it could be the difference in the end, already so far ahead of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis a pity a few teams wont lie down and die in front of Liverpool.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Tis a pity a few teams wont lie down and die in front of Liverpool.

Mike

Chelsea just have the extra little bit of quality in terms of finishing I think.

• Advertisement

Nah its not (just) that Boro and Sunderland were demonstratably pants.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Nah its not (just) that Boro and Sunderland were demonstratably pants.

Mike

As pool fans, we constantly gribe about not being given the respect that we deserve.. They trounced 3 teams that we just about beat.. I think they deserve a large amount of the credit they are getting and are rightly favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

BAD NEWS...

Fernando Torres suffered a " reaction" to his recent hamstring injury at Melwood earlier today,the full extent of the setback will not be known until further tests are carried out on Monday morning,as such a date cannot be known for his comeback until the test are carried out

From a reliable source(so it says) on RAWK... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whether he's fit or not, I don't think he should be risked against Atletico. On the evidence of the away leg, we should have enough to beat them if we take more than one chance that we make.

Torres should be given all necessary protection to ensure he's fit for the entire season, not constantly dogged by hammy problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Dalglish has always been nothing but complimentary towards the club any time I've heard him on Sky. Actually, that's probably why he's not on there too often as he refuses to be baited on topics such as rotation and zonal marking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sounds like a bogus story on RAWK from what's said below this morning..

Fernando Torres is winning his fitness race to be involved against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday night.
    The Liverpool striker is battling to overcome a hamstring injury in time to play a part against his former club, when the Reds will be looking for the victory which could secure qualification into the knock-out stages of the competition.

Speaking to Liverpoolfc.tv this morning, manager Rafael Benitez said: "Fernando has been working really, really hard and doing good work with the physios.

"He trained yesterday and will train again today and then we will see. I would say he has a 70 per cent chance of featuring in the game.

"Atletico Madrid was his first club and now he is with Liverpool - two massive clubs with lots of fans who love him, so this is massive for him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Given that Torres missed the game in Madrid I'd say he's desperate to feature in this one. It could also just be the official Liverpool site putting a positive spin on the situation to keep everyone guessing!

Be nice to have a couple of goals early and then let Torres have a 10 minute jog around the pitch toward the end. Nothing to demanding :)

If we can keep possession like we have in the last few games (last 30 minutes or so against Spurs excluded) then with a bit of luck we should be able to score a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

If Torres is fit, I say throw him on from the start. We've had enough chances against Spurs & Portsmouth. It cost on Saturday, almost cost us against Portsmouth.
    If he's fit play him.

Even if we lose to Athletico tomorrow we can still qualify comfortably so if there's any doubt I'd rather he gets a few more days rest.

Really should look for all the points tomorrow - 10 in the bag this week would be a real bonus.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,714 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully Benayoun plays a blinder against Athletico and gets someone interested in taking him off our hands. He might be grand in cup competitions but he'll never bring us a League title. Even Pennant offers more. Not too worried about Saturday, I deliberately stayed away from the naysayers and whatnot for the past few days, but we can regroup and go on. We hardly thought we were gonna win the league unbeaten considering the mishaps of the last few years? It sjust a blip. Sure Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea have already lost games. This might be just the wake up call we need to get more venom when bearing in on goal. I just wish Robbie would bang a few in and get over his obvious mental block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

I just wish Robbie would bang a few in and get over his obvious mental block.

Yes, he is losing confidence fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

from the beeb:
    Liverpool are optimistic striker Fernando Torres will win his race to be fit to face former club Atletico Madrid in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Torres, 24, has not played since suffering a hamstring injury last month, but manager Rafa Benitez hopes to have him in his squad

"Hopefully he'll be ready," he said on Monday. "If he cannot start then he will be on the bench if all is okay."

"I would say he has a 70 per cent chance of featuring in the game."

Despite Torres's absence, Liverpool ended Chelsea's 84-game unbeaten home record.

But they missed a host of gilt-edged chances in Saturday's 2-1 Premier League defeat at Tottenham, which cost them top spot to Chelsea.

And Benitez is keen to see the Spaniard back to help secure Liverpool's place in the last 16 of the Champions League.

"Fernando has been working really, really hard and doing good work with the physios," he told the club's website.

"He trained yesterday (Sunday) and will train again today and then we will see.

"Atletico Madrid was his first club and now he is with Liverpool - two big clubs with lots of fans who love him, so this is massive for him."

Torres missed the trip to the club he used to captain two weeks ago when a 1-1 draw left Liverpool and Atletico level at the top of Group D with seven points each.

Liverpool's home record against Spanish clubs is poor; they have failed to win any of the last five matches and did not score in the last four.

But Benitez sees the game as the perfect opportunity to quickly recover the momentum of a promising season following the defeat by Spurs.

"It's good we have another important game on Tuesday and the reaction of the players has to be to play well and win the game," he said after that game.

Atletico warmed up for the game with a 2-0 home victory over Real Mallorca in La Liga on Saturday.

Atletico coach Javier Aguirre's decision to bring Sergio Aguero back into his starting line-up paid off with the Argentine forward scoring both goals in their first league win in five matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hopefully Benayoun plays a blinder against Athletico and gets someone interested in taking him off our hands. He might be grand in cup competitions but he'll never bring us a League title. Even Pennant offers more.

Benayoun - 58 appearances- 11 goals
    Pennant - 54 appearances - 3 goals

Most of Benayouns are subs while a hell of a lot of Pennants would have been starts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement