Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Keane shouldn't go in for Kuyt, he should go in for Gerrard, play a fluid 4-4-2/4-2-3-1, with Gerrard as the right sided midfielder, and let Torres and Keane the most intelligent players you'll have do their stuff.

IMO what is needed is:

Gerrard
    Keane
    New Player
    Torres

New player can be left or right, as Gerrard can go left or right, although he might be better on the left.

Also with a formation that narrow, playing Carragher at RB would really hurt you in terms of width.

---

Midfield is kinda weak at the start of the season though. Getting Barry before you get Alonso, then shifting Alonso towards the end of the window may not be the worst idea in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

PHB wrote: »
    Keane shouldn't go in for Kuyt, he should go in for Gerrard, play a fluid 4-4-2/4-2-3-1, with Gerrard as the right sided midfielder, and let Torres and Keane the most intelligent players you'll have do their stuff.

IMO what is needed is:

Gerrard
    Keane
    New Player
    Torres

New player can be left or right, as Gerrard can go left or right, although he might be better on the left.

Also with a formation that narrow, playing Carragher at RB would really hurt you in terms of width.

---

Midfield is kinda weak at the start of the season though. Getting Barry before you get Alonso, then shifting Alonso towards the end of the window may not be the worst idea in the world.

Can't really agree with that personally to be honest.
    As bad a trait as it may be, Gerrard sulks when not central.
    I think that having him "officially" start centrally in a rolling three that flow all over the park will give him that, and allow him the freedom to attack as only he can.
    I don't see either of our wide player keeping any width, as we'll effectively be playing with wing backs for that.

An interchanging line up behind Torres of

Keane
    Gerrard
    Babel

Gerrard
    Keane
    Babel

Babel
    Keane
    Gerrard
    (etc) would be too much for most defences to handle.

Also, seeing as Torres likes to come wide sometimes, this creates space for Keane, Babel, and Gerrard to get even further forward.

Add to that Dossena and Degen getting the crosses in, and it's an abundance of attacking options right there.
    With Kuyt, HHH, Benayoun, Ngog, and maybe even Nemeth and to a lesser extent Pacheco coming off the bench.
    not to mention any other possible new signings.

This is all down to if the players are good enough to pull it off of course.

Plus the whole Olympics thing is being exaggerated a bit.
    It's for a couple of games, not half the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't neccessarily think that Keane is going to go straight in and replace Kuyt. Kuyt played out of his skin in the 4-2-3-1 and I reckon Rafa will stick with him for a lot of games.

I agree with PHB that the 4-2-3-1 system requires width from the fullbacks, and it's encouraging to note that the first 2 signings of the summer addressed this.

Macherano and Barry/Alonso are the obvious choices for the '2' in the formation.

However, if we have a situation where we keep Alonso and sign Barry, I can see Barry being used as the left-side of the '3'. Rafa has a fondness for defending from the front, and has repeatedly employed Dirk Kuyt to stifle the opposition in their own half. If Barry arrives and we keep Alonso, I can definitely see a Kuyt-Gerrard-Barry attacking trio in certain games.

The most important thing to note of our attacking four is the versatility.

Dirk Kuyt came to the club as a striker, but he plays as a wing-forward for Holland and now under Rafa too.

Babel is a wing-forward, but he has the attributes of a striker and will no doubt end up there in later years.

Gerrard is comfortable playing in the hole as a second striker, as well as playing in a free-role from the left or from the right.

Keane is a striker, but has been employed in a deeper role. Trapatoni has said he sees Keane in the 'Totti' role - ie. linking the midfield and the attack.

Torres is also a striker, but he has played deeper for both Atheti and for Spain. He's very mobile, and is as comfortable on the defender's shoulder as he is running at them ball-at-feet.

As such, while we may line up Keane-Gerrard-Babel with Torres up front on paper, we can expect to see plenty of movement as Gerrard drifts wide, Torres dropping deep, or Babel/Keane/Kuyt getting forward.

The Liverpool squad is looking a lot more versatile and flexible now than it has in recent times. If there was ever a criticism of Liverpool, it's that they relied too much on one player - recently Owen, then Gerrard - but now we have genuine skill, creativity and flexibility across our attacking positions. We now, hopefully, have a Plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Another Spanish youngster signs up -- Emmanuel Mendy from Murcia Deportivo

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160628080723-1032.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Reina

Carra
    Agger
    Sktel
    Degen
    Dossena
    Masch/Barry
    Gerard/Kuyt
    Gerrard/Keane
    Barry/Babel
    Torres/Keane

Something like this has been floating around some LFC forums quite a bit. with Kuyt and Barry that would allow Degen and Dossena to bomb forward, don't know about Masch on his own there though, but possibly Agger/Skrtel could act as second shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another reserveist, struth. I can only think this is a kind of investment programme, buy for under a million/free, keep em for a few years if they look like real prospects develope them, they they are only half-decent play them in the league cup and then sell for 3 million to a minor/middling side.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kop favourite Dalglish sent an email to AFC Liverpool chairman Alun Parry to support the venture.

He said: “Your greatest success could be bringing a part of Liverpool FC to many people's lives. All the very best.”

Rafa Benitez said: “My message is just to wish them all the best, to score lots of goals and progress to another level. It will be fantastic for us.”
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/22/reds-heroes-send-good-luck-emails-to-afc-liverpool-100252-21382981/

and Dirk Kuyt on the possibility of Keane coming to Liverpool, which Tony Barrett says is edging closer.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/23/robbie-keane-would-add-new-dimension-dirk-kuyt-100252-21389293/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Another reserveist, struth. I can only think this is a kind of investment programme, buy for under a million/free, keep em for a few years if they look like real prospects develope them, they they are only half-decent play them in the league cup and then sell for 3 million to a minor/middling side.

Mike.

Not the worst plan in the world.

In other news - the signing of David Ngog and Keane are immenient according to reports - fee of £1.5m agreed for Ngog. I wonder if he will take Nemeth's place as sub striker if Nemeth ends up moving to Leeds on loan as previously rumoured. Maybe battling Voronin for third choice striker? His recent record isnt great but apparently very good at underage for France. Definite potential and £1.5m looks like nothing for a player of his age with potential. Only worry - apparently he is Boumsoung's cousin (however that should probably mean he is deadly at confusing defenders and goal-keepers; sadly in Alain's case they were his own defenders and goalkeepers:p)

Just wish they would get the Keane thing done. Sick of waiting now.

Seems like the press are reporting that there was communciation between Parry and Villa regarding Barry - I just don't see how this deal would be done without selling Alonso.

Cant understand a situation where we would end up with Alonso and Barry in the squad and no new wide player :eek:

Ain't heard nothing about Itandje's move. Come on someone buy him already:mad:

Also no word yet on Leto's work permit. Really want this sorted one way or the other.

Also trust Voronin to miss the penalty in the game on German soil covered live on German television. :rolleyes: Bang goes any chance of the rumoured German teams being interested in him.

I think any rumours of Quaresma can safely be put to bed - mad interview altogether - sounds rather petulant in this - also sounds like Liverpool are better off without him. Interesting to see that they were discussions anyway. Would love to know when exactly.
    Alberto de Silva, Bola

Alberto de Silva: Ricardo, the nations still depressed (re: Euro 2008)

Quaresma: Yes, I am aware, but these things happen in football, we must just look at the issues and put them right for the world cup.

Alberto de Silva: Was it anything in particular, anything you could have changed if you were on the pitch?

Quaresma: No, I don’t think so. I think this year had allotted of very strong teams and this perhaps took us back.

Alberto de Silva: You weren't prepared?

Quaresma: No, I didn't say that, I just think this was a particularly tough tournament with some very exciting teams

Alberto de Silva: Was it anything to do with Scolari already stating he was going? Or perhaps your friend Ronaldo's choice of club?

Quaresma: No, I wouldn't say either effected us in any real way, we heard things, and we knew things were happening but neither could be the reason why we failed.

Alberto de Silva: Did Christiano ever talk to you about his future? Did he put pressure on players to help him out at all?

Quaresma: He did talk to me, we spoke about many things but his business is his business and we view our profession in a slightly different light.

Alberto de Silva: Ronaldo is seen as the more enthusiastic, your more into designer gear and partying aren't you?

Quaresma: Not at all, I don’t understand why you and half the world seem to see me in this light, I very rarely go out 'clubbing' or 'partying' I just like to have a good time as I have worked hard my whole life to afford this lifestyle.

Alberto de Silva: But whilst your friend is out there winning the Premier League title and the European cup, you have done very little to move, you seem happy to play in Portugal and not test yourself, you seem determined not to venture. Look at your time in Barca, you were pushed out very quickly there because you simply weren't interested were you?

Quaresma: Look (with very miserable expression) I am tired, I am tired of Christiano being some kind of benchmark for me, I am tired of people saying I’m not ambitious. I did try very hard at Barca but it didn't work out, simple really, sometimes no matter how hard you try, you just can’t win.

Alberto de Silva: So why is it three months ago you said you were leaving, why is it you made it publicly clear that you were gone, but somehow you still sit here, on your own with your feet up watching cartoons?

Quaresma: I only stayed in to have this discussion with you. I am here because the right offer has not come up.

Alberto de Silva: Not enough money?

Quaresma: Your very good at twisting my words. Not about money, it's about making the right choice; I don’t want to end up in the situation I was in before (Re: Barcelona)

Alberto de Silva: You had some very big clubs after you last season, why not of moved then?

Quaresma: I wanted to say good-bye properly. I wanted to make people happy.

Alberto de Silva: You could've made people happy moving last year, you are a very exciting talent who could've made a name for himself, like Christiano, Instead your price tag has dropped and your desirability has fallen, maybe due to the bad attention you get for perhaps 'play acting'

Quaresma: You seem very interested in Christiano, I think you feel I am jealous of him

Alberto de Silva: You are though aren’t you?

Quaresma: No, that is why I am still here, because I don’t need to prove myself, as you said, last summer I had huge clubs after me, two in particular but I wanted to help FC Porto.

Alberto de Silva: I heard an English club had discussions with you, before rejecting you.

Quaresma: You must be talking about Liverpool? Well yes their representative came to me, and we spoke. They did not reject me, I believe they wanted to kind of change my role; they wanted me to be less expressive on the pitch and be more aggressive.

Alberto de Silva: What is wrong with that, after all most clubs would want to see you doing less of the tricks and more of the work. Scolari didn't like it that is why you upset him in Switzerland.

Quaresma: I didn't upset him, I just tried something different and it didn't work. If Liverpool had come to me and said they wanted me to be me, I would've moved, they are doing something special and their fans are incredible, I know of no other team with fans who care so much. I remember Fernando Torres scoring against us and the noise was defening. They were incredible.

Alberto de Silva: So have they approached this summer, perhaps with different views?

Quaresma: I cannot comment, many clubs have spoken to my agent and me.

Alberto de Silva: Not Chelsea though, Scolari doesn’t believe in you.

Quaresma: Perhaps not, but I believe in myself and many clubs do. I like the Premier League to watch, very fast paced and games change quickly.

Alberto de Silva: Would be great for you to actually summon up the effort to take that league on then.

Quaresma: Perhaps. We will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I think any rumours of Quaresma can safely be put to bed - mad interview altogether - sounds rather petulant in this - also sounds like Liverpool are better off without him. Interesting to see that they were discussions anyway. Would love to know when exactly.

Is that interview for real? Source?

The interviewer sounds like a right berk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

the interviewer was a bit of a bollix too though.

Also no word yet on Leto's work permit. Really want this sorted one way or the other.

I think Rafa said a few days ago that the situation should be clear within 10 days. Can't remember where I read that though.

interviewers on the continent seem to be a lot more aggressive, remember a similar one with Torres where the interviewer was pretty much slating him about moving and improving since his move.

weird.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    interviewers on the continent seem to be a lot more aggressive, remember a similar one with Torres where the interviewer was pretty much slating him about moving and improving since his move.

weird.

I think I saw somewhere that the interviewer was an Athletico Madrid fan who was disgruntled that Torres had moved.

Don't have a direct link for the Quaresma interview - Alberto de Silva writes for the Portugese paper Bola, where the interview is taken from apparently.
    I just nicked it from another forum. I suppose there is the possibility of mistranslation but matches the rumours that we were interested in Quaresma but didn't like his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aye that Torres one before was harsh alright.

Quaresma came across a lot better then i expected to be honest. Interviewer was incredibly tough on him. Was good to hear what he said about the choice Rafa gave him though, that we wanted him, but only if he'd do more work and less nancy-boying. Pretty much the exact circumstances I wouldn't mind him coming under, and the fact that he let the opportunity go suggests he wasn't the player for us anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I think Rafa said a few days ago that the situation should be clear within 10 days. Can't remember where I read that though.

Article was on the 17th

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160556080716-2117.htm

Hopefully it will be sorted by next week so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Haha Quaresma doesn't come off bad in that interview at all. What was he supposed to say like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, it's refreshing to see a real interview. When was the last time a premiership player was asked about stuff like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that was a very strange interview. kudos for posting it. I know the interviewer came down hard, but it's pretty clear all right that Quaresma has a pretty lofty opinion of himself. he comes across as reasonable, but someone who wants to be be the big fish, which wont happen at Liverpool. It's a pity as he has so much potential but i think i now understand why he didn't start at the EUROs.

on the Leto thing? can he even qualify for a work permit, he's nowhere close to the international teams i thought. Pool signed him thinking he had an Italian passport didn't they?

• Advertisement

Quaresma wrote:
    they are doing something special and their fans are incredible, I know of no other team with fans who care so much. I remember Fernando Torres scoring against us and the noise was defening. They were incredible.

I've always loved that lad ;)

The passport situation is all up in the air. There's an enquiry into the validity of a lot of Italian passports held by South Americans, and Leto's is amongst those being queried.

I think that Queresma came off a lot better in that than I thought he would have.

He doesn't actually say that he's not coming to Liverpool though.
    He said that Liverpool came to him last season and asked him to play differently and he said no.

When the Reporter asked if Liverpool had been back in contact this season he said "I cannot comment, many clubs have spoken to my agent and me."

That tells me that we have gone back looking for him.

Liverpool sign Spanish teenager

Liverpool have signed 18-year-old right-back Emmanuel Mendy on a free transfer from Spanish third division side Murcia Deportivo.
    The Spanish teenager, who can also play at left-back, is expected to compete for a place in the reserve set-up overseen by Gary Ablett.
    The Reds have made several youth signings over the summer.
    Mendy joins Christopher Buchtmann, Nikola Saric, Zsolt Poloskei and Vincent Lucas Weijl at Anfield.
    Manager Rafael Benitez has added Philipp Degen, Andrea Dossena and Diego Cavalieri to his senior squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7521323.stm

Spanish 3rd Division? That's some scouting network.

When the Reporter asked if Liverpool had been back in contact this season he said "I cannot comment, many clubs have spoken to my agent and me."

That tells me that we have gone back looking for him.

I doubt that highly - I'd imagine it was other clubs beside Liverpool he was talking about. Would imagine there is virtually no possibility that Liverpool are going to sign him.

Also on the Leto thing - shouldnt have said work permit - meant passport.
    I think the ten day quote from Rafa was after the last friendly was it Thursday or Friday? So should know early next week - fingers crossed

I doubt that highly - I'd imagine it was other clubs beside Liverpool he was talking about. Would imagine there is virtually no possibility that Liverpool are going to sign him.

I don't really agree there.

Queresma will cost a lot less now than last season, and nobody can doubt the potential.

He hints towards the premiership repeatedly.
    Won't go to Chelsea.
    Utd wouldn't have shown interest seeing as they're insisting on keeping Ronaldo.
    That leaves us and Arsenal realistically.

Well maybe Man City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7521323.stm

Spanish 3rd Division? That's some scouting network.

if even a third of these kids turn out half decent then we might have something special.Rafa seems to be following the wenger route and we also have signed these lads from all over the world,danish,spanisg,dutch.
    A bright future hopefully

I don't really agree there.

Queresma will cost a lot less now than last season, and nobody can doubt the potential.

He hints towards the premiership repeatedly.
    Won't go to Chelsea.
    Utd wouldn't have shown interest seeing as they're insisting on keeping Ronaldo.
    That leaves us and Arsenal realistically.

Well maybe Man City.

sorry Karma will have to disagree to agree on this one :p - just don't see Rafa as being interested in a prima donna player who refuses to adapt his game for the benefit of the team. Doesn't sound like a Rafa signing at all. We shall see in the fullness of time, I suppose.

Could also see Chelsea being possibly interested if they don't get Robinho. Also in the unlikely event Ronaldo does move, I think he would be one of the players Utd might consider.

sorry Karma will have to disagree to agree on this one :p - just don't see Rafa as being interested in a prima donna player who refuses to adapt his game for the benefit of the team. Doesn't sound like a Rafa signing at all. We shall see in the fullness of time, I suppose.

Could also see Chelsea being possibly interested if they don't get Robinho. Also in the unlikely event Ronaldo does move, I think he would be one of the players Utd might consider.

Scolari would never sign Queresma in a million years.
    Big personal issues.

Rafa obviously sees something in Queresma.
    I'm not a big fan myself, but IRWT.

A player not wanting to change, and then coming to the club and changing are two different things.
    I seem to remember a certain Fernando Torres saying that one of the reasons he came to Liverpool was so that he would no longer have to play up front on his own.
    Look how that worked out!

On the issue of David N'Gog, I was checking him up on Wiki. His underage stats for France are impressive:

---Year
    Level--Appearances--Goals
    2004-2005 - U16
    2005-2006 - U17
    2007-2008 - U19

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ngog

Not quite sure if he's ready for 4th choice striker spot though. Could be a little inexperienced. Would prefer to see Nemeth take the step up instead, and let N'Gog get a little conditioning in the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jimmy Rice 23 July 2008

Stephen Darby admits he is desperate for more first-team action after holding his own in front of 51,000 fans in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.

The Scouse right-back put in a decent display during 45 minutes against Hertha Berlin on Tuesday night.

Darby has been integral to the success of the under-18 and reserve teams over the past three seasons – and now he's aiming for a competitive debut for the first team in 2008-09.

"I am pleased with how it went," the 19-year-old told Liverpoolfc.tv after the Hertha friendly.

"To play in that stadium was great. I think the attendance was 51,000, which is the biggest crowd I've played in front of. I'd obviously like to do it more often in the future.

"It has been an amazing experience to play alongside the first team through pre-season. It's the kind of thing you dream about as a kid. Hopefully there is more of it to come during the season.

"The main differences I have noticed are the speed of the game and the strength of the players, but Rafa, Sammy Lee and the other staff have been and always are here to help me improve."

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Scolari would never sign Queresma in a million years.
    Big personal issues.

Rafa obviously sees something in Queresma.
    I'm not a big fan myself, but IRWT.

A player not wanting to change, and then coming to the club and changing are two different things.
    I seem to remember a certain Fernando Torres saying that one of the reasons he came to Liverpool was so that he would no longer have to play up front on his own.
    Look how that worked out!

Well actually no, it was more along the lines of, he felt like the expectations to score did not only rest on his shoulders whereas in Athletico he always felt like HE has to score.

dardoz wrote: »
    Well actually no, it was more along the lines of, he felt like the expectations to score did not only rest on his shoulders whereas in Athletico he always felt like HE has to score.

Well yes actually.

I'll try to find the interview now, but he most definately said that it was because he wouldn't be playing on his own.
    I know the interview that you're talking about, but I'm reffering to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

In regards to Dossena and Degen, i'd imagined they'd be played a lot more against the lesser teams. They could be handy to have to cut out those stupid draws and dropped points that cost us so much last season. They'be be great attacking options to help cut open these lesser teams, but the way the play i could see us being caught out a lot more against the better teams because they leave so much space behind which is probably where the likes of Finnan would come in (if he's still there) to provide better defensive cover.

monkey9 wrote: »
    In regards to Dossena and Degen, i'd imagined they'd be played a lot more against the lesser teams. They could be handy to have to cut out those stupid draws and dropped points that cost us so much last season. They'be be great attacking options to help cut open these lesser teams, but the way the play i could see us being caught out a lot more against the better teams because they leave so much space behind which is probably where the likes of Finnan would come in (if he's still there) to provide better defensive cover.

But that's why we play with two deep defensive midfield players.
    When the wing backs go forward, Masch and Balonsy are there to cover.

and by all accounts Dossena and Degen are trains!
    They'll run up and down all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so anyone any idea why the keane transfer is dragging out, it coudltn be a funding issue could it? are we waiting to sell any players besides Xabi and Pennant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

raven136 wrote: »
    if even a third of these kids turn out half decent then we might have something special.Rafa seems to be following the wenger route and we also have signed these lads from all over the world,danish,spanisg,dutch.
    A bright future hopefully

No irish from what I hear.. shame. so many liverpool fans over here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

so anyone any idea why the keane transfer is dragging out, it coudltn be a funding issue could it? are we waiting to sell any players besides Xabi and Pennant?

Some websites are reporting Keane's medical will be Thur/Friday this week - also the price is £16m.

Liverpool are back at Melwood on Thursday and fly to Spain Sunday.

This Info is coming via Tony Barnett at The Echo (allegedly).

No irish from what I hear.. shame. so many liverpool fans over here.

Well he hasn't signed up any Irish in a while, but Michael Collins is in the Youths over there, and doing well. Very highly rated.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Some websites are reporting Keane's medical will be Thur/Friday this week - also the price is £16m.

Liverpool are back at Melwood on Thursday and fly to Spain Sunday.

This Info is coming via Tony Barnett at The Echo (allegedly).

£16 would be an absolute steal!
    Surely there'd be add ons.

Rumours of performance-based add-ons as well as an add-on for winning the league or champions league while Keane is with us. Hopefully there'll be movement on this before the squad jet off again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I wouldn't panic before the middle of next week, hopefully ngog and keane join by friday. and we can consider 1 more but probably/hopefully not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

4-4-2 please. lets not pray at rafas mathematical penis and stick a centre forward on the right.... thats wat overpriced RWF are for, not robbie keane, who is a brilliant centre forward.

basically - lets not be softcocks

A static 4-4-2 is dead and buried in the modern European game.

Look at the top teams in Europe. Do any of them play 4-4-2? Man Utd don't. Chelsea don't. Arsenal don't. Barca don't. Madrid don't. Milan don't.

Increasingly, attackers have to be more and more mobile, to 'play between the lines' as they say. It's not enough to saunter around the penalty area hoping to get on the end of a cross for 90 minutes. Strikers like Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres are thankfully very mobile, are comfortable coming from deep and will work a huge amount off the ball to create space for themselves and their teammates.

Rafa's not going to play Keane on the wing. I doubt very much he's going to start Keane and Torres together in a 4-4-2. Keane will drop deeper, and as we don't have wide men, our width will be from fullbacks. Our attacking midfielders will be tucked-in, as this suits the playing style of Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard and Benayoun.

Ergo, a 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup, my preference is basically a 4-2-3-1, with a slight variation of 4-1-1-3-1 playing a DM and CM.

The benefit of having Keane / Torres / Gerrard is that none of them will be playing a traditional role, and like NBM says they'll be moving between the lines in the attacking third - the huge benefit here is the difficulty in marking them (who picks up who)

If Keane does come, it will be the first time in a long time that we can say we've got 3 quality matchwinners.

I expect to see a variation in formation, as it seemed that we played the best formation for the players we had, and when Rafa trusted the team with the 4-2-3-1 - the performances were surprising, implemented almost by accident when we didn't really have the players for it (no attacking FBs / WFs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

A static 4-4-2 is dead and buried in the modern European game.

Look at the top teams in Europe. Do any of them play 4-4-2? Man Utd don't. Chelsea don't. Arsenal don't. Barca don't. Madrid don't. Milan don't.

Increasingly, attackers have to be more and more mobile, to 'play between the lines' as they say. It's not enough to saunter around the penalty area hoping to get on the end of a cross for 90 minutes. Strikers like Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres are thankfully very mobile, are comfortable coming from deep and will work a huge amount off the ball to create space for themselves and their teammates.

Rafa's not going to play Keane on the wing. I doubt very much he's going to start Keane and Torres together in a 4-4-2. Keane will drop deeper, and as we don't have wide men, our width will be from fullbacks. Our attacking midfielders will be tucked-in, as this suits the playing style of Babel, Kuyt, Gerrard and Benayoun.

Ergo, a 4-2-3-1.

Good point and i have to agree.4-4-2 is a thing of the past and there is no way Rafa will employ Keano in this system.No doubt Rafa's thinking behind the system is the signing of the two attacking full backs and keane will play deep.Looking forward to seeing us play with this system :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Talks of Keane having a medical either today or tomorrow are very premature IMO - pics of him training with Spurs in Spain yesterday looking happy and content.

Christ, why can't we just hear some concrete news on this - either say yes Spurs have accepted an offer, or no, Spurs have told us to **** right off.

Need some closure on this, not only for getting the team ready for the season ahead, but for the sanity of idiots like me that keep checking various news sources every couple of minutes to see if there's any "Keane to Liverpool" news.

Sheesh!!! :confused:

N'Gog signing not far away now.....
    Striker On Merseyside To Complete Anfield Switch

Reports are emanating from the French press that David Ngog is on Merseyside in order to complete a £1.5million move to Liverpool.

It is claimed that the PSG striker arrived in Liverpool on Wednesday to be shown around the club and to undergo a routine medical.
    Setanta Sports stated that the player’s club, had permitted the 19-year-old to miss training on Wednesday due to ‘exceptional circumstances’.
    Rumours are gathering pace in France that the forward is on the verge of signing a long-term contract with the Premier League side.
    Despite having scored just one Ligue 1 goal, Ngog is believed to be ready to make the considerable step up to the English top flight.
    Earlier this week, Rafa Benitez completed the signing of Emmanuel Mendy from Murcia of Spain’s third division, although the player is believed to be heading to Liverpool’s reserve side under Gary Ablett.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=789472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Keane won't be sold until Spurs have a replacement and that seems to be extremely difficult so he may well be staying at Spurs.

• Advertisement

Just remembered that one of my dreams last night was us resigning Luis Garcia...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement