Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

G & H as well as Parry, were all in a hotel in California last week, in a meeting with a party led by Abdul.

No way that bit happened then. If Parry had been involved in such a meeting it would be common knowledge by now - his office seems to have more leeks than a sieve full of water.

Share Liverpools letter to Gillet & Hicks makes the times www site. Wonder if it made it to print or will make it into tomorrows edition.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5098498.ece

A lot of pressure seems to be mounting on them and still no formal denial that they're looking to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

While I'd be happy to see a change of owners, the happiness would be miniscule compared to the disgust I feel at the thought of that pair turning such an easy profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

zing wrote: »
    Share Liverpools letter to Gillet & Hicks makes the times www site. Wonder if it made it to print or will make it into tomorrows edition.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5098498.ece

A lot of pressure seems to be mounting on them and still no formal denial that they're looking to sell.
    The lads who wrote this are either very naive, or else not honestly looking for G & H to sell to them and are just trying to get their backs up:
    Along with the vast majority of Liverpool fans, we agree with your decision to withdraw
    get out, in other words...
    We are not motivated by making a profit from the commercial exploitation of Liverpool FC
    as in you were...
    We believe we represent a real opportunity for both of you to bring to an end a troubled period of ownership; an ‘exit strategy’
    you were sh*t owners and everyone knows it....

Do they not know that this kind of inflamatory language is going to make a pig-headed Texan like Hicks try to sell to anyone but them??

It's just a silly little publicity stunt. Big pat on the back lads, you got your name in the paper.

joker77 wrote: »
    The lads who wrote this are either very naive, or else not honestly looking for G & H to sell to them and are just trying to get their backs up

I think it's a little of both tbh. There's new talk of other investors in their statements so it looks like they know they can't go it alone.

Regardless of which I think it's essential that there's plenty of press about the dislike (understatement of the year) towards Gillet & Hicks. IIRC Gillet in his interview on Canadian radio last week basically said something along the lines of the the fans had gotten over the hostility and were starting to enjoy the team playing. If he thinks we've gotten over the hostility then he needs regular reminding that we've not.

It's doubly important as they try to refinance again for the banks & other financial institutions to see the bad press towards the pair. They're likely to be encouraging them to sell in this climate anyway (but not forcing them) and every little bit of bad press should put more pressure on them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Setanta Ireland are showing the WBA game 17.15 - 20.00 hrs

Mike

don't forget to just tune in for the first & last 10 mins - not much tends to happen over the remainder of the time these days ;)

Heh! Ah watching Liverpool is how I keep my weight down :p

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Another player's house robbed,I just heard lucas's house has been done now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Another player's house robbed,I just heard lucas's house has been done now too.
    :eek::eek:

I wonder does this only happen to Liverpool players, or is it only reported because it's Liverpool players.

It's shocking.

• Advertisement

By the way if any of you lot are into Golf Irishkop are starting up a Golf Society,the first outing is to the Woodlands Golf Cub Properous Kildare on 22nd November.

Cost €80.00 Includes Bus pick up, Golf, Dinner.

A few beers in the clubhouse after the golf for that game on the box that day.What more could you want,a day golfing with fellow reds a few pints and a game after it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Dub13 wrote: »
    By the way if any of you lot are into Golf Irishkop are starting up a Golf Society,the first outing is to the Woodlands Golf Cub Properous Kildare on 22nd November.

Cost €80.00 Includes Bus pick up, Golf, Dinner.

A few beers in the clubhouse after the golf for that game on the box that day.What more could you want,a day golfing with fellow reds a few pints and a game after it.

Hi Dub, I just signed up for Irish Kop. I'm only a beginner at golf but thats mainly cos not many of my friends play it so I never have anyone to practice with. This is the kind of opportunity I've been waiting for...If you take noobs that is :p

Rafa offered new contract - listening to RTEs sport heads just now the guy chatting to Pat Kenny, started by saying "Rafa Benitez has" pauses "been offered a new contract"

My heart missed a beat! I was ready for "has resigned/been sacked"

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Will he accept though? How long is the contract extension for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    Rafa offered new contract - listening to RTEs sport heads just now the guy chatting to Pat Kenny, started by saying "Rafa Benitez has" pauses "been offered a new contract"

My heart missed a beat! I was ready for "has resigned/been sacked"

Mike

Great news.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162002081107-1049.htm

He seems happy at the news.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is Torres due to start playing again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

delighted Rafa will be getting an extension. if nothing else its a signal from the yanks that they realise the work he has done and its a show of confidence in him at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is Torres due to start playing again?
    Yes - link

• Advertisement

Reading that he seems to be dropping lots of hints about a long term contract. If the American Gangsters give him that they'll have done one thing right :)

dardoz wrote: »
    Hi Dub, I just signed up for Irish Kop. I'm only a beginner at golf but thats mainly cos not many of my friends play it so I never have anyone to practice with. This is the kind of opportunity I've been waiting for...If you take noobs that is :p

Hi,

Welcome on board.Are you going to play the first outing..?

I think I'll just join up for the moment and start off in the New year. Really busy run up to Christmas so I'm not likely to be able to commit to the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

prendy wrote: »
    delighted Rafa will be getting an extension. if nothing else its a signal from the yanks that they realise the work he has done and its a show of confidence in him at last.

Lads,

Is it the general consensus that everyone is delighted with this?

While I think he's a good manager I think he's been a bit slow in making the squad consistent formidible opponents. I'm always very uneasy watching them against the lesser clubs and you have to say they get their fair share of luck.

I wouldn't have minded seeing someone like Martin O'Neill get a chance and I'd love to get Guus Hiddink at the helm. I know they're not available but I think they'd be two of the managers I'd like for Liverpool if good aul Rafa 'rotation' Benitez was to leave.

With all he's done he makes some bizzare decisions that have cost us points in matches we should have won. At least he's not that bad this season in that regard I'll admit.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have minded seeing someone like Martin O'Neill get a chance and I'd love to get Guus Hiddink at the helm. I know they're not available but I think they'd be two of the managers I'd like for Liverpool if good aul Rafa 'rotation' Benitez was to leave.

Rafa is twice the manager ether of these two will ever be.I think you are selling Rafa short by saying he is a 'good manager' he is world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I wouldn't have minded seeing someone like Martin O'Neill get a chance
    What the hell has Martin O'Neill ever done to be mentioned as being of the calibre as Rafa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lads,

While I think he's a good manager I think he's been a bit slow in making the squad consistent formidible opponents. I'm always very uneasy watching them against the lesser clubs and you have to say they get their fair share of luck.

With all he's done he makes some bizzare decisions that have cost us points in matches we should have won. At least he's not that bad this season in that regard I'll admit.

Id have Rafa over MON or Hiddink any day of the week. Id prefer him to 99.9% of managers out there tbh. And theres nobody even remotely free who i'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

martin o neil is a lunatic yes he may be a good motivator but that's it rafa is world class who else could get djimi traore a champions league medal

martin o neil is a lunatic yes he may be a good motivator but that's it rafa is world class who else could get djimi traore a champions league medal
    Not to mention Igor Biscan, Vladimir Smicer and Milan Baros :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Lads,

I'm delighted he's been offered an extension. Does this mean the yanks are lookin' to stay in the future?
    It's only now Rafa seems happy with the squad. But yes there is always room for improvement in the squad.
    Rafa's had limited funds and probably still have poor enough funds in the future, unless the club is sold.
    He's had to do some wheelin' & dealin' where the likes of other managers at big clubs didn't need to.
    MON, no thanks, good manager but he's done fup all[bar with Celtic]. Hiddink, I do like, but again, wouldn't have him over Rafa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

malice_ wrote: »
    Not to mention Igor Biscan, Vladimir Smicer and Milan Baros :).

*cough* Harry Kewell *cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Rafa's contract not being renewed would have been a greater disaster for the club than the recent takeover by those ****es was.

Rafa gets no where near the credit he should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

OK so I get the general consensus now. I didn't think everyone would be so happy with him to be honest.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll last the pace in the EPL with this squad. Robbie just doing ok and Dossena? Well fair enough he needs time to settle but he looks like a donkey from seeing all the games he's played.

Babel can be a great player if he gets a good chance. There was a good few ideal matches for him to get a run this season and he didn't start him.

Just saying I thought he would have done things a little differently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

OK so I get the general consensus now. I didn't think everyone would be so happy with him to be honest.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll last the pace in the EPL with this squad. Robbie just doing ok and Dossena? Well fair enough he needs time to settle but he looks like a donkey from seeing all the games he's played.

Babel can be a great player if he gets a good chance. There was a good few ideal matches for him to get a run this season and he didn't start him.

Just saying I thought he would have done things a little differently...

Wouldn't rate Dossena myself but Keanes been doing alright bar the lack of
    goals. We can't really blame him if the squad dont have enough to go all the way cause we don't have the money to compete with united and Chelsea, were doing well to compete with the money we have.

Im a fan of Babel and he will be a great player but he's still a little raw. He's getting better ever game but you get more consistency with Riera, Riera has only had one bad game so Rafa has been justified starting him on the left as much as he does. You could start Babel on the right either but it's a gamble as he's performed poorly there a number of times in the past, he would have been a good option up front while Torres was out

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we'll last the pace in the EPL with this squad.
    You could be right but even if we don't I want Rafa at the club for a long time. It could be a few years before we win the league.
    It can be frustrating sometimes when we can't break down weaker teams and Rafa does make some interesting positional choices for players but the way he's dismantled and rebuilt the youth systems and other aspects of the club just gives me a feeling that although 4 years into his reign we're only starting to see the club as Rafa wants it.
    It's only going to get better...have faith.

You have to remember Rafa has not been getting the backing he needs money wise,most of the players he bought have been his 5th ot 6th choice for the positions.He is doing a super job given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Classic spot on. good auld djimi, anyone got a link to his michael jackson OG..:pac:

DeadSkin wrote: »
    *cough* Harry Kewell *cough*
    See, that's how good a job Riera's done on the left of midfield, I've completely forgotten Kewell ;). In fairness to Igor, there were a few games that season where he ran the show in the centre of midfield, especially in Europe (actually, it may only have been in Europe :) ). Remember this run and pass for Luis Garcia against Leverkusen?

Why not? He's operating on a smaller budget than all of the other big 4 managers, he gets little credit when Liverpool win (according to most of the media the Man Utd win was down to them playing badly, not anything Liverpool did :rolleyes:) and all the flak when Liverpool don't.

I think the only Liverpool fans who are not happy with him are the kind of ones who start moaning if the team isn't 3-0 up after 20 minutes of a game and would only be satisfied if Liverpool won every competition they entered.

Sure Rafa makes mistakes but I don't think there is another manager out there who could achieved what he has achieved in his career so far. Remember, this is reality, not Pro Evo or Football Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

That was a great run and pass by Igor in fairness! Where is he now?

Dinamo Zagreb

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Keith, the very fact that you call him Rafa "rotation" Benitez sums everything up for me.

Rafa rotates less than the premiership average, and of the big 4 clubs, only Wenger at Arsenal rotates less.

Stop believing what the media tell you, as they talk 90% sh*te.

Rafa is one of the most respected and inteligent managers in the world.
    MON is an angry little man with a chip on his shoulder.
    Rafa is the future of this club.
    He sees things instantly that it takes us fans a long time to see.

Look at Kuyt for instance.
    I freely admit that I was on Kuyts back for most of last season.
    Only seing the bad, and ignoring all the good he's done.
    I've finally seen what Rafa did from the very start.
    Liverpool play better with Kuyt on the pitch.

I read an article earlier that highlighted it perfectly.
    When Kuyt plays, Liverpool are three times as likely to win.
    Half as likely to concede.
    And most importantly, pick up an average of double the points from when he doesn't play!

That's incredible!!!

Dirk Diggler is a legend, and if Rafa hadn't stuck with him, against the vast majority of the fans vocal wishes, we wouldn't be flying high now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

MON is an angry little man with a chip on his shoulder.

irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Jazzy wrote: »
    irony

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

You've actually made my day Jazzy old boy.

For you to imply irony in someone having a chip on their shoulder goes beyond irony!

ironymeter1la.gif

Fairplay man.

That was special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

late to the party, but **** yes a win against WBA was needed.

3 left footed goals, 2 beauties from Keane, [I assume he got MotM?]

Well pleased with the performance. Was looking like a draw prior to keanes first goal, WBA looked solid on the ball to me.

3 ahead of chelsea to play tomorrow, 6 ahead of arsenal, 8 ahead of Utd [with a game in hand tho but thank you arsenal/nasri!]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As I make it, the Big Four mini-league so far...

Liverpool P2 W2 6 points
    Arsenal P1 W1 3 Points
    Chelsea P2 D2 2 Points
    Man Utd P3 D1 L2 1 Point

That makes a change! The winner of this mini-league has typically gone on to win the league. Read into that what you may, but it is obvious that Liverpool's dismal league record against the big teams contributed to our lack of domestic success. Nice to see that could be changing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

As I make it, the Big Four mini-league so far...

Liverpool P2 W2 6 points
    Arsenal P1 W1 3 Points
    Chelsea P2 D2 2 Points
    Man Utd P3 D1 L2 1 Point

That makes a change! The winner of this mini-league has typically gone on to win the league. Read into that what you may, but it is obvious that Liverpool's dismal league record against the big teams contributed to our lack of domestic success. Nice to see that could be changing!

It's definitely satisfying to be top of that mini table, but I'm pretty sure Arsenal topped it in the last few years without winning the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Here are the figures, from the ever-excellent The Knowledge column on The Guardian's website.
    2002/03
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Man U 83pts, Arsenal 78, Chelsea 67, Liverpool 64
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Man U 14pts, Arsenal 7, Liverpool 5, Chelsea 5

2003/04
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Arsenal 90pts, Chelsea 79, Man U 75, Liverpool 60
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Arsenal 14pts, Chelsea 7, Man U 6, Liverpool 6

2004/05
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Chelsea 95pts, Arsenal 83, Man U 77, Liverpool 58
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Chelsea 14pts, Man U 12, Arsenal 5, Liverpool 3

2005/06
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Chelsea 91pts, Man U 83, Liverpool 82, Arsenal 67
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Chelsea 15pts, Man U 11, Liverpool 4, Arsenal 4

2006/07
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Man U 89pts, Chelsea 83, Liverpool 68, Arsenal 68
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Arsenal 14pts, Man U 11, Liverpool 6, Chelsea 5

2007/08
    PREMIER LEAGUE: Man U 87pts, Chelsea 85, Arsenal 83, Liverpool 76
    BIG FOUR LEAGUE: Man U 13pts, Chelsea 10, Arsenal 6, Liverpool 4

guys I know this is way OTT but I also know one of you will know the answer to this quicker than any1. Where can I find a stream for the Calzaghe vs Jones Jnr fight tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

justin.tv will have it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

dardoz wrote: »
    guys I know this is way OTT but I also know one of you will know the answer to this quicker than any1. Where can I find a stream for the Calzaghe vs Jones Jnr fight tonight?
    http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=23193&part=sports

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement