Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Boggles wrote: »
    He wouldn't be Fergusons to sell.

Completely forgot about that when I was posting...it's late! Ye better not show too much interest so, otherwise Fergie will definitely buy him to spite ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

i cant see fergie buying him though so he might be a good loan deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Can't imagine there being such a lack of offers for Tevez that MSI are forced to loan him out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

But they seem to be making a fair chunk of money from loaning/leasing the likes of him & Masch. Once their sold they're sold and there's sfa more money for MSI to earn from them but if you can lease them for a couple of years and still sell them for big $$$ afterwards then maybe it makes a certain amount of sense for them ? They're guaranteeing revenue on the back of them for another year or two. Tevez is still only 24 or so so it's not as if his value would drop over the course of such a loan deal.

Idle speculation anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

zing wrote: »
    But they seem to be making a fair chunk of money from loaning/leasing the likes of him & Masch. Once their sold they're sold and there's sfa more money for MSI to earn from them but if you can lease them for a couple of years and still sell them for big $$$ afterwards then maybe it makes a certain amount of sense for them ? They're guaranteeing revenue on the back of them for another year or two. Tevez is still only 24 or so so it's not as if his value would drop over the course of such a loan deal.

Idle speculation anyway.

Can Tevez not run out his contract with them like he could with any club and leave for free. Or is he their slave? Surely it's not in his best interests to stay with a leasing company and be in and out of clubs all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Keith186 wrote: »
    First of all, Kuyt's a decent player and he's having a great season.

Rafa Benitez may rotate less fair enough, but the key players he has left out of key games has cost us points in the past. He has still managed to win a good % of games but I have to say we got very lucky in quite a few of them.
    I don't mind rotating squad players but leaving out the best players sometimes hasn't worked cos the rest of the squad isn't up to scratch against a good few teams.

There was no point in rotating players as much as he did in the past few years as essentially this is what lost us the league very early on.

I've felt really pissed off with him leaving great players on the bench and then bringing them on for the last 20 minutes to chase a game. Why doesn't he start them and get the job done and then rest them? It's bewildering sometimes.

His team selection has been a bit better this season than previous couple and it shows by the amount of points we have.

Rafa has never had a squad capable of winning the league before.
    Simple.
    Rafa knew this, the squad knew this, the media knew this, only the fans believed.
    Rafa has always had a strong spine in his team.
    The keeper/center backs/central midfield players/Never were rotated.
    It's only now that we have players that can cover each other that e see this.
    Rafa can't be blamed for having to "rotate" and only having average players to work with.

With the squads we've had in previous seasons, If Rafa rotated, we wouldn't win the league.
    If Rafa didn't rotate, we wouldn't win the league.

Now that he has almost the squad level he wants, he gets to impliment the rotation policy he's always wanted, and it has us 2nd on point difference (after beating UTD and Chelsea), and top of our CL group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,789 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

and it has us 2nd on point difference (after beating UTD and Chelsea), and top of our CL group.

Yer 2nd in both leagues. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Boggles wrote: »
    Yer 2nd in both leagues. ;)

FOB :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Who from the reserves will get a run out tomorrow night??? Is Jack Hobbs still around?? Carragher & Gerrard will hopefully have the feet up tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa speaking this morning has said Gerrard will not play any part of the game.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Hobbs still out on loan at Scunthorpe iirc. Talk of Torres being in the squad.

I'd hope to see a much younger side than we'll see tomorrow. I'd be inclined to give the likes of Pacheco, San Jose and Duran run outs. But i think we'll see something like:

Cavalieri

Degen
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Insua

Pennant
    Plessis
    Lucas
    El Zhar

N'Gog
    Babel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

mike65 wrote: »
    Rafa speaking this morning has said Gerrard will not play any part of the game.

Mike

good, no point risking him in this comp. Would like to see torres given 20 mins though just to sharpen him up for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

is Degan not still injured?

I'd say Cavalieri will be playing in goals

Insua for left back.

Darby will probably get in right back

Hyypia and Agger at centre half with Hyypia playing against Bolton at the weekend

Lucas and Plessis will be centre of midfield

Pennant will get a run wide right

Babel will be out left i'd say with torres starting up front and el zhar in behind him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd hope to see a much younger side than we'll see tomorrow. I'd be inclined to give the likes of Pacheco, San Jose and Duran run outs. But i think we'll see something like:

Cavalieri

Degen
    Hyypia
    Agger
    Insua

Pennant
    Plessis
    Lucas
    El Zhar

N'Gog
    Babel

I'd go with that, but I think we'll see a little more experience in the middle, possibly Masch for Plessis, and maybe one other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Might as well stick in Arbeloa, wont he be suspended for our next league game? or will it be the one after?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Might as well stick in Arbeloa, wont he be suspended for our next league game? or will it be the one after?

There's a bit of confusion as to whether he's suspended tomorrow night or suspended for the Bolton game this saturday.

My ideal team tomorrow night would be:

Cavalieri

Degen
    Insua
    Hyypia
    Agger

El Zhar
    Babel
    Spearing
    Lucas

Torres
    N'Gog

Not too far fetched except for Spearing who played for the reserves on Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Would like to see this Degen chap start tonight, if he's available.
    Need some competition for that right back slot.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I presume after the debacle of the last one that we will not be having a Spurs Vs Liverpool match thread....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

spockety wrote: »
    I presume after the debacle of the last one that we will not be having a Spurs Vs Liverpool match thread....!

Not unless you want it described to you in great detail as to why Liverpool won't win the Carling Cup this year and that we're so delusional to think otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

monkey9 wrote: »
    Not unless you want it described to you in great detail as to why Liverpool won't win the Carling Cup this year and that we're so delusional to think otherwise

well, if the result was the same, comments like that would be completely accurate.

Is the game on Sly Sports tonight?

Hopefully there'll be a stream knocking around.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Is the game on Sly Sports tonight?

Hopefully there'll be a stream knocking around.

Yeah, it's live on Sky!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's live on Sky!

Hmm, I'm sure I'll catch it somewhere then, either pub or stream.

Grauniad strikes again

Fernando Torres has said he has no intention of leaving Liverpool for Chelsea or any other European club as the Spain international prepares to return to Rafael Benítez's starting line-up at Tottenham Hotspur tonight.

The [£26.5m record signing is scheduled to make his first start since October 5 in the Carling Cup fourth-round tie, and announced his recovery from a hamstring tear yesterday by reaffirming his commitment to Anfield. Torres was a supposed target for Luiz Felipe Scolari when the Brazilian first arrived at Stamford Bridge, although no contact was ever made with Liverpool over the player who has become one of the most coveted in the game.

However, the 24-year-old, who signed a six-year contract when he joined Liverpool from Atlético Madrid last year, said: "I have no plans to go anywhere, not back to Spain, not to Italy, not to another English club. I read a lot of things [about Chelsea in the summer] but I was at the European Championships and I did not want any distractions. I don't know if they spoke with the club or with my agent. But in any case even if there was something in it nothing was ever going to make me abandon Liverpool."

Torres hailed the Liverpool manager, Benítez, as "the best coach I have ever had without doubt" and admitted the priority at Anfield this season has to be winning the league title. He added: "When I arrived at Liverpool, everyone talked about the league. We have won it 19 times and Manchester United 18. If they win it this season then they draw level and the fans don't want that. I think 90% of Liverpool fans would prefer the league."

Benítez yesterday confirmed his compatriot could start at White Hart Lane but travelled to London without Steven Gerrard and Robbie Keane. Dirk Kuyt, Jamie Carragher and Xabi Alonso are also expected to be rested. "We have a lot of good players in our first-team squad and a lot of young players too, and they all need games, so I have to decide on which ones," the Liverpool manager said.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

So much for proof reading! Maybe we've hit some sort of time warp where in actual fact it's not 2008 but sometime in 2010 or 2011 where Liverpool won the title in 2008-2009 and Man Utd won it in 2009-2010?

Terrifying article from the times here. It's also on BBC, SSN etc.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5134437.ece

It basically says if we can't refinance our loan we'll be forced to raise equity through the sale of players - namely Torres or Babel.
    It will never come to that, though it's scary that we're even contemplating this happening.

As was said on irishkop, it must be a slow news day. The sheiks etc would jump in at the first opportunity.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5134437.ece

It basically says if we can't refinance our loan we'll be forced to raise equity through the sale of players - namely Torres or Babel.
    It will never come to that, though it's scary that we're even contemplating this happening.

To be honest, i remember hearing that kind of thing around the start of the year, if not this time last year. I wouldn't read too much into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

indeed, every single report on this topic has always said the sheiks offer is still on the table, its just lower then what the 2lads want. This new angle just ignores that and instead treats it as tho we're desperately searching for any buyer, fire sale stylee when in fact the opposite is true. But sure i guess scaremongering ftw!

• Advertisement

The sell Torres stuff was published in April. Any bad news for G&H is good news for LFC.

Mike

It's an unlikely scenario, due to the nature of the assets.

But when a bank effectively owns a club, and looks to recover it's money - they do look at assets, but obviously good players have the capability to go further in PL and CL which is a fair chunk of our yearly income.

Still though, if we were selling, Torres, Gerrard, Masch, Alonso, Babel and Reina would easily pull in 100m +

Never happen though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

in the uk at the mo and same story is in nearly all the papers today. Independent was the one I read. Their take on it was that it was more likely a sale would be forced...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/banks-could-force-sale-of-vulnerable-liverpool-1012153.html

A link for tonights game, new site so dunno if its any good.

http://p2ptube.net/?page_id=81

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

mike65 wrote: »
    A link for tonights game, new site so dunno if its any good.

http://p2ptube.net/?page_id=81

Mike

Gracias Sir Mike,

Its working very well too.

C'MON THE POOL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

:D<<<Never thought Id use that smiley with Liverpool being 3-0 down but my God we have been laughably dire and off the pace. I know that with the exception of one or two its a second string side but..wow!

God, Degen and Dossena were laughable tonight

Melion wrote: »
    God, Degen and Dossena were laughable tonight

Aye, they should swap places with Darby and Insua in the reserves. I would be filled with far more confidence seeing them two on the bench/teamsheet than seeing Degen or Dossena for the next while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

SSN are going a bit OTT aren't they, on about a disastrous result for a team who changed 10 players from the starting lineup in their recent prem win.

• Advertisement

Sky are never going to go for anything other than a tabloid reaction, Had Rafa played a more judicious mix then it could have been quite different. I agree about Darby and Insua they look more like the future than Dossena and Degan.

Mike

SSN are going a bit OTT aren't they, on about a disastrous result for a team who changed 10 players from the starting lineup in their recent prem win.

Well Sky Sports News make their money by erring on the side of sensationalism.

The swooshes need to come out at least a few times a day, as well as the big yellow breaking news ticker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

nah that's the usual hate liverpool fc journalist hate machine....we should be used to it by now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think it was more the performance than the result.

I mean on paper a CC loss to Spurs away when you field a weakened team is'nt exactly anything disastrous but the Pool players just looked so devoid of enthusiasm. These are players who should be eager to impress and working there hearts out but they clearly did not want to be there.

I think that was the significant thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Up till now ive thought Dossena might work out .... and the 2 times ive seen Degen I have been filled with as much confidence as seeing Voronin playing. Now they should both be shipped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

GBX wrote: »
    Up till now ive thought Dossena might work out .... and the 2 times ive seen Degen I have been filled with as much confidence as seeing Voronin playing. Now they should both be shipped out.

El Zhar looked decent.

I though Babel was atrocious though and he really has no excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Babybing wrote: »
    El Zhar looked decent.

He's been top quality every time i've seen him, he never dissapoints, his talent is obvious and I really think he will be a big player for us in the future

Babybing wrote: »
    El Zhar looked decent.

I though Babel was atrocious though and he really has no excuse.

i really thought Babel was by far our best player. He beat his man most of the time, but there was never anything on. He was also marked by 3 players a lot of the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it'll be replaced by chelsea now anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dossena must be the worst liverpool defender since Torben Piechnik :(

babel had a very game in the second half i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Dossena must be the worst liverpool defender since Torben Piechnik :(

babel had a very game in the second half i thought

was piechnik not a holding mid?

EDIT: ignore me, just checked wikipedia...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement