Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Disaster!

Rafa the Manager of the Month! :(

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162099081114-1417.htm

The losses at Spurs are suddenly explained. ;)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Degen out for four weeks.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162096081114-1350.htm

I'd love to see Darby get a go tomorrow, but i'd say we'll see Carragher at RB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Degen out for four weeks.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162096081114-1350.htm

I'd love to see Darby get a go tomorrow, but i'd say we'll see Carragher at RB

after the last night i dont want to see Agger and Hyypia in the centre together. I know the goals were generally not their fault but i cant help thinking: if only Carra was in the centre....

but on the flip side the few minutes this season Carra has played RB he has looked excellent.

prendy wrote: »
    after the last night i dont want to see Agger and Hyypia in the centre together. I know the goals were generally not their fault but i cant help thinking: if only Carra was in the centre....

but on the flip side the few minutes this season Carra has played RB he has looked excellent.

He does seem to put in better crosses than any of our other full-backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

He does seem to put in better crosses than any of our other full-backs.

why cant he play a pass when he's centre back? it's like in his mind he says get it as far up the pitch as possible!

• Advertisement

prendy wrote: »
    why cant he play a pass when he's centre back? it's like in his mind he says get it as far up the pitch as possible!

That tendancy usually comes to the fore when we are playing badly. And when that happens nobody wants the ball. That's one of the big failings of our team imo. Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano usually man-mark one of the opposition players leaving Carra no option but to hoof it.
    I think that's why we have this (unfair, i think) reputation for being a long ball team or playing boring football. People only pay attention to us when we're crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

People only pay attention to us when we're crap

Considering the length of this thread, we must be crap fairly often? Damn you Benayoun...bringing the standard of our team down to crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Give Bolton a good bollocking for me will you Mini Espana?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eZe^ wrote: »
    Give Bolton a good bollocking for me will you Mini Espana?

For you, anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

mayordenis wrote: »
    For you, anything.

<3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A heads up.

Anne Williams, done an interview with the Sunday Buisness Post, a few weeks ago when we had her over.The paper is running the interview this sunday, so keep an eye out for it as her story is very moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

The club are apparently trying to trademark the Liverbird.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/11/15/gillett-and-hicks-accused-to-trying-to-steal-liverpool-s-liver-bird-64375-22262735/

While I can understand why they would want/need to this certainly won't go down well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

zing wrote: »
    The club are apparently trying to trademark the Liverbird.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/11/15/gillett-and-hicks-accused-to-trying-to-steal-liverpool-s-liver-bird-64375-22262735/

While I can understand why they would want/need to this certainly won't go down well

LOL....I am just after getting about 60 Irishkop polos done up a couple of weeks ago with the Liverbird and Irishkop.com below it.I am about to put in another order of polos,hoddies and fleeces next week....hope the club don't come looking for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dub13 wrote: »
    LOL....I am just after getting about 60 Irishkop polos done up a couple of weeks ago with the Liverbird and Irishkop.com below it.I am about to put in another order of polos,hoddies and fleeces next week....hope the club don't come looking for me.

It makes sense though, if the LFC style liverbird was a trademark then this wouldn't be allowed. There are hundreds of thousands of 'legal fakes' worldwide because the are instantly recognised as representing the club. I don't think there is any other club with the same issue?

It's why the crest has got more and more complicated to try and differentiate it from the liverbird alone.

For instance Dub13, maybe if it was a trademark you would have gone to the club for polos and then had irishkop.com added afterward and the club would have made some money on it?

It isn't the fanclubs they are after though it is the industry in fake club gear out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Isn't the Liverbird a historic symbol and isn't it impossible to trademark something historical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Could someone explain the Torres situation to me ,
    Why did he start mid week and back on bench today, (did he a pick up a knock )
    surely getting game time into one of your greatest assets would be a must,
    Is Rafa just playing safe ?

See match match Rockman. :)

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Could someone explain the Torres situation to me ,
    Why did he start mid week and back on bench today, (did he a pick up a knock )
    surely getting game time into one of your greatest assets would be a must,
    Is Rafa just playing safe ?

Torres is returning from injury. There is absolutely no point rushing him back when the team is still doing well and Keane has finally got off the mark in the PL.

Also http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7730869.stm
    Rafa Benitez has told star striker Fernando Torres that he has no automatic starting place at Liverpool. (Various)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ryan Babel wrote:
    "I'm satisfied with my level of performance but the situation is clear - that I'm not going to be one of the regular 11 starters," Babel said in The Guardian.

"It's difficult. I do get frustrated. I can tell myself that I'm still only 21 and at the start of my career.

"But it is making it hard for me because, as time goes on, they keep telling me that I'm young and that my time will come. Well, OK, but I'm not a player who wants to wait. I want to be involved now rather than in three or four years' time."

Babel has also stated that he would rather compete with strikers Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres than be deployed in a wide role.

Improve

"I have always said that I want to play as a striker," he added.

"Of course, it would not help me improve if I wasn't able to play, or train, in another position a couple of times. But all the time?

"I used to play as a striker in Holland. I grew up as a striker. That's the position I want to play.

"But I'm working on it. I look at myself before I blame others. I'm going to do something about it. It's not something I'm scared about."

maybe i'm just in bad form, but reading this-first thing that comes into my head is, **** him out the door.

cheeky considering some of the ****e performances he has put in when given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    maybe i'm just in bad form, but reading this-first thing that comes into my head is, **** him out the door.

cheeky considering some of the ****e performances he has put in when given a chance.

I like Babel and would give him the benefit of the doubt, hope we don't have another whinger on our hands though, Rafa will have him out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anyone else think Tony Mowbray looks like he could be Robbie's dad?
    Tony_Mowbray_April_Motm_855682.jpg
    robbie_keane.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's right up there with the Milan Baros/Chris Coleman paternity case, and definitely ahead of Pepe Reina/Rafa Benitez.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

What’s going to happen financially come the end of January? Liverpools dept is absolutely frightening and the Royal bank of Scotland is looking for money.
    http://soccerlens.com/liverpool-fans-ready-to-takeover-from-hicks-and-gillett/14954/

Nothing much. Either G&H will get the money or they won't, if not Sheikh Mo makes an offer.

Mike

Have to admit that I am sort of hoping that this is true. When Rafa cuts his losses, tis normally for the best...
    Andrea Dossena may head for Juventus or Roma as Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez looks to cut his losses on the full-back flop. (News of the World)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7731946.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A 2 line gossip snippet from the News of The World shouldn't really be taken as anything other than pie in the sky. Dossena has looked woeful defensively so far but without alternative options at left-back other than the brittle Aurelio or an out of position Arbeloa or Carragher, Rafa would be daft to get rid of him so quickly.

I think he's a gonna (in January), he said himself it wasn't happening for him. Italians have a poor history in England.

Mike

malice_ wrote: »
    A 2 line gossip snippet from the News of The World shouldn't really be taken as anything other than pie in the sky. Dossena has looked woeful defensively so far but without alternative options at left-back other than the brittle Aurelio or an out of position Arbeloa or Carragher, Rafa would be daft to get rid of him so quickly.

I would assume that if he was to get rid, he would replace him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Athletico interested in Arbeloa according to RTE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

malice_ wrote: »

Step up Insua.

As I said in another thread, seeing his name on the teamsheet would fill me with more confidence than Dossena's right now going into any match. Maybe Dossena can/will come good, but I'm not sure we can afford to bed him in given how well our league campaign is going. If he costs us points it would not be good.

I have to say I like the way Rafa cuts his losses sometimes (Gonzales springs to mind especially) instead of burying his head in the sand. It's not easy for anybody in any walk of life to admit they were wrong, so it has to be admired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think Dossenna is worth keeping, but if he is having trouble settling - offload him and his value still holds good in Italy.

But why would we offload him, and promote Insua. We can keep him and still do that.

zAbbo wrote: »
    I think Dossenna is worth keeping, but if he is having trouble settling - offload him and his value still holds good in Italy.

But why would we offload him, and promote Insua. We can keep him and still do that.

I can think of 7 million reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he's off loaded in January, its unlikely he'll go for 7 million surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

There's a couple of LFC TV programmes on Setanta IRL shortly.

17.30 - 18.30: Kop 10 Derby Wins (vs Everton)
    18.30 - 19.30: Kop 10 Late Goals

Available in IRL only.

Re: Dossena - looked very poor every time I've seen him. He's probably a decent player but it's just not happening for him in Liverpool.

If they can get a decent offer on him from the likes of Juve they should definitely sell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dunno, I would imagine his stock is still pretty high in Italy. He's still getting called up to the national team, and if the reports that both Roma and Juve are looking for a left-back are true, we could re-coup what we've paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks Spockety, I knew as I was writing the post that I had forgotten someone. I always seem to get Sebastian Leto and Insua confused for some reason :o.

I'd like to see Dossena given time to prove himself. If he is still as woeful next April then I'm sure Rafa won't hesitate to move him on.

PHB wrote: »
    If he's off loaded in January, its unlikely he'll go for 7 million surely?

Have no idea.. If he isn't going to work out and Rafa has given him all the oppurtunities to prove himself as he is going to, then he needs to be sold one way or another. If bids of 1 or 2 million are only forthcoming then it would make sense to keep him but if we can get 75% of what we paid for him, then he will probably be gone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Have no idea.. If he isn't going to work out and Rafa has given him all the oppurtunities to prove himself as he is going to, then he needs to be sold one way or another. If bids of 1 or 2 million are only forthcoming then it would make sense to keep him but if we can get 75% of what we paid for him, then he will probably be gone..

Are we being linked with left backs to replace him? Its great to have Insua there as a third choice left back, but he have to remember that he's only featured in a handful of matches at senior level, and these were against lesser sides IIRC. Coming up against stronger teams we may see more of his weaknesses exposed, and some of the sheen may come off his reputation. I wouldn't be prepared to risk the league on having Insua as one of our primary left backs (primary because with Aurelio's tendency in the past to get injured frequently he would be primary left back at times).

I don't see Rafa selling Dossena unless he has another LB lined up to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

we've been linked with Wayne Bridge and Gareth Bale before but would either club sell and are they better than what we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sweetie wrote: »
    we've been linked with Wayne Bridge and Gareth Bale before but would either club sell and are they better than what we have?

bridge is a player i like, always thought he was a better player than ashley cole, not as pacey, but reads the game alot better. very consistant.

would be a massive step up on dossena. no chance of chelsea selling though.

i do like aurelio, remember him well from valencia and thought it was a real coup when we got him on a free that year, if he can stay fit i'd be happy for him to continue as first choice with insua playing the back up role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

On the whole Dossena/Aurelio/Insua thing I'd be in favour of keeping Dossena past January.

Also was Insua not named in a squad for a competive game around the start of the season ? ( I think a European game ) Not 100% but I seem to remember thinking he could have come on for five minutes at the end.

Kinda disappointing that Darby didnt get a run - definately not a fan of Carra at RB.

id love if we could swap Dossena to Roma for Cicinho, moveing Insua up to backup for Aurelio so we'd have:
    LB: Aurelio, Insua
    RB: Arbeloa, Cicinho

Doubt Roma would let him go though, but imo that would leave us strong enough on both flanks. I really like aurelio, just fingers crossed he can keep fit consistantly this year. Insua may or may not be as good as he's appeared to be, but theres only one way to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Regardless of anyones opinions of our full backs, the situation remains the same as it was last season. Full back (both flanks) are our weakest position, followed by right wing. If Dossena/Degen dont work out, Im sure Rafa will address it in the summer.

Tusky wrote: »
    Regardless of anyones opinions of our full backs, the situation remains the same as it was last season. Full back (both flanks) are our weakest position, followed by right wing. If Dossena/Degen dont work out, Im sure Rafa will address it in the summer.

I dont think we're as weak as we thought at right wing tbh. Backup yes, i would prefer better then Yossi or Pennant, but Babel can do a job there if needed (though he rarely starts there he does often switch over during the game). As for first choice, I think if Kuyt were at another club we'd be creaming ourselves over him. Fantastic form this year, does well out wide, crosses well, tracks back and has fantastic positional sense to get in goalscoring situations. The only think he lacks is pace, his trickery has even improved with his confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Tusky wrote: »

Assuming he has money available in the summer. Let's just hope G&H aren't still about then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    id love if we could swap Dossena to Roma for Cicinho

Maybe if Rick Parry took up a new position with Roma:pac: but yeah it would be a great deal (probably swop + cash though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭mormank

On the whole Dossena/Aurelio/Insua thing I'd be in favour of keeping Dossena past January.

Also was Insua not named in a squad for a competive game around the start of the season ? ( I think a European game ) Not 100% but I seem to remember thinking he could have come on for five minutes at the end.

Kinda disappointing that Darby didnt get a run - definately not a fan of Carra at RB.

he is a great right back!! did you not see him making bits of the bolton left back at times?? the only problem is that we miss him as a CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7729516.stm
    Injured midfielder Steven Gerrard was asked to report to England manager Fabio Capello, despite being unfit for Wednesday's friendly against Germany.

Gerrard could be out for 10 days after he tore a leg muscle in Liverpool's 2-0 win at Bolton on Saturday but Capello is seeking his own diagnosis.
    Pretty ballsy by Capello/the FA. While we all know that clubs make the most of niggles in order to withdraw players from friendlies, it's a dangerous step for them to enforce their own checks. What happpens if the club's physios say he's not fit but England's say he is? We'll have ridiculous situations where the players have to publicly decide. And we all know footballers aren't the brightest bunch.

And if the player comes back injured, what then?

The FA are leaving themselves wide open to huge compensation claims if they push ahead with this.

mormank wrote: »
    he is a great right back!! did you not see him making bits of the bolton left back at times?? the only problem is that we miss him as a CB

Probably should have been clearer when I said I wasnt a fan of Carra at RB.
    Basically I meant that I would far far prefer him at CB than RB. I think it is a misuse of resources to play him at RB rather than CB. I would argue that the defence was off-form Saturday due to the rejigging and I never felt confident that we would get a clean sheet until the final whistle went - even in the first half when Bolton had very little of the ball we didnt look our usual secure selves at the back.

In the first half Bolton were only playing with one up front and Nolan kept going down the right/centre-right so Carra wasnt placed under any pressure defensively. Carra got forward into advanced positions a number of times and put in a couple of decent balls but nothing you could really describe as great. On a couple of other occasions he was in decent positions but ended up passing the ball backwards when a more attacking player would have put the ball into the box. When Gardner came on in the second half, he caused Carra problems with his pace and arguably two of Bolton's best chances resulted from this. I'm not saying Carra had a bad game, I just would have far preferred to have seen Carra at CB with Hyypia on the bench and either Darby getting his chance or even Aurelio switching over.

PiE wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7729516.stm

Pretty ballsy by Capello/the FA. While we all know that clubs make the most of niggles in order to withdraw players from friendlies, it's a dangerous step for them to enforce their own checks. What happpens if the club's physios say he's not fit but England's say he is? We'll have ridiculous situations where the players have to publicly decide. And we all know footballers aren't the brightest bunch.

And if the player comes back injured, what then?

The FA are leaving themselves wide open to huge compensation claims if they push ahead with this.

Could it be a case of Capello wanting Gerrard around the squad i.e no danger of him playing but just wanting him around for leadership, squad bonding etc.
    Of course it could also be Capello putting down a marker with the big clubs?Would be very surprising to see Gerrard playing any part in the game. It was a bit suspect that the Gerrard injury wasnt reported until mid-day Sunday. Normally you would hear of an injury like this much earlier especially given the early kick-off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement