Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Boggles wrote: »
    Good Signing! He is a fan aswell I think?

Where did Liverpool get 20 million?

Wow.

You don't even think that Liverpool had a transfer budget of around £7-8,000,000!

That's fairly delusional Boggie.

zing wrote: »

Oh no, how dare Rafa imply that he's still interested in Barry!
    I'm waiting for MON to start screaming about Rafa working through the media again!!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Boggles wrote: »
    Good Signing! He is a fan aswell I think?

Where did Liverpool get 20 million?

Yeah , big pool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

another captain signed by Rafa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

has any manager other than rafa been more interested in having captains of clubs/national teams in his squad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I like Robbie but is he worth £18/20 miliion? Im not convinced.

£12m at most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

£12m at most

Probably, but then again I remember some (in particular) Manu fans saying that Torres would get 10-15 goals at most last year, after we signed him. The smell of egg on face was terrible.

12M, 18M, 20M, who cares, as long as he delivers?

The premium comes when you are a cut above the rest in the Prem and have a recent CL win to your name. Just look at the way the prices are hiked for Chelsea and Manu.

£12m at most

no offence mate, but if you were to adopt that approach you'd have us in mid table in no time.

Robbie Keane is DEFINATELY worth 18m in todays market, in fact with rumours of 30-35m for Berbatov, Robbie for 18 is a steal.

top clubs have to pay top prices for top players.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no offence mate, but if you were to adopt that approach you'd have us in mid table in no time.

Robbie Keane is DEFINATELY worth 18m in todays market, in fact with rumours of 30-35m for Berbatov, Robbie for 18 is a steal.

top clubs have to pay top prices for top players.

The approach of paying over the odds for players is not an approach I would take.

WE got lucky with Torres but we have had a fnuckload of rubbish forwards before him
    Cisses-Hadj Diouf- etc etc

What makes Keane a 20 miliion £ player? I just cant see it.

Im not a rose tinted liverpool/Ireland fan, I remember many times watching Keane play rubbish for club and country and this is what makes me question his worth.
    He is 28 now so if he was going to be considered anything other than just a good player he would have shone before now.

In saying that I hope your right and Im wrong

• Advertisement

does Keanes scoring and assists ratio in the PL over the last 4-5 years not make him a 20m player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He's bleedin' class for Spurs.

Shíte for Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

im happy that the keane thing is nearly over,a very good signing

but we still have no wingers and with crouch gone i think our plan B options are very limited?

i mean all our front 4-5(torres keane kuyt stevie babel) are capable of scoring but against stubborn opposition what do we do after 70-80 mins if its scoreless to change things?

are yossi and pennant good enough to impact games that need something different?

what do ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The approach of paying over the odds for players is not an approach I would take.

WE got lucky with Torres but we have had a fnuckload of rubbish forwards before him
    Cisses-Hadj Diouf- etc etc

What makes Keane a 20 miliion £ player? I just cant see it.

Im not a rose tinted liverpool/Ireland fan, I remember many times watching Keane play rubbish for club and country and this is what makes me question his worth.
    He is 28 now so if he was going to be considered anything other than just a good player he would have shone before now.

In saying that I hope your right and Im wrong

Paying over the odds for players, is the reality when you are a top 4 team. It's nor right, it's just the way things are. Utd have just agreed a 32M STG deal for Tevez (or at least that's the most reported figure). He's a fine player, but 32M? I don't think so.

Comparing Keane playing for Ireland V Keane playing for Spurs or Liverpool is silly tbh. They are 2(3) totally different teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Hobart wrote: »
    12M, 18M, 20M, who cares, as long as he delivers

+1

I can understand why some people won't get excited by this signing but his record the the PL over the last few years speaks for itself. If he can continue the form he's had for spurs he'll be worth every penny of 20m.

Keane is worth £18,000,000 every day of the week!
    I wouldn't have been put out if we had, had to pay £25,000,000 for him TBH!
    When Tezez with 15 goals last season costs £32,000,000 million, then anyone that thinks that Keane with 23 isn't worth £18,000,000 needs to get their head examined!;)

Hobart wrote: »
    Comparing Keane playing for Ireland V Keane playing for Spurs or Liverpool is silly tbh. They are 2(3) totally different teams.

He is not a world beater

Stats dont show everything and he does not always shine for Spurs!

he is a 10 -15 goal a season League player (full season. regular starter)

I really do hope he is as good as some of you guys think he is but I dont see how being a bit cynical is silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

if he gets 15 goals a season for us we'll all be happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's not just his goals. I doubt Rafa is buying him as an out and out goalscorer. Hopefully, Torres will get into the twenties again this season. Keane can create a lot of chances, open up defences and also play in a number positions in various formations. I think he brings a lot to this squad, and as Karma said, i'd have no problem with Liverpool paying over the twenty million mark so eighteen mil is a great price i think, for us as well as Spurs who are making a great profit on him after years of brilliant service.

You guys might be right in your assumtion that he will be great for the team but only time will tell.
    Lets hope that he can help us beat one or all of the big teams......... because that is what will make us into real title challengers.
    Nothing else

• Advertisement

He is not a world beater

Stats dont show everything and he does not always shine for Spurs!

he is a 10 -15 goal a season League player (full season. regular starter)

I really do hope he is as good as some of you guys think he is but I dont see how being a bit cynical is silly?

Really?!

You should probably tell Spurs fans then, cause he's been voted their player of the season twice in the last three years.

You should also tell their staff, cause Martin Jol said that he's one of the best players he's ever worked with!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Des wrote: »
    Shíte for Ireland though.

33 goals in 81 games for Ireland

Jesus lads - its not Lional Messi or Kaka we are signing here. My doubts about his true value seem to have exposed some strange notions.
    Keane is not world class and never will be. Thats not to say he is useless but he is only a good premier league player.
    Nobody here can assure me that his purchase will be the last piece of the Jigsaw to help us win the Premiership which is what we all want in our hearts.

Only time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

33 goals in 81 games for Ireland

Most of them have come in spurts against crap teams. Still thats a seperate topic.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He's another piece of the puzzle if you ask me. 18m is a fair enough price I think. He's proven in the premiership, scores plenty of goals, allowed berbatov to score plenty of goals, he's a boyhood liverpool fan and a workhorse.
    I didn't particularly like him that much but most of my viewing of him was in a green shirt and very few players looked good in that green shirt.
    Welcome to the team Robbie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote: »
    Most of them have come in spurts against crap teams. Still thats a seperate topic.

Mike.

coz we all know goals against crap teams dont count ;)

If players of the standard of Carrick, Hargreaves, Jo, and Barry are worth 17-18m, Keane is definitely worth it. in fact in todays market i would see that as some what of a bargain - Crouch plus 6m cant go wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

A little something of what to expect..

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8fob012r4AM

They were quick getting this together.

Jesus lads - its not Lional Messi or Kaka we are signing here. My doubts about his true value seem to have exposed some strange notions.
    Keane is not world class and never will be. Thats not to say he is useless but he is only a good premier league player.
    Nobody here can assure me that his purchase will be the last piece of the Jigsaw to help us win the Premiership which is what we all want in our hearts.

Only time will tell

No, we're not talking about Messi or Kaka, but then we're not talking about £50,000,000 either now are we.

Bent cost £18,000,000.
    You saying that Keane isn't as good as Bent?

How about Amauri?
    Who?
    He's the 28 year old Brazillian striker that Juventus just paid £18,000,000 for.
    Zarate cost £20,000,000
    Jo cost £19,000,000.

You get the idea?

Keane for £18,000,000 is a steal.
    To say that he's worth £12,000,000 cause he's not Messi or Kaka is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

A little something of what to expect..

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=8fob012r4AM

They were quick getting this together.

I like the way they focus on the goals against liverpool just a little longer than the rest.

The goal against chelsea for 4-4 was sweet.

Here, what are the odds - first goal for liverpool, he does that cartwheel celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

When Tezez with 15 goals last season costs £32,000,000 million,

Jaysus, 32 million million... What a rip off...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I dont care if he does the cartwheel celebration, as long as he's knockin them in. He's a great guy is a fantastic signing, very surprised at the price tag though but thats the prem for you.

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

1999-09-01 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Yugoslavia 2-1 UEFA Euro 2000 qualifying 1 (3)
    1999-11-13 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Turkey 1-1 UEFA Euro 2000 qualifying 1 (5)
    2001-11-10 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Czech Republic 2-0 Friendly match 1 (6)
    2000-09-02 Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam Netherlands 2-2 2002 FIFA World Cup qualification 1 (7)
    2001-11-10 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Iran 2-0 2002 FIFA World Cup qualification 1 (8)
    2002-02-13 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Russia 2-0 Friendly match 1 (9)
    2002-06-05 Kashima Stadium, Kashima, Ibaraki Germany 1-1 2002 FIFA World Cup 1 (11)
    2002-06-11 International Stadium of Yokohama, Yokohama Saudi Arabia 3-0 2002 FIFA World Cup 1 (12)
    2002-06-16 Suwon Big Bird Stadium, Suwon Spain 1-1 2002 FIFA World Cup 1 (13)
    2004-03-31 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Czech Republic 2-1 Friendly match 1 (19)
    2004-06-05 Amsterdam ArenA, Amsterdam Netherlands 1-0 Friendly match 1 (20)
    2004-11-16 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Croatia 1-0 Friendly match 1 (24)
    2006-03-01 Landsdowne Road, Dublin Sweden 3-0 Friendly match 1 (26)
    2008-05-29 Craven Cottage, London Colombia 1-0 Friendly match 1 (33)

You know, for a player who doesn't score against top class opposition, or in big games.
    He's got a horrible habit of scoring against top class opposition, and in important games!

Holland, Spain, Germany, Croatia, Yugoslavia, Czech Republic, Sweden, Scoring the goal that got us to the World Cup.
    Scoring in all bar one of our games in the world cup!

Yeah, he's a joke for Ireland!:rolleyes:

No, we're not talking about Messi or Kaka, but then we're not talking about £50,000,000 either now are we.

Bent cost £18,000,000.
    You saying that Keane isn't as good as Bent?

How about Amauri?
    Who?
    He's the 28 year old Brazillian striker that Juventus just paid £18,000,000 for.
    Zarate cost £20,000,000
    Jo cost £19,000,000.

You get the idea?

Keane for £18,000,000 is a steal.
    To say that he's worth £12,000,000 cause he's not Messi or Kaka is a bit ridiculous to be honest.
    You made my point

We do not want a Bent. And to suggest that 18million for an average Premiershiip player is rediculous.

Spurs are rubbing thier hands with glee "these fnuking idiots want to give us 20m for keane" Even the spurs fans on this site are happy to let him go for that!!!!!!
    If he was as much of a talent as you think they would not be selling him.

You should take those green tinted glasses of and get real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why have you posted five friendly matches as evidence of goalscoring in important games?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Jaysus, 32 million million... What a rip off...:D

:o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hey, let's hope Benitez doesn't plonk Kenae on the wing, seems to have a penchant for doing that with all his strikers bar King Fernando! :p

You made my point

We do not want a Bent. And to suggest that 18million for an average Premiershiip player is rediculous.

Spurs are rubbing thier hands with glee "these fnuking idiots want to give us 20m for keane" Even the spurs fans on this site are happy to let him go for that!!!!!!

It doesn't matter what the cost is if it works. Utd paid 18m for carrick and won the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Why have you posted five friendly matches as evidence of goalscoring in important games?
    Well we aren't qualifying for anything so I guess they're kind of important.

It doesn't matter what the cost is if it works. Utd paid 18m for carrick and won the premier league.
    True. but they were a lot closer to it before the purchase than we are now....

Well
    You know, for a player who doesn't score against top class opposition, or in big games.

Cause as I said, top class opotition, or in big games.

The Dutch, and Czechs were some of the best in the world at the time.
    The Russians, weren't world beaters, but still good.
    The Sweeds were great (Larson and Zlatan!)
    The point still stands though.
    Keane scores consistantly, against whomever he plays, at whichever level he plays.

Or is 3 goals in 4 games in the World Cup not enough?!

• Advertisement

True. but they were a lot closer to it before the purchase than we are now....

Perhaps. One more piece of the puzzle is needed. Hopefully we'll get it this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You made my point

There's no green tinted glasses here. Him being Irish has nothing to do with it, in fact i could turn that around and say if he was Spanish and doing for Valencia in La Liga what he's being doing for Spurs these past few seasons, people would be talking about a bargain of 18m.

You made my point

You said Keane isn't worth £18,000,000.
    A number of people here said he is.
    You're reasoning for him to not be worth £18,000,000 is that he's not Messi or Kaka!
    Well if you can get us either of those players for £18,000,000 I'll back you as the God of the universe!
    In fact, if you can get either of them for twice that, I'll back you!
    You can't say that Keane isn't worth £18,000,000 cause he's not as good as a player who's worth £50,000,000!
    That make any sense to you at all?!!

I listed 4 players who were recently (or a year ago in Bents case) bought for £18,000,000 or more.
    Keane is better than all of them!
    How can you not understand the simple logic in that?!
    It doesn't matter if you think he's not worth £18,000,000.
    The football world in general think he is!
    Prices go up from one season to another!!!!!:rolleyes:

that was a pretty super post karma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Does anyone know what Pool's transfer kitty is? I know they sold Crouch, but wasn't the move for Barry dependent on them offloading Alonso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

if andy johnson is worth 12 then keane is worth 24 mill. Delighted with this signing and great to have another Irishman at the club. He deserves a crack at the big time and champions league (no disrespect to Spurs, I like the way they play the game) :D

You said Keane isn't worth £18,000,000.
    A number of people here said he is.:

Thats fine I agree, I think he is worth max 12m and some of the other think he is worth 18.
    OK fair point
    You're reasoning for him to not be worth £18,000,000 is that he's not Messi or Kaka!
    Well if you can get us either of those players for £18,000,000 I'll back you as the God of the universe!:

You should never put words into people mouths-or make up things to post to make a point

My point about KAKA and Messi is that they are the type of players that its worth getting excited over not Robbie Keane but whatever floats your boat
    In fact, if you can get either of them for twice that, I'll back you!
    You can't say that Keane isn't worth £18,000,000 cause he's not as good as a player who's worth £50,000,000!
    That make any sense to you at all?!!:

What type of nonsense is this? Is that the best you can do, make things up to validate your post?
    I listed 4 players who were recently (or a year ago in Bents case) bought for £18,000,000 or more.
    Keane is better than all of them!:

And bent is pure tripe, Spurs made a very bad decision and now maybe its time for the Ying of that yang
    Spending too much on Bent and getting to much for Keane (see your name --- Karma)

How can you not understand the simple logic in that?!
    It doesn't matter if you think he's not worth £18,000,000.
    The football world in general think he is!
    Prices go up from one season to another!!!!!:rolleyes:

With an imagination like yours I can understand why you think Keane for 20m is a bargain but we all dont live in the clouds!

Cop on

can i just say i think Bent is an excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

keane is worth 18m.He scores goals,he is experienced and he is a premiership player,all 3 factors make him an 18-20m player.
    Being based in england makes you more expensive.
    Johnson and Saha are talked about as 10-14m players so keane is worth it,

If someone told you we were getting spain/italy's captain and record goalscorer who scored 15-20 league goals a season im sure you would be pretty fcuking excited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Keane's monetary value is not really worth debating at all. In fact, very few transfers have a value that is worth debating at the time they are signed.

The world will know within 2 seasons if Liverpool got value for money when buying Robbie Keane.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement