Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats fine I agree, I think he is worth max 12m and some of the other think he is worth 18.
    OK fair point

You should never put words into people mouths-or make up things to post to make a point

My point about KAKA and Messi is that they are the type of players that its worth getting excited over not Robbie Keane but whatever floats your boat

What type of nonsense is this? Is that the best you can do, make things up to validate your post?

And bent is pure tripe, Spurs made a very bad decision and now maybe its time for the Ying of that yang
    Spending too much on Bent and getting to much for Keane (see your name --- Karma)

With an imagination like yours I can understand why you think Keane for 20m is a bargain but we all dont live in the clouds!

Cop on

The bottom line is that Keane will bring something to Liverpool. He doesn't even need to improve, if he just does what he's done over the past 5 years (thats getting lots of goals and having a consistent 1 goal for every 2 starts), then thats worth 18mil+. He's not David Villa, but he's a hard worker and a goalscorer. 12million, we'd be lucky to get Kenwyn Jones for that tbh. Keane will immediately improve the first team, thats something worth getting a bit excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roberto Keanznho yep he's worth 18 million.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if he had a pony tail I'd pay 25m for him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ok meditraitor, say for arguements sake the final decision rests with yourself. You can have Keane for Liverpool, but it'll cost the club eighteen million. Do you take him, yes or no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The bottom line is that Keane will bring something to Liverpool. He doesn't even need to improve, if he just does what he's done over the past 5 years (thats getting lots of goals and having a consistent 1 goal for every 2 starts), then thats worth 18mil+. He's not David Villa, but he's a hard worker and a goalscorer. 12million, we'd be lucky to get Kenwyn Jones for that tbh. Keane will immediately improve the first team, thats something worth getting a bit excited about.

I hope your right. But I still think 20m for him is over the odds. Anyway only time will tell if we have another Cisse or another Torres(20.2m). In between is my guess which is not a whole lot better than Crouch.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ok meditraitor, say for arguements sake the final decision rests with yourself. You can have Keane for Liverpool, but it'll cost the club eighteen million. Do you take him, yes or no??

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    if he had a pony tail I'd pay 25m for him tbh

What if he had a mullet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ok mediator, for 18m who would you buy instead?

No

Fair enough. But i reckon by the end of the season you'll be glad we bought him and if it cost 18m, then so be it

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    What if he had a mullet?

! 40mill for a mullet man! He'd instantly become my favourite player of all time.

I remember when Robbie Keane signed for Inter Milan, one Italian newspaper claimed he used to be a shepherd on the Dublin mountains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anything past £20m quid is enough for a 28 year old. If he does the business for 2/3 seasons I won't complain. I believe Rafa has brought Robbie in not only to improve himself with CL experience but also to improve Torres. Robbie can bring others into play, like numerous times he set up Berbatov at Spurs. Good buy for, at the moment we have the strongest attacking 4 in the league, as for the money, I'll get over it. Too early to judge on how much he's costing now, ask me in May whether or not £18m was too much.

Fair enough. But i reckon by the end of the season you'll be glad we bought him and if it cost 18m, then so be it

Fingers crossed

I still dont think he brings enough to the table.

It wont stop me singing Keano at Irish Games though ;-)

Anything past £20m quid is enough for a 28 year old. If he does the business for 2/3 seasons I won't complain. I believe Rafa has brought Robbie in not only to improve himself with CL experience but also to improve Torres. Robbie can bring others into play, like numerous times he set up Berbatov at Spurs. Good buy for us, at the moment we have the strongest attacking 4 in the league, as for the money, I'll get over it. Too early to judge on how much he's costing now, ask me in May whether or not £18m was too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Thats fine I agree, I think he is worth max 12m and some of the other think he is worth 18.
    OK fair point

You should never put words into people mouths-or make up things to post to make a point

My point about KAKA and Messi is that they are the type of players that its worth getting excited over not Robbie Keane but whatever floats your boat

What type of nonsense is this? Is that the best you can do, make things up to validate your post?

And bent is pure tripe, Spurs made a very bad decision and now maybe its time for the Ying of that yang
    Spending too much on Bent and getting to much for Keane (see your name --- Karma)

With an imagination like yours I can understand why you think Keane for 20m is a bargain but we all dont live in the clouds!

Cop on

Strikers cost money!!!

Torres = £40-50,000,000
    Tevez = £32,000,000
    Zarate = £20,000,000
    Jo = £19,000,000
    Amuri = £18,000,000
    Johnson = £12,000,000
    Crouch £11,000,000

This is a list of players bought during the summer, and Torres who had offers.
    That is their current value.
    No arguments.
    I don't care about your opinion, anyone elses opinion, or my opinion!
    That's their value.

You think that Keane is worth as much as Andy Johnson.
    You think that Amurai, a player that I'd bet nobody here knows a thing about is worth £18,000,000 but Keane isn't.
    To be honest M, I don't care what you think he's worth.
    But as was pointed out, tell us who you'd buy for £18,000,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I think Meditrator is getting some slightly harsh treatment over this.

I can see where his view is coming from. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad we are getting Keane but my opinion comes with reservations. If the Robbie Keane we know from Spurs turns up at Anfield, then the 18m is a fair price and I'll be very happy. However if the Irish version of Robbie Keane turns up, well then 18m is over the top in my opinion.

So as Spockety said above, talk of whether it is good value or not is a little pointless cos we wont know for a year or 2 if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I believe Rafa has brought Robbie in not only to improve himself with CL experience but also to improve Torres.

Hang on, am I understanding you right here? You think Rafa is buying Robbie so he can improve Robbie?

yom 1 wrote: »
    I think Meditrator is getting some slightly harsh treatment over this.

I can see where his view is coming from. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad we are getting Keane but my opinion comes with reservations. If the Robbie Keane we know from Spurs turns up at Anfield, then the 18m is a fair price and I'll be very happy. However if the Irish version of Robbie Keane turns up, well then 18m is over the top in my opinion.

So as Spockety said above, talk of whether it is good value or not is a little pointless cos we wont know for a year or 2 if it is

Stop looking at Keane with anti green tinted glasses.
    He's 28, and the most succesfull striker we've ever had.
    Well on the way to the mythical 50 international goals mark.

Des wrote: »
    Hang on, am I understanding you right here? You think Rafa is buying Robbie so he can improve Robbie?

Rafa's a humanitarian!

And improve the team itself. A whole lot of improving for everyone.

How could you think I meant he bought Rafa for that sole purpose?

• Advertisement

To be honest M, I don't care what you think he's worth.
    But as was pointed out, tell us who you'd buy for £18,000,000.
    Id stick an extra 3 m on top of that and Buy Ronaldinho.

Thats the type of player that brings something to the table and he went for 21m a week ago?

And Keano will cost 20m in total so for virtually the same price.

Are you going to tell me that Keane is in Ronaldinho's league?

Thats the type of player that brings something to the table and he went for 21m a week ago?

No he's not. Ronaldinho is in Serie A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Stop looking at Keane with anti green tinted glasses.
    He's 28, and the most succesfull striker we've ever had.
    Well on the way to the mythical 50 international goals mark.

And likewise stop looking at him with rose tinted red & green glasses on!

I'm not anti-Irish in the slightest so dont assume I am.

He may be Irelands most successful striker but since he took the armband he hasnt been anywhere near prolific enough in a green jersey. Whether it is because he has started to try and do more to prove himself as captain by dropping deeper or its because of poorer players around him is for another debate. The point still stands that he hasnt been near his best for Ireland in the last year or two and definately nowhere near his level at Spurs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Do you reckon that Ronaldinho is earning only 80k a week?

No he's not. Ronaldinho is in Serie A

I really am beginning to think that I have no idea about football. How could I be the only one to think Keano is not worth 20m.

I must be wrong.

Sorry Karma/Mr alan and your posse for thinking otherwise

Firstly, Keane will cost us £20,000,000 if we win the league and Champions League with him!
    Yes, please!!!

Secondly, Ronhaldinhio went for around £20,000,000 with wages of around £180,000.
    Keane will cost £80,000.
    Allow me to help you there.

£100,000, is £5,200,000 extra a year.
    Keane is on a 5 year deal, so that's £26,000,000.

Ronnie = £68,800,000 over 5 years
    Robbie = £38,800,000 over 5 years.

Notice any differences there?!;)

Wanna try again?

P.S: Maths is far from my strong point!:p

I don't think it's that black & white. Ronaldinho may be a better player then Keane, but maybe Keane will be a better player for Liverpool than Ronaldinho. Keane is more of a Rafa player. Creative, can score goals, has a good work ethic. What would Ronaldinho's attitude be like? How much wages would he want. Would he be out clubbing? Who knows
    I just think you know what you're getting with Keane, he's a proven quality premier league player who i think can step it up to face the challenges of Europe as well. I honestly don't see £18m for Keane as a gamble at all. I think it's great business by Rafa.

spockety wrote: »
    Do you reckon that Ronaldinho is earning only 80k a week?

Nope.
    http://www.footballfansunited.com/news/N1215941981-495-435.php5
    Google is good for questions like that Spockety
    And after Rossoneri vice-president Adriano Galliani revealed the £20million asking price was not a problem but the forward’s wages are, the Gazzetta dello Sport claims the former Paris St Germain star is willing to lower his salary demands to a ‘mere’ £90,000-per-week over just two years.

This would earn Ronaldinho a total of £10million, plus bonuses, for the duration of his contract. Which means he is likely to earn even less than that other ‘slave’ of modern-day football, Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

So we spend £21 on a player who has just had an injury prone and inconsistent season (while also being a disruptive influence at the club i.e. thinking he's bigger than the club and falling out with half the team), rather than £18 on a player who has been stability/consistency personifiation for the last 5 or six years?:rolleyes:

Keane is a proven premier league player. Ronaldinho isn't.

have to admit i would have loved if we signed Ronaldinho. Dont think it would ever have been possible with wage demands though. A pity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I really am beginning to think that I have no idea about football. How could I be the only one to think Keano is not worth 20m.

I must be wrong.

In fairness the price reported is 18m , not 20m.

Nope.
    http://www.footballfansunited.com/news/N1215941981-495-435.php5
    Google is good for questions like that Spockety

And if Gerrard or Torres were getting £120k a week (sorry, not sure of exact wages), Ronaldinho would be happy to play for £80K?

Robbie Keane (Pic: Chris Neill)

Tottenham striker Robbie Keane is on the verge of completing his dream £18m move to boyhood club Liverpool.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez finalised negotiations with the London club at the weekend, and the 28-year old Irishman arrived at Liverpool’s Melwood training ground this morning to complete his medical.

If, as expected, the transfer goes through then Liverpool will become the sixth club of Keane’s career – after Wolves, Coventry, Inter Milan, Leeds and Spurs – while the amount of money spent on will have broken the £55m mark.

69BC1277-980F-7EEA-07EC896A574B1C09.jpg

Secondly, Ronhaldinhio went for around £20,000,000 with wages of around £180,000.

Wanna try again?

Are you making things up again Karma, its a bad habit you have! Your walter mitty style of posting is only funny for so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I must be wrong.

Meditraitor I 100% agree with you. He is worth £14 million at a push.
    Strange for such a penny pinching manager as Benitez (as evidenced with the Crouch and Barry transfer) to pay an overinflated price for an average player.

Inter's sports director Marco Branca, to Correio da Manhã has admitted a strong interest of Inter for the striker and negotiation is still ending. "...All know that Inter are interested in Quaresma, but he is still a Porto player. However I think that could be, soon, a reinforcement for our team. Today will be an important day".

"Also Mourinho has admitted that we appreciate the player, i think that within the end of this week, all could be solved".

"I don't want to speak about money, we will see...". Source near to the Portuguese newspaper, describe Quaresma as impatient to start this new adventure.

Hopefully that'll end that talk.

rosboy wrote: »
    And if Gerrard or Torres were getting £120k a week (sorry, not sure of exact wages), Ronaldinho would be happy to play for £80K?

6.5m per year was the figure I heard
    Milan's scout Ernesto Bronzetti to Sky TG 24, has declared that Ronaldinho has renounced a great engagement from England for wear Rossonera jersey:" He has said no to great offers of Manchester City. Shinawatra property offered 12 million euros every year, while Milan assure to him a little more then the half (6,5)".

Do the Maths yourself, its not far of Torres and Gerrard and he is in their league;)

But look lads, he will be signed and there is nothing anyone here can do to influence either way so lets see(hope) how it works out.
    Lets hope we win the Premiership next year...............
    Oh and just because I think he is overpriced It doesnt mean I dont wish him the best.

I still think it great to have a local lad playing for my Idols ;)

69BC1277-980F-7EEA-07EC896A574B1C09.jpg

Is that ryan giggs behind him?

Are you making things up again Karma, its a bad habit you have! Your walter mitty style of posting is only funny for so long

Meditator, you're only cute for so long.

Wanna get really technical?
    Ronaldinho is under wages of around £90,000 a week then, with a bonus structure that brings it up to a possible £10,000,000 a year!
    Which means that Ronhildinhos basic wages are £90,000, with the potential to rise as high as £200,000 if succesful!
    If he's as good as you seem to think, then that would be all but guaranteed wouldn't it?!
    Grow up.
    Nobody knows how much Ron was paid, but if you think that he's on a simple £90,000 a week you need to look in a mirror and revaluate.

£90,000 a week
    £????? per appearance
    £????? assist bonus
    £????? goal bonus
    £????? bonus for every club event appearance

etc....
    etc....
    etc....

But lets forget that, cause as I said, neither of us know what he's being paid.

Answer me one simple point of logic.

You claim Keane is worth £12,000,000
    Andy Johnson is being sold for £12,000,000

So you're saying that Johnson and Keane are as good as each other?

Or am I making up all that as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Robbie Keane (Pic: Chris Neill)

That pic is clearly a fake.

Rafa says he is "very intelligent".

So, no way would Robbie wear all blue on his first day in Merseyside...... would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People who say you should only get excited by players like Kaka and Messi should go support Chelsea or Madrid, because they are the only teams that will ever be able to buy players like that in their prime. Why? Because they are the only ones who don't consider financial costs.

Also peolpe should stop saying Tevez is gona cost 32, especially since it was basically one news report, which both sets of groups dismissed immediately and said they haven't even looked at it and won't until after the transfer window.

Keane imo is an excellent signing. Talented clever little player, who has an eye for goal, and can do the spectacular. IMO will up his scoring rate beyond a shadow of a doubt for Liverpool. People talk about how he was with Berbatov and that suited him perfectly, and they are right. He's going to suffer because he's not with Berbatov. But what people forget is that Keane and Berbatov create the majority of their goals on their own, because Spurs midfield in the last few years, bar Carrick, has been absolutely ****e.
    Keane will step up, no doubt in my mind about that. I think he is the new Sheringham personally, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him at United (although he's not really what we need)

Is he worth 20 million? 4 years. No re-sale value. 5 million a year. Possibly more as he could probably play till a little older.
    Just looking at the league, assuming he stays fit, you're looking at at least 15 goals a season, probably close to 20. Add to that, maybe 6-7 assists. These goals don't come in one place, he scores against all class of opposition, home and away, something you don't have in your current striker. Is that worth 5 million a year? I'm going to say yes.

I don't think he is the final piece ala Carrick, still think you need another widish attacker, but he's an excellent player, an excellent signing, and will no doubt add to the club.

To top it all off, he's a lifelong Liverpool fan.

Personally I can't think of somebody that much better for that price.

It seems to me people are saying that so and so isn't worth that price. When confronted with the point that other strikers much worse are going for that price, they fail to respond. It seems that what they value a player at is very different to what is actually going on in football these days.

Meditator, you're only cute for so long.

Wanna get really technical?
    Ronaldinho is under wages of around £90,000 a week then, with a bonus structure that brings it up to a possible £10,000,000 a year!
    Which means that Ronhildinhos basic wages are £90,000, with the potential to rise as high as £200,000 if succesful!
    If he's as good as you seem to think, then that would be all but guaranteed wouldn't it?!
    Grow up child.
    Nobody knows how much Ron was paid, but if you think that he's on a simple £90,000 a week you need to look in a mirror.

£90,000 a week
    £????? per appearance
    £????? assist bonus
    £????? goal bonus
    £????? bonus for every club event appearance

etc....
    etc....
    etc....

But lets forget that, cause as I said, either of us know what he's being paid.

Answer me one simple point of logic.

You claim Keane is worth £12,000,000
    Andy Johnson is being sold for £12,000,000

So you're saying that Johnson and Keane are as good as each other?

Or am I making up all that as well?

You should know better than dude. Im sorry that you have taken my opinions to heart so much. I forgive you;)!

Now tell me were you got this information-point me in the direction of the source?

Keano Keano Keano ---- Bitter memories of hearing this in Anfield

Great post PHB.

6.5m per year was the figure I heard

Do the Maths yourself, its not far of Torres and Gerrard and he is in their league;)

Sorry, I was typing fast. That should have been £90k a week, not £80k.

You don't seem to have answered by question though meditraitor. Would Ronnie settle for less wages than Torres & Gerrard? I don't think someone with an ego as big as his would.

Oh, and by the way, I did the maths. €6.5million = £5,135,515million (at todays rates). Thats closer to £98K per week:rolleyes:

rosboy wrote: »
    Sorry, I was typing fast. That should have been £90k a week, not £80k.

You don't seem to have answered by question though meditraitor. Would Ronnie settle for less wages than Torres & Gerrard? I don't think someone with an ego as big as him would.

Oh, and by the way, I did the maths. €6.5million = £5,135,515million (at todays rates). Thats closer to £98K per week:rolleyes:

So the wages and fee comparison are put to bed. Would you prefer Ronaldinho to Keane?

And just to reiterate a point for you/karma/alan I only said Keane was not worth 20m IN MY OPINION
    At which point some posters got their knickers in a twist and started questioning my logic by asking who I would sign for this money at which point I say ronaldinho at which point a wage comparision was questioned and now you are making a Phycological comparison.

Chill out. All I said was he is not worth it. I could be wrong:)

Mark

• Advertisement

You should know better than dude. Im sorry that you have taken my opinions to heart so much. I forgive you;)!

Now tell me were you got this information-point me in the direction of the source?

Keano Keano Keano ---- Bitter memories of hearing this in Anfield

I like Robbie but is he worth £18/20 miliion? Im not convinced.

£12m at most

Sorry.
    I guess I made that up too!:rolleyes:

So the wages and fee comparison are put to bed. Would you prefer Ronaldinho to Keane?
    Put to bed as in Keane is making £18K less per week that Ronnie (excluding add on mentioned in previous post by Karmafaerie).

I'd take Keane over Ronaldinho anyday of the week.

See my post on the previous page.
    So we spend £21 on a player who has just had an injury prone and inconsistent season (while also being a disruptive influence at the club i.e. thinking he's bigger than the club and falling out with half the team), rather than £18 on a player who has been stability/consistency personifiation for the last 5 or six years?rolleyes.gif

Keane is a proven premier league player. Ronaldinho isn't.

Sorry.
    I guess I made that up too!:rolleyes:

What are you on about ourlad? Take a breather and come back to the thread later.

Im really sorry but I still dont think Keane is worth 20m.

KARMA/ROSBOY

Nothing you say will convince me Keane is worth 20m.

In 9 months time after the season I hope to come back here and be proven wrong but I cannot change what I think because some dudes on the internet are getting emotional.

We might as well agree to disagree at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement