Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

What are you on about ourlad? Take a breather and come back to the thread later.

Im really sorry but I still dont think Keane is worth 20m.

I'll try and go slowly for you M.

You...said...that...Robbie...is...only...worth...£12,000,000.

Johnson...is...about...to...be...sold...for...£12,000,000.

£12,000,000 = £12,000,000

Keane = Johnson.

Want me to go through that for you again?
    I can draw a diagram for you if you want.

(God the internet brings out the worst in me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Keane will be a good signing for Liverpool although I think he might need a good few games to find his feet and adapt to Liverpool's team. When he does though he will get goals.

As a United fan and Robbie Keane admirer it will be strange to see Ireland's leading scorer playing for Liverpool but I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

(God the internet brings out the worst in me!)

it really does, dont be such a sarcy little fella. no need tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    it really does, dont be such a sarcy little fella. no need tbh.

Mr Alan, the paragon of internet posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Someone just posted, then deleted, that they think Keane is no good.

OK.

http://www.thefootballpremiership.co.uk/premiership_top_goalscorers.htm

He's been in the top ten goalscorers in the EPL for the past three years.

Premiership Top Goalscorer 2007/08
    Ronaldo Man Utd 30
    Adebayor Arsenal 24
    Torres Liverpool 23
    Santa Cruz Blackburn 19
    Berbatov Tottenham 15
    Keane Tottenham 15
    Benjani Man City 15
    Tevez Man Utd 14
    Carew Aston Villa 13
    Yakubu Everton 13

Premiership Top Goalscorer 2006/07
    Top Goalscorers

Didier Drogba Chelsea 21
    Benni McCarthy Blackburn 19
    Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd 17
    Mark Viduka Middlesbro' 16
    Darren Bent Charlton 14
    Kevin Doyle Reading 14
    Wayne Rooney Man Utd 14
    Dimitar Berbatov Tottenham 13
    Robbie Keane Tottenham 12
    Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 12

Premiership Top Goalscorer 2005/06

Thierry Henry Arsenal 27
    Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United 21
    Darren Bent Charlton Athletic 18
    Frank Lampard Chelsea 16
    Wayne Rooney Manchester United 16
    Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur 16
    Marlon Harewood West Ham United 14
    Craig Bellamy Blackburn Rovers 13
    Yakubu Aiyegbeni Middlesbrough 13
    Didier Drogba Chelsea 12

To all the Robbie Keane naysayers, which one of them players would you want? I mean possibilities? It isn't possible you'd sign Ronaldo or Rooney for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Des wrote: »
    Mr Alan, the paragon of internet posters.

*takes bow*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

There's a good interview with Bill Shankly in today's Guardian from Dec 68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's a good interview with Bill Shankly in today's Guardian from Dec 68

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/28/liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Meditator, you're only cute for so long.

Wanna get really technical?
    Ronaldinho is under wages of around £90,000 a week then, with a bonus structure that brings it up to a possible £10,000,000 a year!
    Which means that Ronhildinhos basic wages are £90,000, with the potential to rise as high as £200,000 if succesful!
    If he's as good as you seem to think, then that would be all but guaranteed wouldn't it?!
    Grow up.
    Nobody knows how much Ron was paid, but if you think that he's on a simple £90,000 a week you need to look in a mirror and revaluate.

£90,000 a week
    £????? per appearance
    £????? assist bonus
    £????? goal bonus
    £????? bonus for every club event appearance

as seems to be the done thing lately, can you back that up with actual links and proof?

as you said yourself, no one knows what wages he is on, so why are you trying to claim he could be on £10,000,000 a year?

and for the highlighted parts, try not to be so condascending in your posts, you might get your point across better

BTW, condascending is when you talk down to someone:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

event wrote: »
    as seems to be the done thing lately, can you back that up with actual links and proof?

as you said yourself, no one knows what wages he is on, so why are you trying to claim he could be on £10,000,000 a year?

and for the highlighted parts, try not to be so condascending in your posts, you might get your point across better

Well, speaking of which, nobody knows the exact details of the Keane deal either.

It could be only worth 10 mars bars up front to Spurs, with a further 18m pounds depending on winning the league and CL double 4 years in a row.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but when somebody spends a day ridiculing and insulting me, I get pissed off.
    I got condescending being repeatedly insulted.
    Understandable I believe.
    As for the proof, on Ronnie, as I said, Nobody knows how much he's being paid.
    What I do know is that he's getting paid a hell of a lot more than Keane.

and for the highlighted parts, try not to be so condescending in your posts, you might get your point across better

BTW, condescending is when you talk down to someone:p

And lastly on the matter for my part.
    Maybe you should read the post I was responding to before you start advising me not to be condescending.
    Are you making things up again Karma, its a bad habit you have! Your walter mitty style of posting is only funny for so long

As I said.
    Somebody insults me, I take offence.

I've never been condescending to somebody who didn't start it.
    If anything you should give out about me being childish!:p

Anyway, back OT.

rafa-and-ngog-text.jpg
    NGOG: TORRES CAN HELP ME BE A STAR
    Jimmy Rice 28 July 2008

David Ngog admits the prospect of teaming up with one of his footballing idols played a part in his move to Anfield.
    The 19-year-old Frenchman regarded Fernando Torres as a role model when he broke onto the scene at Paris Saint-Germain 18 months ago.

El Nino has already offered the new boy some words of wisdom at Melwood – and Ngog hopes the club's number nine can help him become a big hit in the Premier League.

"I am obviously looking forward to playing and training with a striker of his quality," he told Liverpoolfc.tv. "To have someone like that who I can learn from will be great for me.

"I have already trained with Fernando and he has told me that if there is anything I need, I only have to ask. He is such a big star and it's nice that he took the time, but all the players have been similar – Gerrard and Carragher.

"Torres is one of my role models."

Another of the forward's idols is Thierry Henry, who after an initial settling in period went on to be one of the Premier League's finest ever imports.

Ngog admits he has thought about the impact his countryman made after arriving in England in August 1999, but accepts not everyone adapts so easily to life across the Channel.

"I know it won't be easy but I am still young," he added. "The French league is very good, they have good defenders there. But in England it is quicker, more intense; it impacts upon you more, physically.

"My qualities are that I am tall and quick, and technically good on the ball, but I still have to adapt to the physical side of the English game. Maybe I can be more aggressive.

"I have spoken to Rafa about how I can progress. He told me how I could learn from some of the other great players who are already here. I know I have to work very hard in order to get to the stage where I am playing a lot of games."

Ngog is set to travel to Spain with his new teammates on Tuesday and may be in contention for a debut against Villarreal the following day.

He added: "I am really looking forward to wearing the shirt for the first time. It will be a very proud moment for me, and I will try to do my best for this club.

"Liverpool were my English team – I supported PSG in France – and I love this club.

"I will do my best to prove myself here and to help the team win matches."

He says all the right things anyway.
    Hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

this chap, ngog, where does he fit in?

i thought nemeth was going to be the one to break through this year?
    will this fella not get in his way sorta?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

this chap, ngog, where does he fit in?

i thought nemeth was going to be the one to break through this year?
    will this fella not get in his way sorta?

I'm thinking he will be used like babel was last year if he has raw talent, put him on the wing forward position and see how he does.
    Not sure on that but I would imagine a few runs into the season against smaller opposition and we will know more then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I think Rafa must play football manager as much as me. Your man N'gog and Cavalieri were on my Middlesboro CL winning team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Or else perhaps he has scouts out there...

Looking forward to seeing Mr. Keane in the red in the coming seasons.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I'm thinking he will be used like babel was last year if he has raw talent, put him on the wing forward position and see how he does.
    Not sure on that but I would imagine a few runs into the season against smaller opposition and we will know more then.

I think I read a TB article where he said NGog would be getting his chance to proove himself in the league cup. I'm assuming that he'll be coming off the bench for some games that we've put to bed too, like against smaller opposition like jonny24ie said.

I read on Goal.com earlier that Rafinha might be back in Rafa's sights with the prospects of Arbeloa leaving. They've basically taken the fact that he's seemingly having a dispute with Schalke, added the fact that there is speculation about Arbeloa's future and that we were allegedly interested in him earlier in the year, and come up with this. Some other sites are reporting it too, but no reliable sites are reporting it yet.

Skysports have a little on the Rafinha-Schalke dispute though.

Seriously doubt there's much to it, but it might help distract everyone from todays Keane debate:D

rosboy wrote: »
    I read on Goal.com earlier that Rafinha might be back in Rafa's sights with the prospects of Arbeloa leaving. They've basically taken the fact that he's seemingly having a dispute with Schalke, added the fact that there is speculation about Arbeloa's future and that we were allegedly interested in him earlier in the year, and come up with this. Some other sites are reporting it too, but no reliable sites are reporting it yet.

Skysports have a little on the Rafinha-Schalke dispute though.

Seriously doubt there's much to it, but it might help distract everyone from todays Keane debate:D

Speaking of Football Manager teams!:D

• Advertisement

KEANE SIGNS 4-YEAR ANFIELD DEAL

Robbie Keane has tonight put pen to paper on a 4-year deal at Liverpool Football Club.
    Fourteen years after turning down the club he grew up supporting in favour of Wolves, the Republic of Ireland captain finally completed a dream move following a medical at Melwood.

Keane is the fifth summer addition to Rafa Benitez's first-team squad after the arrival of David Ngog, Diego Cavalieri, Philipp Degen and Andrea Dossena.

The transfer is the sixth major move of a career which began with South Dublin side Crumlin United before the prodigious teenager burst onto the scene at Wolverhampton Wanderers in 1997.

A big-money move to top flight Coventry followed before Marcelo Lippi, manager of Italian giants Inter Milan, offered £13million for his services in 2000.

Keane would team up with Ronaldo and Christian Vieri in Serie A, though the move was to turn sour when Lippi was sacked.

A loan to Leeds United was arranged in December 2000, a deal made permanent six month later.

Unfortunately, Keane's arrival at Elland Road coincided with a growing financial crisis, and he was to join the exodus of stars in 2002 with a £7million transfer to Tottenham Hotspur.

Over the next few years the frontman, famed for his cartwheel goal celebration, finally settled, tallying an impressive 107 goals in 253 appearances and becoming a firm fans' favourite.

So good was his form in February 2006 that Inter president Massimo Moratti admitted his regret at letting Keane go.

Three months before departing for Merseyside he won his first senior honour as a player after helping Spurs beat Chelsea in the League Cup final.

The 28-year-old has also carved out a name for himself on the international stage having made up part of the so-called Golden Generation which emerged in the late 1990s.

The striker was part of the Irish side which triumphed in the 1998 European U18 Championships just months after making his senior bow against the Czech Republic.

His first international goal came against Malta in October 1998 and he is now the Republic's all-time record scorer ahead of Niall Quinn.

Keane famously scored a last-minute equaliser against Germany in the 2002 World Cup, one of three in the tournament.

Few were surprised when former Reds defender Steve Staunton handed him the captain's armband upon taking the Irish reins in 2006.

Stay logged on to .tv for Keane's first interview and the views of his new boss on Tuesday.
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160674080728-1837.htm

Finally?!!:D

Yes, but is he really worth £18m:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Get in there, I think this could be our year ;)

That's it!
    Me and you, outside!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I read on Goal.com earlier that Rafinha might be back in Rafa's sights with the prospects of Arbeloa leaving.

From Wikipedia:
    Márcio Rafael Ferreira de Souza, commonly known as Rafinha, (born September 7, 1985) is a Brazilian footballer who plays at right-back for Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga. His name translated to English literally means 'Little Rafa'.

It's a done deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Keane thread started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then it is official?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote: »
    So then it is official?

Mike.

It's on the liverpoolfc.tv website

Looks like I'll have to be getting another new jersey with Keane on the back!

Will he be number 7? I remember reading an article a few weeks back about Rafa considering retiring the number 7 because of the history behind it, and the pressure he felt it put on liverpool player to live up to (Keegan & Daglish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

obviously not! he's worth £19m...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

1989 - 2009 hmmm think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Looks like I'll have to be getting another new jersey with Keane on the back!

I have never had a players name on the back of any shirt.

I will not be buying the new top or any club merchandise while these toe cowboys own our club.I got a nice retro late 70s top on ebay last week from Thailand,its surprisingly good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

was steve highway no7 at one stage.

Dub13 wrote: »
    I have never had a players name on the back of any shirt.

I will not be buying the new top or any club merchandise while these toe cowboys own our club.I got a nice retro late 70s top on ebay last week from Thailand,its surprisingly good quality.

+1 i'm gonna stick to knock offs until the americans are gone...

obviously not! he's worth £19m...

Sorry BastardPrince, you're right. It was actually a joke though going back over todays debate, before the exact figure was revealed:)
    1989 - 2009 hmmm think about it.

As I said, it was in an article based on comments from Rafa....I'm not making the suggestion. To be honest, it doesn't make a difference either way. Unfortunately my Google power are letting me down though, and I can't find the article.

Edit: It was reported in the News Of The World on the 25th of May. I've found a mention of it on the BBC soccer gossip page
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez will not use the number seven in his squad next year because of the pressure it puts on players to live up to previous incumbents like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish. (News of the World)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7418997.stm#finally

It read it somewhere much more reputable than that, but can't find the source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Delighted that he has signed. Would have been great if GH could have got him all those years ago but sure... We are just a quality player or two away from being able to mount a reasonable challenge for the league.

Sorry BastardPrince, you're right. It was actually a joke though going back over todays debate, before the exact figure was revealed:)

i was also making a joke on the same premise....

i was also making a joke on the same premise....
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Delighted that he has signed. Would have been great if GH could have got him all those years ago but sure... We are just a quality player or two away from being able to mount a reasonable challenge for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

yes delighted he has signed cant wait to see rafas formation against sunderland

darkskol wrote: »
    yes delighted he has signed cant wait to see rafas formation against sunderland

I think Keane is due to fly out for the Villareal game. Might be our first chance to see Keane/Torres/Gerrard play in the same team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think while Babel, Masch and Lucas are at the olympics we will see the following team:

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra---Agger--Dossena
    New??-- Gerrard--Alonso--Yossi

Keane---Torres

+1 i'm gonna stick to knock offs until the americans are gone...

Yea thats why I got a 70s retro one I don't even want to get a knock off of the new kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

What are you on about ourlad? Take a breather and come back to the thread later.

Im really sorry but I still dont think Keane is worth 20m.

Forget what you or I or Karma think he is worth. It's so irrelevant. Tell me honestly who is the last player that Utd or Chelsea signed who at the time people really thought was worth the price thet paid for them..Rooney-30m Ferdinand 30m. carrick-18m. Hargreaves-18m. Tevez-over20m at least. Nani-18m. Anderson-18m. Sheva-30m. SWP 18m+. Veron30m + 20m. Boswinga ffs-17m. Carvalho-20m. Ferreira-15m+. Cole-Gallas + 5m...

These are just the names off the top of my head. Who honestly thought these players were worth this at the time(hand on heart)?? But this is what you need to do to win the prem these days im afraid unless your name is Arsene Wenger(pure genius imo btw). Chelsea spend as much on right backs as we just have on keane ffs...

I hope you see where I am coming from with this post. Plus one thing I have noticed about Fergie down through the years is that he always has signed the majority of his strikers from within the premiership...Rooney, Teddy, Saha, Tevez, Cantona are but a few that spring to mind. This is something that has not been reproduced by any of the other 3 of the Big 4. Alex knows what he is doing.

mormank wrote: »
    But this is what you need to do to win the prem these days im afraid unless your name is Arsene Wenger(pure genius imo btw).

And its well recognised that Rafa shares your opinion. He's trying to use the same model at Anfield now. And he looks like he mighn't be far behind Arsene in the genius stakes.....

Huth
    San Jose
    Ayala (I haven'nt seen him play, but have heard great things about him)
    Insua
    Plessis
    Leto
    Bruna
    Pacheco
    Nemeth

All superstars in the making, and all signed in the past 18 months iirc.

The future is bright. The future is Red.

.........good post by the way mormank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

cheers. and yes it looks good alright. a mixture of both 20 mill signings and youth would be great. oh and the fact that keane is a pool fan can only help btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive been away for a week and have absolutely no info on Liverpool. I return to find that we have signed Keane & Ngog (who I know nothing about).

Have I missed anything else ?

Tusky wrote: »
    Ive been away for a week and have absolutely no info on Liverpool. I return to find that we have signed Keane & Ngog (who I know nothing about).

Speculation that Arbeloa has told Rafa he want to leave Liverpool for "personal" reasons. This is allegedly down his other half not being overly impressed with life in sunny Liverpool.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_3864855,00.html

Degen going for an operation on a groin injury. Will miss the start of the season.

Leto linked with a loan move to Olympiakos if his passport issue doesn't get sorted (I think the 31st July is when they'll have news)

Hobbs goes on loan to Leicester

Think that the most of it. You can catch up quickly here:

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/0,17032,8698,00.html

Tusky wrote: »

Did you miss me?!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Speculation that Arbeloa has told Rafa he want to leave Liverpool for "personal" reasons. This is allegedly down his other half not being overly impressed with life in sunny Liverpool.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8698_3864855,00.html

Degen going for an operation on a groin injury. Will miss the start of the season.

Leto linked with a loan move to Olympiakos if his passport issue doesn't get sorted (I think the 31st July is when they'll have news)

Hobbs goes on loan to Leicester

Think that the most of it. You can catch up quickly here:

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/0,17032,8698,00.html

Cheers!
    Did you miss me?!!!:o

A little bit.

• Advertisement

Spirit Of Shankly Website - Now Live!

Spirit Of Shankly, the Liverpool Supporters Union, is pleased to announce the launch of its brand new website - www.spiritofshankly.com

The new website will be the focal point for news coming from the Union and where members and non-members can read about what is going on. The website will be updated regularly with news, features and with information on any future plans. It will grow as the Union grows, with more features as and when required. We appreciate it has been a long time coming, but as with everything there are always unexpected delays and last minute obstacles. We wanted to make sure we got everything right, first time round, rather than having to continually go back with a quick fix here and there. After all, this will still be going in 10-20 years, not 10-20 minutes.

So take a look around the site. Read about what has gone on so far. If you haven't joined, you can now do so now online.

Spirit Of Shankly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement