Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

people are saying keane being 28 is a bad thing (in general not really from pool fans) but it means he is in his prime and it doesnt show a lack of faith in the youngsters at the club. i think the way rafa has this set up is by the time keane is getting on either Ngog or Nemeth will be ready to be one of our first choice strikers.

the next few years should be good with some of europes tops youngsters coming through our ranks, but Rafa is gonna have to pull off a real EPL challange soon if he is gonna be here to realise the potential of the youths - c'mon 5 year plan....

i cant wait for the season to start now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Official thing from the site about Ngog - nice insight as to how Rafa views him

Interesting to see we've had our eye on him for a while and managed to pick him up on the cheap. Also interesting to see Rafa mentioning Anelka and Adebayor - funny that he was trying to knock the whole "next Player X" thing on it's head but inadvertently managed to tip his hand on who he thinks he is like. Nice company to be mentioned in - Rafa obviously rated him highly ;)
    Rafa Benitez believes new signing David Ngog can make an impact in the Premier League next season despite his tender age.

The Liverpool boss knows his 19-year-old striker is not yet the finished article – though he does expect him to fight for a first-team place in 2008-09.

"He is training with the first team," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv. "Maybe he would find it difficult to play 90 minutes right now, but he will be able to.

"Normally he will be available for the first team next season. He is a player who wants to improve quickly, so he will learn and then settle down.

"We have known the player for one or two years. He was in the last year of his contract and was a good price. He is a young player and has a lot of experience to gain, but he can also give a lot to us now as well as in the future."

It has become customary for imported strikers to be labelled 'the next (insert the name of talented player from same country)' – but it's a trap Benitez is keen not to fall into.

Instead the Spaniard wants supporters to decide for themselves who Ngog most resembles.

"He can play as a target man, but he is not strong because he is still very, very young," said Benitez. "He has quality, though. He can keep the ball and pass it, and he has good movement.

"I think he has game intelligence, and yes, okay, he needs to improve physically a bit, but that will come with time and he works really hard.

"It would be difficult to compare him to anyone now, I would advise the supporters to see him play and then it will be easier for them.

"There are players with his qualities in England but the supporters can decide whether he is like Emmanuel Adebayor or Nicolas Anelka or whoever. I don't like to think too much about this."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160681080728-1707.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

With Keane in the bag, where should we spend our remaining budget?

Here's our squad:

Reina
    Arbeloa/Finnan/Degen-Carra/Agger/Hyypia/Skrtl-Dossena/Aurelio
    Alonso/Macherano/Lucas
    Keane/Kuyt/Benayoun/Gerrard/Babel
    Torres/Keane

The above are likely to be battling it out for a regular first-team spot. I've stuck my first choice in bold. In addition, we've got a lot of kids and squad players who can do a job:

Insua
    Pennant
    Plessis
    Voronin
    Leto
    N'Gog
    Cavaleiri

That's not a bad squad. Our defence is rock-solid. Our first-choice attack is potent, though we could do with some competition/different options to spice things up. I don't really think a Silva-esque signing is needed. I'd be happy for Downing or someone a little different to come in for a reasonable price.

We could also do with cover for Macherano/Alonso/Lucas. Alonso has had injury problems, and the other two will be feeling the effects of summer football, and Macherano will probably miss a few games through suspension too!

Degen apparently needs an op for a groin sprain and will miss the start of the season. There was a rumour Friday about Arbeloa wanting to move back to Spain for personal reasons. :( Looks like Finnan won't be going anywhere for a while yet. Fingers crossed Arbeloa stays - was hoping he would establish himself as first choice RB this season. Would be very disappointed if he goes.

NBM - I think Plessis is seen as Macherano's understudy - would be surprised if he isnt in the team when Mascherano and Lucas are at the Olympics. Hopeful he can act successfully as cover there.

I think a left-sided attacker has to be a priority. Considering Riise and Kewell are both gone, it looks like Leto is off to Olympiakos on loan and Babel is going to the Olympics, the weakest area of the squad has to be on the left side of the attack.

Silva would probably be the fantasy signing but I don't see it happening.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about a link with Van Der Vaart. If the rumours of him having a buyout clause of €1.5m which he can activate next year are true, I think he could well fall into our affordability range. His wife/gf had their first kid in the last month or two so he might not be that keen to move at the moment though, when he can go next year and probably getting a massive signing on fee. He's not a traditional winger but could see him fulfilling the desabillique role a la Aimar at Valencia

I wouldn't mind Downing in the squad with himself and Babel battling it out to be first-choice. The big question is how much it would take to sign him. Can see Southgate and Boro not wanting to lose him. Anyone any idea what there financial situation in general is?

No word yet on the sale of Itandje but presuambly we will get a min of £1.5m for him. Even if we don't sell any other players that resuces our net spend to around the £6m mark. If as rumored the transfer kitty was arounf the £20m, we would possibly have £14m to spend. Surely Rafa can pick up a left-sided player for this? With the signing of Keane it seems like we are not that far away from having a genuinely impressive squad this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've heard rumours that Rafinha will be (back on?) the radar if Arbeloa returns to Spain. I'd be sad to see Arbeloa go though, I think he's fantastic.

I'm not entirely sure about Plessis. He was supposedly only with the squad for the Arsenal league game because he couldn't join the reserves on a trip to Texas because of visa issues. He did OK when he came into the first team, but he was far from spectacular as well. The jury is very much still out on him, I guess.

A left-sided attacker is probably neccessary, but it's important to properly identify the role required. We don't particularly have use for an out-and-out winger who'll hug the sideline, run to the byline and supply crosses. Our team isn't set up like that. Ideally, we want someone who is comfortable with the ball at feet, is creative and is very mobile.

Silva does tick these boxes (and more), but I can't see Rafa relegating Babel to the bench (or the right, for that matter). I'd only take Downing if the price was right - anything over 10-12 million is too much. Van Der Vaart would be a good buy, as he's quite versatile. Bremen's Diego would be very good too, and he's having a bit of a strop with his club over the Olympics at the moment too.

Voronin + 12 million = Diego?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bring the new season on lads!! Delighted with the signing - great to have it just happen as opposed to the weeks and weeks of rubbish around the Barry deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Just on SSN that its confirmed Robbie will wear the No 7 shirt. Added pressure??

Also on the official site
    In his first interview since signing for Liverpool, Robbie Keane talks cartwheel celebrations, Fernando Torres and the number seven shirt. The lifelong Red also explains why he initially rejected our overtures more than 14 years ago.

Robbie, you're a Liverpool fan – this must be a dream come true?

It is a dream come true. I have been a massive fan all my life and to be sat here today is overwhelming.

Why is now the right time to come to Liverpool?

Because the opportunity came along. You know, Liverpool came in for me and it was something I always dreamed about as a kid. I am at the stage now where I want to kick on a bit and win a lot of trophies. I believe that Liverpool can do that with the squad of players we have.

Is it right you had the opportunity to come here when you were a teenager?

I had the opportunity when I was 14. I could have signed but I just thought that, at the age I was, I might have a better chance of playing first-team football at Wolves – and that's how it worked out. I don't regret it, because I got into the Wolves team when I was just 17. I never regret things in life. By being at Wolves and going to the clubs I've been to – these things have led me to where I am today. There has been talk and speculation about a transfer since then but until now it has always been speculation.

What has Rafa Benitez told you about your role here?

I have spoken to him about the situation. He knows how I play and hopefully I can do a job for him. It is up to me to prove that I can stay in the team every week. You don't just come into a club and expect to walk straight into the team; you have to earn your place and I am looking forward to doing that.

You'll be working day in, day out with Rafa – was he a big factor in you signing?

Yes, he was. He is a fantastic manager and has done a lot for Liverpool Football Club. He has won the Champions League. That is a massive factor. But no one has to sell Liverpool Football Club to me. It sold itself a long, long time ago. When an opportunity like this comes along, you have to grab it with both hands.

You've played with some of the best strikers around in the last few years and I guess you are chomping at the bit to get out there and play with perhaps the best forward in the world, Fernando Torres…

He has been a revelation since he came to the Premier League. He was absolutely outstanding last year and also in the Euros with Spain. It is hard to leave Tottenham with some of the players they had – like Dimitar Berbatov, who I had a great relationship with – but Torres is probably the best striker in the world right now. Hopefully we can play a lot of games together and do well.

Do you see yourself as a second striker, someone who can play a bit deeper behind, say, Torres, or as a striker in your own right?

I see myself as a second striker. I can play off the shoulder, link things up and play in the hole. You are always judged on scoring goals as a striker and I have always scored a lot of goals. Hopefully I can continue that here at Liverpool.

How keen are you to pull on that number seven shirt here at Liverpool?

Yes, as a Liverpool fan the number seven jersey is massive. It is a fantastic opportunity for me that obviously I'm relishing. The people who have worn the number seven here, like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish – if I do half the job they did at Liverpool I will be happy.

Was the lure of the Champions League a big factor?

I have only played in Champions League qualifiers before but, you know, it's the whole package. I have always wanted to come here but, yes, the Champions League and being able to win things is a major factor.

At 28, would you say you are in your prime?

Yes, I think so. The last four years have been great for me and I believe I am at my peak. I am at a good age and if I didn't come to Liverpool now, maybe the opportunity wouldn't come again. It has worked out perfectly for me and, hopefully, for Liverpool Football Club as well.

You scored two against us last year – was that strange, as a Liverpool fan?

It is difficult. I support Liverpool but you have to blank that out of your mind. It was nice to score at the Kop end but now I am looking forward to scoring at the Kop end in a red shirt.

It's Villarreal on Wednesday, then Rangers at the weekend. Either of these would be great to make your debut, wouldn't they?

Regardless of who it's against it will be fantastic. It's something I am really looking to. I'm not too bothered who it is against, I'm just looking forward to pulling on that red shirt and playing for Liverpool. It's something I've always dreamed about and sometimes dreams do come true.

You are famous for your cartwheel celebration – might we see that at Anfield any time soon?

I will probably bring it out once for the Liverpool fans as I've done it down the years, but after that it will probably go back in the box.

And this must be a nice way to end a brilliant summer for you, what with you getting married as well?

Yes, it's been a fantastic year for me all in all, with Tottenham doing well and winning the League Cup, then getting married and now coming to the club I love. I will never, ever forget this year.

Was it a difficult decision to leave Tottenham?

It was, because of the relationship I had with everyone there, and being vice-captain. Ledley King has been injured quite a lot, so I've had to take on the role of captain quite a bit. The relationship I had with the fans and the chairman meant it was difficult to leave. I am leaving good friends behind, but if there is one club that could take me away from Tottenham it is Liverpool.

Do you have a message for the Tottenham supporters?

Sometimes in life you don't get many opportunities to go somewhere you have dreamed of going. The Tottenham fans have been absolutely brilliant with me and I want to thank them for their support over the years. I look forward to seeing them again and I will never forget the way they treated me.

And what would you say to Liverpool fans who are obviously very excited about seeing you here?

I can't wait to put the jersey on and hopefully they are looking forward to it too. I will always give 100 per cent for this club and hopefully score and create goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I'm not entirely sure about Plessis. He was supposedly only with the squad for the Arsenal league game because he couldn't join the reserves on a trip to Texas because of visa issues. He did OK when he came into the first team, but he was far from spectacular as well. The jury is very much still out on him, I guess.

Hadn't heard that re the visa issues, but Plessis is a bit of a donkey in my opinion, even though he did do okay v Arsenal. Anytime I've seen him in the reserves, he's always been outplayed by Spearing, and when he shoots the corner flags are in more danger of being hit than the nets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160687080729-0826.htm

Keane's official photo call and interview. Thats some smile on his and Rafa's face, i'm very happy with this as it adds another point of attack to our side.
    Defence is sorted with the 2 new full backs and the return of D-Agger. What Keane gives is a different option and also takes away some of the pressure on Torres to get the goals especially in a 2nd season were he will be a watched man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

carra has threated to bash robbie if he does that poncy celebration at Anfield.

tn_IMGL5482.jpg

have to admit, i never thought i'd see this

robbie-keane290708a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anybody else think that Rafa and Robbie seem a little bit, too close!!!!

PROP080729-05-Liverpool_Keane.jpg

:D

Robbie Keane living Liverpool dream
    Jul 29 2008 EXCLUSIVE by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

ROBBIE KEANE today revealed he would not have left Tottenham to join any club other than Liverpool.

The lifelong Liverpudlian put the finishing touches to his "dream" £20m move from White Hart Lane to Anfield yesterday and is now looking forward to challenging for trophies with his boyhood heroes.

Keane – who will wear the iconic number 7 shirt associated with Reds legends Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Ian Callaghan and Peter Beardsley – thanked Spurs for not standing in the way of the transfer and insisted he will never forget the way he was looked after by the London club.

"I couldn't have left Tottenham for any other club," he said.

"It was a hard one for me because of the relationship I had with everyone there, the chairman, the fans and the players, and everything was set up lovely for me.

"But when the interest came in from Liverpool it was the only thing that could have ever taken me away from Tottenham and that's the reason why I'm here now.

"Tottenham have been absolutely fantastic. It's been a tough situation for them as it has been for myself, but in life sometimes you have to move on.”

The 28-year-old will go straight into Liverpool's travelling party for tomorrow night's friendly against Villarreal in Spain. But Reds boss Rafa Benitez is still to decide whether or not to include Keane in his squad.

Keane, though, believes he is fit and ready to take part, having been involved in Tottenham's pre-season preparations, and he admits he cannot wait to team up with his new "world class" team mates, Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

He added: "My fitness is fine. I'm raring to go.

"I'm hoping to travel to Villarreal but I don't know for sure yet. I'll leave that to the manager.

"You look at the players who are already here, world class players, and to be playing alongside them can only improve me.

"Obviously, Stevie has been absolutely world class since he's been here and he's getting better every year.

"Then there's Fernando, who had an unbelievable first season in English football, and I'm really looking forward to playing alongside him."

Benitez today welcomed the arrival of his latest signing and backed him to deliver in the Premier League.

He said: “Robbie is a very good player who is proven in the Premier League. He is a good professional, with a good mentality and everyone at the club is glad to have Robbie Keane in the squad.

“We now have several options in attack. We can play Keane with Torres, Gerrard can play like he did last season, and there is also Kuyt, Babel, Ngog and Voronin,

“The challenge to all of them is to work hard and to show they deserve a place in the team.

“Robbie has played on the right for Tottenham but I know he prefers to play up front. The important thing is he is a clever player and that makes it easy for the manager.”

Robbie on the right and in the hole then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yet again Rafa came across very well when pushed about Gareth Barry. Just kept saying he wants to enjoy today because Robbie has signed. The interviewer told him the fans want Barry(Do we?????) and would he be signing, Rafa smiled and said Keane has signed.

Melion wrote: »
    Yet again Rafa came across very well when pushed about Gareth Barry. Just kept saying he wants to enjoy today because Robbie has signed. The interviewer told him the fans want Barry(Do we?????) and would he be signing, Rafa smiled and said Keane has signed.

I sure as hell would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Can wait to hear this being sung from the Kop this season
    To the tune of the old crouchie song..

He's Fast,
    He's Red,
    He talks like father ted
    It's Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane!

Brilliant!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Full text of Keane's interview with TB
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/29/joining-liverpool-feels-like-christmas-robbie-keane-100252-21423352/

I like this:
    All my mates are Liverpool fans and all my family are Liverpool fans, so it's going absolutely mental back there.

"I'm sure I'll be getting battered for tickets, especially seeing as it's not so far from there with the ferry or the flights over every day."
    Once a dub always a dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just in relation to Ngog, how come Wenger never went for him? I always just imagine him knowing every young up and coming French player. That would cast a doubt in my mind about Ngog. Only a slight doubt cos i've never heard of him before and can't judge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Anybody else think that Rafa and Robbie seem a little bit, too close!!!!

PROP080729-05-Liverpool_Keane.jpg

And what's Robbies right hand doing while he stares lovingly into Rafa's eyes?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

The Times has an article about Keane arriving. Its all stuff that has been reported earlier, except this one gem:
    Andriy Voronin, who is a £6 million target for a number of German clubs

Please let it be true:p

rosboy wrote: »
    The Times has an article about Keane arriving. Its all stuff that has been reported earlier, except this one gem:

Ha Ha Ha Ha hA ha!! Brilliant one. Someone needs to be fired for that one. Either the German scouts or the journalist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I suspect that number is zero.

Lads Voronin is a decent player, could do real well with a mid table team playing week in week out.

we are way too harsh on him, tbh in this market 6m is **** all. wouldnt be suprised if there is truth in this

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just in relation to Ngog, how come Wenger never went for him? I always just imagine him knowing every young up and coming French player. That would cast a doubt in my mind about Ngog. Only a slight doubt cos i've never heard of him before and can't judge!

With 1 goal in 18 games last year, he hardly set the world alight.

Now some will say its hard to score goals in a crap team, others will say they were a crap team because one of their strikers only scored one goal.....

There must be something about him I suppose, but my expectations are low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So is the price. He scored 3 for the French U19 I think and PSG was no club to shine in last season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Crouch is gone dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

no Kuyt wont be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kuyt provides a decent alternative, hard working against the top sides when heart can matter more than skill, but if he plays in the majority of games against poorer opposition I guarantee you Liverpool will not win the league. That said, I don't think Rafa is finished in the market yet (even after Barry)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    but if he plays in the majority of games against poorer opposition I guarantee you Liverpool will not win the league.

No PHB.

No you think it couldnt happen.

You can say you dont think its do-able.

But you cant guaruntee anything

:rolleyes:

I don't think Rafa is finished in the market yet (even after Barry)

From the BBC yesterday;
    The arrival of Keane takes Liverpool's spending to about £32m since the end of last season. They have already drafted in Philipp Degen, fellow full-back Andrea Dossena, goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri and teenagers David Ngog and Emmanuel Mendy.

About £20m has been raised by selling Crouch, John Arne Riise, Scott Carson and Danny Guthrie.

So that's only £12m spent, if the Barry thing ain't gonna happen, I wonder what else is up Rafa's sleeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

DeadSkin wrote: »
    So that's only £12m spent, if the Barry thing ain't gonna happen, I wonder what else is up Rafa's sleeve.

Hopefully a few new watches for Montse :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No PHB.

No you think it couldnt happen.

You can say you dont think its do-able.

But you cant guaruntee anything

:rolleyes:

Really? It's great you pointed that out. I'm pretty sure before you did, every single person on this board was thinking, oh PHB has guaranteed it, it will happen. If you hadn't pointed that out, everybody would be totally confused. Jesus christ, It's a figure of ****ing speech.

With 1 goal in 18 games last year, he hardly set the world alight.

Now some will say its hard to score goals in a crap team, others will say they were a crap team because one of their strikers only scored one goal.....

There must be something about him I suppose, but my expectations are low.

That's what i mean though. I'm not judging the player, he could turn out great and hopefully he will, but the fact that Wenger didn't go for him.....does that suggest he doesn't rate him??

DeadSkin wrote: »

Surely the focus must be on a 20 million ish pound widish attacking midfielder. VDV maybe, Bentley maybe, whichever he thinks would work within their system. Personally I think Liverpool need a winger who isn't afraid to go to the corner flag and get paint on his boots. I know the fullbacks provide width, but with the amount of strikers and midfielders he could be playing in those 'wide' positions it's a lot to ask of your full backs, who by in large are untested in the premiership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

rosboy wrote: »

It was 3m last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Actually all we need is a winger/fb/anyone who can get a cross in without hitting the first man.

I'd love if we kept Alonso now, and brought in another possible wideman starter.

I think Rafa may be tinkering with the idea of playing 4-3-3 with both SG and RK playing off the front man, and a 3 man midfield of Alonso-Masch-Barry

But who knows, It will be another start to the season without knowing our best team or formation...

Rafa's thoughts on Keane. Main thing is the fact that he mentioned playing him up front and on the right.

Given there was no mention of playing him on the left, I'm taking it as an indicaton that Rafa is still interested in a left-sided player.

From the Leto interview last week, it seems clear that a deadline of the 31 of July was agreed on Leto either getting his passport sorted or going on loan to Olympiakos. Fingers crossed Rafa has his eye on targets and will make a move straight away, depending on whether or not Leto is in the squad.
    RAFA: KEANE A GREAT PARTNER FOR TORRES
    Jimmy Rice 29 July 2008

Rafa Benitez believes Robbie Keane can be the perfect foil for 33-goal Fernando Torres next term.

The Anfield boss sees the pair as a lethal combination of guile and pace capable of firing the Reds to glory in 2008-09.

Speaking exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv after the 28-year-old signed last night, Benitez said: "We were looking for a player with game intelligence and good movement who could play alongside Torres.

"He can play with Torres up front and also on the right.

"We knew he was a Liverpool fan since forever. We knew that he was a very good signing in terms of the commitment, the quality and the intelligence of the player.

"He is a player who can give to us a lot of goals – normally he gets about 15 each year. We were looking for the workrate he can give to us, the game intelligence and also the goals."

Keane scored an impressive 107 goals in 253 appearances for former club Tottenham – but the penalty box isn't the only place Benitez believes he'll have an impact.

The Reds manager thinks his new boy will have a positive effect on team morale.

"He has experience in the Premier League and also all the reports of his personality and professionalism are fantastic. He can be a good example for the young players," said Benitez.

"I feel like he has enough experience in the game and that he has a very good mentality. He is very hungry, so everything is positive."

After being unveiled to the press this morning, Keane could travel with his new teammates to Villarreal.

Whenever he does make his debut, it is likely to be in the number seven shirt.

Benitez added: "Yes, we were talking about the number, and the big names that have had this number, so it will be inspirational for him to have it too."

One of the first questions fans will be asking when Keane does finally make his bow is whether they'll see his famous cartwheel goal celebration.

The man himself says it would be rude not to bring it out once for the Kop, though Benitez has told supporters not to expect spectacular celebrations week in, week out.

He said: "We will talk. It is important to score and also to celebrate afterwards, but he has to be careful just in case!"

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...080729-0827.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Rafa's thoughts on Keane. Main thing is the fact that he mentioned playing him up front and on the right.

Given there was no mention of playing him on the left, I'm taking it as an indicaton that Rafa is still interested in a left-sided player.

From the Leto interview last week, it seems clear that a deadline of the 31 of July was agreed on Leto either getting his passport sorted or going on loan to Olympiakos. Fingers crossed Rafa has his eye on targets and will make a move straight away, depending on whether or not Leto is in the squad.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N...080729-0827.htm

I really dont think Leto is good enough for the squad. We need someone to come in and compete with Babel on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I could still see a move for Riera tbh, he's completely burned his bridges so as the summer gets on, the price will have to drop which is why i think pool are hanging back. For 12mill ish he could be a decent buy. Was an awful lot better last season then in his previous years, has really come on in leaps and bounds since being loaned to city.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    We need someone to come in and compete with Babel on the left.

......and to take his place while he's at the Olympics.
    I think Downing could do a job on the wing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

PHB wrote: »
    Surely the focus must be on a 20 million ish pound widish attacking midfielder. VDV maybe, Bentley maybe, whichever he thinks would work within their system. Personally I think Liverpool need a winger who isn't afraid to go to the corner flag and get paint on his boots. I know the fullbacks provide width, but with the amount of strikers and midfielders he could be playing in those 'wide' positions it's a lot to ask of your full backs, who by in large are untested in the premiership.

Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!Please be Silva!

Tusky wrote: »
    I really dont think Leto is good enough for the squad. We need someone to come in and compete with Babel on the left.

Tbh Tusky I don't particularly rate him, but I havent seen much of him but it's clear that Rafa does - any time he mentions him he speaks very highly of him. Also the willingness to keep him around even with the passport fiasco and also the loan deal as opposed to a sale to Olympiakos. In fairness he is still a relatively young lad and the whole passport situation can have been easy for him. He was very poor in the Marseille CL game but it was a poor team performance in general. Can't really recall much about his other first team performances. I wouldnt like to be relying on him but for Carling Cup games apperances off the bench I'd be willing to take a chance.

Also I think/hope it will be the case that another left-sided player comes in even if Leto stays, but whether Leto stays or goes will affect the type of player brought in. If Leto goes then I would expect a more traditional type of winger a la Downing, but if he stays someone who is more likely to drift in a la VanDerVaart. Probably not going to be as simple as a choice between those two but I can see it affecting who Rafa bids for. Wonder if we might see some action happening on Friday once the 31st deadline passe?

monkey9 wrote: »
    That's what i mean though. I'm not judging the player, he could turn out great and hopefully he will, but the fact that Wenger didn't go for him.....does that suggest he doesn't rate him??

Wenger doesn't own France people.

Listed some of the lefties rumoured.

Silva - Too rich for our blood
    VanDerVaart - Could be available relativel cheaply but would probably be looking for biggish money in wages/signing on fees
    Downing - can see there being an English player tax. Can't see Boro wanting to lose him. Can see them looking for around the £15m. Advantages include - knows the league, would chip in with goals, good for assists and deadballs, vast experience yet still pretty young.
    Riera - would want to make a massive improvement from what he was like at City
    Diego - Don't know much about him - Seems more a central player as opposed to an out-and-out left winger - Has there been any rumour linking him to Pool or is it a case of 2+2? Also what sort of cost?
    Millner - Fingers crossed this is dead - Newcastle's £9m valuation :eek:

Bentley - Right winger - don't think Rafa is interested - looks like the Spurs thing is on - might mean some interest from Blackburn for Pennant

Any one else I'm forgetting/missing?

There's always the chance that it might be someone we havent been linked with a la Babel last year.

Also on the Arbeloa thing - about moving back to Spain for personal reasons - seeing as there hasn't been any further word/rumours about it, I'm putting it in the back corner unless I hear something different. Optimism ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tbh Tusky I don't particularly rate him, but I havent seen much of him but it's clear that Rafa does - any time he mentions him he speaks very highly of him. Also the willingness to keep him around even with the passport fiasco and also the loan deal as opposed to a sale to Olympiakos. In fairness he is still a relatively young lad and the whole passport situation can have been easy for him. He was very poor in the Marseille CL game but it was a poor team performance in general. Can't really recall much about his other first team performances. I wouldnt like to be relying on him but for Carling Cup games apperances off the bench I'd be willing to take a chance.

Also I think/hope it will be the case that another left-sided player comes in even if Leto stays, but whether Leto stays or goes will affect the type of player brought in. If Leto goes then I would expect a more traditional type of winger a la Downing, but if he stays someone who is more likely to drift in a la VanDerVaart. Probably not going to be as simple as a choice between those two but I can see it affecting who Rafa bids for. Wonder if we might see some action happening on Friday once the 31st deadline passe?

Hes not that young. He turns 22 this August. A year younger than Agger, 2 years younger than Mascherano, Skrtel & Torres.

was in the Ilac centre on my lunch and saw two lads with

KEANE

on the back of their jerseys.

kids these days :)

Liverpool are believed to have turned down a £7m bid from Sevilla for Arbeloa.

Rafa confirms there is little or no more money left for transfers - presumably the Mascherano acquisition was from this year's budget
    "We knew that we could only spend money by selling players"

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/07/29/SOCCER_Liverpool_Benitez.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

This was just on the bbc rumours page:

Rafael Benitez has confirmed he must sell again to bring Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to Liverpool, but the Reds manager has no intention of selling defender Alvaro Arbeloa to Sevilla. (Press Association, 1510 BST)

Also on the Arbeloa thing - about moving back to Spain for personal reasons -seeing as there hasn't been any further word/rumours about it, I'm putting it in the back corner unless I hear something different. Optimism ftw.

From the Mail;
    Alvaro Arbeloa is 'definitely, definitely' staying at Anfield despite rumours that he is unsettled on Merseyside.

Media reports have linked the Spanish right-back with a move back to La Liga after just one season in a Liverpool shirt.

Yet a senior club source said all speculation was unfounded and that the 25-year-old defender will still be with the Reds next season.

..........and the BBC;
    Rafael Benitez has confirmed he must sell again to bring Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry to Liverpool, but the Reds manager has no intention of selling defender Alvaro Arbeloa to Sevilla. (Press Association, 1510 BST)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement