Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

While City officials are reported to have flown in to Barcelona last night to keep up their pursuit of the Brazilian, Hughes wants to become reunited with his former Blackburn captain Lucas Neill, who he sold to West Ham a year ago.

According to the Mail, the Hammers might accept a cut-price £750,000 offer for the full-back as the club find ways to trim their wage bill this summer. The Sun carry the same story but believe that Craig Bellamy may join Neill out the Upton Park exit door and team up with Sparky once again too.

Saw this this morning, just makes you think of where his career could have gone.
    He could have played in a CL semi final with Liverpool, instead he is being shipped around
    a series of mid table clubs and there was reported interest from Greece and Turkey.
    All because he chose 60k a week instead of 50k a week with Liverpool
    Delighted for the greedy bastard, karma for breaking carraghers leg ;)

mike65 wrote: »
    Transfer rumours are like buses.

Mike.

Always late?
    Yellow?
    €1.50?

Am i close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think Quaresma may be good for us, but i actually really hope we dont get him. hate his little greasy head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

if we dont get Barry we dont need another midfielder, we have a world class one in Alonso already. I think he'll be like having a new player this year coz the last 2 seasons have been very stop start through injury.

a revitalised Alonso is miles better than 99% of the CM's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

oobydooby wrote: »
    We should challenge for the title regardless of our summer transfers, injuries aside. With Agger back, our Achilles heel of last year will be remedied. I expect Babel and Lucas to justify their hype this year with mature match-winning performances and Kuyt should also be back on form. Rafa chased this guy and stuck by him during his multiple and lengthy lean spells. Kuyt delivers on the big stage and is a tryer. Rafa must see something in him that we haven't seen yet. Keane will improve the squad, and the first team, but we're good enough to challenge already.

Cant agree with you there.We still need two more players of the quality of Keane and hopefully Aguero to have any chance of challanging for the league.Sorry lads but Man U and Chelsea are miles ahead of us in terms of chances of the title:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would Santa Cruz be a better buy than Keane?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Possibly not, imo.

Keane has been doing well for a number of years in the Premier League.

Santa Cruz has had one decent season. He could be "found out" next year.

I'm never a fan of buying strikers after one good season in a division.

No i dont think he would.
    He would be at least 10m id imagine, has 1 season in the premiership and cannot
    play in the variety of roles that Keane can
    He is also too similar to Torres to play in the same 11 as him if you ask me.
    Would much prefer Keane even at twice the price.

As an outside punt what do people think of Nihat?
    He was dynamite when he played for sociedad, very similiar type player to Keane
    and would be much cheaper.
    18 goals in 34 goals for Villareal since he joined em shows he is prolific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i think Quaresma may be good for us, but i actually really hope we dont get him. hate his little greasy head.
    :D

I've yet to be really impressed with Quaresma, haven't seen enough of him

• Advertisement

SCOTT CARSON will end his Liverpool career this week – but it appears increasingly unlikely Xabi Alonso will follow the goalkeeper out of the Anfield exit in the near future.

Liverpool have accepted offers from Premier League new boys West Bromwich Albion and Stoke City for goalkeeper Carson, who has been told he can leave by Rafael Benitez.

Carson was not at the team’s training camp in Switzerland yesterday, instead holding talks with representatives from the promoted duo ahead of an anticipated decision between the pair within the next 24 hours.

Both clubs have offered deals that, following add-ons and incentives, could generate as much as £4m for the Anfield side.

However, there is still a chance that Blackburn Rovers could make a late bid for England international Carson, with current Ewood Park goalkeeper Brad Friedel thought to be mulling over his future at the club following the recent departure of manager Mark Hughes to Manchester City.

The imminent sale represents a healthy profit on a player who cost just £750,000 when he became Benitez’s first English signing in January 2005.

Carson, though, has struggled to break into the first team and has subsequently made just nine first-team appearances, the last of which came against Luton Town in the FA Cup

more than 18 months ago.

The 22-year-old, who has had loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton Athletic, spent the whole of last season at Aston Villa, only for Martin O’Neill to pass up on the chance to sign him on a permanent basis.

But while the keeper is poised to become the latest departure after Danny Guthrie’s £2.25m move to Newcastle United was completed yesterday, Alonso’s proposed move from Liverpool to Juventus could be in doubt after the Italian giants completed the signing of Sevilla’s Christian Poulsen.

Denmark international Poulsen underwent a medical yesterday before signing a four-year contract.

The 28-year-old has signed for around £7.8m, casting huge questions marks over their interest in £14m-rated Alonso, who plays a similar role to Poulsen and had been subject of an offer from Juve.

Benitez revealed last week that Liverpool had rejected the initial bid and were waiting for the Italians to return with an improved offer.

Although Benitez says there would be “no problem” should Alonso stay, it would impact severely on his attempts to bring both Gareth Barry and Robbie Keane to the club.

Both are expected to cost at least £15m and it’s thought unlikely Liverpool can afford to sign both without the departure of another high-profile squad member.

Javier Mascherano and Dirk Kuyt were among the players to begin the team’s training camp in Switzerland yesterday.

Liverpool take on FC Lucerne in Grenchen tomorrow night before playing Wisla Krakow on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Holland's Olympic football coach Foppe de Haan claims Ryan Babel is confident he will be fit enough to play in next month’s Olympic Games.

Babel is almost certain to be called up for the Dutch team should he prove his fitness after missing Euro 2008 through injury.

And de Haan said: “Ryan is very at ease under the words of Benitez. Other Liverpool players are also going to Beijing , so why not him?

“In the past couple of days Ryan has been doing warm-ups at Liverpool with the rest of the group. Ryan is very optimistic about his recovery and he wants to go with us to the Olympic Games very much.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2008/06/30/gareth-barry-my-future-lies-at-liverpool-fc-55578-21170913/

Seems we got 2.25 for Guthrie which aint a bad price considering.
    Also looks to me increasing likely that the Barry deal wont happen as Liverpool are basically
    refusing to pay Villas asking price which is the right thing to do as we are being robbed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

Wish we would forget about Gareth Barry. O'Neill is hinting Arsenal might be interested ? Why ? To guarantee the 18M (ludicrous) asking price !!! Duh !

Dont like MON.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Aldini98 wrote: »
    Wish we would forget about Gareth Barry. O'Neill is hinting Arsenal might be interested ? Why ? To guarantee the 18M (ludicrous) asking price !!! Duh !

Dont like MON.

And to think he was linked to the LFC job along with Rafa.....TGFR....

Toon In For Insua
    Newcastle United are thought to be keen on a loan move for Liverpool's promising full-back, Emiliano Insua...

The Argentine was kept at Anfield for this coming season supposedly under express orders from manager Rafael Benitez, but the Toon are still hopeful of securing his services, if only for a year on loan.

With new signing Andrea Dossena and Fabio Aurelio more established internationals in Insua's position, the move may remain an outside possibility, particularly as John-Arne Riise has left for Roma.

The 19-year-old would most likely head straight into the Magpies' starting line-up ahead of Jose Enrique, who has failed to live up to his £6.3 million billing from Villarreal.

Nicky Shorey of relegated Reading and Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole's deputy at Chelsea, are other targets being eyed up by the Toon.

"I've got to sign another left-back, as I've only got one at the club," said coach Kevin Keegan.

"That's not to say I don't fancy Jose [Enrique], I do, but I need another left-back."
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=777300

Think it would be a great move for him.
    Plenty of first team football and would seriously increase him value should Rafa not
    deem him capable of the step up in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IrishMike wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=777300

Think it would be a great move for him.
    Plenty of first team football and would seriously increase him value should Rafa not
    deem him capable of the step up in future.

that would be a good move alright. Toon could really do with him and he wouldn't have a lot of competition for the spot, unless they started playing n'zogbia back there again which i couldn't see happening. Once it was made very clear this was only a loan move and there wouldn't be an option to buy afterwards, i'd be up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    that would be a good move alright. Toon could really do with him and he wouldn't have a lot of competition for the spot, unless they started playing n'zogbia back there again which i couldn't see happening. Once it was made very clear this was only a loan move and there wouldn't be an option to buy afterwards, i'd be up for this.

Yeah cheers we'll take him.

In other news
    Juventus have ended their pursuit of Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso, saying they have finished their summer recruitment.

The Bianconeri have been linked with Alonso all summer and held talks with the Spaniard over a possible move to Turin.

However, the deal stalled after they failed to agree a fee with Liverpool and Juventus ended up switching targets by signing Christian Poulsen.

Juve president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli says the arrival of Poulsen signals the end of their interest in bringing in Alonso.

"Everyone knows that the transfer market ends on August 31," said Cobolli Gigli.

"But if I have to be honest, unless something extraordinary happens, we can say that we have concluded our transfer activity."

Cobolli Gigli believes Danish international Poulsen will prove to be a valuable addition to the squad.

"I am convinced that we have made a good choice by acquiring Christian Poulsen," added Cobolli Gigli.

"This signing is not a bet made by (Claudio) Ranieri but rather a tactical decision taken by Juventus, knowing that a powerful attack can only be supported by a strong midfield."

The news of Juventus' waning interest in Alonso could be a blow for Liverpool as they look to raise funds for a double swoop for Gareth Barry and Robbie Keane.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but did I not get slated last week for saying the sale of Alonso was a big if. In fact, Al even chirped in with this:
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Charlie, there comes a time in everyones life when they have to admit they are wrong

You said it son......you said it. ;)

• Advertisement

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but did I not get slated last week for saying the sale of Alonso was a big if. In fact, Al even chirped in with this:

You said it son......you said it. ;)

Can i ask what on earth are you talking about? :confused:

Can i ask what on earth are you talking about? :confused:

Can I ask what on earth are you so puzzled about? My post is fairly self explanatory.

he is talking crazy talk is wat he is talking he said that Liverpool would bring in nowhere near 40m in outgoing players.

people said basically if Alonso was sold, we would.

Charlie, see as your something of a time traveller, will you pull out you first handful of posts on the subject please, i seem to remember you saying that even if we sold Alonso, we'd get nowhere near 40m.

you were wrong. and there is 1 and a half months for Alonso to be sold.

You said Alonsos transfer was a big if....
    What the hell does that mean?
    Does that mean if he passes a medical?
    If he wants to leave?
    If Juve can afford him?
    If Liverpool sign Barry?
    Is that not true of every single transfer?
    Why on earth are you posting as if you have some inside knowledge of the deal that noone else has?

No crazy talk here Al, just having trying to have a cheap pop at your expense.

Your good self and a fair few other Liverpool supporters seemed to think that it would be a piece of piss to sell your knock offs at top prices, whilst baulking at what other clubs are looking for their top players.

I merely was pointing out that the list of money coming in was quite ambitious, and I couldn't understand how Liverpool fans couldn't see this when they seem to think that everyone elses players should be going on the cheap.

• Advertisement

Your good self and a fair few other Liverpool supporters seemed to think that it would be a piece of piss to sell your knock offs at top prices, whilst baulking at what other clubs are looking for their top players.

Links please ?
    Otherwise you are basically making it up in fairness.
    Who on earth said it would be a piece of piss to sell any players we didnt want?
    I merely was pointing out that the list of money coming in was quite ambitious, and I couldn't understand how Liverpool fans couldn't see this when they seem to think that everyone elses players should be going on the cheap.

How on earth is 17m for Garreth Barry cheap?
    Seriously the mind boggles!

No crazy talk here Al, just having trying to have a cheap pop at your expense.

less of the cheap pops at our expense please.

i still would not be suprised if the likes of Sevilla or Athletico didnt make a bid for Alonso before the window closes, its only open 2 weeks after all.

as for the rest of the "knock offs at top price" they were the prices that deals were done or close to being done at.

as was alonsos price.

Completely unsubstantiated gossip coming up
    Atletico Madrid to step in for Liverpool's Xabi
    tribalfooball.com - July 15, 2008

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is determined to find a buyer for Xabi Alonso.

Juventus have dropped interest in Xabi over Liverpool's asking price, but Benitez needs the midfielder's sale to raise much-needed transfer funds, says the Liverpool Echo.

Atletico Madrid are keeping tabs on the situation, with coach Javier Aguirre admitting they're short of a playmaker in midfield.

Completely devoid of any concrete facts but who cares ;)

Links please ?
    Otherwise you are basically making it up in fairness.
    Who on earth said it would be a piece of piss to sell any players we didnt want?

I'm not going through the hassle or rooting up the old thread and digging through posts, but a few punters seemed to think it would be a formality flogging the likes of Alonso, Pennant and the other cast offs for a pretty penny, and thinking that £12-15 million was a reasonable price for Crouch, whilst the likes of Barry and Robbie Keane are only worth £12 million themselves and that Liverpool should be paying no more than that.
    How on earth is 17m for Garreth Barry cheap?
    Seriously the mind boggles!

I never said it was cheap. However, was that the inital bid Liverpool made? No. They have dragged their heels in trying to offer all sorts of pick n' mixes of players, and the odd million or two, to get the deal through. This is their 4th or 5th bid, and only now are they starting to get near valuation.

I never said it was cheap. However, was that the inital bid Liverpool made? No. They have dragged their heels in trying to offer all sorts of pick n' mixes of players, and the odd million or two, to get the deal through. This is their 4th or 5th bid, and only now are they starting to get near valuation.

No they are now only starting to get close to MONs valuation.
    We passed out his true value at the £14m mark.
    Problem now for MON is if Liverpool say no thanks to £17m + Finnan he is
    left with a mighty unhappy captain who can buy out his contract next summer
    and walk for free.
    Would be the best outcome for Liverpool as spending £17m on Barry is lunacy in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but did I not get slated last week for saying the sale of Alonso was a big if. In fact,

You were being a pedantic tool. Just give it a break will you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm not going through the hassle or rooting up the old thread and digging through posts, but a few punters seemed to think it would be a formality flogging the likes of Alonso, Pennant and the other cast offs for a pretty penny, and thinking that £12-15 million was a reasonable price for Crouch, whilst the likes of Barry and Robbie Keane are only worth £12 million themselves and that Liverpool should be paying no more than that.

No, you have a very warped idea of what actually happened there Charlie.
    Seeing as you were responding to my post, let me clear things up for you.

I said that I thought that Liverpool would be able to generate £40,000,000 in sales, and add that onto between £15-£20,000,000 in a transfer kitty to make up a budget of around £55-60,000,000 for the season which is enough to get the players we need.

You jumped in stating that there was no way that we'd generate £40,000,000.
    Both myself and Mr Alan then pointed out just how easily we "could".
    Me you and Mr Alan then had a three way discussion about it, along with a few other posters.

All along both Alan and myself repeatedly pointed out that we think that the prices for Barry and Keane were high, but understandably so.

You then disappeared until jumping out here, and I'm sure will disappear as soon as Liverpool do generate £40,000,000 +, which I still think we will.

You said that we won't make £40,000,000 including the transfer of Alonso!!!

Just to remind you further, here's the transcript!!! :rolleyes:

My first post
    I've been saying for months that we'll spend money this year.
    I even have friends who I bet with about it.

I've always said that we'll make at least £40,000,000 in sales, and get £15,000,000 - £20,000,000 as a budget.

That's £60,000,000 hopefully, which is almost as much as last year when we bought Torres, Skretel, Babel, and Masch (among the others).

We don't need anywhere near as much of an improvement this year, so I'm still happy.

Your response.
    Where are you getting this £40 mil in sales. Couchie will net 11 and Alonso another 15 if that goes through, and you'll get 2 from us for Guthrie, but after that you'll only pick up a mil here and a mil there on players like Finnan.

Feel stupid now?!!

P.S: The page where it started
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299857&page=255

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is determined to find a buyer for Xabi Alonso.

Would somebody mind please telling what has Alonso done that Rafa wants rid of him so badly. He is a far better player than Barry imo..

N
    Feel stupid now?!!

No I don't, honestly.

Look, we'll have to agree to disagree, as I think we both differ on the valuations of Liverpool's potential sales and buys, and on how in demand Liverpool's potential sales are.

No I don't, honestly.

Look, we'll have to agree to disagree, as I think we both differ on the valuations of Liverpool's potential sales and buys, and on how in demand Liverpool's potential sales are.

Are you honestly telling me that Liverpool couldnt raise £40m through player sales?
    Torres to Chelsea £65m
    Done
    This is for you Charlie
    fail.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

No I don't, honestly.

You're entitled to your oppinion, but you're the one who came back in here again, slagging off our players, and saying that Alonso "maybe" not going to Juve is proof that you were right, when in fact you were saying something completely different in the first place.

Liverpool will easily make £40,000,000 in player sales.

Riise - £4,000,000
    Guthrie - £2,250,000
    Crouch - £12,000,000
    Le Tallec - £1,000,000

That's £19,000,000 already.

You really honestly think that we wouldn't get £21,000,000 for Alonso, Pennant, Finnan, Carson and Itange, all of whom look to be on the way out.
    Juve offered £14,000,000 for Alonso after all, which would mean that you value the combined players of Pennant, Finnan, Carson, and Itange at less than £7,000,000.

Well done.

No I don't, honestly.

sigh, just to put this one to bed, getting 40million in sales using conservative estimates;

crouch 10
    alonso 14
    guthrie 2.5
    riise 4
    finnan 2
    pennant 5
    itandje 2
    carson 4
    le tallec 1

That gives us 44.5mill so you can take the extra 4.5mill off wherever you think im being overly optimistic.

<edit> karma just pipped me to the post (pun intended)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Would somebody mind please telling what has Alonso done that Rafa wants rid of him so badly. He is a far better player than Barry imo..

Rafa doesn't think that he's good enough obviously.

It's one thing for all of us to sit here and say that if Alonso can get his form back, and stay injury free, he'll be the second coming of Jesus, but Rafa trains with him 6 days a week.
    Obviously he thinks that this isn't the case.

I'll belay to Rafas judgement in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Definately need to start charging people for the entertainment they get from winding up liverpool fans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

www.breakingnews.ie

Aston Villa outcast Gareth Barry returns to training tomorrow for the first time since his fall-out with boss Martin O’Neill over the Liverpool transfer saga.

The Midlanders went to the extent of announcing skipper Barry’s return in an official statement, saying that the midfielder would be returning to training at the club’s Bodymoor Heath HQ.

O’Neill had initially fined Barry a reported two-weeks’ wages of £60,000 and banned him from all club premises almost two weeks ago after the player had launched an attack on his manager’s handling of the on-going row over his proposed move to Liverpool.

The new twist in the saga throws up interesting situations, with O’Neill confirming this week that Arsenal had asked to be kept informed of developments.

The key is that nobody wants an unfit player on their hands. Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez last week suggested privately that they would not be prepared to pay an £18m transfer fee for a player who had missed a significant part of crucial pre-season training.

Liverpool and Villa are at stalemate over the proposed move, with the Anfield club still to meet O’Neill’s demands.

The fitness issue would also concern another prospective buyer, as well as Villa who would also not want a player in their squad patently unfit.

It is believed that Barry has not been doing any significant training on his own.

As the bitter negotiations have continued over the past couple of weeks, it has even been suggested that Liverpool’s resolve to continue haggling has decreased.

With the prospective sale of Xabi Alonso for £16m to Juventus now having fallen through – and with the player stating he did not want to leave the club - Liverpool have now turned their attentions to trying to sign Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

And there are certainly sources at Anfield who do not believe Barry is worth £18m or that he is a better player than Alonso.

Benitez said last week: “Xabi wants to stay because he is happy here. I have talked to him, he knows my ideas and he knows why. So we will try to find a solution for him, for us, and the best for the club.”

That solution may well end with Alonso staying and Barry not moving to Liverpool.

Despite the Villa man making it plain to O’Neill that he wants to move to Anfield, the Midlanders’ boss would surely love to see Barry move to Arsenal - if he is going to leave – rather than Liverpool, considering the months of rancour between the clubs.

Barry now has a choice to make. Does he continue to insist that the move to Liverpool is still his main objective or does he try for a way out of the difficult position he now finds himself in?

Although Villa are playing in the Intertoto Cup on Saturday against Odense, it would seem highly unlikely that O’Neill would want to use the player in the match considering his lack of fitness.

Even if he did make such a decision, it would not cup-tie Barry for either Arsenal or Liverpool. Recent rule changes mean that players cannot be cup-tied from one European tournament to another.

Barry’s return to training could even be a prelude to the deal with Liverpool finally going through, with his lack of fitness not allowed to become an issue.

Yis are missing my point lads. A players value wholly depends on how much someone wants him, and at the moment, there isn't a que of people lining up for your players.

All those figures you've bandied around are what YOU value them at, and worse, assume that that all possible deals will go through.

I mentioned the Alonso fall through to highlight how people were taking it for granted that other clubs wanted your players, and that your valuations would be met. At present, I don't see how I am wrong, but once Liverpool tip £40 mil mark, i'll come in here for my humble pie, scouts honor.

Oh and IrishMike, that had to be the lamest fail post ever. Yes, I know Liverpool could sell Torres and raise £40 million+, but we were never talking about the sales of Torres, Gerrard, Babel etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

no ther not, the value of risse was set by roma, crouch by pompey, guthrie by the toon.

as we know alonso was around the 15m mark - although only 14 offered
    and not our guesses for either carson or pennant - at 4 and 5 respectively - more a case of media reports.

so we're at 5 for risse 11 for crouch 2.5 for guthrie, 4 for carson and 5 for pennant oh and 1 for le tallec.

28.5 by my calculations without selling alonso. just stop digging a hole please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christ on a bike. Boggles part deux.

Mike.

mayordenis wrote: »
    no ther not, the value of risse was set by roma, crouch by pompey, guthrie by the toon.

as we know alonso was around the 15m mark - although only 14 offered
    and not our guesses for either carson or pennant - at 4 and 5 respectively - more a case of media reports.

so we're at 5 for risse 11 for crouch 2.5 for guthrie, 4 for carson and 5 for pennant oh and 1 for le tallec.

28.5 by my calculations without selling alonso. just stop digging a hole please.

(Banging my head off a wall)

• Advertisement

Yis are missing my point lads. A players value wholly depends on how much someone wants him, and at the moment, there isn't a que of people lining up for your players.

All those figures you've bandied around are what YOU value them at, and worse, assume that that all possible deals will go through.

I mentioned the Alonso fall through to highlight how people were taken for granted that people wanted your players and that your valuations would be met. At present, I don't see how I am wrong, but once Liverpool tip £40 mil mark, i'll come in here for my humble pie, scouts honor.

Oh and IrishMike, that had to be the lamest fail post ever. Yes, I know Liverpool could sell Torres and raise £40 million+, but we were never talking about the sales of Torres, Gerrard, Babel etc.

To be fair, the values i put up are not anywhere close to what i value them, i put up ridiculously low prices that i would be quite annoyed with if they were carried out. and still ended up with 4.5mill surpluss, which means not all would need to go considering finnan and itandje could both stay and we'd still reach the target. And i didn't even add in the 2mill of future money for Crouch which if included (as it is in most transfers) gives us 6.5mill leeway.

I fail to see how anyone could look at these numbers and not admit that it would not be at all strange, and would even be likely, that we broke 40mill.

All of the fringe players prices i mentioned would be steals, eg carson for 4 or pennant for 5. I couldn't see them not being snapped up for that (Carson already looks to be on his way for that price with 2 clubs fighting for him). Itandje to be fair, i wouldn't even rate as being 2mill but the mooted move to galatasaray is 2 to 3, and considering we've already bought his replacement its probably pretty close. The only sticky one would be Alonso at 14, but given the surplus i mentioned, if it was dropped to 12 (and i would be in tears) he'd definately get a serious amount of interest.

I mentioned the Alonso fall through to highlight how people were taking it for granted that other clubs wanted your players, and that your valuations would be met. At present, I don't see how I am wrong, but once Liverpool tip £40 mil mark, i'll come in here for my humble pie, scouts honor.

Boggles x5 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jose Mourinho has made his first signing as Inter Milan boss with the arrival of Amantino Mancini.

Inter have been chasing the signature of Mancini since the arrival of Mourinho earlier this summer.

Mancini has inked a four-year deal with Inter after a fee in the region of €12.5million (£10million) was agreed with Roma.

Wasn't Liverpool after Mancini there for a while? Can't understand why Liverpool wouldn't move for him at that sort of price.

Goddammit thats a cheap price for a quality winger.
    Strange decision unless Rafa has some big name lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

There is far too much humming and hawing with our deals.
    Then again we have parry doing our deals!

Read on another forum that parry is supposedly in portugal trying to sort out a deal for quaresma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Babel is included in the Dutch squad.

• Advertisement

Read on another forum that parry is supposedly in portugal trying to sort out a deal for quaresma.

Ok now im depressed :(
    Hope to God that aint true and if it is true i hope he makes a mess of it like only Parry can :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really don't rate Queresma, I never understand the buzz over him. To me he's a Ronaldo 2-3 years ago, who is very inconsistant occasionally scoring a magical goal but ultimately not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not sure if some of those wingers like Simoa and Quaresma would adapt to the premiership.

In fairness it took Ronaldo a while, and he's over 6 foot and bulked up over a year or 2.

We don't need someone who may take a long time to adapt, unfortunate as most imports may need a season to get up to speed, some don't obviously - but it would be a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

PHB wrote: »
    I really don't rate Queresma, I never understand the buzz over him. To me he's a Ronaldo 2-3 years ago, who is very inconsistant occasionally scoring a magical goal but ultimately not good enough
    bit of a show-pony alright!!

i'd prefer him to simao though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would prefer having downing in the squad over quaresma and I don't rate downing that much.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement