Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

Just read there today that Rafa will still try to sell players to raise money for Barry. Anyone see where we can get this kind of money from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just read there today that Rafa will still try to sell players to raise money for Barry. Anyone see where we can get this kind of money from?

Probably Pennant to Blackburn for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

monkey9 wrote: »
    There are some occasions when he looks a good player, i'll give you that. Even in these pre season games, he's held the ball up well and has played some lovely through balls into the strikers, splitting the defence.
    But you just don't see enough of that from him and if a club came in with an offer for him, i'd snap their hands off

all I'm saying is that he's good enough to cover for Keane/Gerrard in the attacking midfield - second striker role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really dont wanna see Yossi go though, he's exactly the kind of squad player every challenging team needs, someone who if they come in will not be a weak link.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Really dont wanna see Yossi go though, he's exactly the kind of squad player every challenging team needs, someone who if they come in will not be a weak link.

x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

And I'll counter that with this!!!

my_first_mullet_270_03.jpg

Should we all hate Nando now?

Check check mate!!!!!:D

(Sorry Al!:p)

I concede:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Are we going to resolve the Barry deal?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039828/INSIDER-EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Villa-finally-agree-19m-deal-Gareth-Barry-England-star-secures-Anfield-move.html

As much as I would welcome Barry, I would hate for us to have to sell Finnan, Pennant, Benayoun and possibly Arbeloa to do so.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I actually prefer to see Nemeth light up the place tonight than Robbie. From hearing everyone's opinion here and seeing some footage of him he looks like a great prospect.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160712080730-1155.htm
    zing- didnt see your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yom 1 wrote: »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1039828/INSIDER-EXCLUSIVE-Liverpool-Villa-finally-agree-19m-deal-Gareth-Barry-England-star-secures-Anfield-move.html

As much as I would welcome Barry, I would hate for us to have to sell Finnan, Pennant, Benayoun and possibly Arbeloa to do so.:eek:

Would more expect sales to be like;
    Itandje 2
    Finnan 2
    Pennant 6
    Voronin 4

Yoss definately won't be leaving, and to be honest im even wary of selling Pennant at the mo, we're very very short staffed out wide. Kuyt and Babel can play there, but Pennants the only natural winger in the whole squad. He doesn't fit into the 4-2-3-1, but is def needed for the 4-4-2, unless we bring in a replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

yom 1 wrote: »

How reliable is that?

Its stated as fact that we've agreed to buy Barry for £17.5m plus Finnan.

In which case, its certain that Arbeloa will be staying put.

I wonder would selling Pennant, Benayoun and Voronin mean we'd keep Alonso? Or would we still sell Alonso and buy a new £15m winger.

I hope Nemeth plays this evening. I saw him a fair few times for the reserves, and I wouldnt be raving about him the way some are. But he certainly does have a knack of being in the right place at the right time to score goals and there's plenty of potential there. But people shouldnt be thinking he'll be an instant hit like Fowler or Owen, who were totally different class when in the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

17.5 + Finnan! Holy crap. Is Finnan only thought to be worth 500,000 ?

IN
    Keane £19m
    Barry £17,5m
    Dossena £7m
    Degen Free
    Cavalieri £3m
    Ngog £1,5m
    Saric £0,9m
    £49m

Hmmm - Dont want to be negative but thats pretty much 50m. Could it have been spent more wisely ? Only time will tell I suppose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

19m for Garreth Barry!!??????? Sweet Jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

barry and keane they add new dimensions to our team and if it means finally a proper run at the title then it will all be worth it.
    Lots of money though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

£17.5 + Finnan has to be a joke?

no way barry is worth £19m especially to a club who have plenty of CM's.

I hope this doesnt happen mainly coz i want alonso at the club.

Tusky wrote: »
    17.5 + Finnan! Holy crap. Is Finnan only thought to be worth 500,000 ?

IN
    Keane £19m
    Barry £17,5m
    Dossena £7m
    Degen Free
    Cavalieri £3m
    Ngog £1,5m
    Saric £0,9m
    £49m

Hmmm - Dont want to be negative but thats pretty much 50m. Could it have been spent more wisely ? Only time will tell I suppose.

Villa - 25
    Silva - 17
    Cavalieri - 3
    Dossena - 7
    Degen - free

Total : 52

Hmmmm. Also, Van Der Vaart has signed for Real for 7 million pounds. A 3rd of the price of Barry. Just goes to show how inflated this price is.

havent seen it reported anywhere else but once one was to take place I cant imagine a better transfer for Villa. Would expect thats Liverpools spending done.

What happened to Rafa yesterday saying he had to sell to buy? Alonso is still there too

Is there any of this on the other Liverpool forums from people in the know?? Elisha Scott etc

• Advertisement

havent seen it reported anywhere else but once one was to take place I cant imagine a better transfer for Villa. Would expect thats Liverpools spending done.

What happened to Rafa yesterday saying he had to sell to buy? Alonso is still there too

He has sold, in fairness.

OUT
    Crouch £11m
    Riise £4m
    Carson £4m
    Guthrie £2,5m
    Itandje £2m
    Finnan £1.5m

24.5m

I would still expect Pennant to be sold. Will be strange going into next season with both Alonso & Barry...Dont see how that can work.

He has sold, in fairness.

OUT
    Crouch £11m
    Riise £4m
    Carson £4m
    Guthrie £2,5m
    Itandje £2m
    Finnan £1.5m

24.5m

not since yesterday when he said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

That's what makes me somewhat doubtful of this. Also the entire squad is over in Spain atm and I'd imagine Parry & co. have traveled for the formalities, etc.. so I'd be kinda surprised to see transfer dealings done atm. Sure it doesn't take long to send a fax and it could even have been done yesterday before they all hoped onto the plane but I'd just a bit doubtful as to how true that story is. Wouldn't be the first time the press have told us that deal was done iirc.

EDIT: Also - didn't Villa want 18m for him ? Why would we then offer 19m ?

not since yesterday when he said it

Finnan is included in the deal and I expect Pennant to go to Blackburn in the next week.

Villa - 25
    Silva - 17
    Cavalieri - 3
    Dossena - 7
    Degen - free

Total : 52

Hmmmm. Also, Van Der Vaart has signed for Real for 7 million pounds. A 3rd of the price of Barry. Just goes to show how inflated this price is.

Be realistic man.

Villa £30-£35,000,000
    Silva £20,000,000

Even if it's only £50,000,000 for the pair.

Keane = £20,000,000
    Barry = £19,000,000

Leaves £11,000,000 in the difference!

Be realistic man.

Villa £30-£35,000,000
    Silva £20,000,000

I honestly dont think they would cost that much.

• Advertisement

The thing about quoting Villa or Silva, how long would it take them to settle in the Prem. By buying Keane and persuing Barry shows that Rafa is prioritising the league by buying Premier League players in their prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Maybe the americans helped out?

This is a lot of money in a short space of time. For a team that supposedly had none?!?
    Benitez seems to know what he's doing here though, experienced premiership players. No time to settle, no time to bulk up...

I think he's doing the right thing.

I honestly dont think they would cost that much.

Well Valencia do!;)

Remember when Rafa first mentioned Keane?
    He was asked about Villa and said that he was on the list, but the funds weren't there, so they moved to Keane.
    I highly doubt it was £5,000,000.

Just my oppinion though.

monkey9 wrote: »
    The thing about quoting Villa or Silva, how long would it take them to settle in the Prem. By buying Keane and persuing Barry shows that Rafa is prioritising the league by buying Premier League players in their prime

I suppose only time will tell. If it doesnt work out, this could be the end of Rafa.

Keane is 28 and Barry is 27. They will both have very little resale value. If it works out, fantastic, if it doesnt, its a very expensive error.

Its very rare for example, to see Ferguson spend 20m on players in their late 20s. Its a risky move. I just think for 40m we could possibly have gotten better, younger, players.

The advantage is that they should both settle in straight away. We shall have to wait and see I guess.

Still no sign of a wide player either...

Would you rather have -

Keane
    Alonso
    Barry

or

Villa
    15m winger
    Alonso

?

Robbie Keane can help push Liverpool FC to title - Ian Callaghan
    Jul 30 2008 by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL legend Ian Callaghan insists new signing Robbie Keane has got what it takes to join the list of great number sevens in the club's history.

The Reds' record appearance holder was delighted by the capture of the striker in a £20million deal from Tottenham.

It was Callaghan's exploits for the Reds which helped to make the number seven shirt so iconic.

Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Peter Beardsley followed in his footsteps and now the 66-year-old is relishing the chance to see Keane in action.

Callaghan believes the Irishman's partnership with Fernando Torres can provide the firepower to ensure the Reds finally maintain a challenge for the Premier League title.

"Robbie Keane has been a great player at the top level for many years," he said.

"He's proven and you know what you are going to get with him.

"I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays with Torres but I think they will complement each other very well.

"He's a goal scorer and that's important because Torres can't play every game. Keane can be the person to play alongside Torres but Rafa Benitez knows he can also lead the line when Torres isn't selected.

"He cost a lot of money but he has that experience and obviously Rafa wanted someone who is already established to come straight into the team who he knows he can count on

"You can't always be building for the future and Liverpool needed someone for next season, not a youngster who would need a few years to bed in.

"With Keane on board you would like to think they will have a great chance of winning the Premier League next season.

"That's what we all want and signing someone like Keane certainly makes that more likely."

When he was unveiled as a Liverpool player yesterday Keane revealed his pride at being handed the famous number seven shirt.

Callaghan had the same feeling when he broke into the Reds' first team towards the end of the 1959/60 season.

He replaced Billy Liddell who he had idolised as a youngster.

"I got the number seven shirt from Billy who was one of the all-time greats to ever represent the club," Callaghan added.

"As a teenager I didn't really think about it too much but afterwards the fact that I had got the shirt off him meant a great deal to me.

"It was awesome to follow someone like Billy.

"I wore the number seven shirt for a decade – from when I made my debut in 1960 right up to 1970 when I damaged my knee and had my cartilage out.

"I couldn't get back in the team for a little spell and in the end I got back in as a central midfielder which meant I took over from John McLaughlin as the number 11.

"Obviously after me greats like Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish wore that number seven shirt.

"Now Robbie Keane has it and I believe he's definitely worthy of that shirt."

Callaghan, who scored 69 goals for the Reds in a remarkable 856 appearances, is also hoping that Benitez can muster the funds to finally secure the signing of Gareth Barry from Aston Villa before the new campaign gets underway.

"It's been a saga that has gone on all summer and I think people are getting a bit fed up with it now," he said.

"I think Barry is very good. Left sided players are at a premium these days and he would improve the squad.

"If the manager can start the season with both Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry on board he will have really strengthened two areas of his team."

Pearce?!
    TB in Spain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd take Keane over Villa imo for Liverpool. Silva I don't really know enough about.

The point is though, Barry is a replacement for Alonso surely. If not, then this summers transfers have been stupid. If Barry is just about to be sorted, Alonso imo will be sold, and then the search will continue for another attacking midfielder.

PHB wrote: »
    I'd take Keane over Villa imo for Liverpool. Silva I don't really know enough about.

The point is though, Barry is a replacement for Alonso surely. If not, then this summers transfers have been stupid. If Barry is just about to be sorted, Alonso imo will be sold, and then the search will continue for another attacking midfielder.

Juventus have pulled out of the Alonso deal and I havent heard of anyone else interested. Rafa also came out and said that Barry deal wasnt dependant on Alonso sale.

I agree though, would be really stupid to start season with them both.

PHB wrote: »

I agree.
    Keane doesn't have Villas potential, but I want results now, not results in two years with a good sell on value!
    I see Xabi going to Atletico.
    Their interest is well noted, and He would do really well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

http://www.expressandstar.com/2008/07/30/villa-deny-fresh-barry-reports/

Barry deal denied by villa apparently thenk god!

and some people actually thought the americans helped the club out!!!:D

Juventus have pulled out of the Alonso deal and I havent heard of anyone else interested. Rafa also came out and said that Barry deal wasnt dependant on Alonso sale.

I agree though, would be really stupid to start season with them both.
    Atletico Madrid to step in for Liverpool's Xabi
    tribalfooball.com - July 15, 2008

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is determined to find a buyer for Xabi Alonso.

Juventus have dropped interest in Xabi over Liverpool's asking price, but Benitez needs the midfielder's sale to raise much-needed transfer funds, says the Liverpool Echo.

Atletico Madrid are keeping tabs on the situation, with coach Javier Aguirre admitting they're short of a playmaker in midfield.

There are other reports, but they're from sites that are banned at work, and I can't be arsed bypassing the blocker.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

what sites? i've free reign in work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

calm the jets, Villa have denied any deal being agreed.

FRESH talks are under way between Liverpool and Aston Villa to thrash out Gareth Barry’s proposed move to Anfield, the Echo understands.

Rafa Benitez has lined up England international Barry as one of the key summer targets to strengthen his squad in a bid to launch a strong Premier League title challenge in the forthcoming season.

The Midlands club have already rejected several bids by the Reds to prise their captain from Villa Park.

The Echo also understands, however, that reports that a deal has been completed are premature.

from the Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/breaking-news/2008/07/30/liverpool-fc-in-fresh-talks-over-gareth-barry-100252-21435805/

Gotta say, Robbie hasn't done too badly for a guy who looks like he should be selling carpet from the back of a Hiace van!!!

737B9644-B908-5CB4-A61A17305EF4416C.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's all about the benjamins.

I agree.
    Keane doesn't have Villas potential, but I want results now, not results in two years with a good sell on value!

+1

While Villa/Silva would be great to have at the club, we have no idea how they would adapt to the English game. They could take to the EPL as quickly as Torres, or could take a while longer, like the likes of Adebayor.

With Keane & Barry we have proven premier league players. And they aren't that old. Each still has at least three years at the highest level. And thats being conservative. Look at the like of Hyypia, Makelele (sp?) etc. While in diminished roles, they are still valuable players.

On the resale value point, you look at the volume of young player coming in to the club for small money. We have quite a few superstars in the making in the reserves/youth team. If they make the leap forward that many of us are hoping they will, we'll be in a strong financial position in a few years. We'll have enough young talent coming through that we won't have to spend 50-60million every summer on 5-6 players. Just perhaps 1 or two big names (like Villa & Silva) to add to the younger players coming through. A lot of the younger players won't quite make the leap to the first team, but will give us considerable revenue through sale. Considering that, I don't see it being a major issue if we don't recoup a large part of Barry & Keanes value through their resale. I think if they do prove the difference for us in mounting a challenge this year, it will money well spend.

Villa is only a few months younger than Barry and just over a year younger than Keane as well, the way people go on here you'd swear he is 19! he turns 27 in december

Liverpool FC in fresh talks over Gareth Barry

Jul 30 2008 Liverpool Echo

FRESH talks are under way between Liverpool and Aston Villa to thrash out Gareth Barry’s proposed move to Anfield, the Echo understands.

Rafa Benitez has lined up England international Barry as one of the key summer targets to strengthen his squad in a bid to launch a strong Premier League title challenge in the forthcoming season.

The Midlands club have already rejected several bids by the Reds to prise their captain from Villa Park.

The Echo also understands, however, that reports that a deal has been completed are premature.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/breaking-news/2008/07/30/liverpool-fc-in-fresh-talks-over-gareth-barry-100252-21435805/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

according to the daily mail via f365 we have agreed 17.5m + finnan which values him at 19m.....thats more than MON was asking for so it must be BS

Can someone tell me what time and channel the game is on 2nit please?

post 1039 Tusky, not as sharp as you used to be ;)

Dardoz: Sky Sports 1 8.30 afaik

Mr Alan wrote: »
    post 1039 Tusky, not as sharp as you used to be ;)

Dardoz: Sky Sports 1 8.30 afaik

I'm getting old!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Villa is only a few months younger than Barry and just over a year younger than Keane as well, the way people go on here you'd swear he is 19! he turns 27 in december

Thanks Mr Alan. I didn't realise Villa was that "old".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I'm getting old!

you must have just turned 28 then! no!

i'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

dardoz wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what time and channel the game is on 2nit please?

For the poor sods[myself included] that don't have Sky, anyone know of it being shown online?
    I'm waiting for links to be updated on rojadirecta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement