Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

yom 1 wrote: »
    you must have just turned 28 then! no!

i'll get my coat

If they are both with Liverpool for 3 years they will be 30 & 31 respectively. That is old in football terms. We have just seen a 30 year old Deco sold for 8m. How much will a 30 year old Gareth Barry or a 31 year old Keane be worth ?

It IS a lot of money for players of that age. If they help Liverpool win trophy's then its worth it, but if not, theres no plan B.

If Torres didnt work out the majority of the money could have been recouped. That isnt the case with Barry & Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tusky wrote: »
    That isnt the case with Barry & Keane.

or Villa-who would cost about 30million and has never played in the PL

Mr Alan wrote: »
    or Villa-who would cost about 30million and has never played in the PL

Yes, but I think theres a notable difference in quality between Villa & Keane. Villa is in the top 5 strikers on the planet in my opinion. Also, Villa would have a much higher resale value than Keane and is 1 & 1/2 years younger.

Its not so much the signing of Keane that I'm worried about, its the combined signing of Keane & Barry considering their age and the combined cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

If they are both with Liverpool for 3 years they will be 30 & 31 respectively. That is old in football terms. We have just seen a 30 year old Deco sold for 8m. How much will a 30 year old Gareth Barry or a 31 year old Keane be worth ?

It IS a lot of money for players of that age. If they help Liverpool win trophy's then its worth it, but if not, theres no plan B.

If Torres didnt work out the majority of the money could have been recouped. That isnt the case with Barry & Keane.

by the time they are 30/31 then the youngsters will be ready to become first choice - it is really a perfect set up for them. if we go out and buy Silva and Villa it really limits the options for Nemeth, Pacheco, etc for the next 5 -8 years rather than the next 3.

imho rafa is stalking a lot on the youngsters and, from what i have seen and heard of them, with good reason...

by the time they are 30/31 then the youngsters will be ready to become first choice - it is really a perfect set up for them. if we go out and buy Silva and Villa it really limits the options for Nemeth, Pacheco, etc for the next 5 -8 years rather than the next 3.

imho rafa is stalking a lot on the youngsters and, from what i have seen and heard of them, with good reason...

pft, theres no guarantee that the youngsters will be good enough to be 3rd or 4th choice in the first team never mind 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

look they are both good purchases both hitting their peak we did someone to deliver now we don't need a ****ing resale value tusky - we need quality on the pitch here and now. END.

people moan when we sign unproven players, people moan when we sign a rake of 5-7m pound players instead of genuine class players, people moan when we sign proven class premierleague players for big money?!

wat the **** can Rafa do?!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

people moan when we sign unproven players, people moan when we sign a rake of 5-7m pound players instead of genuine class players, people moan when we sign proven class premierleague players for big money?!

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

+1

mayordenis wrote: »
    look they are both good purchases both hitting their peak we did someone to deliver now we don't need a ****ing resale value tusky - we need quality on the pitch here and now. END.

End ? You don't get to end the discussion just because you dont agree with me. I'm not saying they are bad buys, Im just saying that its a bit risky.

And dont be silly, maybe fans dont think about things like resale value but managers certainly do. If in 3 or 4 years, Liverpool havent progressed and Keane/Barry get sold on for 1/4 of what they were bought for, these transfers will look like bad business. Thats all I'm saying.

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra---Skrtel---Dossena

Masch

Babel
    Gerrard
    Barry

Keane---Torres

Wonder if we will see something like this. It would allow Keane & Torres to play together while keeping Gerrard in the middle. Barry would be able to drop back alongside Masch when Gerrard got forward. Theres certainly a lot of goals in the team.

How am I moaning ? I'm delighted we signed Keane and cant wait to see him play. I'm just pointing out a possible negative to the combined transfers. Hardly moaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Yes, but I think theres a notable difference in quality between Villa & Keane. Villa is in the top 5 strikers on the planet in my opinion. Also, Villa would have a much higher resale value than Keane and is 1 & 1/2 years younger.

Its not so much the signing of Keane that I'm worried about, its the combined signing of Keane & Barry considering their age and the combined cost.

I understand your concerns Tusky. TBH only time will tell whether they will work out or not. By spending big money on Keane & Barry Rafa is trying to negate some of the risk in bringing in big money signings. He sees both as proven EPL players who have a lot of experience and maturity. He has opted for this over players like Villa/Silva who have massive ability & skill but are unproven in the EPL.

Whether Rafa is right or not, we'll know in about 10 months. We may come back with two flops (Keane & Barry) and ask why didn't Rafa go for class players like Villa & Silva, in which case you can come back and dig out some of the posts from today and say "I told ye so":p.

But for the time being....

In Rafa We Trust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ok, my new wishful thinking plan.

Sell;
    Alonso 15
    Pennant 6
    Finnan 2
    Itandje 2
    Voronin 4
    Total 29m

Buy;
    Barry 18
    Silva 18
    Total 36m

That assumes we have 7mill in the coffers

Alternatively;

Sell;
    Finnan 2
    Itandje 2
    Voronin 4
    Pennant 6
    Total 14

Buy;
    Silva 18(ish)

Either option would leave us with a very strong first team;
    Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Dossena
    Masch--Baronso
    --Keane--Gerrard--Silva
    Torres

with a very strong bench
    skrtel
    Aurelio
    Degen
    Lucas
    Yossi
    Kuyt
    Babel
    Ngog

How am I moaning ? I'm delighted we signed Keane and cant wait to see him play. I'm just pointing out a possible negative to the combined transfers. Hardly moaning.

didnt mean to single out you mate, just a little tiresome, Rafa is doing well in the market this summer, there can be negatives to any transfer-thats goes without saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Reina

Arbeloa--Carra---Skrtel---Dossena

Masch

Babel
    Gerrard
    Barry

Keane---Torres

What about Agger??? He would get his game ahead of Skrtel

Totally agree with Mr Alan here, we need good players now, people were giving out when he bought young lads, average players, he is now buying players in there prime. If will win the league next season keane and barry will have payed for themselves. End of

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ok, my new wishful thinking plan.

Sell;
    Alonso 15
    Pennant 6
    Finnan 2
    Itandje 2
    Voronin 4
    Total 29m

Buy;
    Barry 18
    Silva 18
    Total 36m

That assumes we have 7mill in the coffers

Alternatively;

Sell;
    Finnan 2
    Itandje 2
    Voronin 4
    Pennant 6
    Total 14

Buy;
    Silva 18(ish)

Either option would leave us with a very strong first team;
    Arbeloa--Carra--Agger--Dossena
    Masch--Baronso
    --Keane--Gerrard--Silva
    Torres

with a very strong bench
    skrtel
    Aurelio
    Degen
    Lucas
    Yossi
    Kuyt
    Babel
    Ngog

That would be fantastic. It doesnt even have to be Silva, just some quality in the wide areas.
    rosboy wrote: »
    I understand your concerns Tusky. TBH only time will tell whether they will work out or not. By spending big money on Keane & Barry Rafa is trying to negate some of the risk in bringing in big money signings. He sees both as proven EPL players who have a lot of experience and maturity. He has opted for this over players like Villa/Silva who have massive ability & skill but are unproven in the EPL.

Whether Rafa is right or not, we'll know in about 10 months. We may come back with two flops (Keane & Barry) and ask why didn't Rafa go for class players like Villa & Silva, in which case you can come back and dig out some of the posts from today and say "I told ye so":p.

But for the time being....

In Rafa We Trust!

I dont think the question is ; Will do they be a flop ?

The question is ; Will they improve the team ENOUGH? I dont think either of them will be flops...but will they have a big enough impact ? Youre right, only time will tell.
    didnt mean to single out you mate, just a little tiresome, Rafa is doing well in the market this summer, there can be negatives to any transfer-thats goes without saying.

Cool beans.
    AdrianII wrote: »
    What about Agger??? He would get his game ahead of Skrtel

Totally agree with Mr Alan here, we need good players now, people were giving out when he bought young lads, average players, he is now buying players in there prime. If will win the league next season keane and barry will have payed for themselves. End of

Nobody is disputing that if we win the league the transfers would be good business, of course they would!

In regards to Agger - hes been out for a year. It will depend how well he settles back in. I was very very impressed with Skrtel last year. He will be difficult to dislodge.

If in 3 or 4 years, Liverpool havent progressed and Keane/Barry get sold on for 1/4 of what they were bought for, these transfers will look like bad business. Thats all I'm saying.

There is a greater chance of Keane and Barry doing better than Villa and Silva.
    Granted I dont think Barry is worth what is being asked but if Gerrard and Rafa seem to think he's right for the team....

Rafa seems to be looking at the way utd won the league but also adapting his own style.

I'm actually quietly positive about the way he's going about things.

me thinks Agger and Skrtel will be our number one partnership for a number of games next year.

I dont think the question is ; Will do they be a flop ?

The question is ; Will they improve the team ENOUGH? I dont think either of them will be flops...but will they have a big enough impact ? Youre right, only time will tell.

Sorry, flops was the wrong word. I meant what you said above about "improving the team enough", rather than flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That would be fantastic. It doesnt even have to be Silva, just some quality in the wide areas.

True, in fact I'd avsolutely love Luis Suarez who could be gotten for just the other guys sale costs, without needing extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

monkey9 wrote: »
    The thing about quoting Villa or Silva, how long would it take them to settle in the Prem. By buying Keane and persuing Barry shows that Rafa is prioritising the league by buying Premier League players in their prime

This is the most important point in all this discussion about Villa and Silva..

In my opinion, Rafa is really planning to make a real push for the PL this season.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    True, in fact I'd avsolutely love Luis Suarez who could be gotten for just the other guys sale costs, without needing extra.

Suarez won't be cheap. There were reports a few weeks ago of Liverpool having bid about 20m (not sure if its € or £) for him. I can't find any proper link, except this one from some Ajax paper (its in Dutch before you try and read it though;)).

http://ajaxtoday.nl/nieuws/1057?PHPSESSID=4iennv0s8jhn09u26fuv6k44d7

rosboy wrote: »
    Suarez won't be cheap. There were reports a few weeks ago of Liverpool having bid about 20m (not sure if its € or £) for him. I can't find any proper link, except this one from some Ajax paper (its in Dutch before you try and read it though;)).

http://ajaxtoday.nl/nieuws/1057?PHPSESSID=4iennv0s8jhn09u26fuv6k44d7

Translated :cool: (bablefish...grammer is weird though)

Liverpool offer 20 millions for delouse Suárez
    Published on 2008-07-05 22:14: 17 Jeronimo
    EXCLUDING - the redactie of AjaxToday.nl has learned reliable source that Liverpool have done an offer of for and close the 20 millions on Ajax-aanvaller delouse Suárez. The Reds see the ideal attacking strengthening for next season in Uruguayaans the international. Suárez will not have indicated themselves however to United Kingdom relocate to want. Because of this a passage to Liverpool seems rather improbable.

Moreover the same source communicates that the arrival of the Brazilian proponent Henrique to Ajax nearly around is. Kersverse purchase of FC Barcelona is rented for one season by the Amsterdammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Translated :cool: (bablefish...grammer is weird though)

Liverpool offer 20 millions for delouse Suárez
    Published on 2008-07-05 22:14: 17 Jeronimo
    EXCLUDING - the redactie of AjaxToday.nl has learned reliable source that Liverpool have done an offer of for and close the 20 millions on Ajax-aanvaller delouse Suárez. The Reds see the ideal attacking strengthening for next season in Uruguayaans the international. Suárez will not have indicated themselves however to United Kingdom relocate to want. Because of this a passage to Liverpool seems rather improbable.

Moreover the same source communicates that the arrival of the Brazilian proponent Henrique to Ajax nearly around is. Kersverse purchase of FC Barcelona is rented for one season by the Amsterdammers.

Ha Ha!! What the hell was that about!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ha Ha!! What the hell was that about!!!

heh heh. its great isn't it.

I just can't fathom how you can consider keane and barry a rick, compared to palyers from different leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Now it appears Barry is staying with Villa. From here:
    Aston Villa have announced that Liverpool transfer target Gareth Barry will be staying with them.
    Reports earlier on Wednesday had suggested Villa and Liverpool were close to agreeing a deal to take the England international to Anfield.
    But the summer-long saga appears to finally have been brought to a close by a statement on Villa's official website at around 5pm BST.
    It read: "This evening, Aston Villa can announce that Gareth Barry will be staying with the club following the interest from Liverpool over recent months.
    "During discussions in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to. This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa."
    Earlier this week Rafa Benitez confirmed that he still wanted to sign Barry despite splashing out £18million on Tottenham striker Robbie Keane.
    But he admitted he would have to sell players in order to fund a deal for the England midfielder.
    It appears he couldn't manage to do that in time to meet Villa's deadline.

Smells like complete BS.

in fairness, were Villa to announce to the world that Barry was staying and then sell him, that would be quite embarrasing for them.

i think thats it finished now.

Silva please Rafa!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~1354618,00.html

"This evening, Aston Villa can announce that Gareth Barry will be staying with the club following the interest from Liverpool over recent months.

During discussions in the past few days, a final deadline to conclude this episode was set that all parties were aware of and agreed to. This deadline has now passed and so Gareth will remain with Villa."

Official.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

guys according to entertainment.ie the match kicks off at 8.30.... didnt someone just tell me 6?

edit my mistake... someone said 8.30 and i somehow read 18.30

<-- dumbass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good, now I hear there is a match on tonight.....

Mike.

yea, for some reason i'm really looking forward to it too, despite the rest of the preseasons not being much bothered about

decent opposition i suppose, plus Nemeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Ngog, Nemeth and Keane all to score on their debuts tonight please.:D

On the rumoured sale front, given the Barry deal is now off the table, I wonder if we will see any interest in Finnan from any other clubs?

After Itandje, I think Finann and Pennant are the most likely movers. Could see us hanging onto Steve though with Degen injured and Arbeloa's injury record. Keane's ability to play on the right probably mean less playing time this season for Pennant this season. If he moved to Blackburn he'd probably be an automatic starter every week.

I don't see Benayoun being sold and especially not for £6m.:mad: Maybe at double that.

Given we've signed two strikers for the first-team squad (along with the sale of one), a move for Voronin seems more of a possibility, but I think he is likely to still be here once the transfer window closes.

£2m for Itandje and £6m for Pennant and according to my calculations that takes the net spend this summer to the negative side of zero:eek:

Come on you yanks - open your wallets - one decent left-sided attacker is all we want.

If Villa bid for Finnan,i expect at least 6 million ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If Villa bid for Finnan,i expect at least 6 million ;)

hows about we take Voronin off your hands in exchange for him

• Advertisement

I dont hate Voronin as much as most here, his goals per min ration for us is better than average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

hows about we take Voronin off your hands in exchange for him

£12,000,000 it is then!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

anyone know if the match is on tv tonight?

mru wrote: »
    anyone know if the match is on tv tonight?

sky sports 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Sky Sports 1 from 8.25.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Skysports are showing it apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

It's on the e-season for people outside of the UK. Will that include us?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

nice one -ta lads. feel a little lazy, all i had to do was pick browse thru digital :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

me thinks Agger and Skrtel will be our number one partnership for a number of games next year.

.....and for a number of years after that. Its the beginning of the end for the legend that is Carra.

That Villa statement borders on embarrassing. Means nothing, other than the teams have not yet agreed on a fee. The saga won't be over until Barry signs a new contract for either Villa or Liverpool, or 31st August comes.

I don't think Keane is invovled tonight. Otherwise I think the headline on LFC.tv would not be "Nemeth in line for debut"

.....and for a number of years after that. Its the beginning of the end for the legend that is Carra.

That Villa statement borders on embarrassing. Means nothing, other than the teams have not yet agreed on a fee. The saga won't be over until Barry signs a new contract for either Villa or Liverpool, or 31st August comes.

I don't think Keane is invovled tonight. Otherwise I think the headline on LFC.tv would not be "Nemeth in line for debut"

WATCH OR LISTEN TO KEANE'S DEBUT LIVE ONLINE
    With new signing Robbie Keane in line to make his Liverpool debut at Villarreal this evening, make sure you don't miss any of the action from our latest pre-season game by tuning into our live coverage online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yeah Rooster, pity. Perhaps EggNog won't be on too.

Looking forward to this, don't know why though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Yeah Rooster, pity. Perhaps EggNog won't be on too.

Looking forward to this, don't know why though.

Wrong!

Team named:

Diego
    Darby – Hyypia – Skrtel – Dossena
    Benayoun – Plessis – Gerrard - Ngog
    Voronin - Keane

(just a guess at the formation)

Subs include:
    Alonso, Pennant, Torres, Kuyt, Arbeloa, Carragher, Reina

formation like this?
    Diego
    Darby--Skrtel--Hyypia--Dossena
    –Gerrard - Plessis –
    Benayoun
    Keane
    Voronin--
    Ngog

or swap Ngog and Voronin

Diego

Darby--Hyypia--Skrtel--Dossena

Plessis

Voronin----Gerrard----Benayoun

Keane--Ngog

or

Diego

Darby--Hyypia--Skrtel--Dossena

Plessis--Gerrard

Voronin----Keane----Benayoun

Ngog

Would be my guesses.

The subs bench will probably be the team for the second half.

Steve Finnan
    Daniel Agger
    Fernando Torres
    Xabi Alonso
    Jermaine Pennant
    Alvaro Arbeloa
    Dirk Kuyt
    Daniel Pacheco
    Krisztian Nemeth
    Jay Spearing
    Emiliano Insua
    Jamie Carragher