Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Deal was apparently agreed yesterday for Barry and then Villa went and changed the payment structure at the 11th hour
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/07/31/liverpool-fc-won-t-give-up-on-gareth-barry-deal-100252-21440847/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think Alonso will be sold but maybe rafa is worried about the effect of the olympics on the team.

And Barry can play on the left.

If Alonso is sold after Barry is signed, I'd imagine it would be a case of a knock-down fee and for sure less than Juve's last bid. So Boo. Also there just doesn't seem to be much interest in him. For a player who has been rumoured to be on the move for a number of weeks now there has been very little in the way of press links.

I don't want to see Barry on the left - he can play there but only in emergencies please i.e Babel at the Olympics - he is a left-sided CM and if bought I would expect him to play 90% of the time there. I want a proper left-sided attacker not a fill-in stop-gap. Ask the Villa fans where they think Barry should play. In terms of competion for places for the first team, I would imagine it being a case of Barry versus Xabi versus Lucas competing for one place alongside Mascherano/Plessis in the centre of the park, with Gerrard in front of them. I can't imagine very many gaes when two of Lucas, Xabi and Barry would feature on the pitch. I want one of Xabi or Barry with Lucas as understudy - that makes sense. I'm being to lean towards the opinion that if Rafa was so concerned about the Olympics he would have signed a left-sided attacker by now. I can possibily see him being ok with the options in the squad as cover for the Olympics i.e Benayoun/Insua/Voronin on the left :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

In terms of competion for places for the first team, I would imagine it being a case of Barry versus Xabi versus Lucas competing for one place alongside Mascherano/Plessis in the centre of the park, with Gerrard in front of them. I can't imagine very many gaes when two of Lucas, Xabi and Barry would feature on the pitch.

Lucas can also play in a Gerrard position as well though. Can't he?
    If Gerrard is injured will Barry fill that role?
    That would mean we have back up all over the midfield area.

Barry (AMF)covers Gerrard (when injured)
    Lucas (AMF)covers Gerrard (when injured)/Barry (when injured)
    Lucas (DMF) covers Alonso (when injured)/Barry (when AMF)
    Barry (DMF) covers Alonso (when injured)
    Plesis (DMF) covers Mash
    I'm being to lean towards the opinion that if Rafa was so concerned about the Olympics he would have signed a left-sided attacker by now.

Thats why I think he may hold onto Alonso unless an propper offer comes in (15-18m). Or if Alonso plays brilliantly for the first half get a better offer in the January window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Barry is signed, there's no doubt Alonso will be sold. I don't think you're going to get a proper offer (15-18). Liverpool fans look at Alonso and they remember him in his first season. Everyone else looks at him and they see him as they are now. Juve were interested but Liverpool wanted too much. Only other people who seem to be offering is Atletico? If Barry comes in, eveyrone knows Liverpool have to sell, he could go for as little as 12.

PHB wrote: »
    If Barry is signed, there's no doubt Alonso will be sold. I don't think you're going to get a proper offer (15-18). Liverpool fans look at Alonso and they remember him in his first season. Everyone else looks at him and they see him as they are now. Juve were interested but Liverpool wanted too much. Only other people who seem to be offering is Atletico? If Barry comes in, eveyrone knows Liverpool have to sell, he could go for as little as 12.

OK supposing we get offers of the following:

Pennant (sh!t) = 5m
    Alonso = 12m
    Arbeloa = 6m

We are covering our spending.

BUT if we wait and Alonso has a stormer we would sell and make a profit in January.
    I can't imagine Villa are looking for the 18m up front.

Could a deal be arranged so that if/when Alonso is sold in January the rest of Barry's price could then be paid?

Then again if they couldn't agree on the simple way...

BUT if we wait

Banks don't wait :) Interest builds up. The money may not be there to wait. You may have to sell. Also Arbeloa isn't for sale according to Rafa, especially if Finnan is going as part of the deal to Villa.
    I can't imagine Villa are looking for the 18m up front.

Why? They want to screw you over remember :) They want this deal to hurt you.

Banks don't wait :) Interest builds up. The money may not be there to wait. You may have to sell. Also Arbeloa isn't for sale according to Rafa, especially if Finnan is going as part of the deal to Villa.

Why? They want to screw you over remember :) They want this deal to hurt you.

But aren't these deals spread out over a space of time. I read today (Irish Mail)that Arsenal are getting 6.5m of the 15m for Bentley as a sell on deal.

There is all this small print (performance based, depending on whats won etc) For large sums of money, it generally doesn't go all at once. But the situation is not in liverpools favour.

The Arbeloa thing is a difficult on as its personal issue (the wife etc) and Rafa's handling of those isn't the best. See Alonso going home for the birth of his kids etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep Alonso!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

is the premierleague payment scheme mean that half up front and the rest in installments or over a certain time frame.Thought i read that somewhere

But aren't these deals spread out over a space of time. I read today (Irish Mail)that Arsenal are getting 6.5m of the 15m for Bentley as a sell on deal.

There is all this small print (performance based, depending on whats won etc) For large sums of money, it generally doesn't go all at once. But the situation is not in liverpools favour.

Some deals are, some aren't. There is no set rule. Its up to the clubs. Levy said Keane was 19 million straight didn't he? Spurs wanted money to reinvest. I can't imagine Villa would make it easy for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

raven136 wrote: »
    is the premierleague payment scheme mean that half up front and the rest in installments or over a certain time frame.Thought i read that somewhere

Yea, like supposedly Utd only recently finished paying off Everton for Rooney :confused:

There is a lot of "supposedly" this and "i read somewhere" that, but its all true I swears it :)

Some deals are, some aren't. There is no set rule. Its up to the clubs.

This is the thing. If things hadn't gotten so fu*ked up something could have been arranged.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

But if, as a couple of people have sugggested. we hold onto alonso, and if he plays a stormer until january, why the hell would we want to sell him then? I hope this Barry thing goes away tbh, I don't think it is good business unless Alonso wants/needs to leave which does not appear to be the case.

5starpool wrote: »
    But if, as a couple of people have sugggested. we hold onto alonso, and if he plays a stormer until january, why the hell would we want to sell him then?

€€€€€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Draw for Champions League qualifying is tomorrow.

Atletico Madrid (Spain)
    FC Sheriff (Moldova) or Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
    Drogheda United (Ireland) or Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine)
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)
    Galatasaray (Turkey)
    Inter Baki (Azerbaijan) or FK Partizan (Serbia)
    Vitoria SC (Portugal)
    NK Domzale (Slovenia) or Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)
    Beitar Jerusalem (Israel) or Wisla Krakow (Poland)
    Standard Liege (Belgium)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)
    Tampere United (Finland) or Artmedia Petrzalka (Slovakia)
    Aalborg (Denmark) or FC Modrica (Bosnia)
    SK Brann (Norway) or FK Ventspils (Latvia)
    Anorthosis Famagusta (Cyprus) or Rapid Vienna (Austria)

Anybody but Atletico and you'll breeze through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tusky wrote: »

Atletico Madrid (Spain)
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Galatasaray (Turkey)
    Vitoria SC (Portugal)
    Standard Liege (Belgium)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)

I hope we dont draw Athletico. A few spicy ones in there. Hopefully it'll be one of the last 4 pairings.

Bet we get one of Gala/Slavia Prague/Atletico Madrid/Dynamo Kiev hopefully it'll be Drogheda United

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

mike65 wrote: »
    Bet we get one of Gala/Slavia Prague/Atletico Madrid/Dynamo Kiev hopefully it'll be Drogheda United

Mike.

My thoughts exactly. I'd love it to be Drogheda !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anybody but Atletico Madrid and Galatasaray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Anybody but Atletico and you'll breeze through.

That would be a nightmare alright!

Although Nando could go say hi, and we'd get to see little Luis aswell!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Is it an open draw lads? I think the earlier rounds were seeded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I pity alonso through out this whole saga :(

Hopefully Drogheda perform some miracle and make it through. Then we get them and we get to see the pool on the cheap :D

Oh need to wake up, posted list are the unseeded teams :o

Can just see it Galatasaray and Harry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

nah - he only plays in the finals

zing wrote: »
    nah - he only plays in the finals

You mean for half of the finals!;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ryan_Babel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

FC Twente or Standard Liege would be a perfect draw for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

draw when?

mayordenis wrote: »
    draw when?

Tomorrow around 11-12.

interesting live online - I live in a TV free household :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

mayordenis wrote: »
    interesting live online - I live in a TV free household :'(

I would guess www.uefa.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tusky wrote: »

Atletico Madrid (Spain)
    Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Galatasaray (Turkey)
    Vitoria SC (Portugal)
    Standard Liege (Belgium)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)

No Fenerbaché? They are 2-0 up on some hungarian side. Wouldn't want to meet them either, they looked impressive last year.

Oh my ****ing god

http://kineticnorth.com/BBCNews/?NewsGUID=48945d06-de60-4b2d-8956-985e782b41ab

think its complete bull**** - thank christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Merseyside groundshare back on.

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have sensationally admitted for the first time that a groundshare with fierce local rivals Everton is at an advanced stage.

In a joint statement issued to the press, the pair, who trade under the Kop Holdings Ltd banner confirmed that "Talks with Everton to share a stadium that would benefit not just both clubs immensely, but the city as a whole, something we are keen to help."

Everton chief Bill Kenwright admitted that the groundshare move looked "the best bet", and would only smile and add "no comment" when asked whether the proposed ground had been given the green light by council chiefs, and whether the ground would be built in the Stanley Park area designated to Liverpool's new stadium.
    That won't happen, there's not enough in it for Liverpool (the club). Everton have far more to gain from a ground share.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo Tesco won't be home to a Marks and Spencer club!

Mike.

aye that site is like a site bull****ing thing not actually bbc :P

:pac:

edit - Just seen on the grapevine that Paul Ince has made a firm offer for Pennant of 5 million, personal terms were not to his liking though and Rovers will try again tomorrow.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

:pac:

edit - Just seen on the grapevine that Paul Ince has made a firm offer for Pennant of 5 million, personal terms were not to his liking though and Rovers will try again tomorrow.

Mike

Gotta say i hope it's not true.I actually like pennent and think he has something to offer for the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

5 mill makeweight in a bentley deal would not be too bad :)

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Gotta say i hope it's not true.I actually like pennent and think he has something to offer for the team

Right you, outside!! Pennant is a disgrace to that jersey.

Worst.Player.Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

5 mill makeweight in a bentley deal would not be too bad :)

Ammm, Bentley is employed by Spurs now! ;)

Earth calling Thanx 4 The Fish

Bentley signed for Spuds. Today.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Right you, outside!! Pennant is a disgrace to that jersey.

Worst.Player.Ever.

Ok.But worse than Voronin?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Earth calling Thanx 4 The Fish

Bentley signed for Spuds. Today.

Mike.

spurs are a joke - they're trying to sign arshavin now. how can they accomodate both modric and arshavin?

mru wrote: »
    spurs are a joke - they're trying to sign arshavin now. how can they accomodate both modric and arshavin?

Arshavin & Spurs threads thataway
    > :p

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Arshavin & Spurs threads thataway
    > :p

whoops! noob mistake by me :D

• Advertisement

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Ok.But worse than Voronin?

Did Voronin turn you down for a date maybe?
    You seem a bit obsessed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement