Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

I quite like his ponytail. Although he is pretty average. Thank god we don't need him anymore, unless we suffer a huge injury crisis *touches wood*

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Liverpool V Standard for the CL..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Keano to open his account shortly then :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Not a bad draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not a bad draw.

It should be a walk in the park for Liverpool.

I mean here are Liverpool fans saying they will be title-challengers this season, if they don't see this as a handy draw, then there are some double standards going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Liverpool to go through 5-0 on agg.

There hasn't been a decent side from Belgium in god knows how long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Yeah ideal draw for Liverpool, not a great team and not too far to travel.

should get through this with relative ease hopefully avoiding any injuries in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

tonc76 wrote: »
    Liverpool to go through 5-0 on agg.

There hasn't been a decent side from Belgium in god knows how long

Since Basle knocked us out!

Damn Belgians!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Damn Belgians!!!!!

Basel are Swiss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Damn Belgians!!!!!

Haha.. I have to presume you are being sarcastic ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Damn Belgians!!!!!

Basle in Switzerland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Basle/Baal is in Switzerland!

Anyway great draw, should be a good limb loosener with an edge. I hope its played for maximum impact Liverpool need to start this season on all fronts with a bang. A statement of intent.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Basle/Baal is in Switzerland!

Anyway great draw, should be a good limb loosener with an edge. I hope its played for maximum impact Liverpool need to start this season on all fronts with a bang. A statement of intent.

Mike.

/Basel

Hopefully Rafa puts out our strongest team. The formation of choice for this year needs to start getting some game time together. The past few preseason games have been little more than a training exercise. Now we need to start seeing some real preperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Des wrote: »
    It should be a walk in the park for Liverpool.

I mean here are Liverpool fans saying they will be title-challengers this season, if they don't see this as a handy draw, then there are some double standards going on.

If Liverpool fans came out and said it was a piss easy draw, there would be countless posts arguing with us.

Can't really win to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Easy, handy draw for us.

At least a 2-0 win away, and back to Anfield for a goal glut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Easy win. Ive been to liege, ****hole describes it perfectly. Shit team also applies.

Sorry, keep forgetting most of ye don't know me.

I hate the Belgians and blame them for everything!

Liverpool losing, global warming, Firefly getting cancelled - all the Belgians fault!

Damn Belgians!!!!!

F - sorry mate you'll have to repeat the year:pac:

tonc76 wrote: »
    F - sorry mate you'll have to repeat the year:pac:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

;)

From Guillem Balague's Website
    Juan Villalonga - the man recently installed as President of Valencia football club and then sacked a few days later – has told the Spanish news agency EFE that he has ‘momentarily withdrawn’ his bid to purchase the majority shareholding in the club. He has also revealed that, during his brief tenure at the club last week, he blocked the sale of David Villa to Real Madrid, and claims that “ the negotiations involving the transfer of David Silva to Roma, for €25 million, are at a very advanced stage.”

http://guillembalague.com/rumores_desp.php?id=42 (last paragraph)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Looks like Itandje turned down Galatasary becasue they wouldn't meet his wage demands.

I particullarly love the I am the solution to PSG's problems quote :rolleyes:

Come on fella, jog on.
    Reds keeper rejects move

Itandje set on PSG move after turning down Turks
    By Patrick Haond Last updated: 1st August 2008

Liverpool goalkeeper Charles Itandje has revealed he has turned down a move to Galatasaray and is holding out for a switch to Paris Saint Germain.

The Frenchman has been made available for transfer after just one season at Anfield.

The 25-year-old has failed to impress on Merseyside and Reds boss Rafa Benitez is willing to offload him having brought in Brazilian Diego Cavalieri earlier this summer.

Galatasaray agreed a fee with Liverpool for Itandje, but the former Lens custodian has rejected their overtures.

Itandje also claims three Premier League clubs are keen on signing him, but he is hoping to win a move to PSG.

"I refused to join Galatasaray, even if I was very close to leave, because the Champions League challenge was appealing," Itandje told France Football.

"We reached a very advanced stage during the talks, I even terminated my phone lines.

"But I have other interest in England. Three Premier League clubs are attracted.

"I explained to my coach I wanted to leave to get more first team opportunities. So the club has prepared my departure. We will see what will happens in August.

"I am the solution to PSG's trouble! Of course there is already a keeper there, but Paris is a club that attracts me a lot, as I was born in the Ile-de-France.

"Even when I played in north of France, I came to Parc des Princes to see matches. If something concrete will happen, we will see."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_3894881,00.html

I was bored as usual, and thinking of the Keane Fr Ted song.
    That seems to have taken off, so will make up for the defunct Crouch song obviously.

We've still lost two of our best songs however in the Harry"Daddy Cool"Kewel song (the song was the best thing about him!), and the John Arne Riise "Ohh Ahh" song.

They were clasics.
    What replacements are in the pipeline?

As cheesy as it sounds - and God is it cheesy - I was thinking about a song for Ngog.

It's fairly simple, like the Kewel song, as it's just his name.

Basically, it's just repeating his surname to the Mmmmbop song!

"Ngog...nnn...nnn...Ngog"

:P

(I'll get my coat!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Basically, it's just repeating his surname to the Mmmmbop song!

Oh your dead. Dead. Really dead.
    It'l take me aaages to get that out of my head.

Barça Starlet Iago In New Prem Links

Chelsea are getting closer to Barca Iago Falqué Silva, accoring to reports, but Liverpool are now set to usurp the Blues in the chase for the youngster...

Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen has long desired to bring Barcelona Atlétic - the Catalan giants' 'B' outfit - starlet Iago Falque to London.

The hotly-tipped 18-year-old, a left-winger, is also being followed by Liverpool scouts, according to Sport.

Arnesen failed to lure Iago to Stamford Bridge last summer, but Barca Atleti boss Luis Enrique will be more open to offers for the youngster in light of the fresh interest.

Enrique recently conceded that he may be forced to sell the prospect, who has been unsettled by the regular speculation linking him with england.

Iago said: "I still don't know anything or what is going to happen with my future. "I hope that by next week I'll have some news."
    Sources suggest that Iago has entered talks with interested parties this week and could be leaving Spain later this month. Arnesen has reportedly also persuaded new Blues boss Avram Grant on the attacking midfielder's vast potential.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=800619

I think there's a typo in the last paragraph with the reference to Avram Grant as Blues boss.

Think Liverpool could have a good chance of signing him if they really want him. Rafa's shown with Pacheco/Plessis/Insua that he's happy to give a good chance to young talent (as opposed to Chelsea who are more interested in signing big name established players).

Also the large Spanish contingent in Liverpool could prove to our advantage

On the song front, heard the following sample a while back and thought it could well be adapted for Fernando - esp given the original has number 9 in it.

Originally from The Choice is Your - Black Sheep in 1991 - Sampled all over the gaff

Relevant bit is around the 2:23 mark in the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwonG3iGaI

Engine, engine, Number 9,
    On the New York Transit Line,
    If my train goes off the track,
    Pick it up!
    Pick it up!
    Pick it up!

Also came accross this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MJ2vDzrsgk
    which lead me to think could work well on the terraces - Check out how well it works as a crowd chant - starts at the 40 sec mark. Video quality is a bit junk but you can probably see where i'm coming from.

So far my reworked lyrics have come to

Nando, nando, Number 9,
    Lead'ing Liverpool's front line,
    When the ball comes up from back,
    Stick it in,
    Stick it in,
    Stick it in.

Which I'll admit arent the Mae Weat but I do think there is a definite possibility there.

On the heavier side of things, some really interesting reading in the links on Rafa , the squad and stuff. A bit heavy and long but well worth the read.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=225239.0

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=224820.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

rosboy wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=800619

I think there's a typo in the last paragraph with the reference to Avram Grant as Blues boss.

Think Liverpool could have a good chance of signing him if they really want him. Rafa's shown with Pacheco/Plessis/Insua that he's happy to give a good chance to young talent (as opposed to Chelsea who are more interested in signing big name established players).

Also the large Spanish contingent in Liverpool could prove to our advantage

Obligatory YouTube vid. Complete with obligatory football compilation rubbish music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nando, nando,
    Stick it in,
    Stick it in,
    Stick it in.

That'd do.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That'd do.
    But then you miss out on the Number 9 bit. My plan for the weekend is o work on this in my idlier moments -if you come accross some in Dublin humming this to himself say hello as odds are twill be moi.

I wonder who compiles YouTube footballer clips? Is it obsessed fans? Family member? Players themselves? Secret internet pixies? Awh the mysteries of d'internet.

Is there any promising young player in the world that Rafa hasnt had a look at, dya think? Seems to be signing them at a constant rate of one or two a month.

Action pack-ed long weekend ahoy:)

On the heavier side of things, some really interesting reading in the links on Rafa , the squad and stuff. A bit heavy and long but well worth the read.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=225239.0

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=224820.0

Brilliant links MementoMori. Thanks. I love the quote from Shankley
    "For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

I think that just eptimises Rafa's player choices (Skrtel, Agger, Mascherano, Kuyt, Torres, Keane), and perhaps another reason why Rafa has pursued Keane/Barry over Villa/Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,108 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That'd do.

wow. thats the gheyist one yet Al. Good stuff!

But then you miss out on the Number 9 bit

I think you missed the point i was getting at. Rebel got it. Think about my feelings for Fernando and then read wat i edited it to again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Still no ticket news about the Liege game by the club, very odd.

I think you missed the point i was getting at. Rebel got it. Think about my feelings for Fernando and then read wat i edited it to again ;)

Completely missed it - see it now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I really wish you hadn't explained that.......

Liverpool is famous for many things: The Beatles, its historic docks, and now... the best-looking football fans in the country!

A study by Sky HD has revealed when it comes to well-chiselled features and luscious locks, Liverpool tops the table as having the most attractive set of supporters in the Premier League.

High definition television means that it's not just the action on the football pitch which can be scrutinised by viewers - with a picture four times clearer, fans are now finding themselves on show during televised matches.

Sky HD worked with top model agency D1 Model Management to study high definition footage of crowds from every Premier League match last season, and name the top 10 best-looking clubs as:

1. Liverpool
    2. Fulham
    3. Tottenham Hotspur
    4. Sunderland
    5. Chelsea
    6. Newcastle United
    7. Arsenal
    8. Bolton Wanderers
    9. West Ham United
    10. Manchester United

Dean Cleary-Patterson, from D1 Model Management said: "We're used to scouting the cream of British modelling talent in all sorts of weird and wonderful places, but football crowds are certainly a new concept for us!

"We typically take into account a whole range of aspects of a person's appearance, from the symmetry of their features to the glossiness of their hair. It's interesting to know we might need to start scouring the stands of Anfield to find our next big name!

• Advertisement

must have been a game i was over for tbh.

must have been a game i was over for tbh.

Yea I think I was also at that one...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

haha me 2 THIS IS FUN!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I din't know so many of you were at the besiktas game with me and RE*AC*TOR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Dub13 wrote: »

"We typically take into account a whole range of aspects of a person's appearance, from the symmetry of their features to the glossiness of their hair. It's interesting to know we might need to start scouring the stands of Anfield to find our next big name!

scousersxd8.jpg

alright lads, whos who then? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

guys is the game today on tv?

dardoz wrote: »
    guys is the game today on tv?

Nope.

Looking for a stream now.

www.rojadirecta.com have the game listed but have no links up yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

On LFC TV now, see the game where Sinama made Vieira look an eejit and Mellor banged in that lazy wondergoal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Stay away from Falque.. You already stole Pacheco who was amazing. Damn EPL clubs raiding our youth.. :o

Well sign them maybe, that would stop ye whinging.

Ahhh and there we see the bit of Sinama brilliance, left Ljungberg and Vieira for dead. Must have pissed him off that cos he went on and scored quite soon afterwards.

Looking for a stream now.

http://live.zqnow.com/live3.html

May have to download some software.takes literally a few seconds.From here:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?ma...98&part=sports

And mellor sticks it. what a game that was.

May see Nando and Robbie on the pitch together today. Let the mayhem being.:)

Even though they say work permit here about Leto, I think they meant didn't get passport by self-imposed deadline of the 31st. Expect to see a loan move to Olympiakos announced by them Monday.

Rumours continue to abound about Barry.
    Rafa Benitez relieved by Champions League draw
    Aug 2 2008 by Nick Smith, Liverpool Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ last night expressed his relief as the draw for the final Champions League qualifying round paired his side with Belgians Standard Liege.

The Liverpool manager feared a long away trip would disrupt his preparations for the new season with the opening Premier League game against Sunderland coming potentially just three days after the first leg.

But Liege is only about 500 miles from Liverpool and one of the shortest trips they could have received in yesterday’s draw.

Benitez has already taken his side to three different countries during this pre-season programme, with Rangers next on the agenda at Ibrox today and a friendly still to come in Oslo with Valarenga on Tuesday.

But avoiding a trek to Eastern Europe has given the Spaniard a major boost ahead of the new Premier League season.

He said: “I think there are two very important things about this draw. Firstly, the second game is at home which is really, really important. Clearly that makes a massive difference to play the deciding game in front of our own fans.

“I’m also pleased because the travelling isn’t a problem. We don’t have to go too far which is good news, especially when you look at some of the teams we could have drawn.”

Although Benitez is satisfied with the location, he won’t be as laid back about the opposition, who won their first Belgian league tile for 25 years last season.

And he intends to leave nothing to chance to ensure progression to the group stages is secured after the two legs of the third qualifying round tie.

“People may say it’s a kind draw for us but we will treat them with respect,” said Benitez. “We know some things about their team already but we
    will now watch more videos and get reports from our scouts before the first game.

“Of course we know about Oguchi Onyewu because he spent some time with Newcastle.

“Axel Witsel is a good young player and Wilfried Dalmat is probably the best player in their team.

“Alexandre Da Silva is a good defender as well, so we know they won’t be easy opposition for us.

“Overall though it is a good draw and we are happy.”

Meanwhile, Benitez has hinted that Fernando Torres and Robbie Keane could share a pitch for the first time as Liverpool players today.

But whichever striking combination he picks, he is confident that Liverpool can end their pre-season goal drought at Ibrox.

They have drawn their two previous friendlies, with Hertha Berlin and Villarreal, 0-0 but Benitez said: “In the last two games we have created several chances but either the opposition keeper has played really well to stop us from scoring or we have just missed the target.

“There is no problem. I am sure the goals will come and the important thing is that the players are creating chances.

“When they have more sharpness they will score more goals.

“At this stage it is all about preparing for the start of the season and I know that when the season begins my players will be ready.

“Last season Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Babel, Dirk Kuyt, Yossi Benayoun and Peter Crouch all got double figures for us, so I know we have the players to score goals.

“Crouch has left but we have brought in Robbie Keane, who also got double figures for Tottenham, so I am not concerned.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool winger Sebastian Leto is poised to spend the forthcoming season on loan after being rejected a work permit to play in the UK yesterday.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/02/rafa-benitez-relieved-by-champions-league-draw-64375-21452573/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement