Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Any pub that has Setanta through a Sky subscription will have the game - i.e. most pubs in Ireland which have big screens.

Although if you ask Johnny Barman do they have the Liverpool channel, 90% will say NO or just look at you like you're thick.

Just ask them to put on Channel 434 (one of the Setanta sports channels).

Build up starts at 5.30pm, kick off 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How exactly?
    Berbatov
    Season_______________Games____________Goals
    2006-07________________33_______________23
    2007-08________________36_______________23

Total __________________69_______________46

Keane
    Season_______________Games____________Goals
    2006–07________________27_______________22
    2007–08________________36_______________23

Total __________________63_______________45

Please show me Berbas better scoring record?

(If you wanna go talk about the Bundisleaga then I can bring up how many Voronin scored, and how he compares in the prem according to most here!)

And please name all the Berba has won?
    Cause the only trophy I can find in his cabinet is the same League Cup that Robbie has.

Apologies didn't know you were selecting limited scoring records to prove your point. ;)

I was more going with

Berbatov

333 Played
    173 Scored

Keane

444 Played
    169 Scored

You can argue the toss about the different levels they played at, but don't drag Vorinon into it for Christ sake, it cheapens the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In fairness, comparing them against each other while they played side by side is possibly the fairest comparison that you can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Boggles wrote: »
    Apologies didn't know you were selecting limited scoring records to prove your point. ;)

I was more going with

Berbatov

333 Played
    173 Scored

Keane

444 Played
    169 Scored

You can argue the toss about the different levels they played at, but don't drag Vorinon into it for Christ sake, it cheapens the debate.

Look if your going to try and keep this reasoned, it only makes sense to keep it to the premiership, the league they both play in and the league Liverpool are in.

Its a simple common denominator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

podge018 wrote: »
    I meant in Liverpool obviously. Where else would Liverpool fans be from?

Well Liverpool is a city.
    Sorry!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So let's start a new thread people, Keane vs. Berbatov if people want to continue this conversation. Any posts in here afterwards shall be deleted. Or just the Keane thread. Whatever

PHB wrote: »
    So let's start a new thread people, Keane vs. Berbatov if people want to continue this conversation. Any posts in here afterwards shall be deleted. Or just the Keane thread. Whatever

Not a bad idea, any takers?

I was more going with

Berbatov

333 Played
    173 Scored

Keane

444 Played
    169 Scored

I scored 33 goals in 32 games in my astro league last season.
    Does that make me a better striker than them both?:p

The level of competition matters a hell of a lot.

Edit: Sorry, never saw above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Anybody know a place in town showing the Liverpool match this evening?

Or perhaps a good oul live stream on the intramanet too??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Rockee wrote: »
    Or perhaps a good oul live stream on the intramanet too??

You should be able to find a few different sources here:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16098&part=sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I just have a hunch that Robbie will be 20m not that well spent. He will try hard, but his career could go in the same direction as Kewell's did when he got the No.7, ie: downward from here. Maybe not so rapid at first or as deep (now that would be bad) but my hunch is that he has peaked. Perhaps No.7 is now jinxed. It is clearly a weighty mantle to carry.

Karmafaerie> Maradona as great as he was, scored 34 goals in 94 appearances for Argentiana. Keane ha scored 33 in 81 for Ireland.

That is not a like-for-like comparison. Maradona was a creator, a playmaker, and was man-marked more than most. "he is no Maradona" is a saying, not a call to compare the goals-scored statistic. I think everyone worth their salt as an observer would agree that Maradona's skills and touch on the ball were way and above what Robbie has.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    The price is an irrelevance, if rafa believes keane can be the difference between us challenging for the title or not.

Keane does not need to improve on what he has done over the past 5 years, if he can replicate that form for liverpool i.e 15 league goals and 8-10 assists then he will make a big impact.

also having keane also mitigates the doomsday scenario we had last season of torres getting injured and having no reliable goalscorer to replace him.

The price is relevant in my opinion as a club/business we should waste as little as possible. I agree that over-paying for Robbie by 5 or 8m or whatever is not a problem in the general scheme of things IF all things come to pass and all the ducks line up and a premiership (or CL) is landed. However, I dont think Robbie is the difference between us winning and not. Our 'gap' would require a Torres-like change in midfield or on the wing for that. And Robbie is not that change I think. Especially in a 4-4-2 (Gerrard's location?) or if shoe-horned in the right-side in a 4-2-3-1. He may be a round peg for a square hole as it were.

I agree that Robbie has scored some goals in the last 5 years, but will he finish as many in the next 5 years (from 28-33)? My gut is saying that he wont. His sharpness from here may diminish albeit sligtly but enough. As an Irish player I wish it were otherwise. I wish we got Robbie when he was 23 rather than 28. Early signs in the friendlies that he has played are that he hasnt been creating and banging them in either, but its too early to judge of course. We'll all be able to judge when he has 800 mins or so under his belt in real matches.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Well Liverpool is a city.
    Sorry!;)

So is Dublin.
    Sorry too!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

redspider wrote:
    I just have a hunch that Robbie will be 20m not that well spent. He will try hard, but his career could go in the same direction as Kewell's did when he got the No.7, ie: downward from here. Maybe not so rapid at first or as deep (now that would be bad) but my hunch is that he has peaked. Perhaps No.7 is now jinxed. It is clearly a weighty mantle to carry.

I see your points redspider, if anything my opposite opinion is also a 'hunch'. Imo he is exactly the player that could turn 4/5 games around for us this year compared to last year. He can score unexpected goals and create extra chances. Poor finishing was the key problem last season imo. We created plenty of chances in a lot of the drawn games that if they fell to him would have been much more likely to be finished.

Those 4 or 5 games would be all the difference in winning the league. If that happens I wouldn't care how much we paid.

By the by though, I reckon we have paid over the odds for him and Barry by about 15mil all told. However you often have to overpay to get the players you really want, like utd, barca, madrid and chelsea have done in the past.

So is Dublin.
    Sorry too!

Never said it was.
    Just pointed out that this is a forum for Irish Liverpool fans, not Dublin Liverpool fans.

But lets stay on topic here.

Just pointed out that this is a forum for Irish Liverpool fans.

No it's not. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

rosboy wrote: »
    You should be able to find a few different sources here:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16098&part=sports

Thank you sir :)

redspider wrote: »

Karmafaerie> Maradona as great as he was, scored 34 goals in 94 appearances for Argentiana. Keane ha scored 33 in 81 for Ireland.

That is not a like-for-like comparison. Maradona was a creator, a playmaker, and was man-marked more than most. "he is no Maradona" is a saying, not a call to compare the goals-scored statistic. I think everyone worth their salt as an observer would agree that Maradona's skills and touch on the ball were way and above what Robbie has.

The price is relevant in my opinion as a club/business we should waste as little as possible. I agree that over-paying for Robbie by 5 or 8m or whatever is not a problem in the general scheme of things IF all things come to pass and all the ducks line up and a premiership (or CL) is landed. However, I dont think Robbie is the difference between us winning and not. Our 'gap' would require a Torres-like change in midfield or on the wing for that. And Robbie is not that change I think. Especially in a 4-4-2 (Gerrard's location?) or if shoe-horned in the right-side in a 4-2-3-1. He may be a round peg for a square hole as it were.

I agree that Robbie has scored some goals in the last 5 years, but will he finish as many in the next 5 years (from 28-33)? My gut is saying that he wont. His sharpness from here may diminish albeit sligtly but enough. As an Irish player I wish it were otherwise. I wish we got Robbie when he was 23 rather than 28. Early signs in the friendlies that he has played are that he hasnt been creating and banging them in either, but its too early to judge of course. We'll all be able to judge when he has 800 mins or so under his belt in real matches.

Redspider

I said as much myself RS.I (About Maradona being a step above)

I suppose the reason you recieved such a vehement response, is that as you stated, you're just touching in after a few weeks away.

We've been here listening to peoiple slating Robbie for a week now.

Personally I think he's worth it.
    In a market where Andy Johnson is worth £13,000,000, Jo is worth £19,000,000, and Zarate is worth £20,000,000, Keane is well worth his money.

If he continues his form with out improving, that's 20+ goals a season.
    He's a leader, and will work his socks off.
    All good for the team.

He's not the best in the world, b ut I'd prefer him right now, than anyone ese in the £20,000,000 bracket.
    Plus he works well with younger players.
    The likes of Nemeth will appreciate his influence.

No it's not. ;)

I obviously meant thread, which you obviously knew, and I was obviously pointing out that it's not for Dublin residents only, and obviously didn't mean that only Liverpool fans were allowed or should be allowed in.

But you knew that, and were trying to be clever.
    Obviously.

(You also obviously failed by the way!;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

check out http://www.justin.tv/koncerto for a stream.

Valerenga are in no great form right now so I hope we see a very business like startting 11 and performance, Lazio follows then Standard Liege next Wednesday.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

IrishKop on Tour

The Matches that we have planned out so far,

manure (13th Sept) there will be a special chartered flight going direct to Liverpool with transfers, the flight will depart at 9am arrive at anfield approx 11am and leaving Approx 6pm - this flight will be for Liverpool fans only, if your best mate brother whatever is a manc tell them to go Lyinair.

Stoke - (sat 20th Sept) will be boat and coach, with overnight, and if demand is there a day trip also.

Wigan (18th Oct) Boat Coach - day trip

Fulham 22nd Nov Boat Coach

Dec 13th Hull - boat & coach - day trip

Flights - Special Charters have been booked for 17th Jan Everton - 31st Jan - Chelsea & 18th April - gooners. There will also be special charters for C.L. games - these will all be day return flights, night matches leave liverpool approx 11.15pm and arrive dublin shortly after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

G'wan the town!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

redspider wrote: »

However, I dont think Robbie is the difference between us winning and not. Our 'gap' would require a Torres-like change in midfield or on the wing for that. And Robbie is not that change I think.

It would be a bit optimistic to say that Robbie will make the difference, but I disagree that we need a torres-type change. Our midfield is already adequate to win the EPL (I'd say it's top class) and in previous years our defence was adequate too. The problems up front and out wide have been addressed by Torres and a system which does not use width. We need a reliable foil for Torres, an intelligent player who can finish. Kuyt is intelligent but for some reason he can't find his shooting boots in England. Robbie can score and should work well with Gerrard and Torres.
    I agree that Robbie has scored some goals in the last 5 years, but will he finish as many in the next 5 years (from 28-33)?
    Redspider

This doesn't concern me as much as other posters. If he can do it this year and next year then that's good enough. Rafa knows he has to win the EPL this year. From the financial side, Robbie's stock won't fall if he helps Liverpool win the league this year and next.

Finally my 2c on Robbie is that I'm delighted for him. He's dreaming the dream now with Ireland and Liverpool and is a great lad. Quality-wise I've the same doubts as Redspider and others and hope my happiness at the transfer is not just about liking the player (a bit like when the other Robbie returned a few years ago).

Team for tonight

Cavalieri, Arbeloa, Carra, Agger, Dossena, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres, Keane.

Subs: Reina, Plessis, Darby, Nemeth, Pacheco, Spearing, El Zhar, Insua, Ngog, Hyypia.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Keane--Torres

Benayoun--Gerrard--Alonso--Kuyt

Dossena---Carra---Agger--Arbeloa

Cavalieri

Team for the game tonight. Id rekon thats also very close to the starting lineup against Sunderland.

Tusky wrote: »

Keane--Torres

Cavalieri

Team for the game tonight. Id rekon thats also very close to the starting lineup against Sunderland.

or:

Torres

Benayoun
    Keane
    Kuyt

Alonso
    Gerrard

Cavalieri

Playing Cavalieri as the lone striker is a master stoke :pac:

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Team for tonight

Cavalieri, Arbeloa, Carra, Agger, Dossena, Gerrard, Alonso, Benayoun, Kuyt, Torres, Keane.

Subs: Reina, Plessis, Darby, Nemeth, Pacheco, Spearing, El Zhar, Insua, Ngog, Hyypia.
    Nice to see El Zhar in there. I wondered was he injured up to now? I reckon he's in the same league as Ngog if given a chance.

Interesting that Diego is in for Pepe, given that everyone else is first choice (of those available). Barring Pepe, Skrtel and Barry, I don't see anyone else starting v Liege or Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

G'wan the town!
    mada999 wrote: »
    +1

Good to see there is a bit of a crew of Pool fans on here from Dundalk.

• Advertisement

Playing Cavalieri as the lone striker is a master stoke :pac:

Mike.

I never understood why people always display teams from top to bottom. Surely it makes sense to have keeper at the bottom...that way, the right winger is on the right, left winger on the left etc.

Care to shed some light ?

Keane--Torres

Cavalieri

Very strong team. If we play 442 in some important games this season this would be a likely team (with Reina). Mascherano would be the only other obvious candidate to improve it, but perhaps the 5 man midfield accomodates him better.

Really liking the look of the squad now, plenty of tactical options for Rafa.

Is Degan available?

oobydooby wrote: »
    Very strong team. If we play 442 in some important games this season this would be a likely team (with Reina). Mascherano would be the only other obvious candidate to improve it, but perhaps the 5 man midfield accomodates him better.

Really liking the look of the squad now, plenty of tactical options for Rafa.

Is Degan available?

Degen is injured, will miss the start of the season also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,312 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is it definately 442?

not

torres
    Benayoun Keane Kuyt

Gerrard Alonso

Degen is injured, will miss the start of the season also.

Oh, thanks. Anyone seen him or Dossena playing yet?

Is this game on Setanta or LFCTV ?
    oobydooby wrote: »
    Oh, thanks. Anyone seen him or Dossena playing yet?

Ive seen all their games so far. Degen hasnt played much. Has lots of energy and gets up and down the wing quite quickly. Havent seen enough of him to tell how good he is though.

Dossena looks like he hasn't settled in yet, hard to judge how good he is. He is very attack orientated and likes to get forward. Seems to have a good cross on him and is quite physical. Made a great goal line clearance in the last game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Cyrus wrote: »
    is it definately 442?

not

torres
    Benayoun Keane Kuyt

Gerrard Alonso

that's how I see us lining up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lfctv

lfc tv, although i thought setanta advertised it as being on the main channel in the paper last week.

oobydooby,

Degan has looked confident on the ball getting forwards, likes a tackle too. Dossena looked pretty good against Rangers with one superb goal-line clearance.

Tusky, I have no idea why most put goalie at the top, I guess its years of watching them do it on TV! :)

Mike.

No sign of Voronin, Pennant or Finnan.
    All on the way out?

No sign of Aurelio? And he hasn't figured a whole heap in pre-season. Injured?

Degen was very poor defensively in his second game. Albeit Diego, Carra and Insua were all a bit dodgy in that half of football.

Dossena looks like he likes pies. But I'm sure its all muscle. Looks tough, but was badly outpaced by Darchville in one instance v Rangers. He did make a superb goal-line clearance at one stage.

• Advertisement

No sign of Voronin, Pennant or Finnan.
    All on the way out?

Quite possibly. You're talking about £10-14million there between them. Would be the majority of the Barry fee.

Its a very young bench today (aside from Hyypia of course)

was away at weekend and just saw goals from rangers game there, nice movement from the younger players. impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I never understood why people always display teams from top to bottom. Surely it makes sense to have keeper at the bottom...that way, the right winger is on the right, left winger on the left etc.

Care to shed some light ?

Im gonna go with; Keeper at the top because most people think of a team from back to front. And because we're limited on here to writing from top to bottom, left to right, rather then on paper being able to begin at the bottom of the page, thats how it works out :)

Happy with that team anyway. i think in practice it will be more the 4-2-3-1 people have shown. Yoss and Kuyt are naturally gonna be further forward anyway, Keanes natural position is just off the front man anyway, and having Gerrard playing in a deeper role prepares us for the start of the season better, when Masch and Lucas won't be back. gets him back up to practice.

Tusky, I have no idea why most put goalie at the top, I guess its years of watching them do it on TV! :)

Mike.

On LFCtv they just did it left to right:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

stream link please? :)

Saw that! I've never seen such a red crowd outside Anfield!

Valaranga have started well.

http://www.justin.tv/mstv_2

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Yossi should really have put Keane through there ...

shotamoose wrote: »
    Yossi should really have put Keane through there ...

Keane wasn't happy with the pass alright. Yossi looks a little off the pace so far tonight

sweet build up and great finish.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement