Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

paddybar wrote: »
    I hav'nt been able to catch any of the pre season games so,for those of you who have ,what does the best starting 11 look like?

Difficult to say with Degen injured and Mascherano and Babel absent.

That said:

Riena
    Arbeloa-Carra-Agger-Dossena
    Kuyt-Gerrard-Alonso-Benayoun
    Keane
    Torres

Would be as close as you're gonna get based on what's avaialble.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Spearing should get a run out at some point this season, passes like Gerrard, tackles like Mascherano. Gonna be a star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

didnt see the game, just the highlights posted here. the defence looked brutal for their goal. i think keane is gonna be a good link man between torred ans CM's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Spearing should get a run out at some point this season, passes like Gerrard, tackles like Mascherano. Gonna be a star.

I've expected a lot from him over the last few years, but tbh, I've been quite disappointed with him over preseason. With Gerrard/Mascherano/Alonso-Barry/Lucas/Plessis, I cant Spearing getting near the first team, not quite of the required standard in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Bruna has talent, but Pacheco is in a different league.

Tell that to everyone in Spain and Argentina.

Bruna is considered the next Messi (his nickname actually was the Messi of Madrid!).
    He's considered as the most talented 16-17 year old by a long shot, and as Rossboy pointed out, Rafa was desperate to get him.
    He flew out personally to Madrid to visit with his family when Bruna was just 15!!!
    He told him that he'd go straight to the reserve team, and could train with the first team as soon as he came on his 16th birthday.
    Everything coming out of Melwood says that he's out of this world, and I don't think that Madrid are ever gonna forgive us for stealing him!

Pacheco looks class and all, but Bruna is the kind of player that'll be on the front of Pro Evo 2012, and on every Pepsi add for the next decade!:P

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I've expected a lot from him over the last few years, but tbh, I've been quite disappointed with him over preseason. With Gerrard/Mascherano/Alonso-Barry/Lucas/Plessis, I cant Spearing getting near the first team, not quite of the required standard in my view.

He is only 19 though.
    Plenty of time for us to see what he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

In terms of the how the team is shaping up for this season with transfers, etc, its good to see Ngog starting well and scoring with his left foot. Also to see Torres not having a hangover from Euro2008 and continuing where he left off. A "worry" perhaps is that Alonso seems so motivated and playing well, which to me indicates that he is not for sale now. Good goals from him in the friendlies and in positions that he should be taking up more regularly during the season proper, as he has the skills and the shot to score many more form the 20-25 yard range, not only from 70 yards!

I think Liverpool shouldnt go for Barry with the players that we have, and could stick with Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas in centre mid areas. Benayoun could be off-loaded or Pennant perhaps. We have a huge squad at the moment. Barry could fit in a 4-2-3-1 formation as one of the holding 2 but where does that leave Alonso and Mascherano. More squad rotation, thats for sure. I think Barry would do okay but he wouldnt make a step change that could take us further in midfield. His work rate though could help such as for those times sometimes when Alonso just cant make those last-ditch tackles. Barry is sort of one of those quiet players that gets on with his business without much fanfare and where his work does not get that much notice. But is he so good? I think a lot of people are in two minds as to whether he is worth it, in terms of net difference.

Choices, choices ....

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Disagree completely about Yossi, he keeps showing why he should stay, Pennant on the other hand keeps showing why he should go (and I think he wil turn up at Ewood Park soon).

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Disagree completely about Yossi, he keeps showing why he should stay, Pennant on the other hand keeps showing why he should go (and I think he wil turn up at Ewood Park soon).

Mike.

x2

Yossi has been on fire, and is a great squad player.

JP is playing like a player who's been told that he's surplus to requirments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yossi imo is kinda like Park. Most people talk about how he isn't good enough, but ultimately, he's a great and necessary squad player who can come into the team and not be the weak link, even if he isn't the strongest link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Macherano-Lucas-Alonso-Plessis or Macherano-Lucas-Barry-Plessis is not a good enough pool of players for a squad that should be challenging across four competitions.

I would agree. However, you've got to look at it this way. You play a 4-2-3-1. In the 2, you have Mascherano and Alonso, with Lucas and Plessis covering, with the option for Gerrard to cover to. That's not perfect. You are suspectible to injuries so it could certainly be improved upon. I don't disagree with you.
    In you 1, you have Torres Voronin and Ngog as cover which works fine.
    The 3 is your problem,
    you have Gerrard-Keane-Babel-Kuyt-Yossi-Voronin/Pennant

Ultimately, Babel playing week in week out is not yet good enough. You're first team currently in the front 6 has 4 top top class players, 1 player who is off form but has the potential (Alonso) 1 player who is learning his trade still. Having young players is all well and good, you gotta let them develop, but they are part of a first team in a squad that is in transition, part of a squad in a team that is challenging for the league. If Liverpool want to challenge, they have to ensure that at least their first 11 is top class.

As such
    Improving the squad in an area where you first choice is already top class
    Improving the first team in an area where you are weak
    There really is only one option imo.

1 player who is off form but has the potential (Alonso)

Not been watching the friendlies then? He is deffo back.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,315 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id go as far to say he has been the most impressive of the first teamers

though spearing looked out of his depth last night aswell :(

Not been watching the friendlies then? He is deffo back.

Mike.

Friendlies mean nothing.
    And Alonso's game thrives on him being given time and space.
    That won't happen in the prem.

I'm not saying that he's not back on form, I'm jus saying wait and see.
    (And don't jinx it!!!:P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A player like Alonso will always impress in friendlies as he has time, he struggles big time when is put under pressure and closed down, which people coppped onto after his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

kida wrote: »
    A player like Alonso will always impress in friendlies as he has time, he struggles big time when is put under pressure and closed down, which people coppped onto after his first season.
    Yup, I remember Spain were going to win the last world cup with alonso's fine passing, spraying the ball about to all their fine attacking options. World Cup starts, Alonso gets ran at, everything goes tits up.

Remember when we talked about DIC and G&H all the time?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yea, those were the days :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

im not getting carried away with Alonso's good pre season form,he hasnt done it in a consistent basis for 2 seasons in the league.
    All the people giving him props and saying he is back....does the same work for voronin?
    Friendlies mean f##k all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Have you ever seen Mascherano or Gerrard play? Both are just about the best in the world at what they do.
    Have you seen Spearing play? He wasn't even a stand out player in the reserves last season and only gets so much attention because everyone is so desperate for a local lad to come through. The only reason he is featuring so much is the absence of Lucas and Mascherano.

raven136 wrote: »
    All the people giving him props and saying he is back....does the same work for voronin?
    Friendlies mean f##k all

Of course not, cause Voronin has funny hair!

The same people who shout about Alonsos injury being the reason for his bad form, say that Voronins injury is no excuse for him.:rolleyes:

Tell that to everyone in Spain and Argentina.

Bruna is considered the next Messi (his nickname actually was the Messi of Madrid!).
    He's considered as the most talented 16-17 year old by a long shot, and as Rossboy pointed out, Rafa was desperate to get him.
    He flew out personally to Madrid to visit with his family when Bruna was just 15!!!
    He told him that he'd go straight to the reserve team, and could train with the first team as soon as he came on his 16th birthday.
    Everything coming out of Melwood says that he's out of this world, and I don't think that Madrid are ever gonna forgive us for stealing him!

Pacheco looks class and all, but Bruna is the kind of player that'll be on the front of Pro Evo 2012, and on every Pepsi add for the next decade!:P

Bruna sat on the bench for most of Spain's under 17 campaign, whilst Pacheco was one of the stars of the team (though missed the finals through injury).
    I watched most reserve games last season and Bruna looked skillful and technical, but nothing on Pacheco. And he will never, ever, ever be in Messi's league, unfortunately. If he was that good he would have featured in pre-season like Pacheco. He's not that much younger than him (less than a month in the difference)

Please give me the quote from Melwood where it says he is considered the best in his age group by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Have you ever seen Mascherano or Gerrard play? Both are just about the best in the world at what they do.
    Have you seen Spearing play? He wasn't even a stand out player in the reserves last season and only gets so much attention because everyone is so desperate for a local lad to come through. The only reason he is featuring so much is the absence of Lucas and Mascherano.

I agree. I think he'll probably be at the level of Danny Guthrie. Thats a good level, but I don't think its enough to make the cut. I haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen so far from him in preseason. He hasn't done a lot wrong, but IMO hasn't shown that he has anything special to offer the team. When Darby, Insua, Nemeth, Pacheco, Plessis have played they've all showed signs that they have the potential to step up to the next level. Whether they all do or not remains to be seen. I'm just not convinced by Spearing though, and as whatawaster said, I think his presence could have a lot to do with pleasing the local supporters.
    He is only 19 though.
    Plenty of time for us to see what he has.

Thats one thing that I hadn't realised till yesterday. I've been hearing about him for so long now that I thought he was older. While I don't think that he has what it takes to make it at Liverpool, I'd love to see him go out on loan to a lower Premiership team like Guthrie did last year. Let him get some first team experience there. Given an oppurtunity, he could should us that he is capable of being the next Gerrard. Either way, I don't see him getting much first team football (aside from the League Cup) when you consider the players in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I just hope Rafa is around to see all these youngsters develop into the stars we all expect them to be.

I just hope Rafa is around to see all these youngsters develop into the stars we all expect them to be.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I couldn't agree more. I think he is very limited and only getting a look in cos he's a scouser. Stephen Derby on the other hand actually does like he's going to make the grade this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Alonso is an extremely gifted player, who plays a very specific role in controlling the tempo of the game, and distributing the ball, while also offering DM duties.

The problem here is that he would also require another CM or DM to sit beside him, and in doing so puts quite a negative spin on our midfield.

This is even more noticable when he is partnered with Masch who is a top class DM, and can perform the basic ball distribution that Xabi also does, so this forces Xabi either take up similar positions to Masch, or get forward (something in which he isn't extremely comfortable with)

Ideally you'd have Masch partnered with a strong box to box CM (Barry/Gerrard/Future Lucas)

Alonso is an amazing footballer, and someone you could build a team around, it's just unfortunate for him we already have 2 of the best midfielders in the world, and need more going forward than sitting on the halfway line from our midfielders.

If he stays, great, but it's pointless having 2 CM's who don't pass the halfway line, if you noticed last year - Masch was making an effort to get forward more, there are very few times who can get away with 2 DM's, even if Alonso is more Pirlo than Makelele, especially as we really need the second midfielder to power forward while playing 1 up front.

Either we don't pair Alonso/Masch or Alonso improves his attacking game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In what pre-season football I've seen, it does seem that Alonso is getting forward more than he has done in past seasons. Is this a tactical decision by Rafa, a move by Alonso, or just the result of playing against inferior opposition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

In what pre-season football I've seen, it does seem that Alonso is getting forward more than he has done in past seasons. Is this a tactical decision by Rafa, a move by Alonso, or just the result of playing against inferior opposition?

I hope its tactical by Rafa and Alonso gets to liking it. He's scored 2 recently which has got to do his confidence the world of good.

Also, at 6m, he's a bargain in FF if he plays further forward and chips in with assists and goals. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Also, at 6m, he's a bargain in FF if he plays further forward and chips in with assists and goals. :pac:

absolutely at 6m he is a definite in my team anyway!

• Advertisement

Bruna sat on the bench for most of Spain's under 17 campaign, whilst Pacheco was one of the stars of the team (though missed the finals through injury).
    I watched most reserve games last season and Bruna looked skillful and technical, but nothing on Pacheco. And he will never, ever, ever be in Messi's league, unfortunately. If he was that good he would have featured in pre-season like Pacheco. He's not that much younger than him (less than a month in the difference)

Please give me the quote from Melwood where it says he is considered the best in his age group by a long shot.

Official club statement at time of signing
    Liverpool have signed a 16-year-old Argentinian prospect from Real Madrid - who is being dubbed the 'new Leonel Messi'.
    Rafael Benitez has swooped to capture the schoolboy star from the Spanish giants, taking advantage of the same loophole in junior contracts that enabled Arsenal to snap up Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

Gerardo Bruna will arrive at Anfield on a three -year deal, carrying a big reputation after dazzling performances in midfield for the Real youth set-up.
    Spanish newspaper AS reports the deal today as a major blow for the Madrid club who had likened his talent to that of Messi.
    Bruna is half Spanish and has an EU passport which means he won't need a work permit to play in England.

I have a load of Melwood blogs about him, but can't access them in work, I'll post them later.

Also, it's worth adding that Pacheco/Nemeth etc joined in June 2007.
    They've had a full year here.
    Bruna arrived six months later in November I think, and so has only had half the time to adjust.

Bruna is the full article however, and will be the standout of all of the kids IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Official club statement at time of signing

I have a load of Melwood blogs about him, but can't access them in work, I'll post them later.

Also, it's worth adding that Pacheco/Nemeth etc joined in June 2007.
    They've had a full year here.
    Bruna arrived six months later in November I think, and so has only had half the time to adjust.

Bruna is the full article however, and will be the standout of all of the kids IMO.

I really hope he does. In terms of judging them on how they've actually been so far, there is no contest, Pacheco right at this moment in time is the one i'd pick for my 11 between the 2 of them.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I really hope he does. In terms of judging them on how they've actually been so far, there is no contest, Pacheco right at this moment in time is the one i'd pick for my 11 between the 2 of them.

No doubt, but Pacheco wasn't the player he is now six months ago.
    Bruna, Pacheco, and Nemeth are all amazing prospects.
    Arguably the best we've had since Gerrard, Fowler, and Carra.

I can see Rafa slowly bringing them true though.
    It'll be at least two seasons before they're regulars.
    This new 7 sub rule though, is something that Rafa's wanted since he came here.
    I can see Pacheco, and Nemeth in a few games this season, and Bruna next season.

No doubt, but Pacheco wasn't the player he is now six months ago.
    Bruna, Pacheco, and Nemeth are all amazing prospects.

yup, but thats all anyone is saying, that right now, Pacheco is still the better player. Bruna may devolope in time to be better, but as it stands at the moment, he's not yet.

This is definately the best reserve team we've had in a long long time though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

carra was more a late bloomer imo.

but anyway I know everyone posts there 4-2-3-1 formations but heres my opinion on it

Reina
    Arby-skrtel-dagger-doss
    alonso-masch
    keane-stevo-barry
    torres

I know it's assuming we get barry but I'm also happy to see babel, kuyt, benny, maybe ngog, pacheco, nemeth take up some of those forward roles.
    I think we have a chance, no more than that and probably 4th favourites but It's certainly the most options we've had and with the 7 subs these options will be more readily available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Leto gone to Olympiacos for 1 year only - not 2 as had been reported elsewhere.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160795080806-1535.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, apologies if so but Football365 are making an interesting point here:
    Steven Gerrard's thigh injury will almost certainly scupper any thoughts Liverpool had of selling Xabi Alonso to raise money for a Gareth Barry deal.

Boss Rafael Benitez believes it is 'touch and go' whether Gerrard will be fit for next Wednesday's Champions League third qualifying round, first leg fixture away to Standard Liege.

If Gerrard is not fit for that match then Alonso is likely to have to play, with fellow midfielders Javier Mascherano and Lucas are away at the Olympics.

And once Alonso becomes cup-tied in the Champions League his value will drop significantly.

Alonso, valued at over £16million by Benitez, would only ever consider a move to another of the Champions League elite. Otherwise he would be dropping down a level, and the chance to play in the UEFA Cup would not interest him.
    I hadn't actually thought about Alonso being cup-tied for the Champions League. Obviously that will affect his re-sale prospects.

I remember similar happening with Owen in Rafa's first season. He was left on the bench for the qualifying game against Graz in the Schwarzenegger stadium. We were wearing one of the many awful yellow kits we've had over the years and Gerrard scored 2 belters.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The difference between Owen and Alonso though is that Owen wanted to leave Liverpool Alonso doesn't (from the sounds of it). I don't think that Rafa would be ridiculously upset to have cup tied Alonso and be forced to keep him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Disagree completely about Yossi, he keeps showing why he should stay, .

I'm not a big fan tbh. He's grand going forward (by grand I mean we could/should have better) but when he's on the wing he never stays there. He drifts inside all the time and leaves the full back very exposed.

Dont know if it's been brought up here since but just after the EC (or just before, cant remember) during the David Villa discussions I said about us buying him and Barry. Basically the situation was that we wouldnt be signing both, but now , having signed Keane and the Barry deal seemingly not completely dead , it looks like we could be buying both without the need to sell (crouch was going anyway) so is Villa a missed oppertunity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

spockety wrote: »
    The difference between Owen and Alonso though is that Owen wanted to leave Liverpool Alonso doesn't (from the sounds of it). I don't think that Rafa would be ridiculously upset to have cup tied Alonso and be forced to keep him either.
    Sorry, I was rambling a bit in my post :). I wasn't comparing the Owen and Alonso situation, it defintely seems as you say, that Xabi wants to stay. I was just pointing out that I hadn't considered the ramifications if Alonso gets cup-tied and maybe others hadn't either.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan tbh. He's grand going forward (by grand I mean we could/should have better) but when he's on the wing he never stays there. He drifts inside all the time and leaves the full back very exposed.

I still think he's as good a backup as we could hope to have. Besides in the new system its not as important for the WF's to track back, thats what the 2 DMF's are there to help with, moving over to the exposed side as needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

malice_ wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, apologies if so but Football365 are making an interesting point here:

I hadn't actually thought about Alonso being cup-tied for the Champions League. Obviously that will affect his re-sale prospects.

I remember similar happening with Owen in Rafa's first season. He was left on the bench for the qualifying game against Graz in the Schwarzenegger stadium. We were wearing one of the many awful yellow kits we've had over the years and Gerrard scored 2 belters.

Or maybe it'll act as the right kind of incentive to get Waldorf & Statler to see if they can find a few quid down the back of the couch so Rafa can finally get his man - i.e. Barry.

Just going back to the Youth/Reserves team topic again, does anyone know what happened with the young Swedish lad, Markus Johansson, who we gave a trial to back at the start of June? He was 14, and had already made some appearance for Hagahojden's senior team, scoring three times. He sounds an impressive talent, and one who may fit in well with Rafa's youth program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I dont understand how people continue to doubt Yossi! He scored 10 goals from limited opportunities last year and is our top scorer in pre-season with 3 goals this year. Hes not a world beater but hes about as good back up as you can possibly get.

[edit] and he cost next to nothing.

Stekelly wrote: »

But we don't play with wingers!!
    This has really been done to death at this stage.

We play with three behind the front man.
    Two wing-forwards, and a second striker.
    The three swap and switch.
    If Benayoun stayed on the wing, he wouldn't fit in the system, and he more importantly wouldn't be doing what Rafa has told him to do.
    How can people fault him for doing what he's told to do?!!

We play with wingbacks for width and two defensive midfielders to cover when the wingbacks go forward.

Slighting Benayoun for not staying wide is like slighting Carragher for not scoring more goals!
    It's not what he's supposed to do.

We have a natural winger in Pennant, who stays wide as much as possible, and he doesn't get a look in, cause it's not what we want/need.

I have a load of Melwood blogs about him,

Can you post some of the links for Melwood blogs you have Karmafaerie? Not necessarily about Bruna. I haven't seen any before and would love to be able find a source for them to keep an eye on them going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Slighting Benayoun for not staying wide is like slighting Carragher for not scoring more goals!
    In fairness Carragher should score more goals.

For those interested, the men's olympic football kicks off tomorrow morning.

Lucas will be in action for Brazil against Belgium at 10.00 in the morning and at 12.45 we have a choice of watching Babel (Holland v Nigeria) or Mascherano (Argentina v Ivory Coast)

All games can be watched on the red button on BBC if you have Digital or on the BBC website (not sure if it's available to us in Ireland, though i'm sure there'll be streams aplenty)

I think i want Babel to pick up a gold more so than Lucas or Mascherano. We want him back super confident.
    It's hard to look past Argentina though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Liverpool could have raised some of the cash to finance a move for Gareth Barry with the sale of Dirk Kuyt - but the Reds scared off Hamburg with their £16m valuation of the Dutch striker. (Daily Mail)
    Couldn't see Rafa selling him, has probably the best workrate in the team.

On the Olympics, I don't wish Mascherano or Babel any success in the Olympics ;), want them back as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez's delight at new boy David Ngog's big impact
    Aug 6 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today hailed the instant impact made by David Ngog and backed the French youngster to get even better when he gets used to the Liverpool way of playing.

Ngog, a £1.5m summer signing from Paris Saint Germain, scored his second goal in three pre-season friendly matches in last night’s comfortable 4-1 win over Valerenga in Oslo.

The 19-year-old added to his first goal in a red shirt against Rangers at the weekend with a cool finish to score Liverpool’s fourth of the night against the Norwegians.

And his manager couldn’t hide his delight with the way Ngog is settling into the Reds’ first team squad.

“David is a young player but we knew when we signed him that he had a lot of ability and a lot of potential,” said Benitez.

“It can sometimes be difficult for young players when they move to a new club, but he has done well and it will be good for his confidence that he has already scored two goals.

“It is now important that he keeps on working hard and trying to get better because he still needs to improve. I think that he will do that.

“His goals are positive but equally important is his movement because this shows that he has game intelligence which was one of the main reasons why we brought him to Liverpool.”

Benitez also praised Xabi Alonso, who put in another excellent performance, despite the constant speculation which surrounds his future at Anfield.

The Spanish midfielder also scored his second pre-season goal with a well taken strike from the edge of the box and the Reds boss believes Alonso’s professionalism is paying dividends.

He said: “Xabi scored a good goal after scoring a penalty against Rangers on Saturday so this is very positive.

“He is showing that he is a good professional but then we already knew this and I am very pleased with his commitment on the pitch.”

The only sour note for Liverpool on a night when Yossi Benayoun and Fernando Torres also got their names on the score sheet was an injury to captain Steven Gerrard which forced him to limp off after just 27 minutes.

Gerrard was replaced by Jay Spearing after picking up a thigh strain which was today being assessed at Melwood.

Benitez fears the injury could lead to his skipper missing the first leg of the Champions League qualifying tie against Standard Liege in Belgium next Wednesday.

He added: “It is a thigh strain. We need to wait but it could be one week.”

Meanwhile, AS Roma’s desire to take Yossi Benayoun to the Stadio Olimpico is unlikely to lead to the Israeli midfielder leaving Anfield.

Roma coach Luciano Spalletti has set his sights on signing Benayoun and Monaco’s Jeremy Menez but Benitez is not looking to let the midfielder leave with Jermaine Pennant already heading towards the Anfield exit door.

Liverpool midfielder Sebastian Leto has agreed a two-year loan deal with Olympiakos after being denied a work permit to play in England next season.

The 21-year-old Argentine, who joined the Reds from Lanus for around £2m in 2007, was granted an Italian passport last summer but it was later revoked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement