Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Obviously we'd never get £16m for Kuyt - Rafa's just trying to scare them off as he loves the man - but would anyone object to letting him go if Hamburg came back with say... a £13m-14m offer?

I like him but I'd sure as hell take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Anyone have any predictions on the team for the frieldly tomorrow night? Should hopefully see the XI that will start the season against Sunderland.

Torres
    Keane
    Benny Alonso Gerrard Kuyt
    Dossena Agger Carra Arbeloa
    Reina

Just have a vested interest as I'm off to the game tomorrow :D. So hopefully it'll be a good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

PiE wrote: »
    Obviously we'd never get £16m for Kuyt - Rafa's just trying to scare them off as he loves the man - but would anyone object to letting him go if Hamburg came back with say... a £13m-14m offer?

I like him but I'd sure as hell take it.

I'd object. He's a valuable part of our team. A great team player, and work horse. I has proven he can score a lot of important goals for us, especially in the champions league. And for £12-13m who would you get to replace him of the same caliber/experience? He isn't the most technically gifted player in the world, but if I was Rafa it would take nearer to £20m for me to part with him.

On a similar line issue of players we have no intention of selling, but are being linked with a move away, here's TB ruling out a move for Benayoun:
    YOSSI BENAYOUN has been told he will not be sold - despite constant speculation linking him with a move away from Anfield.

The Israeli midfielder was again linked with a move to Roma today with the Italian club having identified him as one of their main transfer targets for this summer.

But Benayoun has been assured by Rafa Benitez he will not be sold and the player himself is not looking to leave anyway so any such move would be highly unlikely.

The 28-year-old has impressed during pre-season, scoring three goals in seven games and playing a key role in Liverpool’s unbeaten run.

Benayoun’s ability to play in a number of positions makes him a key member of Benitez’s first team squad and the Reds boss has made it clear to him that his future lies with Liverpool.

And with Sebastian Leto having left Liverpool on a one year loan deal to Olympiakos, the Reds boss would be loathe to reduce his options on the left side still further by allowing the versatile Benayoun to depart.

Furthermore, contrary to speculation, there is no need whatsoever for Benayoun to be sold to finance the proposed signing of Gareth Barry as the funding for that possible deal is entirely separate.

Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard faces a race against time to be fit for the first leg of Liverpool’s Champions League qualifier against Standard Liege next Wednesday.

As expected, the thigh injury Gerrard picked up during the first half of the Reds’ 4-1 friendly win over Valerenga on Tuesday is not serious, but it is expected to keep him out of action for up to a week.

Gerrard ensured the problem would not be any worse than it is by signalling to the bench that he needed to come off as soon as he felt a twinge.

The Liverpool captain will sit out tomorrow night’s warm-up match against Lazio at Anfield and is undergoing treatment at Melwood in a bid to be ready for the meeting with Standard.

Benitez said: “Scans have confirmed our diagnosis of a thigh strain.

“Steven will be out for more or less a week.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/07/yossi-benayoun-reassured-over-liverpool-fc-future-100252-21482825/2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Honestly couldn't see us getting as much as 13 or 14 tbh but I'd jump at it if it was offered.

TB reporting today that Yossi as been assured of his future at Anfield and also that "there is no need whatsoever for Benayoun to be sold to finance the proposed signing of Gareth Barry as the funding for that possible deal is entirely separate" which could imply that the funding for Barry is already in place. Nothing from him about Kuyt despite the story being on Radio City & in 1 or 2 papers this morning.

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    Anyone have any predictions on the team for the frieldly tomorrow night? Should hopefully see the XI that will start the season against Sunderland.

Torres
    Keane
    Benny Alonso Gerrard Kuyt
    Dossena Agger Carra Arbeloa
    Reina

Just have a vested interest as I'm off to the game tomorrow :D. So hopefully it'll be a good game

Seeing as Gerrard is injured, I wouldn't bet on him starting:p. My guess would be:

Torres
    Benayoun---Keane----Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso
    Dossena--Agger--Carra--Arbeloa
    Reina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gerrard better start v Sunderland.

and the fantasyfooty annoyances start... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

rosboy wrote: »
    Seeing as Gerrard is injured, I wouldn't bet on him starting:p. My guess would be:

Torres
    Benayoun---Keane----Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso
    Reina

still a strong side. lots of goal threats.

any news on stevie? will he be back for the season opener?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

prendy wrote: »
    any news on stevie? will he be back for the season opener?

Comments from Rafa were that he'd be out for more or less 1 week which all going well could even have him back for the CL game next week although there's no way he'll be risked for it if he's not ready in time. Hopefully he'll be fine for the league start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Torres
    Benayoun---Keane----Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso
    Reina

Doh!! totally forgot about that... Yeah that looks like a good line up still though. Haven't seen Plessies IRL but looking forward to it. Has a hell of a shot on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Torres
    Benayoun---Keane----Kuyt

Plessis--Alonso
    Reina
    I can't imagine Agger making the team ahead of Skrtel, otherwise that's pretty much what I expect to see. Although possibly Carragher at right-back with Skrtel and Agger in the centre now that I think about it :).

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    I can't imagine Agger making the team ahead of Skrtel, otherwise that's pretty much what I expect to see. Although possibly Carragher at right-back with Skrtel and Agger in the centre now that I think about it :).

Isn't Skrtel injured too?

Edit: adding link: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160788080805-0952.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Any news on whats happening if anything with DIC and the yanks lately? In fairness the yanks seem to be making money available as evidenced by the number of signings so far , I know some were helped by sales but again this year we maybe the biggest or one of the biggest spenders out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

gernon wrote: »
    Any news on whats happening if anything with DIC and the yanks lately? In fairness the yanks seem to be making money available as evidenced by the number of signings so far , I know some were helped by sales but again this year we maybe the biggest or one of the biggest spenders out there.

are you taking this piss?

unless i am mistaken our net spend is about 7m so far.

they're a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Our lack of wingers is less apparent in 4-2-3-1 but when you look at us in a 4-4-2 its quite worrying. I would be doubtful how well Kuyt/Benayoun would do in a 4-4-2 formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Seems I have offended some of the Gods :D All I'm saying is if Barry is signed along with the Keane deal and a few other smaller transfers , Liverpool have spent more money than most of other big clubs so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Seems I have offended some of the Gods :D All I'm saying is if Barry is signed along with the Keane deal and a few other smaller transfers , Liverpool have spent more money than most of other big clubs so far.

Be careful how you put things because some of the (for some reason the 3 of them remind me of united supporters) guys are a bit fussy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Our lack of wingers is less apparent in 4-2-3-1 but when you look at us in a 4-4-2 its quite worrying. I would be doubtful how well Kuyt/Benayoun would do in a 4-4-2 formation.

Why worrying? Rafa's clearly built a squad to play the formation(s) that he wants to play.

Fans of the Premiership are too hung-up on 4-4-2. Fergie was nearly crucified for moving Man Utd away from it, and Rafa and Wenger were given similar stick. Rafa has won leagues using a 4-2-3-1. Look around Europe, and none of the top teams play 4-4-2 consistently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Isn't Skrtel injured too?

Edit: adding link: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160788080805-0952.htm
    Ah, fair enough, I didn't know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why worrying? Rafa's clearly built a squad to play the formation(s) that he wants to play.

Fans of the Premiership are too hung-up on 4-4-2. Fergie was nearly crucified for moving Man Utd away from it, and Rafa and Wenger were given similar stick. Rafa has won leagues using a 4-2-3-1. Look around Europe, and none of the top teams play 4-4-2 consistently.

I fully accept that point. It is a 4-2-3-1, but in the 3, you need widish attacking midfielders, and the lack of quality there has to be worrying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

PHB wrote: »
    I fully accept that point. It is a 4-2-3-1, but in the 3, you need widish attacking midfielders, and the lack of quality there has to be worrying?

Was Keane not bought to be one of them so?:confused:

At the moment we have spent a net total of £7,000,000 give or take.
    If we buy Barry for £18,000,000; then Pennant (£6,000,000) and Finnan (£2,000,000) will be going, not to mention maybe Voronin (£4,000,000) and Alonso (£16,000,000).

We could spend £1,000,000,000 on new players, and it wouldn't be the owners giving cash if we sell £999,999,999 worth.

By the looks of things, we're gonna be making a net spend of around £10,000,000.
    That is a joke for us.
    Chelsea, Utd, Totenham, Portsmouth etc have already spent more, and the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, and maybe even Villa will.

The owners haven't supported Rafa in any way whatsoever.

gernon, the issue of a transfer budget is a sensitive one around here. Yes Liverpool are spending a relatively large ammount of money this summer, but it is almost all being funded by sales of players. As Mr Alan said, so far Liverpool have spend £7m more than they have sold. If Barry comes in for around £18m, about £18m will need to be recouped in sales (Pennant, Voronin and Finna being the obvious ones). By all accounts, it looks like we'll be lucky if the yanks throw in £10m. Sunderland have more to spend than us. Thats how bad things are.

The yanks were supposed to come in an make Liverpool a Premiership winning team. Instead, with the exception of funding last summers transfers, they have only destabilised the club. If we are to win the Premiership under the yanks, it will be because of shrewd investment/sales by Rafa. They don't seem to support Rafa, but rather undermine him.

So you see, its a sensitive topic. Thats your post elicited the reaction it did.

Edit: Karmafaerie got there just before me, with almost the exact same points:)

A choice of Babel, Ngog, Keane, Gerrard, Yossi, and Kuyt behind Torres is more than good enough IMO.

Lets just say I'm not worried.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A choice of Babel, Ngog, Keane, Gerrard, Yossi, and Kuyt behind Torres is more than good enough IMO.

Lets just say I'm not worried.:)

That is pretty good, but to really push on id really like one more, like a Suarez or Silva or even Riera or Downing.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    That is pretty good, but to really push on id really like one more, like a Suarez or Silva or even Riera or Downing.

I would too, but to be honest I really don't think Rafa will have the funds for it this time around. I think he's done as much as he can to strengthen the team this summer with the resources at his disposal. Next summer, I think we will see a focus on either side of that attacking 3 formation.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I agree.
    With Leto gone, I'd say that a bid for Downing is nearing.
    The left does look suspect.

I would too, but to be honest I really don't think Rafa will have the funds for it this time around. I think he's done as much as he can to strengthen the team this summer with the resources at his disposal. Next summer, I think we will see a focus on either side of that attacking 3 formation.

It depends on who goes.

If Alonso stays then I can't see anymore big buys.
    If he goes, then I'd see all of the money going on a wing-forward.

At this stage I think that a combination of Finnan/Pennant/Voronin/and whatever loan fee we got for Leto is gonna but Barry, along with a few quid from the owners.

I agree.
    With Leto gone, I'd say that a bid for Downing is nearing.
    The left does look suspect.

Isn't there Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt for the left, and Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt, Keane, Gerrard for the right? I'm don't know enough about N'Gog to know if we can play on the "wings".

• Advertisement

Isn't there Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt for the left, and Babel, Benayoun, Kuyt, Keane, Gerrard for the right? I'm don't know enough about N'Gog to know if we can play on the "wings".

I wouldn't put Kuyt on the left.
    He has a good cross with his right, but next to no left foot.

Babel/Benni/Ngog can play on the left

Keane/Gerrard/Babel/Benni can play central

Keane/Gerrard/Benni/Kuyt/Ngog can play on the right.

The left is deffinately weakest.
    probably our weakest position backup wise now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The owners haven't supported Rafa in any way whatsoever.
    Instead, with the exception of funding last summers transfers, they have only destabilised the club.

I'm not backing the owners, but they did fund the Mashcerano & Skrtle move for around £23m in January.

I wouldn't put Kuyt on the left.
    He has a good cross with his right, but next to no left foot.

I thought I remembered hearing about Kuyt playing on the left side, possibly when he was younger.

I do agree that the left is weak though, but doubt our ability to get someone of the standard we need this summer. Hopefully I'm wrong.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I'm not backing the owners, but they did fund the Mashcerano & Skrtle move for around £23m in January.

Didn't Sissoko go for £11m in the same window? That leaves £12m the owners kicked in. But IIRC, that was all part of the refinancing package for the club, and the debt was shoved onto the club itself, and not the owners.

I take your point though DeadSkin, I'm just not convinced that their motives at the time were for the good of the club.

Every single one of them is right footed.

The overall spend last season, including Skretel/Masch/Babel/Torres was some £22,000,000 IIRC

The owners gave us money, but people forget that we sold a hell of a lot last season too.

Ciise/Bellamy/Garcia/Momo/Gonzalez etc

The owners haven't signifigantly inputed any funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Including Mascherano's wages i think. So you could possibly take 8m (40k per week over 4 years) off that and also 10 million from the Sissoko sale. Not such a huge investment.

Tusky wrote: »
    Every single one of them is right footed.

Thought Rafa was happy with that. The right footed player cuts inside, allowing the full back to overlap.

Again, I agree our options are limited. I just don't think we're going to bring in any player to strengthen the position this summer.

I had always assumed/thought the plan would be,
    net spend of 20 million ish

Replace Alonso with Barry for only a small cost (2-3 million)
    Buy Keane funded by the sale of players [Pennant, Riise, whoever]
    Buy new winger with the money from the owners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

still waiting for that money from the owners :(

That's what most of us thought.
    Only wish it was the case.
    Looks like the owners might stump up £10,000,000 if we're lucky!

All that CL money, and the new Prem money is going sar we see!:(

• Advertisement

Thought Rafa was happy with that. The right footed player cuts inside, allowing the full back to overlap.

Again, I agree our options are limited. I just don't think we're going to bring in any player to strengthen the position this summer.

Yeah, thats fine. But by that rational you should have someone on the right who is left footed!

Thats what we all hoped. It seems to have been the case we had to "sell to buy" all along. It seems at the moment that the yanks are going to underwite the fee for Barry, but Rafa has to sell to make the money back:
    The immediate need for funds to complete the Barry deal have eased after co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett agreed to underwrite the fee in what amounts to a short-term loan

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2008/08/04/liverpool-fc-star-xabi-alonso-not-for-sale-on-cheap-100252-21461108/

As Mr Alan and Karmafaerie already said, we've spent £7m net so far, and are struggling to come up with cash. Its a sad state of affairs.

Tusky wrote: »
    Yeah, thats fine. But by that rational you should have someone on the right who is left footed!

I had started to address that in my previous post, but ended up deleting it and just hitting the post button instead;)

IMO Rafa would love some naturally left footed players that could do the same on the right wing, or just play on the left. But again, I don't think he has the resources to address everything this summer, and is doing the best he can. And in this case that means playing right footed players on the left, and using the full backs to over lap, thus giving him width. Not an ideal situation, but its what we are left with.

The reason I still believe it is because it would make no sense in my mind, if you had the choice of strengthening central midfield or your attacking midfielders, to strengthen central midfield. As such, I'm assuming theres money there and this is all just a bluff in order to keep prices down.

I had started to address that in my previous post, but ended up deleting it and just hitting the post button instead;)

IMO Rafa would love some naturally left footed players that could do the same on the right wing, or just play on the left. But again, I don't think he has the resources to address everything this summer, and is doing the best he can. And in this case that means playing right footed players on the left, and using the full backs to over lap, thus giving him width. Not an ideal situation, but its what we are left with.

Yossi is a lefty, with a good right.

The reason I still believe it is because it would make no sense in my mind, if you had the choice of strengthening central midfield or your attacking midfielders, to strengthen central midfield. As such, I'm assuming theres money there and this is all just a bluff in order to keep prices down.

I hope that's the case.
    Hedging my bets at his stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RAFA SPEAKS- LISTEN! :)
    Rafael Benitez today responded to speculation linking Yossi Benayoun and Dirk Kuyt with moves away from Anfield and insisted: "Neither player will be leaving."
    Benayoun is reportedly attracting interest from Italian giants Roma while Kuyt has this morning been linked with a switch to Hamburg in Germany.

The Liverpool boss has spoken with both players over the past 24 hours and is adamant each has a big part to play in the club's quest for honours this season.

He said: "It is true that Roma are interested in Yossi. I was talking with him yesterday and told him I want to keep him. He is a player with quality and has shown that during pre-season. I have no more news about Yossi - he will be staying with us.

"I also talked with Dirk Kuyt this morning. I am really pleased with him and he will be staying with us."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lol at this post:

http://forums.liverpoolfc.tv/showthread.php?t=54084
    Robert Pires
    showed last night he's still awesome.

I'd love him here. Instead of wasting £18m on Barry, we probably get him for £13-15.

Wonder would he move here after playing for Arsenal though.

Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pires???????????????????? :eek: Talk about a giant leap back (to the 20th century!) anyway no one can take him seriously after that dive! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Has been doing very well though. Move to Spain has certainly rejuvenated him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement