Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Has been doing very well though. Move to Spain has certainly rejuvenated him.

more than good,he is exceptional in spain and was regarded as by as the main reason for villareal being so good.
    Wouldnt be the type of player we should be looking at right no but man alive he has been on fire in spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It was more the suggestion that we should pay 13 mill for a 34 for year old that made me lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I'm not too worried at the moment concerning the left hand side. Granted, it is our weakest area as far as back-up is concerned but we've enough quality to cope with it. Benayoun playing on the left wouldn't be the worst. When he plays on the right he cuts inside all the time since he's left footed, being logical, you could imagine that in the LW position he'd actually stay out left, run the ball down to the corner flag and whip in a cross. It's closer to a 4-4-2 formation and isn't the way we typically set up to play but it's an option.
    Dossena is MAD keen to attack too. It wouldn't surprise me if he was crossing the ball in at the corner flag for the majority of games. Makes me think of Evra so I think he's a great buy. I'd just be a little concerned about who's covering on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Babel/Benni/Ngog can play on the left

Don't forget Aurelio too. I'd consider him more of a LB but he has been used further up the pitch too on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Anybody got tonight's score and any other match info? Couldn't find any feed nor any news anywhere!!

tricky D wrote: »
    Anybody got tonight's score and any other match info? Couldn't find any feed nor any news anywhere!!

Maybe that's because tonights game is on tonight - i.e. in just over 19 hours time ?

Or is there some other game you're referring to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sorry, ignore. Date mix up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pires was IMMENSE last season in La Liga. Kdjac thought it was a travesty that he didn't get player of the season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Robert Pires
    showed last night he's still awesome.

I'd love him here. Instead of wasting £18m on Barry, we probably get him for £13-15.
    Maybe they meant literally thirteen to fifteen pounds Sterling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Especially after that penalty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'm not too worried at the moment concerning the left hand side. Granted, it is our weakest area as far as back-up is concerned but we've enough quality to cope with it. Benayoun playing on the left wouldn't be the worst. When he plays on the right he cuts inside all the time since he's left footed, being logical, you could imagine that in the LW position he'd actually stay out left, run the ball down to the corner flag and whip in a cross. It's closer to a 4-4-2 formation and isn't the way we typically set up to play but it's an option.
    Dossena is MAD keen to attack too. It wouldn't surprise me if he was crossing the ball in at the corner flag for the majority of games. Makes me think of Evra so I think he's a great buy. I'd just be a little concerned about who's covering on the counter.

Are you sure he's a leftie. I'm almost sure he's right footed...

Some reports this morning that Waldorf & Statler haven't been able to come up with the money they promised for the Barry deal - which would be nothing short of laughable if true. Others suggesting that's rubbish and the deal is as good as done. I'd imagine Rafa is hoping to get this tied up in time for the CL game next week rather than potentially having to cup tie Alonso if Gerrard hasn't fully recovered from his thigh strain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Gillett & Hicks to meet DIC

A source heavily involved in previous negotiations between Dubai International Capital and the club's owners has informed us that Tom Hicks and George Gillett have again agreed to sit down to discuss the future of the club.

It is claimed that a formal meeting is to be held in New York within the next 11 days and that Rick Parry does not attend at the request of co-owner Tom Hicks, after it was suggested that the Reds chief executive should be present by DIC officials.

Just read this on IrishKop.

No sources or anything, so probably BS.
    Still. We can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Just read this on IrishKop.

No sources or anything, so probably BS.
    Still. We can dream.

...and sometimes dreams come true!

The only thing is that, even if it is true, I doubt it will be any good to Rafa in this transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Even though I know we have no money and even though I know we need to sell in order to buy, everytime I hear about those damn Americans it depresses me.

• Advertisement

rosboy wrote: »
    ...and sometimes dreams come true!

The only thing is that, even if it is true, I doubt it will be any good to Rafa in this transfer window.

Maybe, maybe not.
    If they know one way or another within the next week, they can put plans in effect.
    We still have 3 weeks left in the window.
    And if not, there's always January.
    To be honest, I'm more concerned about the long term implications.
    The club needs new owners and the sooner the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup, new owners is a priority, and a feckin new stadium.

When we finally get rid of the yanks, it will be the textbook example of the diaster that can happen when selling your club to foreign investers.

If anything, they've held us back in the 18months they've been here, they've consistenly undermimed the spirit of the club from the messing around with the stadium and the Klinsmann approach...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'd say it's BS alright Karma.
    TB saying
    A proposed four-year contract would take Barry to 31 years old and Hicks and Gillett doubt he would have a significant sell-on value at that stage of his career.

What about Keane? Did they question his sell-on value?

DeadSkin wrote: »

Surely they didn't get a say in the keane transfer!!

Sell on value is at best a secondary matter when it comes to winning things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If no cash injection means Alonso stays at least until January I'm happy enough. Now just sell on Pennant, Voronin and + one other then we can buy a winger!

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Now just sell on Pennant

I will dance a jig when he goes. With kicks and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Even though I know we have no money and even though I know we need to sell in order to buy, everytime I hear about those damn Americans it depresses me.

I have adopted the tactic of putting my hands over my ears and rocking back and forth everytime I see/hear any mention of G+H. I just want the bad men to go away. Every single thing I've heard/read about these two depresses me. I'm hoping financial circumstances force them to sell and we can nice new DIC owners.

On Benni - I would have said he was right-footed but not 100% - kinda like a discussion of Ngog I saw lately (maybe here?) wondering whether he was right-footed or left-footed - basically his ability with both feet made it difficult to work out:p

Glad to see Rafa's statement on Benni and Kuyt staying - Benni is invaluable.

On the left-sided thing - whoever said Kuyt on the left is talking madness - not a runner at all - I've become slightly more relaxed about the left-sided attacker situation - clearly our weakest squad position but we still have options there, albeit not all players whose first preference it is to play there.
    I'm still hoping we get another leftie in.

On Barry - who knows - I'm of the opinion that if he is bought, the best the Yanks will do is provide a short-term loan to cover the cost of buying him for now i.e. if he is bought it would probably mean the sale of Pennant and Voronin now, with the possible future sale (next summer) of Alonso paying off the rest. :(

On the transfer front - slightly disappointed there weren't any rumours linking us to Van Der Vaart - I know Spain was always his likely destination and would assume his wages (and signing on fee) there would be hard to match, but I'd have liked some sort of link as he is a top-class player available relatively cheaply. Would much prefer to spend £18m on hom than on Barry:(

The current net summer spend of £7.5m ish with the sale of Itandje still to come (£2m?)when he does bugger off does not make me a happy bunny. I'm of the opinion that he might not be in a major rush to sign a new contract as I can't see him managing to secure anything like the wage he is on at Liverpool. If his salary dropped from £30k p.w. to £20k p.w and he delays signing for four weeks, that's an extra £40k. As he is clearly no longer in Liverpool's plans he could well have signed at the start of July - possibly extending this to £80k. Well that's my conspiracy theory of the day.

Saw some snatches of the Olympics - Dutch very lacksadical - from what I saw Babel looked only ok - couple of flashes but didnt seem majorly interested. From what I saw Masch looked decent - breaking up play, covering back and laying it off to Riquelme to get things going. Didnt see any of Lucas. Hoping Argies win their group and Dutch come second in theirs or vice versa - first is more likely in my opinion, given the tables and groups, as this would set up a knock-out quarter-final clash between the two on the 16th, with one of the sides heading home - so either Masch or Babel back - from what I saw it would be likelier to be the Dutch.

More info here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics_-_Men%27s_tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I have adopted the tactic of putting my hands over my ears and rocking back and forth everytime I see/hear any mention of G+H. I just want the bad men to go away. Every single thing I've heard/read about these two depresses me. I'm hoping financial circumstances force them to sell and we can nice new DIC owners.

[/url]
    +1
    Not sure how good this source is but
    DIC confirm Reds talks
    11:30 - 08 August 2008

Liverpool's American owners have been in talks with Dubai International Capital, the investment arm of the emirate's government confirmed on Tuesday.

The Anfield ownership battle has been the subject of intense speculation in recent months, with the future of Tom Hicks and George Gillett shrouded in uncertainty.

"It's no secret that we have been in discussions with the current owners," DIC chief executive Sameer al-Ansari told www.skysports.com. "It's not easy because the owners are in dreamland about valuations at the moment."

The US tycoons are believed to have suffered a breakdown in their relationship since taking over Liverpool last year, with reports on Tuesday indicating Hicks is preparing to buy out his co-owner.

Al-Ansari later clarified that one of the club's owners "had come out of dreamland", without giving further details.

Only last week, Texan billionaire Hicks insisted he was not planning to sell his stake in the club, denying reports he had invited DIC to inspect the club's accounts in preparation for a takeover.

Frustrated by Hicks' stance, DIC turned their attention to Gillett, who is thought to be much keener on a sale than his partner.

However, neither of the co-owners is able to cut and run without the other's consent, a point Hicks was at pains to make last week when he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval."

Also, DIC are thought to want a controlling stake at Anfield, meaning they would need to convince Hicks to relinquish part of his 50% of the club as well as buying out Gillett.
    http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=206913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=134111&contentPK=21251956&folderPk=78725&pNodeId=201354
    and
    http://insidelfc.blogspot.com/2008/08/dic-back-in-huntplease-buy-club.html
    08 August 2008
    DIC BACK IN THE HUNT....PLEASE BUY THE CLUB!
    An inside source heavily involved in previous negotiations between Dubai International Capital and the club's owners has informed 'our informer' that Tom Hicks and George Gillett have again agreed to sit down to discuss the future of the club.

It is claimed that a formal meeting is to be held in New York within the next 11 days and that Rick Parry does not attend at the request of co-owner Tom Hicks, after it was suggested that the Reds chief executive should be present by DIC officials.

"DIC made moves again on Thursday. They will be back around the table before 19th August."

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I'd say it's BS alright Karma.
    TB saying

Forget Keane.
    His four year contract would mean that by the time he was 31, the contract would be up and his sell on value would be £0, cause he could leave on a Bosman!
    :p

I dunno if I can go through all this DIC vs G+H thing again...

I'd nearly prefer to read through all the Gareth Barry - will he go/wont he go thread.

I'd nearly prefer to read through all the Gareth Barry - will he go/wont he go thread.

I blame Souness for it all.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

From the internet forum rumours bag - fwiw - ShanksLegend on RAWK has been right on stuff before. We shall see
    Quote from: ShanksLegend on Yesterday at 09:56:41 PM
    We have agreed everything with Villa Steve Finnan still going the other way.... We are waiting for funds to cross from the owners this should be done today, it looks as if he may travel up tomorrow.

Last i know they are talking about a 4 year contract...

And there will be another player coming in by the looks of things
    Quote from: ShanksLegend on Yesterday at 10:51:11 PM
    Just to think i come home earlier full made up.

Anyway as regards to the alternative, there are people on here who know who it is and this was backed up by another regular poster.

Elisha was also getting stick about Robbie Keane's signing on YNWA, all we can do is post what were told.

I wouldn't worry about it for now - that article above supposedly from Sky Sports
    DIC confirm Reds talks
    11:30 - 08 August 2008
    looks very suspiciously like it's from about 6 months ago and someone has just updated the date on it.

Hopefully they are talking again but apart from one blog post there doesn't appear to anything to suggest they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

zAbbo wrote: »
    Yup, new owners is a priority, and a feckin new stadium.

When we finally get rid of the yanks, it will be the textbook example of the diaster that can happen when selling your club to foreign investers.

Once people rememebr that DIC are just like the yanks, only better at it. They are the lesser of two evils, but still an evil. Fool me once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

PHB wrote: »
    Once people rememebr that DIC are just like the yanks, only better at it. They are the lesser of two evils, but still an evil. Fool me once...
    True, but unless we suddenly unearth a Billionaire benefactor/die hard fan then they seem a decent option and definetly more financially secure than G+H. They won't have problems raising funds however they decide to do it.
    Should they take over, I could see DIC investing in the stadium and then deciding to sell Liverpool as the club's potential value would rise significantly if they are playing in a shiny new stadium. It's how football club ownership is now....very uncertain :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

How could we possibly forget when you kindly post the same thing time and time and time again?

More interested in who this "other player" could be than Barry tbh. Though nowhere else is reporting anything similar so I doubt it's anything - maybe another youf player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PiE wrote: »
    How could we possibly forget when you kindly post the same thing time and time and time again?

More interested in this who "other player" could be than Barry tbh. Though nowhere else is reporting anything similar so I doubt it's anything - maybe another youf player.

I bet its Riera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Anyone else think that we should have looked at Reyes on loan for a year? He went to Benfica today on a year loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Tusky wrote: »
    I bet its Riera.

I bet it's not :pac: :)

If we do get Barry and there is another signing, it'll probably be some young fella on the cheap or someone on a free. No mon no fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

emc2 wrote: »
    Anyone else think that we should have looked at Reyes on loan for a year? He went to Benfica today on a year loan.
    Not me anyway. He looked sulky and dis-interested whenever he played for Arsenal and also failed to adapt to the English way of life.

Yo - Liverpool fans : 25 questions for the coming season competition.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56833817#post56833817

Reyes is so Spanish that he turned his London home into a fax of his mothers house back home, then he bought his mum over and it still didn't allow him to settle. I doubt the Costa Kirby would be any better tbh.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Whatever ever happend to Guilemes english speaking player who isn't English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,315 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

think it was degen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Cyrus wrote: »
    think it was degen?

I think you're right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

or Robbie Keane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Robbie Keane surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Had a dream last night that featured Rick Parry being completely incompetent and nonchalant about it.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Had a dream last night that featured Rick Parry being completely incompetent and nonchalant about it.

What was he wearing?

I never watch the friendlys online except tonight I wont be at home but I will have internet access and a couple of hours spare.
    I came across this link to an online stream

http://myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=16126&part=sports

Whats the catch, will it just steam from the link?

Has anyone here experience of this ar similiar sites

• Advertisement

Just click away if its Mediaplayer (the other needs a software download), or go to www.justin.tv and select sport

Mike.

I never watch the friendlys online except tonight I wont be at home but I will have internet access and a couple of hours spare.

No, youre gonna need to download tvants or a similar program. Once the program is installed and you click on the link, it should play.

sign up to www.football4less.com - you will find all the info you need there. They post up all working links in the 'live football' forum. Theres should be links to all the programs also.

If it goes of without a hitch it should stream from the player. I've used Sopcast and I think its' NetAnts or TVAnts, before and they worked fine. Quality is a bit meh but its gratis :)

There is something so satisfying about watching SkySports matches free on the internet

Thanks very much Lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

PiE wrote: »
    More interested in who this "other player" could be than Barry tbh. Though nowhere else is reporting anything similar so I doubt it's anything - maybe another youf player.

if robinho goes to chelsea would joe cole be surplus? Can't see them letting him move to anfield tho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement