Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

event wrote: »
    so you think robbie keane is a prolific goal scorer?

fair enough, i dont, and the fact he has 176 club goals in 472 games, a goal every 2.68 games, would point to that too, but no doubt ill be told im wrong, so ill leave it at that

Maybe he would have flourished if given a bit more time to prove himself at Liveprool. His record at Spurs is very comparable to Torres' record with At. Madrid.

According to wikipedia, Torres had a strike rate of 2.61 at At. Madrid. Hardly much better than Torres, who has become very prolific at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Maybe he would have flourished if given a bit more time to prove himself at Liveprool. His record at Spurs is very comparable to Torres' record with At. Madrid.

According to wikipedia, Torres had a strike rate of 2.61 at At. Madrid. Hardly much better than Torres, who has become very prolific at Liverpool.
    Come on Mitch, lets get real here. Their stats may have been similar but even Stevie Wonder could have seen that Torres was twice the player Keane could ever dream of being. Torres is an excellent player, Keane's a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pighead wrote: »
    Come on Mitch, lets get real here. Their stats may have been similar but even Stevie Wonder could have seen that Torres was twice the player Keane could ever dream of being. Torres is an excellent player, Keane's a good one.

Yeah - Torres is a better player, but the fact is that his scoring record wasn't as great for At. Madrid as it is for Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

5starpool wrote: »
    I came here to read about Liverpool. Seems like I shouldn't have bothered really.
    Unfortunatly i agree with you. Don't know why i bother anymore.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

spockety wrote: »
    Setanta has been good if you're a Liverpool fan this season.

Number of appearances on Setanta for entire season (does not include Setanta Ireland prior to Dec 1st, don't have that info to hand):

13 Liverpool
    9 West Ham
    9 Sunderland
    9 Arsenal
    8 Man Utd
    7 Tottenham
    6 Newcastle
    6 Everton
    6 Chelsea
    6 Aston Villa
    5 Portsmouth
    5 Man City
    5 Hull City
    5 Fulham
    4 Middlesbrough
    4 Manchester United
    4 Blackburn
    3 West Ham United
    3 Bolton
    2 Stoke City
    2 Stoke
    2 Newcastle United
    2 Bolton Wanderers
    1 West Brom
    1 WBA
    1 Middlesbrough
    1 Hull
    1 Fulham

From the 1st December 2008 to the end of the season:

11 Liverpool
    6 Sunderland
    6 Newcastle
    6 Arsenal
    5 West Ham
    5 Tottenham
    5 Man Utd
    5 Hull City
    4 Manchester United
    4 Everton
    3 West Ham United
    3 Portsmouth
    3 Middlesbrough
    3 Fulham
    3 Chelsea
    3 Blackburn
    3 Aston Villa
    2 Stoke City
    2 Newcastle United
    2 Bolton Wanderers
    2 Bolton
    1 WBA
    1 Man City

I have 4 on top of that until dec on setanta ireland. basically all our games were on tv until dec I think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

getting sick and tired of slogging through this thread trying to seperate the tidbits of a bored utd fan trying to score points on an imaginary table and any actual liverpool talk.

ur like f**kin ronaldo boggles. just randomly opening and shutting ur gob about some inane subject in a vain effort to get some column space.
    ill give you a tip - no1 really cares that much. stop spamming

yesterday i think there was talk about rafa mentioning that he could "possibly" break the transfer record. which was also preceded by the s*n talking up a transfer for tevez which was frankly ludicrous.
    i reckon the s*n got wind of this before rafa made any announcements and in a bid to sell papers and also p1ss off liverpool they came up with this mad story about how much money we have to spend on someone like tevez, which will ultimately not benefit us as we dont really have that much money and if the media says we do then the likely hood of good business been done is minimal. people may think thats a bit paranoid, but those are probably the same ppl that dont really understand how a media corporation like News Corp works. its every little victory

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This thread is a bit of a mish mash alright,sometimes I don't post for days.

Dub13 wrote: »

i blame individuals tbh. just pages and pages of nothing posts about ifs buts and maybes all designed to just try and score points. its just irritating and frankly, something should be done about it.
    sick and tired of the merry-go-round on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

..................or a few weeks :pac: ;)

I'm just surprised that some feel they have to reply to some of the arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe mega-threads could have a dedicated mod? Not to surpress the likes of PHB or Headshot but, you know "others" who only drop by for one purpose.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe mega-threads could have a dedicated mod? Not to surpress the likes of PHB or Headshot but, you know "others" who only drop by for one purpose.

Keep any ideas you may have for the review we have planned once the season is over,all ideas will be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

A Liverpool sub forum please, this thread does not work

As important as it is to have opinions from fans of other teams from time to time i think this thread has descended into a farce of late. Certain posters (everyone knows who they are) seem to get a kick coming into the thread just to stir sh!t.

On the whole Tevez thing i think it's the media looking for something that is'nt there TBH. If we where to blow a wad of cash on one player i'd rather we went the extra mile and made a serious bid for villa. He would imo bring much much more to the squad. Saying that who knows who we will have to offload to fund his purchase. If it meant Dossena,Degan and Babel then it's okay by me but if it means Alonso then i'd think it was a step sidewards rather than upwards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Highsider wrote: »
    As important as it is to have opinions from fans of other teams from time to time i think this thread has descended into a farce of late. Certain posters (everyone knows who they are) seem to get a kick coming into the thread just to stir sh!t.

Rich coming from you.......
    What an embarrasment that man is.
    Yes i did thanks and the man is still an embarrasment.:rolleyes:

When you realise you are part of the problem only then can you become part of the solution.

When you realise you are part of the problem only then can you become part of the solution.

followed by -

ironing

What posting in my own teams thread about the rubbish ferguson comes out with about LFC. (let's face it he's done a lot of that of recent) Yeah i'm part of the problem alright.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I know that I dont post a lot but I would read this thread every few days and the sh** you do have to trawl through is beyond me and it's always the same few posters. Tit for tat arguments every few days. I would really be interested what age some of you are.

As for the Tevez talk, as much as id like us to sign him I cant see it happening.:(

Jazzy wrote: »
    followed by -

ironing

What people are starting to point fingers at posters causing trouble in here when they have no right to be when they cause ****.
    What posting in my own teams thread about the rubbish ferguson comes out with about LFC. (let's face it he's done a lot of that of recent) Yeah i'm part of the problem alright.:rolleyes:

No thats not what you did. You refused to answer my questions at the time about it so I won't go through it again.

What people are starting to point fingers at posters causing trouble in here when they have no right to be when they cause ****.

No thats not what you did. You refused to answer my questions at the time about it so I won't go through it again.
    Yeah because i look through every single post you make there bud.:rolleyes: I REFUSED to answer your question. lol
    Just had a look at your "question" there. Which part would you like me to answer? The part where you insulted me? Grow up would ya. What age are you. Seriously.

• Advertisement

Ahem, I'm goin' out on a limb here, have been in and out of here over the past few weeks, this may have been discusssed, but this Insua chap has really impressed me this season.

I know he's only started 9 games and featured as a sub in 1 other[in the league and never on the loosing side ;)], hoping we'll see more of him next season.

A shame he had to bugger off earlier in the year for an underage tournament, he was on a decent run before that.

Yeah because i look through every single post you make there bud.:rolleyes: I REFUSED to answer your question. lol
    Just had a look at your "question" there. Which part would you like me to answer? The part where you insulted me? Grow up would ya. What age are you. Seriously.

You post arguments consisting of "What an embarrassment that man is" and you question my age. Maybe if you tried to have a reasonable discussion every now and again, people would respond to you normally.

You posted like a ten year old so I responded like I was talking to one.

You posted reasonably today, and I believe I responded reasonably today.

Tonight you have gone back into child mode blaming all the bad bad United posters for ruining your thread.

Ok folks can we try and get this thread back to some sort of normality,so only LFC related posts from here on in please.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

jaysus lads, some of ye get awful worked up over people posting

ye are aware that there is an ignore option?
    i have placed some people on ignore before, its not a big deal. if you say that there are always the same people posting shíte, ignore them

it really is that simple

You post arguments consisting of "What an embarrassment that man is" and you question my age. Maybe if you tried to have a reasonable discussion every now and again, people would respond to you normally.

You posted like a ten year old so I responded like I was talking to one.

You posted reasonably today, and I believe I responded reasonably today.

Tonight you have gone back into child mode blaming all the bad bad United posters for ruining your thread.

I stick by what i said. Ferguson is an embarrasment with some of the rubbish he comes out with. I do blame SOME united posters for ruining the thread. They seem to get a kick out of it like i said. I won't swoop to your level by making comments like "maybe if you tried to have a reasonable discussion every now and then" and "you posted like a ten year old" etc...the reason i won't swoop to that level is because this thread is about discussing LFC not insulting other posters. Maybe you should do likewise no?

Ok folks can we try and get this thread back to some sort of normality,so only LFC related posts from here on in please.

Dub13
    Posted response after seeing this. That's fine by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

stoop

Good point. Keane could have flourished if given a bit more time, or it could have gone the other and we would'nt have gotten a decent transfer fee for him. Still think he is a good player (with a bad attitude) and in fairness i believed he would be a hit at liverpool. Good luck to him either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Ahem, I'm goin' out on a limb here, have been in and out of here over the past few weeks, this may have been discusssed, but this Insua chap has really impressed me this season.

I know he's only started 9 games and featured as a sub in 1 other[in the league and never on the loosing side ;)], hoping we'll see more of him next season.

A shame he had to bugger off earlier in the year for an underage tournament, he was on a decent run before that.

Yea. Seeing insua on the pitch it good incentive for future players.
    Can see him scoring a screamer with that left leg of his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Haven't posted here for a few weeks
    Couldn't believe what I was seeing pages upon pages of Robbie keane Jesus lads move on enough has been said about it .Hope Sami has a great day on Sunday , what a player, what a man an absoloute Liverpool legend .
    Hope he return some day in a coaching role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yes Sami is and always will be a Liverpool legend and i do hope he comes back in some sort of coaching capacity. From what his team mates have said about him over the years he is a true professional so this should stand to him in a coaching capacity.

• Advertisement

Good luck Sami.

Finish it off with a header into the Kop :)
    Liverpool will mourn not just the passing of another league title on Sunday but a symbol of their recovery, and one must return to the Liverpool that Sami Hyypia joined in May 1999 to understand the depth of gratitude that will follow the Finn out of Anfield when he joins Bayer Leverkusen this summer.

Europe for Liverpool a decade ago was not permanent residence in the latter stages of the Champions League, it was occasional qualification and, in 1998-99, exiting the third round of the Uefa Cup to Celta Vigo. The Premier League was not a story of progress and a near-miss: they finished seventh, behind Leeds, West Ham and Aston Villa and two points ahead of Derby County. Their fans delighted in *Rigobert Song's early form and Gérard Houllier had yet to rid the dressing room of the indiscipline he believed was a * cancer on the club.

A few days after that season closed with a 3–0 victory over Wimbledon, it was announced that an unknown defender from Willem II would be signing for £2.6m. A new chapter began with Sami Tuomas Hyypia at its heart. At Anfield on Sunday, following one European Cup, one Uefa Cup, two FA Cups, two League Cups, two European Super Cups and his 464th appearance for Liverpool, it ends.

The *private man who refuses to dwell on the past is not looking forward to it. "I won't like being the centre of attention, not at all. But in this case I have no choice," admits the 35-year-old, who may retake the captain's armband for the visit of Tottenham. "It is not like I am retiring. I have a new challenge ahead of me but it will be very emotional and it is better not to think about that too much before the game."

Hyypia's reluctance to look back explains his reasoning for moving on. After 10 years' outstanding service the model professional was offered a role in Rafael Benítez's coaching team, possibly a testimonial with it, and continued involvement from the sidelines. He rejected it, and several other deals from Premier League clubs, to extend his playing career for two more years in Germany.

"I would have had to move house wherever I went so I thought, why not a different country and a different league?" he explains. "Plus Leverkusen really wanted me. For 10 years I have played in the same league, in the same stadiums and against the same clubs mainly, so now I have a chance to go to Germany which is a good league.

"I still feel I have something to give to the game. I come to training every day and work my bollocks off to play, not to sit at home and watch the games on the telly. It is very hard when I don't play and this season has been very hard mentally. I seriously thought about hanging my boots up at the end of this season but everyone I know who has retired, such as Gary *McAllister, has told me I should play as long as I can. I have shown when I have played this season that I can still play to a high level."

Liverpool have ultimately paid £5,603 per game for their longest-serving foreign import since Bruce Grobbelaar, Sunday included, although there is no figure that gauges the influence Hyypia has had on their dressing room since 1999.

"I didn't have any expectations or goals when I joined, I just thought I would work hard and see what happens," admits the man who, in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp, captained Liverpool to the cup treble of 2001. "With Houllier there was more improvement in our league positions. With Benítez the highlight was obviously the Champions League but we have been in the same position in the league more or less and then a big improvement this season. He is more of a perfectionist than Houllier in terms of the little details that might be crucial to a result, and he will improve.

"When I compare the side we had in 1999 and the one we have now, there is a massive difference but the game has gone forward as well. The players are much quicker and stronger now. I'm not saying we had a bad team in '99, but the game has changed and it is more demanding now."

Istanbul and Michael Owen's pickpocketing of Arsenal in the 2001 FA Cup final are Hyypia's Liverpool highlights, Steven Gerrard and Thierry Henry the best players he has performed with and against. His medal collection is complete at Anfield with the notable exception of the Premier League, but even that gaping hole does not consume Hyypia with regret.

"I am sad to miss that medal but I don't think I have anything to regret," he insists. "Next season it might happen but I only play 10 games and I wouldn't get a medal anyway. That played a part in my decision to leave. When I first came here I couldn't have believed I would be here for 10 years and win the things I have won. I am sadder for the fans that Liverpool haven't won the Premier League than for myself. I will keep my fingers crossed that the fans get what they deserve."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/22/sami-hyypia-liverpool-leaving-bayer-leverkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

.Hope Sami has a great day on Sunday , what a player, what a man an absoloute Liverpool legend .
    Hope he return some day in a coaching role

Absolutely. Hope Sami enjoys his last game and gets a proper send off from everyone. I was hoping that there might have been a testimonial for him if he had have stayed on for another year, oh well.
    A hero, a legend, a true red. A man that never backed down from any challenge and always led the team like a true gentleman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

At last we are back on track,Sami deserves more of a mention here than Keane ever did.
    Who cares about Keane?
    Hes overrated hugely anyways. [he will most likely score on Sunday :) ]
    Nice guy and all that but hes gone and i for one am delighted as there was unrest at the club when he was there.

Now Sami is a different story,the man is an absolute legend.
    Very sad to see him go but happy to see him get more football.
    Id love to see him back with the super reds in a coaching role in the future.
    Lets hope he gets the captains armband for his fairwell.

Thanks for a fantastic decade Sami!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I'm gonna be sad on Sunday :(

Sami has been one of my favourite players since he joined 'Pool. Absolutely rock solid. How many points a Sami performance saved us will never be gauged.

I'd love to see him return after he plays a bit in Germany - the man obviously has a love and a passion for the game that no-one here will ever be able to understand or emulate.

Best of luck Sami, from your Irish followers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sami 11/2 to score anytime with PP, get on it as I know I am.:D

Dcully wrote: »
    At last we are back on track,Sami deserves more of a mention here than Keane ever did.
    Who cares about Keane?
    Hes overrated hugely anyways. [he will most likely score on Sunday :) ]
    Nice guy and all that but hes gone and i for one am delighted as there was unrest at the club when he was there.

Now Sami is a different story,the man is an absolute legend.
    Very sad to see him go but happy to see him get more football.
    Id love to see him back with the super reds in a coaching role in the future.
    Lets hope he gets the captains armband for his fairwell.

Thanks for a fantastic decade Sami!
    Yeah Sami is a legend. Will miss the Big Finn

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Normally I want a comfortable Liverpool victory in every game, but a 3-2 win with the winner coming in injury time from a corner with Sami getting a majestic bullet headed goal would be the stuff of dreams. Actually, make it 4-3 with a Gerrard hattrick in there too so that he wins the golden boot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Best of luck Sami, from your Irish followers :)

I meant to say, how glad i am that he is gone abroad to Germany for something new and exciting for him and his family, and not went to somewhere like Bolton (not meant as disrespect to Bolton) Think it shows that he has alot of ambition left and says alot about his character.

Oh Sam Sami...........................

000AAB17-2DA1-1207-87CD80BFB6FA0000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Sami is a legend and it will be sad to see him go

The number of times he has popped up unmarked in the penalty area is unreal
    How the hell do opposition player miss a 6 foot 4 inch blonde lad in the penalty box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

Report: Napoli Reject Liverpool’s €22m Bid For Ezequiel Lavezzi
    According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.
    The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli’s 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

• Advertisement

Sounds highly unlikely to me.

Sami to be Liverpool captain again on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

...and 7 goals in 28 games looks poor to me

Slow news day story me thinks.

I hope thats not the transfer Rafa was alluding to in the reports posted earlier..... A 4:1 games:goals ratio and 5 yellow cards....

Sure, he's young, and a prospect, but he's not the type of player we need right now - not most urgently anyway.

Might take that bet on Sami btw, nearly 6/1. If we even got a penalty, I wonder if Gerrard would let him take it for the craic :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I actually had a dream last night about that I've just remembered. We got a penalty in the last minute and Sami took it. He missed though :( although we stil lwon the game 4-0 :)

Stevie on Sami

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164472090522-0849.htm
    Asked how he assessed Hyypia's decade with the club, Gerrard told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It's difficult to put into words. He's been fantastic for us - a colossus.

"He certainly deserves legendary status and he's definitely one of the best players I've ever played with. They're the biggest compliments I can pay Sami."

More in link...

And just to add, BEST OF LUCK TO OUR U-18's TONIGHT!!!
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164461090522-0841.htm

Hopefully I'll be at home and watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

5starpool wrote: »
    Normally I want a comfortable Liverpool victory in every game, but a 3-2 win with the winner coming in injury time from a corner with Sami getting a majestic bullet headed goal would be the stuff of dreams. Actually, make it 4-3 with a Gerrard hattrick in there too so that he wins the golden boot ;)

Make it a clean sheet so Pepe gets the golden gloves. again.

Carra will explode if anything gets past Pepe. A nice 4-0 with Gerrard HT and Sami header will do

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

mike65 wrote: »
    Carra will explode if anything gets past Pepe. A nice 4-0 with Gerrard HT and Sami header will do

Or one of Sami`s sweet little volleys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

lint316 wrote: »
    Report: Napoli Reject Liverpool’s €22m Bid For Ezequiel Lavezzi

This guy is faaaast. Looks a great little player and seems to be able to play on the left/center/right. Look at the speed of him at 0.40 seconds in that video.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement